How to defeat Mad King Thorn at level 21?

in Halloween Event

Posted by: idmew.6198

idmew.6198

So I’m trying to defeat the Mad King but it’s pretty much impossible for me at level 21.
And it’s only me vs him and his minions there’s no other players helping me.
Am I wasting my time or can I actually beat him?
Thanks.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Nikkala.5842

Nikkala.5842

Join a pick up group or find some friends to go in with you—although you get leveled up to 80, you’re really supposed to fight him in a group of five.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Ryadell.7163

Ryadell.7163

1) No, you’re actually level 80. It scales you up for the instance. I’m only level 19, and I went through that dungeon as lvl 80.

2) Why not just find a group? It’s really easy to find one, just post “lfg mk” in the map channel in Lion’s Arch. Trust me, I’m usually terrible at getting in a group (social anxiety) but I’ve already done it a few times.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: kagejuin.4713

kagejuin.4713

1) No, you’re actually level 80. It scales you up for the instance. I’m only level 19, and I went through that dungeon as lvl 80.

2) Why not just find a group? It’s really easy to find one, just post “lfg mk” in the map channel in Lion’s Arch. Trust me, I’m usually terrible at getting in a group (social anxiety) but I’ve already done it a few times.

being kicked upto 80 means he’s running a lvl 80 character with armor that is presumably even lower than lvl 21, which means he is not prepared to fight. If you don’t know how the scaling system works, please don’t assume stuff.

The game kicks him up, but he is under geared. so yes, he is taking a beating.

in Halloween Event

idmew.6198

ohh I didn’t know I’m actually level 80 fighting him.
I managed to get his health down by a quarter, and he moved down one level.
I’ll exit to lion’s arch to see if anybody wants to help me, otherwise this could take all night.

in Halloween Event

kagejuin.4713

ohh I didn’t know I’m actually level 80 fighting him.
I managed to get his health down by a quarter, and he moved down one level.
I’ll exit to lion’s arch to see if anybody wants to help me, otherwise this could take all night.

sounds good. Join an active guild. It helps.

Do realise you are lv 80 with at most, lv 21 armor and weapons. So you are still weak in comparison

in Halloween Event

Posted by: green plum.7514

green plum.7514

I defeated him at level 12, with three other guys. Nobody was even downed once (I did die, but it was because of a misplaced jump ^^). The fight was surely fun, but it wasn’t hard at all.

@kagejuin: the weapons are upscaled as well, to a comparable-quality level 80 weapons. What one is missing are the additional points from the traits (I am still not sure whether these are upscaled as well, need to do more testing) and trait abilities. Basically, the atributes of an upscaled lvl 10 character are around 30% less compared to a fully exotic geared level 80. It is a significant difference, but you can still contribute a lot.

in Halloween Event

idmew.6198

I typed “lfg mk” and people joined me right way, thanks for this great tip!
So I beat him twice now with other groups, too bad the rewards weren’t that great.
ohh well, atleast it was a fun event and the theme was perfect.

in Halloween Event

kagejuin.4713

hmm, however the difference does hurt your drop rate I have felt it in this game since I don’t play burst damage. Went from mesmer to thief and suddenly saw a huge influx of greens and blues through normal gameplay.

So…. I call bullox.

If you are a fully geared lvl 80 helping a lvl 21, you are helping yourself more. your buddy won’t get any good drops at all