Hurricane Sandy Interrupts our Halloween Event [Merged]

in Halloween Event

Posted by: DreadLordMikey.5479

DreadLordMikey.5479

So many negative replies. Seriously, what’s up with that?

All the OP asked for was that the devs consider extending the event if power outages occur due to the hurricane.

How does that negatively impact anyone? How does that constitute a sense of self-entitlement? How does that warrant any of the snide, snarky comments that have been posted here?

Seriously, people. Get down off of your high horses, stop waving your peckers around, and take his request at face value. It’s not an unreasonable request. No one who suffers power loss due to a natural disaster does so by choice. And while you can argue that the devs aren’t under any obligation to satisfy every request, it is in their best interests to do so in this case for a number of reasons.

For one, there’s precedent. For another, it fosters good will among the players. And finally, there’s the PR.

Try to see things from a bigger perspective than your own.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Dagger.4056

Dagger.4056

Dear Arenanet, us players here on the East Coast are about to get hit by, or are in the middle of getting hit by a Hurricane. Due to the weather, most of us will probably miss the finale of the event. All of us here on the East Coast would GREATLY appreciate it if you could hold a second one next week, when all of our power’s are back, please?

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Blackwolfe.5649

Blackwolfe.5649

Well I wouldnt mind them extending the event, just leaves the rest of us more time to complete stuff. Is it right for them to do so, I couldnt say.

Colin Johansen casts – Working As Intended
Colin Johansen hits you for 239407889 damage
Game over

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Home Style.9640

Home Style.9640

Yeah. Philly <——

We are getting hit tomorrow at night. It’s going to kitten our power. An extension would be nice but very unlikely.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Chessrook.8643

Chessrook.8643

First I just want to make clear, I know this is minor for those of us who are in the path of the hurricane but I figure I may as well mention this while I can.

With all the expected power outages throughout the northeast of the US, a very populated area, and how many people would miss the Finale on Halloween because of it… I ask that you please, PLEASE do a repeat of the Finale a week after or something for those of us who cannot access the game due to evacuations or loss of power.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Sister Sola.8109

Sister Sola.8109

If the storm knocks out power for a large number of players, there’s a good chance ANet will extend or run Act 4 again. They’ve done it before in GW1 due to the same issue.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Shostie.6435

Shostie.6435

I live in DC and have PEPCO (worst urban utility in the US). I’m expecting my power to be out for a week even if the hurricane misses us.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Typhoon Blue.3698

Typhoon Blue.3698

I live right in the path of the nor’easter. Aren’t things supposed to start long after 3 PM EST? I heard it’s supposed to get bad on Monday into Tuesday.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Zero Blaze.6145

Zero Blaze.6145

Chessrook beat me to it. I Logged on to address the same issue. Many ppl on the east cost can be without power for as much as 10 days after the storm, and it wouldn’t be fair for them to miss the first Halloween event in the game. A-net made an exception and extended a Holiday event in GW1 one point in time because of a natural disaster that left people without power a few years back. I hope this event won’t be any different.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

I’m sorry for you guys, but that’s life. They’re not going to extend it for the Eskimos who are being evacuated because their land is melting due to global warming any more than they are for East-Coasters due to a storm.

I used to live in Nebraska (ya, I know) and would constantly have power outage due to lightning strikes and tornadoes taking out the lines between the power plants and my town. I missed out on 3 different events in WoW because of this, but I never begged for them to do the events again or extend them. Just learned to deal with it.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

I definitely support this. This is a very bad weekend for limited time only events. Can we please get a “historical Lion’s Arch” instance that people can visit to continue participating in Halloween events that are yet to come?

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Gilandred.9870

Gilandred.9870

Personally, I’m not bothered if they extend the event. I live in the US Midwest where ice storms are common in the winter, and severe weather in the spring. From Anet’s standpoint, I’d be concerned about setting a precedent. At what point do you modify your in-game events due to real world ones?

in Halloween Event

Posted by: nalsh.4385

nalsh.4385

Guys, I’m sorry – but it’s not like this is storm going to knock out the entire NE’s power. You’re being hyperbolic.

Source: A Floridian

(edited by nalsh.4385)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

DC area here, and I have a generator which let me keep the fridge and computer running in last summer’s storm. I expect I can still play (as long as no tree falls on my house -crosses fingers-). But still, yeah, odds are good I won’t have external power for several days given how long it always takes PepCo to get to my subdivision’s power feed.

I like the idea of a “historic” instance to do the event a bit longer for those who are internet-less for the peak of the event.

in Halloween Event

Shostie.6435

Guys, I’m sorry – but it’s not like this is storm going to knock out the entire NE’s power.

I used to live in south Florida. I’ve been through category 3 and 4 storms that didn’t even knock my power out. The biggest difference between Florida and the northeastern US when it comes to electrical power reliability is trees. The second biggest difference is corruption (state and local governments have allowed power companies to pocket profits in lieu of maintaining the power grid, which has reduced reliability).

A storm came through the DC/MD/VA region in July and it knocked out the power for several million people for days, literally. This wasn’t even a hurricane or a tornado, it was just a nasty thunderstorm.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: TurtleofPower.5641

TurtleofPower.5641

Guys, I’m sorry – but it’s not like this is storm going to knock out the entire NE’s power.

Irene had a lot of people in the NE without power for up to a week. I was one of them.

We are reasonably worried about this happening again. The storm is going to stall up here for like 24-48 hours of high winds! That can feasibly wipe us off the power grid. You have LOTS of trees near lines in the NE. It’s becoming a disaster all the time now and we really need all underground lines.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Moderator.9672

Moderator.9672

Hi,

For more visibility the threads were merged, please refrain from making duplicate threads about this topic.

Users breaking those rules risk an infraction, for more information, please have a look at our forum Code of Conduct

(edited by Moderator.9672)

in Halloween Event

Shostie.6435

well Hurricane Irene was supposed to be bad and we didn’t even get flooded….
and I’ve farther from the water

Irene didn’t flood anything where I live, but my power was still out for 4 days…PEPCO.

http://northpotomac.patch.com/articles/hurricane-irene-aftermath-more-than-450000-without-power-in-maryland-4

O’Malley is in bed with PEPCO.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: nalsh.4385

nalsh.4385

Gotcha, didn’t know about those things. Hope everyone stays safe!

in Halloween Event

Shostie.6435

Irene had a lot of people in the NE without power for up to a week. I was one of them.

We are reasonably worried about this happening again. The storm is going to stall up here for like 24-48 hours of high winds! That can feasibly wipe us off the power grid. You have LOTS of trees near lines in the NE. It’s becoming a disaster all the time now and we really need all underground lines.

Speaking as an electrical power engineer, moving all lines underground simply isn’t feasible. It’s incredibly expensive (both to install and repair, should there be an outage) and it also reduces their lifespan. Every line that is a candidate to be buried needs to be subjected to a cost-benefit analysis.

What (privately owned) electrical utilities really need to do is stop pocketing so much profit and spend that money on maintenance. The purpose of the utility is to supply power, not to be a source of profit. Not all privately owned utilities are poorly run, but many are, and many of the best run utilities are cooperatives (where year-end profit is returned to the customers).

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Sera.6539

Sera.6539

I used to live in south Florida. I’ve been through category 3 and 4 storms that didn’t even knock my power out. The biggest difference between Florida and the northeastern US when it comes to electrical power reliability is trees. The second biggest difference is corruption (state and local governments have allowed power companies to pocket profits in lieu of maintaining the power grid, which has reduced reliability).

A storm came through the DC/MD/VA region in July and it knocked out the power for several million people for days, literally. This wasn’t even a hurricane or a tornado, it was just a nasty thunderstorm.

Oh god that storm. That was in the middle of some 80-90 degree weather too if I recall. It took the power companies a hell of a long time to get power back for everyone. I managed to get it back in 2 days, then lost it again for awhile at another small thunderstorm. My friends in another city didn’t get it back for a week.

If this storm is anything like that thunderstorm back in July – and this will likely be worse – the power is gonna be out for days.

Gelda Nebilim – Nagare [NGE] – Crystal Desert
http://youtube.com/user/Royblazer

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

I think this is something they should consider if there is worse aftermath then expected. As in, a majority of power outage/takes longer time to get it back up. Considering a majority of the USA population lives in the North East area. :/

I have no complaints about letting Halloween run on a bit longer. I mean, there is no harm in it. Cause I doubt we will have one centered around thanksgiving or anything, at least to this quality.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Akio.3849

Akio.3849

I’m in upstate new york, were going to get hit extremely hard since we also have a cold front that is going to be right over us when we get hit by the hurricane. And for those of you thinking “It’s a small area, why punish the world?” I don’t know what your thinking, but the east coast of the united states is no small area. and you wouldn’t be getting punished at all, you would get Halloween drops for a longer time than us on the east coast would.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

I think this is something they should consider if there is worse aftermath then expected. As in, a majority of power outage/takes longer time to get it back up. Considering a majority of the USA population lives in the North East area. :/

I have no complaints about letting Halloween run on a bit longer. I mean, there is no harm in it. Cause I doubt we will have one centered around thanksgiving or anything, at least to this quality.

Guess what, though? The USA is NOT the only country that plays this game and only makes up for 50-60% of the game’s population. The rest are in EU, Australia, Asia, South America, Canada, and so forth. Just because one storm effects a certain population, doesn’t mean that population is the center of the world.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

Guess what, though? The USA is NOT the only country that plays this game and only makes up for 50-60% of the game’s population. The rest are in EU, Australia, Asia, South America, Canada, and so forth. Just because one storm effects a certain population, doesn’t mean that population is the center of the world.

I wasn’t saying it was because of that because it was the US. I don’t even live in the US. But I would say that every country or area if it was something that was part of the player base should have the ability to experience everything even if natural disasters happen. Granted they happen all the time, everywhere.

I can see why a company wouldn’t want to extend things for that such causes, because then they’d have to do it for everyone that had a bad snow storm or something all the time. So I can see why they may be best at avoiding it as well.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Trock Bronze.9625

Trock Bronze.9625

Just because the eastern states do not represent the entire player base or the majority does not mean this is not a reasonable request. All those saying deal with it should consider themselves in the same situation as I doubt you would be saying the same things. Many people love to collect and want to experience everything, they don’t get to because the power goes out it sucks, but when a huge amount of people, states go out of power, there ought to be consideration. It’s not our fault that a freak storm is coming, this isn’t like, “Im going to miss it because I have a halloween party to go to on the same day”.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: jwburks.9735

jwburks.9735

Some people have nowhere to go. How do you think people living near kittenushima feel?

We heard . . . we listened . . . we ignored.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: thereturnedhero.3284

thereturnedhero.3284

Well best of luck to all of you players living in the East Coast! Stay safe…and hopefully we get a longer Halloween events!
<3 Be careful!

Member of The Legacy [OBEY]
Commander on Fort Aspenwood Server

in Halloween Event

Trock Bronze.9625

I may not be able to craft these legendary halloween items but I want this last part event item if there is one. I can’t even have a friend collect an extra one to give me in the future as they are soulbound. Maybe the 4th part wont have an item like that but it’d suck if it does. I love collecting things like this.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: RaXoR.8970

RaXoR.8970

Let’s put in 2 fun facts: Northeast holds 50,000,000 americans……and 1 out of every 5 american’s will be affected by this storm.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: kanevigil.8432

kanevigil.8432

Wow.. a hurricane is about to hit you and all you people care about is missing an event you can Youtube later? Is seeing something really so important that you can think of nothing else like your families and homes? Someone WILL be recording this and it will look the same in a video as it will being in game for it. Take care of your real lives and be grateful you live in an age where people can record and post the things you want to see.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Sera.6539

Sera.6539

Wow.. a hurricane is about to hit you and all you people care about is missing an event you can Youtube later? Is seeing something really so important that you can think of nothing else like your families and homes? Someone WILL be recording this and it will look the same in a video as it will being in game for it. Take care of your real lives and be grateful you live in an age where people can record and post the things you want to see.

It’s not the one time event people are talking about missing. It’s the last act/finale. Power outages can last multiple days, and from experience, the DC/MD/VA area takes a long time to get power back up. Those who lose their power will lose out on the last part of the Halloween event. I know in particular that nothing terribly dangerous usually happens in my vicinity, but power goes out for long periods of time.

Gelda Nebilim – Nagare [NGE] – Crystal Desert
http://youtube.com/user/Royblazer

in Halloween Event

Posted by: TurtleofPower.5641

TurtleofPower.5641

Quit trolling. This storm is not funny and obviously we’re preparing for it.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: nuliaja.2416

nuliaja.2416

I feel as if I’m the only who understands that people can worry about multiple things.
I live in NYC and police have already told my boyfriend to evacuate his home and stay else where (mind you, the hurricane hasn’t even started). Hell, the landlord already told him that his house might not even hold through the storm.

Even so, I know how to handle myself and I know what per-cautions I/we should make.
On that note, I still want to know how this event turns out. It isn’t a high priority but I’d still like to see this through. I -myself- live in an apartment so I do fear the lose of power. And I really do hope they consider making some sort of extension for us players on the east cost who will/might not be able to experience the ending of this event.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

I’m on the east coast as well (New York), and will be really kittened if I miss the last part of this. I’m really hoping nothing happens (irl) because of mother nature, but if it does, there really needs to be a way for us to be able to finish/see act 4 stuff of the event. Please extend if it really does become a problem.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

in Halloween Event

Trock Bronze.9625

yea The last event holds the last part of the emissary title as well, a title and perhaps item that people will loose out on because of something completely out of their control. while its not important as compared to other concerns, it is still an additional concern.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Anne Bathory.8150

Anne Bathory.8150

This storm is kinda worrying me too. The next couple of days are supposed to be not very fun for me. I hope it’s not so bad. The last hurricane we had here dropped part of a tree on my boyfriend’s car. These things are no fun.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Ryth.6518

Ryth.6518

ANet…need an update please.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: RaXoR.8970

RaXoR.8970

please update us! kitten

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Villious.8530

Villious.8530

“.5479
So many negative replies. Seriously, what’s up with that?
All the OP asked for was that the devs consider extending the event if power outages occur due to the hurricane.
How does that negatively impact anyone? How does that constitute a sense of self-entitlement? How does that warrant any of the snide, snarky comments that have been posted here?
Seriously, people. Get down off of your high horses, stop waving your peckers around, and take his request at face value. It’s not an unreasonable request. No one who suffers power loss due to a natural disaster does so by choice. And while you can argue that the devs aren’t under any obligation to satisfy every request, it is in their best interests to do so in this case for a number of reasons.
For one, there’s precedent. For another, it fosters good will among the players. And finally, there’s the PR.
Try to see things from a bigger perspective than your own.”

God it’s nice to see an intelligent post. Too many people here are either control freaks, rude by nature or have an obsession about kitten size. The word of the day is
c-o-m-p kitten i-o-n.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Villious.8530

Villious.8530

Edit – Lol. It “kittened” the word compa$$ion.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Arkenor.9523

Arkenor.9523

I’m over in Britain, far from the reach of such things as hurricanes. From what I see of them on the news, they’re pretty darn scary.

Does it do any harm to extend the event a bit? I can’t see that it does, so I don’t mind at all if that happens, to help out folks who may lose power to Sandy. I can’t really understand fellow-players who’d actively oppose that, but then I don’t understand a lot of forum behaviour.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: JarekCyphus.7068

JarekCyphus.7068

Gee, someone doesn’t agree and they are accused of trolling, just love how the internet has progressed over the years. I’m not trolling you, but I just don’t agree with them extending the event is all. Sure no harm in asking, I’m just voicing my opinion. And I doubt the majority of their playerbase is in those states alone, this game is world wide.

And trust me I’m looking forward to finishing this event as much as you. I just feel if I miss out due to mother nature, then oh well, there is always next year.

That’s pretty jacked, honestly. If a natural disaster occurred in your area, I’d be all for them extending it all the same. It’s one thing when it affects a small demographic of people in which a small margin of players may be impacted. It’s something else when it affects a measurable fraction of a coastal playerbase…especially since this game depends on sales, not subs, to generate revenue.

If anything, a 5-day extension is a MINOR request.

Judges of the Tarnished Coast
Sagardon Kahn – Guardian
Hagalaz Kahn – Warrior

in Halloween Event

Posted by: photodementia.3674

photodementia.3674

I been thru many hurricanes and power outages, all you gotta do is tether ya phone to ya laptop, plug yo laptop into yo vehicle and live in yo ride til power be back on. stay safe

in Halloween Event

Posted by: gadenp.7586

gadenp.7586

Well, if they actually extended the event because of Ms Sandy for the Americans.

They will be setting a precedence. In which they will have to extend or change events for any or all “problems/events/ disasters” that crop up across the whole world. Unless they want to say that Americans are special.

For example, Mad King cutscene was on my Monday morning 3am. They should have changed it because I had to work at 8am. Country election, change event time. Civil War is another location, extend again. Taiwan earthquake extend…

So yea, they should not do anything as this is an act of nature and is not under their control. And in doing so, they will need to start to do for all other reasons, which in the long run is very unhealthy.

I feel for those affected by Sandy, but this is a game and extending the time sets a precedence that most companies will try not to do.

(edited by gadenp.7586)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Kalea.9167

Kalea.9167

I honestly cannot believe people. The storm is 1000 miles in diameter, 11 foot swells predicted tonight. 50 million people are in its path, and they are predicting that some people will ultimately end up without power for up to a week.

I’ve lived through hurricanes and flooding, and it’s not trivial. Even if it’s only 500k GW2 players, it’s still a decent consideration for them to give them a short amount of time to get back online when they have a natural disaster coming down around them. Wouldn’t you want the same consideration if there was an earthquake or typhoon or other disaster elsewhere in the world?

Who cares what country it’s in, or whether people should be preparing for the storm instead of worrying about a game? If 11 feet of water was going to plow over your home, you might have done all you can and be worrying more about a game, because worrying about anything “real” would be too stressful at that point.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Fayte.1803

Fayte.1803

Hrm, WvW will be veeeery interesting in the next few weeks, since half my ….actually maybe more of my guild live in Canada….like me, CANADA RULES!

in Halloween Event

Posted by: LanceLet.6428

LanceLet.6428

I was out of power for the 3 inital days of the GW2 release due to a hurricane, I feel your pain. Also with the comments about “stop worrying about the game and worry about your house”.. Worrying on your house makes it much more stressful from my personal experience.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

thereturnedhero.3284

Well If any of you read the news….Hurricane Sandy is heading to the East Coast of the US. I happen to live there….the storm is supposed to rain a lot, snow a lot, possibly kill some people, and cut power. Supposed to hit me around Monday night. Will I be missing any Halloween events or not?

If you’re dead, most definitely.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

I love how you’re more worried about missing the halloween event than the hurricane itself xD

It’s a Category 1. It’s a BIG Category 1, so there’s going to be some intense flooding and a lot of mess, but speaking as a former resident of Florida, I can see how someone would get a little jaded about anything less than a mid-to-strong 3. Still, this storm’s just plain big enough that I’d be wary of predicting damages based on other Category 1s and 2s I’ve lived through.

Anyway, best luck to everyone getting hit by it. Be cautious, and when it blows over, try to be cool to other people who didn’t prepare as well. I don’t regret moving… and probably won’t, until the Yellowstone Caldera blows up underneath me and takes out Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho and Utah…

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.