Hurricane Sandy Interrupts our Halloween Event [Merged]

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Raehvyn.4530

Raehvyn.4530

In some areas the weather has turned into a blizzard. The heavy wet snow is a threat for roof collapse.

“Coupled with the high winds we mentioned earlier, the threat of downed trees, power outages, and, due to the weight of the heavy, wet snow, roof collapses exists with this storm. Whiteout conditions are possible, at times. Travel will be difficult, if not impossible. " -http://www.weather.com

While people -shouldn’t- be outside, as with any note worthy storm, there are usually casualties. Whether or not someone deserved it or not is an issue I refuse to touch. With nearly 9 million people out of power and in some areas the tempature dropping below freezing I imagine there is a risk for the elderly, young, and sick.

As for the destruction of houses and what not, there will be more than just mere water damage as Tuesday’s morning high tide rolls in coupled with already flooding areas. The estimated damage as I last said was 100 billion, the news source didn’t say who said it, and I don’t remember the station. Just walked into the room to see what my wife was doing.

I’m not saying anyone deserves any special treatment one way or another, but the truth is that the east coast does not get storms like this. Maine gets “north easterns” which are brutal snowstorms, but tropical storms like Sandy off the whole east coast is just rare.

You’re calling me racist? For what? I never said North America should get special treatments. I never posted saying anyone should be left out because they’re non-US. You’re blanketing me and thousands of other players because of what a few people on the forums said?

You’re just going to get the thread locked and I don’t feel like having a Mod breathing down my neck so I’m not going to validate anymore posts with a response. Lets stay on topic and leave nationalist sentiments at the door.

[NoPe] Jello Gangsta Cosby.Cute Lil Pookiebear
“Check your inbox. Infractions for everyone!” – Oprah

in Halloween Event

Posted by: nysta.6713

nysta.6713

raehvyn:
Non-US players were missing out on a cutscene.

US players are going to be losing houses, having people in their family die, and their cities wrecked. Estimated 100 billion in damage from some people they were speculating on the news tonight.

There is a difference between a hurricane destroying your homeland versus having an off-houred event that could be watched on youtube. Seriously.

there is. and i don’t think the poster was saying loss of property etc wasn’t a bad thing. but i fail to see what this had to do to address what was being mocked – that when time limits are imposed on everyone else, it’s funny. but when they’re imposed on you, it’s not.

those affected by the hurricane are obviously not having a great time. and it’s quite sad they’ll miss out on gw2. because that would no doubt be high on their priorities…

but no one was saying it was sad we were being told to go to youtube.

maybe you could go to youtube, too?

in Halloween Event

Raehvyn.4530

It was a cutscene. I was not there for it. I was pointing out the difference. If you can’t see that then I don’t know what to say to you. I don’t see how that is mocking anyone. What people affected by the hurricane would miss is actual content. More than a cutscene, I mean. If you missed the cutscene you could see it via Youtube, but it is like a deleted scene your DVD didn’t come with. You got to see the movie but missed that one scene.

I did not post about people missing out on it because I don’t come to the forums often, I just came to see what was up with the bugged events. So you’re just doing as I said and sticking a bunch of American players in a blanket statement that is neither appropriate nor accurate. I would not want anyone to miss anything, personally, but I know and understand that there are 24 different time zones and no one time or date would be more acceptable than another.

So, please, quit it. I’m obviously online. I could play the content. I’m not adversely affected so stop treating me as if I was whining about missing this and advocating other people should miss out on things because I’m not.

Like I said. Lets stay on topic and put this nationalist crap aside. It is tiresome, inappropriate, and likely just get us all infractions because the mods seem heavy handed at times.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: CC Ivonne.6782

Previous

CC Ivonne.6782

Community Coordinator

Next

Hello everybody,
like some of you have already mentioned, if the thread goes off topic, it will be locked. So, please stay on topic, and be civil to other users.
Thanks.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Guattanator.1524

Guattanator.1524

Yes there are more important things than a game, but aren’t we allowed to voice out opinions and frustraition f everything more important is currently good and well accounted for? As it is the storm has passed all i love hand hold dear, still out of power and still annoyed that I, along with others, wount be able to participat in something fun that’s a one time thing , at the very least until next year maybe, and I’m annoyed by it. Don’t think it’d take much effort to do something for those affected.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Ridley.3691

Ridley.3691

I really don’t see what’s wrong with asking for this, people aren’t awful people for being concerned about getting an achievement they’ll need to wait a year to complete. Yes, there’s a hurricane and obviously it’s important to prepare as much as you can and ensure you’re loved ones are safe. Then what? Should they huddle together in the dark while the hurricane blows around them like on TV? No, more likely they’ll want to distract themselves from it. And this is coming from someone not affected by it so you know.

Also, I can’t see what would be so difficult about adding some NPC in Lion’s Arch for a few days after the end of Halloween who teleports players to the Mad King’s Party (Which seems to be Act 4). I mean it can’t be that hard to code surely.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Tyrick.9867

Tyrick.9867

Look folks, it would be great if they could extend the event. My power is flickering as I type this. But they are running a business that caters to millions of players worldwide. They aren’t going to spend the money or the manpower to push back the event because a few hundred thousand subscribers MIGHT or MIGHT NOT have power. They have deadlines to meet. The NFL didn’t cancel last nights football game because people in NYC wouldn’t be able to see how their fantasy team was doing…

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Sahriah.3792

Sahriah.3792

US players are going to be losing houses, having people in their family die, and their cities wrecked. Estimated 100 billion in damage from some people they were speculating on the news tonight.

There is a difference between a hurricane destroying your homeland versus having an off-houred event that could be watched on youtube. Seriously.

I think you completed missed my entire point. I was comparing the reaction of Americans to other people missing out on an event, to the reaction of themselves when they are the ones missing out on an event.

I in no way said anything about the hurricane or loss of property/life. I was simply saying it was amusing that when the americans are the ones missing out they want Anet to extend the event, but when other nations are missing out, its ‘oh well to bad’

in Halloween Event

Raehvyn.4530

I think you completed missed my entire point. I was comparing the reaction of Americans to other people missing out on an event, to the reaction of themselves when they are the ones missing out on an event.

I in no way said anything about the hurricane or loss of property/life. I was simply saying it was amusing that when the americans are the ones missing out they want Anet to extend the event, but when other nations are missing out, its ‘oh well to bad’

I understood what you’re saying but what is being reacted to is different and so is what is being missed but that has already been hashed over. I worked a lot of jobs where I worked nights and slept during the day so even as an American I’d end up missing events but I understood that it’d just be how it is. I would think that the time of events would be decided where the majority of people would have access. Unfortunate for people in Asia or whatever time zone that is least catered to. Anyone saying that it is “too bad” for you is a jerk and being a jerk is one sure thing that every country on the planet has in common. Theres jerks everywhere.

What others missed was a cutscene and I do feel bad that anyone missed anything because of where they lived. What people are missing out on are days of a limited time event. I do think that carries a little more weight, a little more loss. In the end though, this game touches so many communities all around the world. Earthquakes and other terrible natural disasters are bound to occur. I’m not sure Arena Net should extend events.

Not to sound heartless though, I do feel for people left out. I think that the best thing for Arena Net is to be neutral as a company lest they succumb to accusations of bias.

Again, I never intended hostile or mockery tones, I was just a little surprised at the comparison.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: dyna.5761

dyna.5761

This might be true, but everyone does it, no matter what side. After stumbling on this thread, what I find interesting is that people are concerned about getting an in-game achievement (that they can probably get next year anyway) rather than be concerned about how they’re going to cook their food or take a shower without electricity.

Personally, if I was in this situation, if a long term power outage was a concern, I’d be making preparations to keep myself safe, clean and fed, rather than worry about Guild Wars 2 Halloween events.

in Halloween Event

Raehvyn.4530

Other people better explained it, but what else can you do? You make these preperations, you could only do so much. Like here in Maine some places have trees falling on powerlines but we’re mostly OK. So not really much to prepare for. Other areas people probably got preparations done early, so not really anything else ya can do. Why not try to distract yourself and try to see if Arena Net is willing to give it an extension a whirl?

I mean, I don’t know if it really is on most people’s top 10 things to do during a hurricane or tropical storm, heh. Well probably “that guy”, but no one cares about him. :P

in Halloween Event

Raehvyn.4530

On another note, having the meta events on every server bugged out is causing us all to miss out. I’ve been trying to get back into the labryinth for hours now. :P

in Halloween Event

Guattanator.1524

Honestly, I think any situation where a natural disaster screws people over in terms of an event it should have some way for those people to participate. Regardless of where they are from. People who didn’t see the mad king cutscene in LA could watch it on YouTube and still participate in the dungeon event. People missing out on this part of the event just get screwed out of it, yes they can go watch someone else do it on YouTube but that’s not the same as DOING the event. My point is if it’s an instanced area , like the mad king’s realm why not leave an NPC somewhere to teleport players to the Act 4 party event. If it’s not instanced and the mad king just dances around LA belting crappy jokes at people then give everyone that achievement so the people who give a kitten stop kittening

in Halloween Event

Posted by: asperbianca.3196

asperbianca.3196

I live in Ohio, right off of Lake Eerie, and we’re feeling the effects of Sandy; not as bad as the East Coast, but they’re still a little nasty. But I just wanted to point out that people tend to handle stressful situations differently than others; it’s also easier to point out your own flaws when looking at other people. Yes, there may be some people requesting that the events be extended, but I highly doubt it’s because they care more about what happens in the game than they do their own well-being; I’m sure that they’re scared to death about what may happen and their way of handling that level of stress is to focus on something else. Some people tend to break under a lot of stress, others will handle it in stride, and then there are those who handle it well, as long as they have something available to distract them if the start becoming overwhelmed.

So stop giving people grief because it appears that they may care more about the game when, in fact, they’re just scared to death of what’s happening around them and they’re only looking for a distraction to make it more bearable. I’ve seen animals show more compas.sion towards one another than I have in this thread.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Shamus McNasty.2809

Shamus McNasty.2809

This is kind of a stupid thing to worry about, honestly. There’s a storm and you’ve got things to do. If the worst thing that happens is I miss out on a virtual party and a few achievement points, I’ll count myself lucky.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Mimir.4690

Mimir.4690

@dyna:

This might be true, but everyone does it, no matter what side. After stumbling on this thread, what I find interesting is that people are concerned about getting an in-game achievement (that they can probably get next year anyway) rather than be concerned about how they’re going to cook their food or take a shower without electricity.
Personally, if I was in this situation, if a long term power outage was a concern, I’d be making preparations to keep myself safe, clean and fed, rather than worry about Guild Wars 2 Halloween events.

You don’t need electricity to take a shower. And there are some houses that have gas stoves, not electric. Regardless, at this point, every family has done what they can to prepare. There’s really only so much preparing you can do. I’m not being affected, but my family back home is.

I am also getting irritated at all of these comments of “worry about your safety, not your game!” Almost everyone I know back home is only expecting a power outage (plus some heavy wind, rain, but no flooding or anything dangerous like that), and safety really isn’t of much concern. Sure, they could worry about trees falling on their houses or cars, but we’ve had some really heavy winds before… and pretty much every tree in my area is big enough to hold against it. In other words, when all they are expecting is their power to go out, of course they are going to worry about the game.

And this is gaming forum. If someone is taking the time to visit and post here, don’t you think the game means a lot to them? What else do you expect?

I hope that the east coasters have some way to make up for this event. Maybe 4 instead of 5 achievements for the title would be a way to go.

And on a lighter note, I’m excited for the November 15th update!

in Halloween Event

Posted by: BeardRex.6739

BeardRex.6739

Why is it so hard to believe that most people have their kitten together and that is why we are here posting on the forums via our phones or tablets. There is nothing we can do to make the storm go away. Our families are safe. We have food and water. We are fine. We just don’t have power because all the transformers blew up. People need to stop being so ignorant.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: jimthev.5243

jimthev.5243

“Until such time as the world ends, we will act as though it intends to spin on. "

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Fayte.1803

Fayte.1803

Martin Kerstein.3071:

We heard your questions about extending the Halloween event for those of you effected by Sandy. Unfortunately we cannot do that, but the reason why we can’t is exciting: We are preparing for our big November update, which will start on November 15, and there will be content that will be in the game prior to that, leading up to the event. But we also want to use this moment to remind you all that your personal safety is much more important than any computer game. If you could be affected by the storm, please listen to the authorities and take every precaution to ensure you and your loved ones are safe. Tyria will still be there once the storm is over.

“See I mentioned this before, I knew anet had a schedule and when one thing gets extended everything gets pushed back, and the other special theme events as well, though I will admit a huge content update was surprising, but in a good way.

in Halloween Event

Guattanator.1524

A lot of people are still acting like the only way to solve the problem is to push back the event or “just stop crying about a virtual event when your family is in danger” honestly all it seems like it’d take is an event npc that lets you partake in a party after the fact for a week or so, it doesn’t seem like it’d be hard to set up or all that time consuming…

in Halloween Event

Fayte.1803

It could be the code in the game, they might have a preinstalled method of just introducing events by pulling from a pool of pre determined NPC’s and locations, introducing a foreign element to the code could cause issues and only push back any events to come…though this is entirely only speculation.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Reihert.1509

Reihert.1509

A hurricane isnt just a power outage.

it is a national disater even if it hits only the northeast of USA.
Also, extending the event for 2 days wont harm anyone and will even give more time for more people to complete it.

I dont see ANY harm at all in such extension and even though I wont be hit by anything (live in Brazil, our problems is due to dumb people electing kittens ) I support this idea and my prayers goes for all people that will be hit by it.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: aliquis.9180

aliquis.9180

The official statement has been made and a reasonable explanation provided. There is no point is speculating why Anet isn’t doing this, that, or the other instead of what they are doing.

Personally, I am glad that Anet is not getting into the business of deciding which disasters are worthy of accomodating and which aren’t. That would have been a potential mine field.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien, President of Arenanet

in Halloween Event

Fayte.1803

I actually never thought about it that way, cause if something similar occurs down the road then people will quote back to what Anet did here if they did make some special exception due to the circumstances. Still hope you guys stay safe and take care of your families!

in Halloween Event

Posted by: DinoDoll.3682

DinoDoll.3682

But there are “disasters” everywhere in the world.. every day…
every event would have to be delayed… extended.. all the time to be fair to every disaster in every country that has internet.. and players that might potentially not get to experience some part of an event.

During Christmas time, if an event happens, there will be places that get snowed in, downed powered lines.. blizzards… during other times of the year various parts of the world are going to have weather issues that would mean the people living there will end up missing out on things…

i /am/ someone who is being effected by the storm, but /not/ as much as some people. i was worried i’d be fully offline and miss the end of the Halloween event as well… but even when i worried i might miss it i didn’t have the “world centers around me” attitude that the event should be extended for /my/ convenience.

Stuff happens in life. Whether i’m here or not for it, hope the Halloween final event goes off without a hitch and is fun for those who make it.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: HiSaZuL.2843

HiSaZuL.2843

I’m from Staten Island… so this nonsense went right over my head. As far as damage goes…. Sandy ended up already a lot worse then Irene by a land slide. Roads are covered in toppled trees ripped off power lines. There are houses that got shredded and now missing walls/roofs. Southern part is a pool to put it nice way. Most of SI has no power. As far as I’m concerned the fact that I lost power at about 10pm during the peak of storm speaks volumes about ConEd… and at 6am I got it back. How in the world I even have power right now is beyond me. I had to drive at 7am and roads are a mess… trees block most roads even major ones. Cars that got blown away… No power on southern side means chunks of roads don’t even have working traffic lights. And with all that said…
I still saw a few “people” that implied that their laziness in getting up early on WEEKENDS to see a cutscene… is in some way equavalent to what americans that live on east coast deal with right now. Are you out of your god kitten mind? We payed for a game… we aren’t kittening about staying late or getting up early on weekends to play what we payed for. We are asked for extension on event due to the fact we face a natural disaster with billions in damage and lives lost on top of that. People like you… well… I’m tired of getting suspended on forums because Anet can’t take criticism so I leave that part to your imagination.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Slithid.8632

Slithid.8632

I was lucky enough to make it through the worst of the storm around my area with power. I still think that something should allow my fellow unfortunate east coasters to enjoy something, since they won’t have much to enjoy for the weeks after the storm, depending on where they live.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Michael.4791

Michael.4791

Good luck to all of you close to the storm. I wish to see you back in Tyria happily ever after.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: HiSaZuL.2843

HiSaZuL.2843

Good luck to all of you close to the storm. I wish to see you back in Tyria happily ever after.

<3
My wishes go to people that have to deal with Sandy left overs… that nonsense is till going last I heard… and just because its loosing classifications doesn’t mean much.
It was classified as category 1 when it hit East Cost… current damage says otherwise.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Kaz.5430

Kaz.5430

First off, to those of you who are facing flooding and power outages, I hope you remain safe and come through this ok.

I can appreciate where you are coming from, after all, with the current state of ‘hind-sight’ we all have, missing out on act 4 ‘is’ likely to be different than missing out on the cut-scene from act 3.

But prior to act 3, when players were voiceing concerns that they’d miss out, nobody knew that all they were actually missing out on was a cut-scene they be able to see later on youtube. In fact, the general theory at the time, was that the party achievement that many of you are now worried about missing out on, was related to that one-off event.

That said, ArenaNet have already posted that the event wont be extended, so suggestions of ‘how’ to extend it seem a little pointless. The unfortuanate fact is that they don’t have the time to add special ways of accessing Halloween content and test it out. Programming, debugging and testing takes time, and Act 4 is tomorrow. By the time they’ve rolled something out, Halloween will be over and it’ll be two weeks time, and you’ll be wanting to play whatever this November content is.

It’s a shame a small percentage of the worlds population will miss out on part 4, but I am 100% certain that there will be instances in the future where different percentages of the worlds population miss out on something else, and the players who missed part 4 will be playing.

Why not spend these days ensuring that you are safe, and look forwards to whatever they plan on adding in November? It’s only a couple of weeks away.

Monarchy - 15 year old browser-based game and roleplay community
Table Warfare Miniatures - Armatures, Custom Miniatures, Moulds etc.

in Halloween Event

Guattanator.1524

I think the best solution to problems like this in the future is to NOT have events in acts/stages and just have it fully open all event with special non-achievement mini events throughout the main event that don’t give a special reward other than being able to say “I was there” now this isn’t a perfect solution but it seems to cover what many are concerned with, the achievement. As for this event? Anet has officially stated that they do not plan anything for the inconvenience of their east coast players and as such have failed those players. Lets hope they handle this stuff better in the future. Probably wont though given their less than stellar customer support for GW2 so far.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: DinoDoll.3682

DinoDoll.3682

even releasing all aspects of an event at once doesn’t solve it.

Last year after hurricane irene i was without electricity for /2 weeks/, my whole town was. 2 weeks is longer than the whole Halloween event even was.

Even if they had released all the stages of a 10-day event at once.. i still would have missed it.. if they’d happened to release it during the 14 days i was without electricity.

What about when that tsunami hit Thailand? had gw2 been out then, and there been people living there who were playing the game, do you think they should have extended any events going on then… for months? Since some people were displaced a very long time during that?

Games really can’t start picking and choosing which “disasters” they are going to bend over backwards to accommodate.

i know its very hard not to think the whole world circles around you and your life… but there are disasters of various sorts during any month-long period of time, all over the world. Ones that keep people from having electricity or internet access. It would be kind of odd to cater to every single countries natural-disaster of the moment and try to work events in a game around them…

ya know?

in Halloween Event

Fayte.1803

Ya, it wouldn’t be odd to cater to every single countries natural disaster, it would be impossible, cause doing so might annoy the players that are able to continue playing. As selfish as that may sound its the way the world works, people can express concern over others as much as they like but when it comes down to Anet has the final say and it was already stated that the events are not going to be pushed back, but I remind everyone that we get a big update on Nov 15th! Hopefully the damage from Sandy will be recovered enough to at least give you guys power and access to your homes.

in Halloween Event

BeardRex.6739

Really all they have to do is make emissary of the mad king count ANY 5 of the Halloween achievements.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: caveslug.5934

caveslug.5934

So say you lose power for 2-3 days, which I might add is very short time to be without. Does the rest of the world stop and wait for a couple of people (talking in the grand picture). What if you lose power for 7 days, should we stop the world from rotating until you get the lights back on.

I was in the middle of the Tornado’s that hit the south back in Feb-March, the whole city of 200K lost power for 7 days. Some people were still without power for a month. A nuclear power plant was damaged, 49 people died. Countless homes lost, and the are still cleaning up from this. Yet when the precise east or west coast is going to get a little high wind and rain, or an earthquake hits the world better stop for them.

When I finally got back power and logged into WoW, no one even had a clue anything happened. One guy mentioned how he had heard something about bad weather. Yet when I turn on the TV all I see is the poor people on the east coast.

Beyond all this why are you even worried about the game!!!!!!! you could lose your life or home. And you are worried about missing an event in a freaking game!!! What is wrong with people now days.

in Halloween Event

BeardRex.6739

I don’t get why so many people are all up in arms about this even when it doesn’t effect them in any way. People need to stop hating.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Kaliron.4098

Kaliron.4098

Raehvyn.4530:

^This.. And some peoples biggest worry is about getting back online to play a game and get an achievement.

I’ve been through a few cyclones/floods here in Australia and for the weeks after i was volunteering my spare time helping my neighbours and community to get back on its feet, some people really need a reality check. Get off your computer chair and go around knocking on your neighbours doors and see if everyones ok.

Also people who are saying they have generators please make sure you dont run them inside, the only death from Cyclone Yasi that hit australia came from a guy who ran his generator inside his basement during the cyclone and died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

But to stay on topic, and i realise Anet as already stated it wouldn’t be extending it, However where would you guys suggest they draw the line? A week extra? What about the people who dont have power for 2weeks? A Month extra? Perhaps we could extend it for the rest of the year and put a santa hat on the mad king?

Stay safe people!

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Big update November 15th? :O Is Anet preparing for my bday?

Crappy weather still goin on where I live, Hope power doesn’t go out again.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Akasuki Murakami.1634

Akasuki Murakami.1634

Seriously guys? With all the devastation this storm has bring, all you guys can think about is if your going to miss an event. I mean come on really it’s just a video game. People are without power and supplies why many more are displaced. I don’t live in the area but if I did I would not be concerned about a video game, I would be out there seeing what I could do to help. Now put down your keyboards and get out there! My heart truly goes out to these people.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: atarigenocide.4987

atarigenocide.4987

Just because something bad is happening somewhere doesn’t mean a person’s life has to completely stop and focus 100% on it. Have you ever considered that, if a person has power, a video game might be a good distraction?

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Tyrick.9867

Tyrick.9867

If they have power, they won’t miss the event anyway…

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Coldin.2840

Coldin.2840

Arena Net really should reconsider. I’m sure that the November update will be super exciting, but can’t you put that timetable back for Part 4 to end on Monday? Lots of people are being affected by the storm, either directly or indirectly. Even just a few days would give players the opportunity to partake in the “party” who might still be recovering from the storm.

Coldin – Thief – Sanctum of Rall

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Ihysoal.7153

Ihysoal.7153

My condolences to anyone who’s severely affected by the storm.

But ironically, all those posts across all those websites about “revenge for pearl harbor” when something hit Asia.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: cainejw.7142

cainejw.7142

1) Humans are amazingly complex cognitively speaking. We can, by virtue of the incredibly convoluted nature of the human brain, hold more than one task in our mind at the same time. Accordingly, those who are experiencing the effects of Sandy can, in fact, both worry about the storm AND think about Guild Wars 2 if they see fit. They do not have to choose if they are concerned about one or the other.

2) The slippery slope argument is a logical fallacy for a reason. Stating that extending this event for this particular disaster MUST beget a fair standard across any and all events is a slippery slope. It assumes that future action inevitably results. However, the slope is slippery on all sides. If you never consider the events that happen in the world, what other events will you ignore during in-game events? What else must we ignore that is outside of control? Arguing from the slippery slope pretty much sets your argument to fail at the start.

3) Nobody knows the motivations of someone else. Being pedantic to a user because you do not share their concern is not helpful. “I don’t know WHY you’re concerned about the event. There are people suffering and you don’t see them,” is not the way to go. There’s no need for anyone to lecture someone based on your opinion. The instruments of coping with the storm are wide and many. GW2 may, in fact, be how some of those hardest hit reach a sense of catharsis or escape. It may be their only outlet of stress management at a trying time. We really do not need armchair psychologists and social workers telling players what they should and should not do based on minimal information.

So, with that said, I’m disappointed to hear that the developers will not accommodate the event somehow. Disappointed, but I am not surprised. I hope some sort of accommodation is made in time. Until then, I hope that some of those hardest hit return to the game safe and sound.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Grendel.7918

Grendel.7918

I can’t help but think that if this hurricane followed the usual path and hit the gulf coast nobody would expect Anet to delay the game in any fashion. the usual comments in that regard are “well then why don’t you move somewhere that doesn’t regularly get hit by hurricanes?” I’m not trying to be insulting, but life isn’t always fair and sometimes you get thrown an unexpected twist. If you live in the north east and have in the past petitioned for something like this on someone else’s behalf then go ahead and keep trying. otherwise…

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Trock Bronze.9625

Trock Bronze.9625

No one would be saying “move somewhere else” but the you-know-what insensitive people in the thread already.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

Gendel: I think you’re sadly right that some people would say that.

@everyone else – I and most of my coworkers got hit by Sandy. Some didn’t even lose power, all the ones but 2 who did lose it got power back before 5 PM EST. I think Sandy’s a huge problem for property, but the casualty list is still pretty low as far as I know. I think people blew this out of proportion a bit and I completely agree with ANet not postponing the event.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: gadenp.7586

gadenp.7586

Anet should create another title maybe called “Sandy comes to Halloween” which is granted to all players. Allowing players that are affected by Sandy to get the overall main 5/5 halloween title(s) achievement.

If there are any special in-game items, mail it to all (soul bound or account bound). Those that got it ingame will most likely trash it, because frankly having 2 of the same item takes up space, but for others, it will give them the item without to much fuss.

As for the event, there is always youtube. In fact, Anet can youtube it themselves, as a “hang in there” for Sandy affected people.

I do not think the above is hard to do and will not affect the game as much as extending the game.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: aliquis.9180

aliquis.9180

The expectation of fair and equal treatment is not a slippery slope argument and it is kind of offensive to even suggest that it is.

An example of a slippery slope argument would be that accomodating those affected by the hurricane would set into motion a chain of events that would result in the closure of the game.

No one is arguing anything of the sort.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien, President of Arenanet

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Sindar.8204

Sindar.8204

Don’t prolong the event… Good that Anet was so firm on the topic! BLTC is already flooded with Halloween items… and prices are dropping on those constantly…
Yesterday Arachnophobia was like 50g, now I can’t even sell it for 40g… ppl go setting prices like 30g or so… That’s way too low for one time exclusive items!
And btw, America’s windy troubles are NOTHING compared to things that happen otherwise in the world – ppl are dyeing all across the world in thousands, but everyone is so worried about some 50ppl that died in New York… Children in Africa are dyeing but noone gives a kitten br /> So yes, ‘Murica, you’re overreacting…