Level 80s, Haunted Door Campings, Lower-level farming, and problems with level scaling

Level 80s, Haunted Door Campings, Lower-level farming, and problems with level scaling

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Isende.2607

Isende.2607

so. i’m attempting to level up an alt, and right now, it appears, is not a good time to do that. why? because, if you ask the gung-ho crowd, “lower lvl zones have more raw candy corn nodes.”

additionally, they’re ALL farming the haunted doors; this means, since their level scaling has them at the TOP end of damage, etc, they pretty much one-hit anything that walks out the door, and that’s that.

why is this a problem? “go play your own lvl 80,” i can hear you saying. or, better yet, “deal with it, this is the way it is by design.”

i’d rather believe that this event has brought to light something many of us have known for a long time, but that hasn’t been a problem previously. see, the karma rewards for karma events in the lower zones do not match the karma rewards in the higher zones. for people farming karma, being in the lower zones made no sense, unless they were exploring or playing with friends. this event, however, has made it ridiculously easy for them to come to a lower zone and one-hit anything that pops up. yep, i can to play my 80s — but what about the new folk, who don’t have 80s? this is their first event, also, and i guarantee you, they will not have the same ability to farm and gather items, simply because level scaling is so ridiculous (i.e., doesn’t really work). they can not compete with a well-geared level 80. period. so for the duration of this event, the halloween events AND the random dynamic events in the areas around the doors may as well not happen, as far as any lower-level character is concerned.

thinks?

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Keltin.7945

Keltin.7945

I agree, it’s a one shot tag fest at best, and they do not have the slightest chance of tagging anything when it’s like this.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Moonstruck.3612

Moonstruck.3612

It’s certainly diminished my desire to be playing in those areas. First of all, I have thought for some time that the level scaling needs to be adjusted a bit. Higher level characters in lower zones are still too OP for those zones. They need to be scaled a little lower.

TBH, I would prefer to see either lower scaling or diminished returns for event items for characters that are more than a set number of levels above the zone in which they’re farming/camping the doors etc.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: AnthonyOrdon

AnthonyOrdon

Game Designer

Indeed. I agree that the creatures may be a bit on the weak side when faced up with higher level players. But I’m not sure if putting the doors in higher-leveled zones would have helped out the low-levels much either.

One thing that may help is that in the coming days, there will be even more content available. Hopefully this should help spread attention around.

in Halloween Event

Isende.2607

well, the point isn’t “putting the doors in higher-leveled zones” — it’s giving the lower-level players the same ability to hit something as the higher-levels. if a higher-level is consistently one-shotting things, laying out aoe as things walk through the door, what option is there for the lower-level?

in Halloween Event

Isende.2607

having said that — THANK you for your kind attention to this! this is an issue, it’s just become more of an issue, or a more glaring one, due to the event. thankies!

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Hologramx.6402

Hologramx.6402

It’s not the scaling problem, it’s probably because most level 80s are wearing full exotic gears which make the differences.

Personally I think they should make killing those mobs possible only with a specific seasonal weapon that does not scale with anything. These weapons would do fix damage (with some AoEs) and need to be acquired through some quests.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Snoflake.9087

Snoflake.9087

I honestly tried to do doors/corn nodes in the higher level zones for this exact reason, but they are very few and far between. Seriously. I did my sweep of Frostgorge to get some Oric nodes and aside from a short handful of corn nodes, there were zero doors. Maybe because of the high density and large agro range of ordinary mobs and/or events but I just don’t know.

But you are right. There is by far and large a much higher ratio of doors and corn nodes in the lower/starter areas. It is unfortunate that most people will find it easier to go back to these areas to farm.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: kiba.2768

kiba.2768

if you guys can, wvw is relatively peaceful(did i just say that??) for farming corn nodes. i was able to gather near 400 last night without being attacked by zergs or rando stragglers.

in one case, i saw someone from an opposing server and we just let each other have a turn at a few nodes without any aggression. a happy, shiny moment in gw2

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Vegas.5790

Vegas.5790

Yeah, don’t understand why the lower level areas have more doors. Except for Orr that is. Kinda asking for a problem where none should exist. But I guess that it is a learning experience for Anet as well.

in Halloween Event

Isende.2607

hologramx, i get your point — the exotic gear, etc. however, i’ve tested this. if i come back to an area to help a friend, and i’m more than about five levels above that area, i am automagically scaled to two levels above whatever i’m assisting my friend in doing. further, without fail, there is at least one ability i will have on whatever character i do that one-hits anything. scaling, by nature, i believe, should scale someone within x% of damage, regardless of their level or gear. give them a benefit for being higher? sure, it’s a decent bit of work to get the higher levels, better gear, etc etc etc. i’m not sure how scaling is managed now, but it seems that there should easily be a formula that brings one’s damage within x% of the area.

also, i think that making them killable only with seasonal items may be problematic, especially for new folk. are we just given these items? do we have to relearn rotations, when we may be just learning how to play with weapons, and weapon swapping, etc? i’m not sure that’d be the best solution, but i see it could potentially be a solution.
just my thinks!

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Mada.5319

Mada.5319

I doubt putting more doors in higher level zones would help unless there were bigger/better rewards. Majority of people will always take the easiest route.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

Do doors even spawn in higher level maps? I have looked pretty hard in the Orr maps and Frostgorge and I haven’t even seen the hint of one. I usually see them pretty far away even if they despawn by the time I get there. Maybe they just stand out more in the lower level zones.

In low level zones I at least can find them. I stopped doing them on high level character though because I know it sucks for them to be obliterated quickly. I just hope that in the further acts there are other ways of getting the achievement progress for killing the monsters (in mad realm maybe?).

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

Think of this as an end-game mesmer simulator.

Now you too can enjoy the experience of having everything 1-shotted before you can even set up a spell, or hit a target hard enough to tag it. Never again worry about having to pick up loot (There is none)

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Alur.7510

Alur.7510

Put more doors in high-end with the same level of mobs or similar everywhere around, Everyone will split up and breath out the low level zones and find gates with no so many people, I don’t think is that hard to do, and it’s a really good solution, we were talking about this in guild.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Cactus Brawler.7415

Cactus Brawler.7415

“Indeed. I agree that the creatures may be a bit on the weak side when faced up with higher level players. But I’m not sure if putting the doors in higher-leveled zones would have helped out the low-levels much either.

One thing that may help is that in the coming days, there will be even more content available. Hopefully this should help spread attention around." AnthonyOrdon

I’m not sure i agree, given that one of the first things I heard today was “Are there those doors in Orr?”, high level people do sort of want their chances of dropping Ecto rares, end game nodes and the like, as well as the doors.

Wouldn’t it be ideal if they could do their normal level 80 stuff in addition to the Halloween events?

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Amelli.9217

Amelli.9217

I doubt that will stop the higher levels camping low level areas, after all, if they can one shot the enemies as you say, then it just makes their life easier for grabbing candy loot at the doors. Why go to their own level zone where it will take slightly longer to down foes? Just a thought. Needs to be incentive to keep them in their own level areas.

I actually found that, in a way, big groups around the doors are better for bigger candy bag turn outs, so I’m not complaining. I had fun with a huge group randomly hitting mobs and picking up as much candy as I could with everyone else.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: soulwblood.1529

soulwblood.1529

I thought about this today too as I was doing the huntin’ chiev on my lvl 80. Sometimes we have to go around hitting every mob spawn asap or we don’t get the loot or kill. Some more scaling according to level would be great. A shame the mobs die so fast for both low and high level characters :\

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Ailsan.6327

Ailsan.6327

I have not come across a haunted door yet. Other than going to the scavenger hunt locations, I spent most of my time last night in Sparkfly Fen. Are the doors ONLY found in low level zones?

in Halloween Event

Isende.2607

again, as i said. the issue isn’t about putting doors, or anything else, in the higher-level areas. people will, most of the time, choose the “quickesteasiest” method to achieve their goals — i.e., if there are doors in lvl 80 areas, and doors in lvl 10 areas where they can zerg everything, guess where they’ll go? i strongly suggest the answer is to refine the tuning.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Perhaps scaling the doors to map level. If you are too high you get the message: These are not the doors you are looking for. waves hand

Might be more something for the future. It’s tops another week if the coming acts don’t drive the masses somewhere else.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Pochibella.8394

Pochibella.8394

Some of the mobs die in one hit. However, there are some where a whole bunch of mobs come through the doors, sometimes veterans, and sometimes it spawns events. Level 80’s cannot one shot those. (At least I can’t.)

Also, sometimes it only spits a ToT bag out on the ground. And guess what? Everyone can pick it up. We had a small group running around because it increased the amount of times we could open the door with each person taking a turn. A little guy asked to join us and he had a blast running around with us in areas he would not have been safe in alone.

I have used it as a way to not only get my ToT bags and candy and mats, but to make friends in those maps and help people out.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: spacemayu.4817

spacemayu.4817

Perhaps scaling the doors to map level. If you are too high you get the message: These are not the doors you are looking for. waves hand

Might be more something for the future. It’s tops another week if the coming acts don’t drive the masses somewhere else.

Except the doors are only in three zones.

I think it’s pretty clear that the OP wants to farm the doors too… or why else would he hang around the farming locations?

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

I think it’s pretty clear that the OP wants to farm the doors too… or why else would he hang around the farming locations?

Yes, I wasn’t clear enough. I meant that in addition to having doors in higher level zones as well.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Kirrund.2654

Kirrund.2654

Ryuujin.8236

Think of this as an end-game mesmer simulator.

Now you too can enjoy the experience of having everything 1-shotted before you can even set up a spell, or hit a target hard enough to tag it. Never again worry about having to pick up loot (There is none)

This, oh my god this. Rofling

Kaseira The False [NEWL]
www.teamnewl.com
“NEWL guys are cool guys.” -styx.7294 approved.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

Ironically this event IS doing something good, which is taking level 80s out of the pigeonhole that is Orr. Anet created this big beautiful world but at the end of it all you’re stuck forever on this ugly godforsaken island killing zombies eternally. Fun.

What Anet should be doing to fix the problem is NOT to send high level players back to their cursed shore prison, but rather fix scaling so that they don’t have such a huge advantage in lower level zones. This way they can also make it so that rewards are better for level 80s (since it is no longer a steamroll better rewards are justified), further increasing incentive for endgame players to spread out from Orr.

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Shifted.6912

Shifted.6912

Just make the doors player exclusive, like gathering nodes are.

Oh, and either make them be there 24/7 or disappear instantly, I’ve ran into an opened ones seeing them from far away WAY too many times.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Grevender.9235

Grevender.9235

easy fix: whatever pops out of the door is immune to any common weapon and can be killed only with a specific tool: you swap to that tool, kill the thing and done.

Oh wait, Elementalist can’t swap…

in Halloween Event

Posted by: MrDreadful.7014

MrDreadful.7014

I think Shifted has a good solution, there. If the normal doors are like nodes, the event/champion ones could stay as is (since they’re meant for multiples anyway) and the farming issue becomes, well, less of an issue.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Einherjar.6709

Einherjar.6709

The problem the OP is experience is a temporary one. The first night with the Candycorn Golems, there was plenty of mob uptime, it took a long time to kill the elites, and the regulars were spread out enough that lowbies were getting lots of kills. I know personally as I was there on my alt (after being on my main for a while) and I got 3 levels of experience (popping KStreak boosters hehe) in the 3 or so hours it was up.

Additionally, I disagree that “creatures may be a bit on the weak side when faced up with higher level players.” Does this statement really has fresh 80’s in mind as well, or just 80’s who’ve spend 100+ hours gearing and farming? And going through all the trouble of gearing up to full exotic after leveling through most / all of the zones, it feels nice and fitting that you’re a bit more powerful now than when you first rolled through these zones. (32-35g + ~200 hours of play time should have a ‘reward’ in lower zones too shouldn’t it?)

Just my thoughts on the matter.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Debsylvania.7396

Debsylvania.7396

Some of the mobs die in one hit. However, there are some where a whole bunch of mobs come through the doors, sometimes veterans, and sometimes it spawns events. Level 80’s cannot one shot those. (At least I can’t.)

Also, sometimes it only spits a ToT bag out on the ground. And guess what? Everyone can pick it up. We had a small group running around because it increased the amount of times we could open the door with each person taking a turn. A little guy asked to join us and he had a blast running around with us in areas he would not have been safe in alone.

I have used it as a way to not only get my ToT bags and candy and mats, but to make friends in those maps and help people out.

Pochi,
This was my experience, exactly. I truly felt like I was helping, not hindering, the experience of other players when I was running around looking for doors. I’m pretty sure I’d have been told otherwise if that had been the case.

Deb ~The Chewbacca Defense [TCD];
Waiting For Death [WFD]
@ Borlis Pass Server

in Halloween Event

Isende.2607

lol, actually? the op is a “she,” and i wasn’t “hanging around” the farming locations. as i said, i was leveling an alt. this came to light because an event took off right where a door had just gone down. naturally the four 80s who’d taken the door down hopped in to the event — karma!!! and i love to farm karma, too! anyway. the poor schleps like me, who were at-level, never had a chance in the event, due to the lvl 80s one-hitting everything. THIS is what prompted the op. if you read it, i state a couple of things clearly:

1) this is about something that’s come to light, due to the halloween event
2) i’m not hating on farmers — i’d just like something that doesn’t exclude at-level players

to my mind, the easiest fix for this is correcting level scaling, so that no matter what, you’re always at x% … oh, yeah, i’ve already said this!! again. it’s not a whine-cry, it’s a “hey, this became an issue, and maybe there’s a good way to fix it.”

in Halloween Event

Isende.2607

Ironically this event IS doing something good, which is taking level 80s out of the pigeonhole that is Orr. Anet created this big beautiful world but at the end of it all you’re stuck forever on this ugly godforsaken island killing zombies eternally. Fun.

What Anet should be doing to fix the problem is NOT to send high level players back to their cursed shore prison, but rather fix scaling so that they don’t have such a huge advantage in lower level zones. This way they can also make it so that rewards are better for level 80s (since it is no longer a steamroll better rewards are justified), further increasing incentive for endgame players to spread out from Orr.

good point on the orr thing. probably why i spend so little time on my 80, and so much on my alts ;-)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Isslair.4908

Isslair.4908

Eh?
I never noticed any problems with doors. Just throw in some AOE (like flamethrower) and you’ll get your share. I find that having high-level dudes killing stuff very quickly is very convinient actually.
And events are completing smoothely also.

EU Aurora Glade

in Halloween Event

Posted by: namastex.8906

namastex.8906

I would be all for higher level doors, I noticed that fighting lower level mobs from those doors don’t give as great of loot as higher level mobs. It would be awesome to farm the haunted doors in Cursed shore, as most people are standing around waiting for plinx/tunnel to start anyways.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Phoenix the One.4071

Phoenix the One.4071

Just make em tougher. Itry to run with ppl so we can open the doors multiple times.. And even with staff (good tag, bad dmg) I can only press 1 once or else I end up killing them too fast:/