Mad King Clock Tower Needs to be tweaked!

in Halloween Event

Posted by: tasaunders.3746

tasaunders.3746

I tried a few times. I spent maybe 20 minutes on it, then moved on. Probably too difficult for me, since I dislike jumping puzzles anyway, but yeah. Leave some hard content in.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Paranormal Bear.2539

Paranormal Bear.2539

State fairs are supposed to be fun, and open to the public. I should win every game, and always get a prize.

Illogical. State fairs are opened to the public. Therefore every game should be open to every gamer, and given a fair chance at it. Someone jumping in your line of sight is not fair, nor is not being able to control mechanical issues.

The tower doesn’t need nerfing for “casuals”, a casual is someone who doesn’t play often.

We have two total views on what is casual. Casual is someone that can be PvX, or semi-hardcore. It separates players that take the game way too seriously and players that might have trouble in it. In my case, it took me a long while to finish the puzzle. However this post is less about me and more about recognizing obvious issues that need attention so that others can finish it before the event ends, and it can be more enjoyable for everyone than it is currently.

Guild Master – Engineer Bear of Teddy Bears [PAWS].
Come join us in our FA Bear Invasion!
http://toygamers.forumotion.com

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Beyreva.8769

Beyreva.8769

@TheLaughingMan:
My charr is a thief and it was actually interesting how all was better for a couple of seconds at the start, after I cloaked the whole group with shadow refuge before the start.

@Paranormal Bear:
I already to that, it’s like when I’m driving. Failure occurs due to my character getting stuck into the cogwheel’s cogs and other places, camera zooming in focusing the floor(can be avoided by going into a more isometric angle, reducing considerably the distance of vision), and(not that often) my charr’s running animation turning into a head-bashing against the floor one, due to having no weapons equipped =D; and of course my own flawed decisions/actions.
I should really go sleep now…

Sometimes it’s necessary listening to the silence, it could tell more..

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Account.9832

Account.9832

You were probably the cause of other people failing it. You are the cause of the rage.

Do it on a minimum height asura with at least 5 charr/norn on max width and height settings and I will believe you.

This.

Give me a party with no norn or charr and I can reach the clock 7 out of 10 times with my asura, 9 out of 10 with any other race (the asura camera has more tendency to go nuts).

Stick a couple of huge slabs of meat (i.e., max-size norn or charr) and my success rate drops to 1 or 2 out of 10 (in fact, it took me close to 30 attempts to do it with my asura for the first time – and this was after doing it with 2 other races).

Lots of people seem to be rolling maximum height norns just to stand out and be able to see their character better, making the game worse for everyone else.

I actually have a big male norn character, which I won’t even bring into the Clock Tower simply out of respect for other players. I did it on my (minimum-height) norn female on the first attempt (luckily there were no wardrobe males in that group) and didn’t take her back since, either.

- Al Zheimer

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Disconnected.9253

Disconnected.9253

reduce the camera ‘jitter’ and make it a SOLO INSTANCE

so tired of char everywhere, messing up my view. and i’m not even ‘racist’

thanks

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Yinn.6507

Yinn.6507

I use my Asuran elite skill to summon a golem when I’m doing re-runs and waiting for somethnig.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: CHOAM.7852

CHOAM.7852

I went back and re-read the OP to compare it with how this thread evolved. I still disagree that the green stuff is moving too fast.

The other problems are pretty much addressed with what I believe most can agree to : Bug fix + instance option.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Diviner.7405

Diviner.7405

I hear a number of complaints:
1)Small characters have trouble: I have done this puzzle twice now, and the people I see that get the farthest are asura and humans… They obviously learn how to do, yet people still complain.

2)The acid is too fast: The hardest parts of the puzzle is the first waiting part, and a part above that where you jump on a small rock. After that small rock, the puzzle become pretty easy and you can actually slow down a little bit, if you want too.

Why do people want the puzzle to be easy? Its not like its going to be over tomorrow or something. You have a week to do it. Just practice and get better. Everything else in PvE in this game is relatively easy and requires almost no skill or thought to complete. Why cant there be one thing that requires some practice? (Im not even going to use “skill” here, since you can just memorize all the jumps and do it blindfolded).

Its no fun or frustrating comments are all relative. When I first started doing it, every time I made a little progress or got a little farther, i felt really good and proud of myself. One of the greatest feelings in all of time playing Guild Wars 2 was actually completing this thing. Funny, one of the worst feelings in all of my time playing Guild Wars 2 was beating Zhaitan after seeing how lame is fight was.

So do not say there is no joy to be had in this jumping puzzle.

in Halloween Event

Paranormal Bear.2539

I went back and re-read the OP to compare it with how this thread evolved. I still disagree that the green stuff is moving too fast.

That’s just something mechanically tied to camera, race, and reaction time which differs between each gamer.

The other problems are pretty much addressed with what I believe most can agree to : Bug fix + instance option.

I would support something like that.

So do not say there is no joy to be had in this jumping puzzle.

For the record, I already covered those points. However I never said there is no joy to be had in the jumping puzzle. It frustrates a large group of a world server base, and that alone is relevant as other world servers may face the same issue. Updates of bug/mechanical tweaks are common. Why QQ about it’s awareness?

(edited by Paranormal Bear.2539)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Gryphus.6943

Gryphus.6943

I COMPLETLY agree with original poster. I have “God Walking Amongst mere mortals” of GW1, 100% of GW2, all the other jumping puzzles, and this is beyond difficult. This is plain sadistic.

Guild wars is not a platform game because it doesn’t have a precise jumping system NOR a polished camera. The other puzzles were fine because you had time to correct your camera and make them. This is way to fast for people with below average computers or with physical disabilities. I would like to play this puzzle with an analog gamepad and automated camera, not having to control at once camera with the mouse and strafe and foward with the keyboard when my standard keyboard can’t process more than 2 strokes at once.

Either the speed of the goo should be slower or the plataforming easier. I guess than a “lock camera” option would be nice too, but that’s nonexistent.

This puzzle predates the mmo-manifesto and all the spirit and hype gw2 was built. From my guild only two people were able to make it. Both guys with high-end computers. For me, after 8h continuously trying, this is exasperating.

The ACTUAL DEVELOPER of this puzzle, Josh Foreman, put a comment on youtube saying that he only expected 5% of the players to be able to make this. So this is your “friendly” approach to players without high-end computers, anet? To casual players? (and I’m not casual at all)

To be worse, there are a lot of other issues already comented by other people: The Norns and Chars blocking the view (I had to make one eventualy, because otherwise anything I did was futile), the stupid cutscene at the start and the repetitive and annoying “tic toc” npc on each round.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: AjoraOaks.3659

AjoraOaks.3659

Completed this in under 20minutes my first time without watching any video as an Asura. I DID notice that only 2 out of 11-12? people were still keeping up with me and that only one made it to the top with me on my 3rd run to the top in a row for fun. Anyways, I’ll go as far as saying some people are just too slow and if they ease up the ooze it’d be a snoozefest for people looking for a slightly challenging jump puzzle.

in Halloween Event

Paranormal Bear.2539

At this point I’m being forced to believe that you are intentionally being stupid.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/predict
1) Educate yourself about the verb and then come back.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/skill
2) Learn the definition of skill as well. It varies between each individual and the puzzle is not based on it. If it were based on skill, any race/char/age/health individual could do it after a number of tries. Since there are mechanical failures; such as but not limited to rapid green issue, impaired vision/camera issue, server lag, clock reset-glitches or common bugs, then going through a buggy puzzle = luck involved.
3) Improvement is “the state of being improved” and tweaking bugs/mechanical issues would thus balance the game more.

You repeatedly fail to justify why making the puzzle easier is an improvement (other than letting more people finish it, when the puzzle’s creator already stated that it was intended to be cleared by only a small portion of the population), yet you constantly use the word in lieu of proper argument.

The creator thought the dungeon was more difficult than expected. He did not intend his dungeon to be cleared by a “small amount” nor a “big amount”. Everyone deserves a fair chance at it. Don’t be a kitten just because you don’t like seeing others get their well deserved chance!

4) This is where you fail….

The game was intended to be bought to have fun, and be different than a P2P game. Difficulty was created by design but it was not exclusive for only a set of players to continue playing on it. There is much room for improvement, and gamers deserve to all fully enjoy their first GW2 Halloween seasonal events. You’re just butthurt because someone actually wants the other side to enjoy it as much as everyone else!

5)…. you are simply a very frustrated gamer who had far too difficult a time on a difficult piece of content, yet is not willing to come to terms with it. My heart goes out to you.

I’m done here. Enjoy the whine down there.

I am not denying that I had difficulty with the puzzle. The community’s frustration is relatively shared, more so than some troll like you. I achieved the puzzle after a long effort put into it, and I want others to have a fair shot at it as well. You are the one that is against that because your too brick headed to see it would benefit the entire game!

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Jay Sees.2148

Jay Sees.2148

I call it, the Tower of the Mad Hate!

Did it myself 2-3 times, after about 2 hours failing and failing. Was really satisfied when I finally succeeded ;>

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

It’s supposed to be hard. Don’t nerf it!

in Halloween Event

Posted by: AjoraOaks.3659

AjoraOaks.3659

It’s not even a hard puzzle, just requires some practice for the first problem area and a leap of faith for the 2nd and actually the 3rd as well. lol

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Swifter.6451

Swifter.6451

I COMPLETLY agree with original poster. I have “God Walking Amongst mere mortals” of GW1, 100% of GW2, all the other jumping puzzles, and this is beyond difficult. This is plain sadistic.

Guild wars is not a platform game because it doesn’t have a precise jumping system NOR a polished camera. The other puzzles were fine because you had time to correct your camera and make them. This is way to fast for people with below average computers or with physical disabilities. I would like to play this puzzle with an analog gamepad and automated camera, not having to control at once camera with the mouse and strafe and foward with the keyboard when my standard keyboard can’t process more than 2 strokes at once.

Either the speed of the goo should be slower or the plataforming easier. I guess than a “lock camera” option would be nice too, but that’s nonexistent.

This puzzle predates the mmo-manifesto and all the spirit and hype gw2 was built. From my guild only two people were able to make it. Both guys with high-end computers. For me, after 8h continuously trying, this is exasperating.

The ACTUAL DEVELOPER of this puzzle, Josh Foreman, put a comment on youtube saying that he only expected 5% of the players to be able to make this. So this is your “friendly” approach to players without high-end computers, anet? To casual players? (and I’m not casual at all)

To be worse, there are a lot of other issues already comented by other people: The Norns and Chars blocking the view (I had to make one eventualy, because otherwise anything I did was futile), the stupid cutscene at the start and the repetitive and annoying “tic toc” npc on each round.

My highly below average computer did just fine. I don’t see how an optional jumping puzzle in a random game should have to cater to all physical disabilities. That’s just absurd if you REALLY have a think on it.

in Halloween Event

Paranormal Bear.2539

Another pointless thread of kid who wants to get everything nice and easy. Dont take from ppl who done that feeling of achieving sth in the game. THIS IS OPTIONAL for pple who wants, who spend time , who can . If u done want to learn it, u cant or u dont want to spend some time here just dont come. Your gw2 world will still exist without it!

Another pointless comment from a troll that cannot spell or read. I conquered that tower, however I believe there are obvious tweaks that need to be worked on in order for the tower to be more enjoyable. This is not a debate on difficulty, but if you could learn to read then most of you trolling on my thread would realize that.

Everything in the game is OPTIONAL, however the success rate in everything else is set equally to every player except in this puzzle. The tower is insanely difficult ONLY because of mechanical failures surrounding it. Remove the mechanical failures, while keeping the level of difficulty, and you will find more happy players achieving it.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Gryphus.6943

Gryphus.6943

My highly below average computer did just fine.

Try it at 10-15 fps and you’ll understand what I mean (Yeah, we got potato-computers)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: drkn.3429

drkn.3429

If you can’t beat it after playing 9h straight, take a break and get some sleep.
That’s what i’ve just done and whoo – completed the puzzle on second try this morning.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: mrsrachelm.7618

mrsrachelm.7618

Here’s the logic of the complainers asking for to be easier:

“Hey, I don’t have the endurance or skill to compete in the Olympics so you should make the events easier so everyone can do them.”

No, sorry, that’s not how the world works when it comes to challenges and accomplishments, people.

Ummm, you do know what comparing real life apples to pixelated oranges does for your point, I hope?

There are several ways to keep the difficulty level for those who enjoy that type of challenge -and- making the puzzle more accessible to a wider play base as well. But you know this because I’ve seen you on at least one other thread where you said this exact same comment even though people were offering up various ideas for solutions in an effort to make as many players happy as possible. This comment of yours there, which did nothing to address any of the issues being raised, still does nothing to address those same issues here. Could you offer -any- constructive input?

(edited by mrsrachelm.7618)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Nels the Cornwhisperer.8025

Nels the Cornwhisperer.8025

I’m a big fan of telling people to get over it. But this is really, really terrible design. Some people get speed buffs, other people are screwed. Some people get huge, camera blocking skeletons, other people get screwed.

Good, elitist content, 1/8 of the population can do. Bad, elitist content, 1/16 can do. Holiday achievements being bad elitist content... That’s just terrible design.

How far that little candle throws its beams!
So shines a good deed in a naughty world.
- William Shakespear

in Halloween Event

Posted by: ToxicToothpick.4396

ToxicToothpick.4396

Predicting/Forecasting is another term for Guessing.

If by “another term for” you actually mean “the complete opposite of” then you are correct.

(edited by ToxicToothpick.4396)

in Halloween Event

Paranormal Bear.2539

If by “another term for” you actually mean “the complete opposite of” then you are correct.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/guess

guess (gs)
v. guessed, guess·ing, guess·es
v.tr.
a. To predict (a result or an event) without sufficient information.

in Halloween Event

ToxicToothpick.4396

guess (gs)
v.tr.

in Halloween Event

Paranormal Bear.2539

People won’t be happy until they’re ported into the chest room with zero effort.

I agree that there will always be ‘those’ types of people out there. However, this thread is mainly about supporting the improvement of common bugs, or mechanical errors that NEED nonetheless have attention to so that those that are doing their effort, but spending over 7 hours to achieve it, can do it equally without issues caused by their character, or others using speed boons that are unavailable to them, etc.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Hughs.6549

Hughs.6549

Paranormal Bear.2539

1.Good for you! Want a cookie?
2.Another pointless comment from a troll that cannot spell or read.

Another pointless comment from a troll that cannot spell or read. I conquered that tower, however I believe there are obvious tweaks that need to be worked on in order for the tower to be more enjoyable. This is not a debate on difficulty, but if you could learn to read then most of you trolling on my thread would realize that.

3. @ Hughs, you probably did not see them because you do not know what it is like to use a small Asuran in there. Don’t pester me with your troll remarks.

4.I am guessing you have a reading disability, because I did complete it just like the rest.

5. It took me 11 straight hours before I could complete it on my own

So basically everytime that someone put the finger on your weaknesses and proves your bad faith, you can’t take it and call it “a troll” or “illiterate.”. Interesting.
The first thing that needs to be tweaked is your lack of skill, it’s not troll, it’s not meant to hurt you or anything, it’s obvious fact.

You spent 11H, ELEVEN HOURS trying this puzzle…. and you expect the world to hear your “objective” QQ with credibility… ?

Again, the puzzle is not perfect, but not as bad as you pretend it is. If others ASURAs can do it faster, you can.

(edited by Hughs.6549)

in Halloween Event

Paranormal Bear.2539

guess (gs)
v.tr.

Refer back to the predict/guess argument. You aren’t handed down a walk-through or layout of the puzzle in front of you. Instead you are manually doing it Indiana Jones style, and therefore without sufficient information you are left to memorize the route on your own while also having others block your view if your in a group of tall races and yours is at a disadvantage.

in Halloween Event

ToxicToothpick.4396

guess (gs)
v.tr.

Refer back to the predict/guess argument. You aren’t handed down a walk-through or layout of the puzzle in front of you. Instead you are manually doing it Indiana Jones style, and therefore without sufficient information you are left to memorize the route on your own while also having others block your view if your in a group of tall races and yours is at a disadvantage.

You know how far your character can jump.
You know how far a platform is.
That is sufficient information to predict a jump.

in Halloween Event

mrsrachelm.7618

The ACTUAL DEVELOPER of this puzzle, Josh Foreman, put a comment on youtube saying that he only expected 5% of the players to be able to make this. So this is your “friendly” approach to players without high-end computers, anet? To casual players?

No kidding. They deliberately and happily alienated 95% of their entire player base only 2 months after game launch, in a Holiday event which everyone always looks forward to no less! WTF? This certainly does NOT bode well concerning their attitude towards their players in the future.

I’ve said this on another thread but I’ll say it here too. It is my opinion that they seem to have it in their minds to milk the players for a couple years for real life money while investing as little as possible themselves….just enough to keep us around a while but only until we start dwindling away after about two years. I do not seriously think they have a long term goal in mind for this game. This is a cash cow for quick and relatively easy income and profit. I am open to changing this view if given enough evidence to the contrary but things like the ever present and unfixed camera issues, the fast-food like holiday content with no real planning on their part for the issues which would be very easy to gauge simply based on a little homework in what works and doesn’t in every MMO out there for these types of Holiday events, the nerf it rather than fix it when it comes to clipping issues, etc. If this holiday event is going to be indicative of the future…yeeeaaah, I won’t be around long nor will I sink very much of my real life money into the game.

in Halloween Event

Paranormal Bear.2539

So basically everytime that someone put the finger on your weaknesses and proves your bad faith, you can’t take it and call it “a troll”. Interesting.
The first thing that needs to be tweaked is your lack of skill, it’s not troll, it’s not meant to hurt you or anything, it’s obvious fact.

You spent 11H, ELEVEN HOURS trying this puzzle…. and you expect the world to hear your “objective” QQ with credibility… ?

Again, the puzzle is not perfect, but not as bad as you pretend it is. If others ASURAs can do it faster, you can.

Having completed this jumping puzzle in 11 hours is pure dedication to not forfeit it as most people did after 4 hours. It is called effort and is not a sign of weakness. It also means that I did not give up, no matter how many mechanical errors I had to face as an Asura.

But even though I achieved it, I didn’t feel like it was fair to the rest of the community. Some classes held special boons that were glitching/ or causing a disadvantage to other players, and of course size does matter in the current instance due to camera issues. So I felt there was a need to address this in order for it to be tweaked.

The only obvious fact here is that you are an obvious troll who used “luck” to get by the Mad King Clock Tower, and doesn’t want the devs to tweak the content so that others can have a fair shot at it as well. Looks to me like any credibility you had before, was lost when you came to my thread.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Swifter.6451

Swifter.6451

The ACTUAL DEVELOPER of this puzzle, Josh Foreman, put a comment on youtube saying that he only expected 5% of the players to be able to make this. So this is your “friendly” approach to players without high-end computers, anet? To casual players?

No kidding. They deliberately and happily alienated 95% of their entire player base only 2 months after game launch, in a Holiday event which everyone always looks forward to no less! WTF? This certainly does NOT bode well concerning their attitude towards their players in the future.

I’ve said this on another thread but I’ll say it here too. It is my opinion that they seem to have it in their minds to milk the players for a couple years for real life money while investing as little as possible themselves….just enough to keep us around a while but only until we start dwindling away after about two years. I do not seriously think they have a long term goal in mind for this game. This is a cash cow for quick and relatively easy income and profit. I am open to changing this view if given enough evidence to the contrary but things like the ever present and unfixed camera issues, the fast-food like holiday content with no real planning on their part for the issues which would be very easy to gauge simply based on a little homework in what works and doesn’t in every MMO out there for these types of Holiday events, the nerf it rather than fix it when it comes to clipping issues, etc. If this holiday event is going to be indicative of the future…yeeeaaah, I won’t be around long nor will I sink very much of my real life money into the game.

There’s plenty of more halloween content for those 95%, and It’s a lot less than 95%.

Go do something in the game that you enjoy. Can you really not accept that everything in the game isn’t catered towards you? Just because you can’t do it, or didn;t enjoy it, doesn’t mean it’s bad design at all. A lot of us found it to be our most fun experience in gw2.

in Halloween Event

ToxicToothpick.4396

Alienated? How the hell do you figure that? I finished it. My friend did not. Then afterwards we did other Halloween events and eventually ran Arah exp together. We were both just as strong as before hand, we both could access the same areas, and we both enjoyed the events. Only difference is that I had an orange bar in the Achievements log.

Hyperbole.

in Halloween Event

Paranormal Bear.2539

guess (gs)
v.tr.

You know how far your character can jump.
You know how far a platform is.
That is sufficient information to predict a jump.

You know you have a time limit.
You know your camera angles are distorted.
You know your in a group of tall norns and charr.
Hope this clarifies.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Argadem.6135

Argadem.6135

I can’t believe people are QQ’ing about this…can’t we have 1 hard thing in this game without people crying all the time?…the only thing that might need a fix is the groups you go in with but the puzzle itself should stay as it is

Argadem
Guardian – Gunnar’s Hold [IRON]
http://www.iron-gaming.com/

in Halloween Event

Paranormal Bear.2539

Here we go, the h4rdk0rez defending TEDIUM in the name of CHALLENGE.

Given enough attempts and optimal conditions, nearly everyone would be able to do this jump puzzle.

NEARLY. EVERYONE.

Acting like it’s some exclusionary privilege that only the leet jumpers can attain is quite obnoxious and does not serve to address the issues with the puzzle itself.

1) Camera freakouts. Human male, I’ve had them, especially when trying to take the outlying path to the left when the pieces of the tower break out and become platforms. It caused me enough failures to make me avoid that path at all costs.

2) Groups. This stupid insipid instance mechanic FORCES YOU to run with a mob where it is both difficult to see and unfairly adds artificial difficulty to the puzzle. The way I see it is this: if you’re going to make it a race, get rid of the rising tide. If you’re going to make it a time trial, get rid of the group mechanic. PERIOD. It is hardly fair to those who have to contend with an additional difficulty in the form of other people’s character models when the puzzle itself is already difficult enough as it is.

3) The idea that all it takes is learning is FALSE. I know the path. I have the speed. But I can’t SEE through polygons and I’m not a robot that can make mathematically exact keystrokes to follow the path blindly. Until that mandatory group mechanic and the odd camera bugs are removed (and some of the arbitrary geometry snags smoothed out), there is always going to be an element of luck working here.

STOP PRETENDING THAT THE ALL THE PLAYERS HAVING TROUBLE WITH THIS MERELY LACK THE MAD JUMPING SKILLZ TO DO IT.

in Halloween Event

mrsrachelm.7618

Alienated? How the hell do you figure that? I finished it. My friend did not. Then afterwards we did other Halloween events and eventually ran Arah exp together. We were both just as strong as before hand, we both could access the same areas, and we both enjoyed the events. Only difference is that I had an orange bar in the Achievements log.

That’s nice, dear. [pats your head gently while nodding and smiling]

Hyperbole.

Just an opinion. This isn’t a debate forum, sweetie. But, your high school debate team coach must be so proud of you.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: XiaMae.9874

XiaMae.9874

Do we really need to go into high school “Oh honey, it’s cute that you think you’re right” condescension?

I spent 4 hours trying to do it, kept making dumb mistakes right at the end, and I don’t think the difficulty should be changed at all. Not everyone is going to be happy, and every time I get disconnected and sent to another shard, someone in that group winds up completing the puzzle. It’s possible, you just need to keep trying. I personally think that its difficulty makes it fun. Some won’t agree. What makes their or my view on it more valid?

Also, speed buffs don’t always make it easier. It’s easier to overshoot jumps. This is coming from an Air attunement Elementalist.

Edit: Neglected to mention that I still haven’t succeeded, and IMO I don’t think the event needs to be tweaked.

(edited by XiaMae.9874)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Soja.5918

Soja.5918

ALSO ALSO ALSO

Summoned pets need to be stripped or instantly killed before the puzzle actually starts. Consider that #4.

The Crystal Desert beckons us. Ascension awaits us.

Keirlann Aurion – Ranger – Chieftain of the Ace Guard [AceG]

in Halloween Event

mrsrachelm.7618

Here we go, the h4rdk0rez defending TEDIUM in the name of CHALLENGE.

Given enough attempts and optimal conditions, nearly everyone would be able to do this jump puzzle.

NEARLY. EVERYONE.

Acting like it’s some exclusionary privilege that only the leet jumpers can attain is quite obnoxious and does not serve to address the issues with the puzzle itself.

STOP PRETENDING THAT THE ALL THE PLAYERS HAVING TROUBLE WITH THIS MERELY LACK THE MAD JUMPING SKILLZ TO DO IT.

I think certain people do that because the achievement itself means nothing unless it can be lorded over others who are having problems for whatever reason. It’s sad enough when this is done with things in real life but when people (many of whom are allegedly adults) do this with pixelated content in a video game, I really have to shake my head in amazement…and more than a little pity. It’s really a sad way to live feeling that’s one’s personal accomplishments mean nothing in and of themselves but MUST be constantly compared to those of others.

I agree with the content of your comment absolutely. Even the developer of the puzzle stated his belief that only approximately 5% of players would be able to do this puzzle successfully. Did he say that with the already existent problems in mind such as the camera bugs, the additional problems that would occur with the camera by forcing large and small races into the same small space, the lag for mid to low end systems, the fact that MMO’s are not actually designed well for platform styled game play especially with a VERY strict timer, etc? Could they have kept the challenge while addressing those issues? Yes, they could have but didn’t care to do so.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Moridin.6428

Moridin.6428

after 4 hours trying it again , and again, and …. i just had enought. this puzzle is the worst thing in the game, it is disgusting. First 20 – 30 times it was fun but now after 150 – 200 ….. it make ma want to delite the game. Wors THING IN THIS GAME

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Doctor Orderly MD PhD DDS.7625

Doctor Orderly MD PhD DDS.7625

Yoooo so much semantics in this thread.
I’m just gonna leave my opinion here. Imo, this jumping puzzle is kitten AMAZING. I absolutely loved it. I can think of only 2 issues, which are camera at the beginning and charactermodels. These didn’t degrade the experience for me at all however, I just saw them as an additional challenge to overcome (It is very reasonable to hate these 2 issues however haha). I guess I’m one of those players that likes hard content and welcomes it in GW2 (No, that doesn’t mean I’m elitist). Now then..
Is it bad design to make a difficult puzzle in a Halloween event? I would have to say no (big suprise huh). It really comes down to what has already been said. It’s ‘just’ an achievement. Now I perfectly understand that people want achievements, but it is ABSOLUTELY BAD game design to make achievements not much of an achievement at all. You don’t deserve the achievement in every sense of the word if you can’t do it. I don’t even consider that to be ‘harsh’ or anything. Some of them need to be hard to maintain their worth. And if you remain unable to do it, I don’t think it’s much of a problem. An important reason why being that it’s a difficult achievement in a special event rather than one in the main game. That’s because special event achievements really are less important than general achievements (regardless of how ‘important’ you find achievements to be in general). So good on you, Anet.
I find it important to remind everyone the direction games are headed: spoonfeeding everything. Just think about the immensely popular Farmville, which can be considered NOT A GAME at all, due to the lack of options (look it up, quite interesting really). It is absolutely detrimental if we let more games go that direction. So please stand strong and do not complain about difficult content that isn’t even mandatory.

For reference, I did the puzzle in about 1.5 hours, so I’m not even that good. Honestly I didn’t consider myself ‘good’ at all, it’s just that apparently most people are worse than me. Oh and please don’t blame Anet for your stupidity if you tried 11 consecutive hours and failed. That’s just not the way you handle difficult content. You try, and if you fail too much, you quit to try again LATER. You’re welcome and thanks for reading.

in Halloween Event

Paranormal Bear.2539

For reference, I did the puzzle in about 1.5 hours, so I’m not even that good. Honestly I didn’t consider myself ‘good’ at all, it’s just that apparently most people are worse than me. Oh and please don’t blame Anet for your stupidity if you tried 11 consecutive hours and failed. That’s just not the way you handle difficult content. You try, and if you fail too much, you quit to try again LATER. You’re welcome and thanks for reading.

Hey Doc, thanks for your input, but next time try not to attack others by your own failure of reading! I succeeded after 11hrs of effort. I’m not asking ANet to tone the difficulty, to the contrary, I am asking them to fix the common bugs preventing players from achieving/enjoying the puzzle as it currently stands.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Adam.4103

Adam.4103

A lot of people have completed it, so there’s no chance it will be altered. Just because YOU can’t complete it doesn’t mean there’s a problem with the way it’s designed. It’s supposed to be challenging.

Adam The Vanquisher
Gandara

in Halloween Event

Paranormal Bear.2539

A lot of people have completed it, so there’s no chance it will be altered. Just because YOU can’t complete it doesn’t mean there’s a problem with the way it’s designed. It’s supposed to be challenging.

Again, learn to read:

Kudos to the ones that completed the puzzle! It took me 11 straight hours before I could complete it on my own, and with that said, not all gamer’s skill are measured the same way.

The obvious facts are about obvious mechanical bugs, glitches, race elite boons, and camera problems that require immediate tweaking. It’s supposed to be challenging, but the game isn’t supposed to act as if it were a fresh buggy instance where one race/class/profession has exclusive bonuses that another doesn’t.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Them not having any issues with it doesn’t man there are no issues.

My last 10 attempts, I couldn’t go past the first gear. No, not the one before the first wall explosion. The very first gear, at the bottom, because I was stuck with the cinematic icon over my characters, unable to move until the fog appeared.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Doctor Orderly MD PhD DDS.7625

Doctor Orderly MD PhD DDS.7625

Hey Doc, thanks for your input, but next time try not to attack others by your own failure of reading! I succeeded after 11hrs of effort. I’m not asking ANet to tone the difficulty, to the contrary, I am asking them to fix the common bugs preventing players from achieving/enjoying the puzzle as it currently stands.

My post didn’t really address anyone in particular. If your stance is purely to fix common bugs, then my post didn’t really address yours at all. I just took the 11 hours-number because I saw the number come by and found it quite ridiculous.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Adam.4103

Adam.4103

Again, learn to read:

I did read it, all you’re doing is whining because you’re not good enough to complete it. I know several people who have completed it with Asuran characters who overcame the other problems you’re talking about. Sure there are a few technical tweaks that could possibly improve it but nerfing the difficulty is just plain stupid.

Adam The Vanquisher
Gandara

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Cyric.7485

Cyric.7485

That’s nice, dear. [pats your head gently while nodding and smiling]

Just an opinion. This isn’t a debate forum, sweetie. But, your high school debate team coach must be so proud of you.

Quality responses right there, way to have a mature discussion.

I think certain people do that because the achievement itself means nothing unless it can be lorded over others who are having problems for whatever reason. It’s sad enough when this is done with things in real life but when people (many of whom are allegedly adults) do this with pixelated content in a video game, I really have to shake my head in amazement…and more than a little pity. It’s really a sad way to live feeling that’s one’s personal accomplishments mean nothing in and of themselves but MUST be constantly compared to those of others.

I agree with the content of your comment absolutely. Even the developer of the puzzle stated his belief that only approximately 5% of players would be able to do this puzzle successfully. Did he say that with the already existent problems in mind such as the camera bugs, the additional problems that would occur with the camera by forcing large and small races into the same small space, the lag for mid to low end systems, the fact that MMO’s are not actually designed well for platform styled game play especially with a VERY strict timer, etc? Could they have kept the challenge while addressing those issues? Yes, they could have but didn’t care to do so.

Nice to see you’re in this thread tossing around your holier than thou attitude here as well, always consistent, I like that.

Oh and for the sake of adding something to this thread, perhaps they weren’t aware of the present issues in the puzzle. I’m not going to point fingers, but mistakes happen or things get overlooked, this wasn’t exactly a tiny update. Also to note, the puzzle hasn’t been unbeatable for quite a few people on a wide spectrum of computers and/or encountering some of these unfortunate bugs.

Losers make excuses, winners make it happen.

(edited by Cyric.7485)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Gisei.5749

Gisei.5749

Triple the length of the puzzle and buff it a bit. That should make it perfect.

(As an Asuran, I ran the puzzle just fine, many many times. When waiting on the clock to rotate twice before shattering at the top stairway, 4 out of 5 times, a Human or Asura would arrive to stand next to me. Very rarely was it a Charr, and I never saw a Norn make it.)

~Sorrow’s Furnace~
Guardian

in Halloween Event

Paranormal Bear.2539

I just took the 11 hours-number because I saw the number come by and found it quite ridiculous.

Totally agreeing with you that it IS ridiculous, however it’s demonstrating how frustrating people are dealing with the issues presented (esp. camera, boons, etc) and not having any updates to fix it.

Paranormal Bear.2539 : What’s obvious is that you needed 11 freaking hours to make it, and apparently no one can read except you.

There are some issues (camera, norns/chars, cutscene..) but nothing unbeatable, at all.

My last 10 attempt, i succeeded 6. And i don’t even consider myself good a jumping puzzles : )

Your just a troll that has nothing better to do. Nobody cares about how fast you completed, or how many times you completed. The main point of this thread is to provide some awareness over the bugs that need to be fixed so that others can also complete it. Stop being a jerk and be constructive for once!

Sure there are a few technical tweaks that could possibly improve it but nerfing the difficulty is just plain stupid.

Look; fixing common bugs such as camera, boons made by special characters but not available on others/ pets etc and other mechanical annoyances in the buggy puzzle does not affect anyone BUT the farming/troll encouraged height-prone, weight prone Norns/Charr that just farm the event for extra chests. Unless you are part of the average kitten group that thinks they are above everyone else, then this will not affect you.

It will not affect; and let me repeat: THESE CHANGES WILL NOT AFFECT YOUR PUZZLE DIFFICULTY! It will just fix the current high failure rate that is commonly LARGE in every server!