Proposed Solution for: halloween weapons

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Khailyn.6248

Khailyn.6248

As I’m sure many of you know by now that the halloween crafted weapons are also available as drops from the dungeon chest. from someone like many who gave up on getting the scythe and thought i could still get something unique with enough effort i was annoyed to find that others can get it with little effort. just luck. however, this is not a post to complain about how short sighted of an idea this was.
my proposed solution as common in other games is to just have a different color scheme for the 2 models to visually make them stand out from one another. I think this is the only way to be fair to those that plan on crafting it with such expensive materials.

chest drop weapons – redye to a shade of orange (staff lantern, shield face, etc) and midnight green (staff chain, bow string etc) since it is from the mad king loot.
crafted weapon – keep relatively as is. green lantern glow/blackish silver chain, pale shield face etc).

now i assume that like my other suggestion posts this will land itself on page 11 and never seen or heard from again. to fall on only deaf ears but just putting my 2 copper out there.

‘Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.’

in Halloween Event

Posted by: kRiza krimos.1637

kRiza krimos.1637

Offering solution for non-existing problem is apsurd.
Oh and yea, digging holes and choping wood is hard work, playing game is not hard work you know…

in Halloween Event

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

This may sound crazy but have you thought about doing both?

in Halloween Event

Khailyn.6248

btw. its spelled Absurd (ab·surd)
? ?[ab-surd, -zurd] Show IPA
adjective
utterly or obviously senseless, illogical, or untrue; contrary to all reason or common sense; laughably foolish or false: an absurd explanation.

secondly crafting the same item with 400 skill in a profession takes a great deal of time, and resources. going into a dungeon for 10 minutes and getting lucky does not. if it was a non-existant (not non existing) problem there would not be other posts complaining about it. just because you feel self entitled doesn’t mean that it is a fair situation. players should be rewarded accordingly for their time spent in game.

in Halloween Event

kRiza krimos.1637

I digged few holes in my time…choping wood, not so much.

in Halloween Event

Khailyn.6248

’ you’ve dug’ my lord. what country are you from?

in Halloween Event

kRiza krimos.1637

btw. its spelled Absurd (ab·surd)
? ?[ab-surd, -zurd] Show IPA
adjective
utterly or obviously senseless, illogical, or untrue; contrary to all reason or common sense; laughably foolish or false: an absurd explanation.

secondly crafting the same item with 400 skill in a profession takes a great deal of time, and resources. going into a dungeon for 10 minutes and getting lucky does not. if it was a non-existant (not non existing) problem there would not be other posts complaining about it. just because you feel self entitled doesn’t mean that it is a fair situation. players should be rewarded accordingly for their time spent in game.

So if I buy gems turn them into gold, buy all mats and craft that item in say, 5 mins…how will that reflect my time spent in game with reward i got?
Problem is kids are so spoiled today that if they dont get what they want same instance forums will burn!
Also, beeing petty about grammar doesnt make you any more right about this, sry.

in Halloween Event

Khailyn.6248

arenanets past views have been you can use real money ie buying gems as a substitute to spending time playing and earning gold the old fashion way. you can spend your time grinding out the mats and you still need to level up the appropriate trade skill, or you can spend RL money. your logic is flawed.

in Halloween Event

LameFox.6349

It’s a risk/reward thing. You could farm resources (or gold to buy them) and craft an item quite reliably, taking a fair bit of time (although in the case of buying mats you might have already taken this time). Alternately, you could do the dungeon and maybe get one sooner, but not necessarily what you want. Or you may spend just as long in there and wind up with nothing to show for it, or get something after a longer time than crafting would have taken.

Or you could do both.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: aliquis.9180

aliquis.9180

This may be a solution for some of those affected by this issue, but not for me. I am only interested in crafting something that is not available any other way. Basically, I am looking for alternatives for crafting a legendary, because the look of the legendary version of my weapon of choice doesn’t happen to appeal to me.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien, President of Arenanet

in Halloween Event

kRiza krimos.1637

arenanets past views have been you can use real money ie buying gems as a substitute to spending time playing and earning gold the old fashion way. you can spend your time grinding out the mats and you still need to level up the appropriate trade skill, or you can spend RL money. your logic is flawed.

So you want items to reflect recognition of time spent ingame, but buying it for cash is just as admirable as doing “hard work”. On other hand looting it honestly from dungeon doesnt show how hard you worked for it, right?

in Halloween Event

Khailyn.6248

i agree with what your saying lamefox. the problem i am seeing is where is the risk in spending 10 minutes in a dungeon to get what a 400 crafter has to work much harder for. a subtle difference between the two for when your (for example) sitting in divinity’s reach would be appreciated i think. that aside, i spent the time to get the plans for ‘the crossing’ and intend on making it no matter the cost since i am not able to do the dungeon this season. at least i’ll know in my own mind that i earned it.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Blueroseknight.7954

Blueroseknight.7954

I think that the color variation is a good idea

in Halloween Event

Khailyn.6248

ty blueroseknight i hate to say it but even in other mmos dungeon armors where colored differently from regular to heroic modes even while sharing the same model to reflect amount of effort required.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I don’t really see the problem… people complained about how it was too hard to get the craftable weapons. Anet offered a temporary solution for those who wanted to grind the dungeon for it. It has made the weapon more affordable during the event while still promising to offer a valuable reward in the future for crafting it as the price slowly rises since it will no longer be available as a drop in 3 days.

It is a solution to a non-existent problem. In 3 months the price will be as high as the pre-cursors and the people who had to have it NOW have a way to do so without spending that money.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: ElementBlu.8372

ElementBlu.8372

So by this logic, people who win the lottery should have a different type of currency because it’s not fair that I have to work for my money and they just got lucky… Regardless of how kRiza spelled it, this is still a pretty absurd idea.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: aliquis.9180

aliquis.9180

So by this logic, people who win the lottery should have a different type of currency because it’s not fair that I have to work for my money and they just got lucky… Regardless of how kRiza spelled it, this is still a pretty absurd idea.

The idea isn’t absurd, but your analogy is.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien, President of Arenanet

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Shinzan.2908

Shinzan.2908

The more people can get something the better, they shouldn’t change it imo.

in Halloween Event

LameFox.6349

i agree with what your saying lamefox. the problem i am seeing is where is the risk in spending 10 minutes in a dungeon to get what a 400 crafter has to work much harder for. a subtle difference between the two for when your (for example) sitting in divinity’s reach would be appreciated i think. that aside, i spent the time to get the plans for ‘the crossing’ and intend on making it no matter the cost since i am not able to do the dungeon this season. at least i’ll know in my own mind that i earned it.

The risk is the lack of a guarantee. You might do one run in 10 minutes and get a themed exotic, but it’s very very unlikely. On the other hand, you might go the whole event with nothing to show for it. It’s gambling.

If it were changed so that the best outcome was just as slow as crafting, the dungeon would be utterly worthless, because there would be no reason to abandon the guaranteed outcome of crafting.

in Halloween Event

Khailyn.6248

ah. ty for posting so clearly lamefox. gambling has been so rampant in this event (ie black lion chests). oh well, we’ll have to see how things look after the 4th.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Kaderin.7584

Kaderin.7584

however, this is not a post to complain about how short sighted of an idea this was.

I see what you did there :p Anyway, a dev post already stated what in general will happen, some people will get lucky yes but the drop rate is still quite bad, personally I ran in yesterday non stop since the event started and 12 hours later I still got nothing for it.

The prices for said items are only low now because of the “abundance” atm, after halloween the prices have one entire year if not sooner to spike as people “remember” that these weapons arent available anymore anywhere and can only be crafted for 100g+ in mats

All in all, I think that it was a great idea that they provided this small window of opportunity for players who have more time than gems to actually try and get something out of this, its just 2 more days and it ends with the start of act 4

in Halloween Event

Posted by: TransparentlyOpaque.1824

TransparentlyOpaque.1824

Offering solution for non-existing problem is apsurd.
Oh and yea, digging holes and choping wood is hard work, playing game is not hard work you know…

With a tractor and a chainsaw, its not that hard to dig holes or chop wood.

But people will still bemoan over tasks, its the nature of life.

in Halloween Event

Khailyn.6248

it would be amusing to have the chainsaw sword and greatsword as real weapons and not just skins. perhaps with the effect of being able to chop down tree twice as quickly. shrug maybe next year. besides, digging holes with explosives is more fun. just sayin’.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

Thread is more about grammar than guild wars.

I don’t see how different graphics would do anything except give another thing for ANet to have bugs with.

I ran a dungeon with a player with the greatsaw and someone with the scythe. Both very truly cool, regardless if crafted, dropped, or whatever.