Why I'm not happy with the Halloween event

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Replect.3407

Replect.3407

We spent over 3 hours tonight in the Halloween area of Lion’s Arch trying to figure this stuff out and it still MAKES NO SENSE what-so-ever.

And read the comments in the chat of the game. That’s all anyone is saying, “This makes no sense.”

And I’ve read all the posts here and only a couple people understood my original post. You should not have to “google it” ever. The announcements, the events, how it works, what you are ‘pose to be doing, all that information should be INSIDE THE GAME ITSELF. If you have to leave the game to get that information then you’ve broken the fantasy and ruined the reason that I game. I game to escape into another world, and you are forcing me to leave that world and go open a browser so I can understand what’s going on.

Sorry, but I have just seen the Teaser Trailer for this event (what tells nothing about how something is working), nothing more and I knew what was going on after 15 minutes without asking anybody, without reading chat… I knew what I was supposed to do within that custome brawl, got my item and information what to do to find those books and enjoyed the hunt on those.
So, I’m really sorry, but if you were 3 hours in the game and still didn’t know what was going on… Stop doing it! But don’t blame the game or the devs for not pressing all the information right in your face in-game…

I consider myself a casual gamer. I want to come home after work and escape into the game and have fun. We spent 3 hours on this content tonight and it was a confusing mess, and what little we did figure out how to do was zero fun. How is running around as a spider with 2 power (only 2 attacks) and getting knocked around and never getting a crown after over 30 minutes of trying… how is that any fun? It isn’t. It sucked. Badly.

It was so bad I felt bad feelings for even having asked one of my best friends to go into the game and game with me tonight. The content for this event is really that awful.

I played this custome brawl for 10 minutes when I joined the game and figured out how it is working after that, again, without reading or asking anything from players, just what the tool-tips of the skills and such things are telling me in-game. Then I moved to the book event that the guy in the event circle in LA gives you, enjoyed my time with exploring and searching for those books, got my little reward with a hint to act 2, came back to the custome brawl and got 10 crowns in total within 30 minutes with and achievement for it… Yeah, custome brawl is likely nothing more than exactly this and if you don’t understand it or don’t enjoy it, than god kitten leave it alone, nothing is forcing you to do it! But don’t blame the game if you aren’t able to get a single crown within 30 minutes… Uff…

And I never had the feeling that I’ve to buy something with gems, how some people are complaining in here… I’ve been doing everything I’ve seen related to Halloween and never was in a situation where I felt that I need something from the shop to do it!

Yeah, there are certainly problems, but what you try to sell… No!

(edited by Replect.3407)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Overunity.4273

Overunity.4273

I logged in saw the pumpkin head and giant orange circle .
I sipped from a cauldron and fought other players for a few minutes .
I saw the broken stairway in the centre .
I collected a mail with some candy corn and a scanner with 4 modes on .
I read the book clue ,figured it was to do with sewers ,swam all around lions arch ,ran all around lions arch ,found nothing with the scanner and used up the inital candy corn ,the only thing I found with the scanner was the invisible girl stood beside the npc which I identified by here name tag over her head when other players moved away .

I read on a third party site that Dulfy had a guide up already ,so I skimmed the detailed walk through but thought well this is most likely how most are going to do it and that’s bollocks and given what rewards we are likely to get ,if it’s not going to be fun and there are no rewards then just enjoy the scenery and continue doing what I was doing the day before .

My post early last week about the potential gem scam got deleted but this is an attempt at feedback take or leave it .
I’am not unhappy because I had no expectations apart from gem purchasable stuff so it’s working as intended and I’am queued for wvw not really sure why except boredom at 80.

We just want to have fun

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Overunity.4273

Overunity.4273

I’am starting to understand the gem thing ,you can take part in stuff for free with 2 attacks that are probably a little weak ,by dipping into a pot or,
You can purchase gems that give you the real costumes with full bars of attacks and the neccesarry power to pawn .
If this is correct then thats cool but communicating this clearly like " in the game you have access to everything free ,but because we obviously need to make money ,the real stuff is purchasable for cash .
Now that’s honest and I would have no issue paying for anything at all .
I would know up front that if I play casual and am not competitive then Arenanet will let me access the content for the experience ,I would also know that if I want to be more serious and competitive I will buy stuff with gems that will likely add up to a variable sub fee again this is perfect for me .
So why all the BS??

We just want to have fun

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Spendrik.2961

Spendrik.2961

It’s an MMO. There are other people in the game. Ask politely, if you can’t figure it out yourself.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: derekisazombie.2359

derekisazombie.2359

I cant stop laughing at this thread. My gf who doesnt even play mmo’s. Or many games in general knew what to do with finding the ghosts. You know. Read. It helps a lot.

I think the event so far is brilliant. Just because you lack the competance and attention span doesnt mean rage and quit. Guess thats the mindset of a lot of folks now… As a lore junkie myself the riddles were a whole lot of fun.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Thesalesman.8350

Thesalesman.8350

This thread is simply hilarious. In a sad sad way.
Even if you didnt read the official website which is enough, no real need to google anything, the big event circle on LA map and the event text constantly being on your screeen didnt give you any clue? Maybe talking to the event quest NPC and trying to do what she asks? Maybe than you would move just a bit outside LA, notice the candy corns around the map, the spawning doors too? It cant be really this hard to try to use your brain.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Ickorus.4518

Ickorus.4518

Big circle and pumpkin heads on the map not obvious enough for you?

Guild: Afterlife [AFTL] (Piken Square)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Tine Sionnach.8629

Tine Sionnach.8629

1)read
2)listen to Npc dialog in the city
3)read again if you cant figure it out
4) if your still stuck or need a hand out check forums

However I will say as a player of GW1 for 6+ years ANET did let me down with this event. Because in GW1 everything you could get via playing the game only special design costumes<not event costumes> had to be purchased with Cash. Yet in GW2 everything needs to be purchased or partly purchased with gems. Yeah I realize i can buy gems with gold however not everyone will have 30+g every event. The drop rates are too high on ToTs yet two low on Black Lion Chest Items. BLC never have anything useful in them and need a complete over haul, I have 1 level 80 and several alts I dont play my level 80 has 700k+ karma with nothing to spend it on. I was hoping that would change with the holiday events but i guess not. Oh and the craftable holiday gear have cool skins yet require as much mats as legendaries yet are missing a 3rd stat.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Ickorus.4518

Ickorus.4518

I cant stop laughing at this thread. My gf who doesnt even play mmo’s. Or many games in general knew what to do with finding the ghosts. You know. Read. It helps a lot.

I think the event so far is brilliant. Just because you lack the competance and attention span doesnt mean rage and quit. Guess thats the mindset of a lot of folks now… As a lore junkie myself the riddles were a whole lot of fun.

I have a buddy who generally hates puzzles and he loved the scavenger hunt.

Guild: Afterlife [AFTL] (Piken Square)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: ThePainTrain.8190

ThePainTrain.8190

I really can’t see why people are complaining that is too confusing.
I thought it was very simple to work out what to do.
It’s like some people need to be spoon fed every bit of information. What’s the problem with using your brain?

in Halloween Event

Posted by: wmtyrance.3571

wmtyrance.3571

I have to agree with the OP. Zoning into LA is awful. And the chat was full people just being jerks to each other or talking about how much gold they can make off skins. If this is how holiday events are going to be then i pass on them. I love the game but this week I’m just going to avoid LA.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Hardist.3104

Hardist.3104

It was so bad. So confusing. So awful, both of us were in shock. He kept saying, “When is the fun going to start?”

It starts once you start moving your character. Just look around you. If you’re not having fun, maybe that is not the fault of the game or ArenaNet, but your own.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: stonberg.4198

stonberg.4198

Yeah, it’s not like you could check the official wiki for a step by step guide….. Oh wait.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shadow_of_the_Mad_King

’aight, so it is as I thought, the Ghostly Banquet Table is bugged, plain and simple.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Tidussoul.7210

Tidussoul.7210

Funny how I was able to figure everything out myself, by just reading the mail they send me(ingame mail) and talking to the NPC, even found the locations with the clues myself. I don’t see how this was hard to understand the “quest”. But that’s me.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: sapiorion.3247

sapiorion.3247

Go sit in a corner and cry, if your incompetent brain cant understand an event as simple as this and you are to lazy to go to the wiki then hell, i’m not sure what you are doing here on the forums. You could have been on the wiki.

This guy says all I was going to say really.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: ThePainTrain.8190

ThePainTrain.8190

Go sit in a corner and cry, if your incompetent brain cant understand an event as simple as this and you are to lazy to go to the wiki then hell, i’m not sure what you are doing here on the forums. You could have been on the wiki.

This guy says all I was going to say really.

Yeah he summed it up nicely.

If you can’t work out this event, then I personally would love to see you rage quit this game and NEVER come back.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Trafalgar.5247

Trafalgar.5247

OMG whiners and complainers are becoming dumber and dumber.

1st this is Act 1, it INTRODUCES Halloween in Tyria, with the 1st main quest (the 6 pages of the book) and it did it quite well, I had lots of fun brawling, chaning my costume, going around searching for pages and mining candies,

2nd It is a much better content than many other MMORPG have. Deal with it, little kids.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: holska.4127

holska.4127

jackal

Whenever I asked anyone about it everyone would say, “google it.” “Google it” is the sign of VERY POOR GAME DESIGN.

Imo that’s actually a great design that you either have to figure out stuff yourself by listening to NPC conversations or talking to them yourself. There’s too many games out there that tell you exactly where to go and what to do there.
This doesn’t just apply to the halloween event but many things in the game, that you have to go out and explore yourself and get surprised / rewarded for it, good stuff.

As for the book, there’s pretty good pointers, if you talk to the NPC and actually pay attention he tells you about the device and that first usage of it will spawn a ghost to practise with it. That gives you a book with the first clues.
The clues are there.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Sahriah.3792

Sahriah.3792

I can’t believe i just read what you typed.

I logged in, in LA to see a massive event area on my map.
I go to said event area and see an asura with a large pumpkin on her head
I talk to said asura, i READ what she says, then i get a mail and i READ the mail.

It VERY CLEARLY explains ’this device, which is powered by candy corn uses different frequencies to detect ghosts

Oh i say, the ghosts must be part of the event. So i scan for the first ghost, as said, and since the ghost says nothing of to much consequence i look in my bag to find a book.

Oh its part 1..maybe there are more parts..oh look there are clues to sites on the book.

Seriously its not hard. I sat in LA for over an hr telling me to msg me if they had questions about the event and how it worked. 90%..90%!!! Did not read the mail that they got with the meter detection device in it. SERIOUSLY. As soon as i said..read the mail they got it instantly.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

I can’t believe i just read what you typed.

I logged in, in LA to see a massive event area on my map.
I go to said event area and see an asura with a large pumpkin on her head
I talk to said asura, i READ what she says, then i get a mail and i READ the mail.

It VERY CLEARLY explains ’this device, which is powered by candy corn uses different frequencies to detect ghosts

Oh i say, the ghosts must be part of the event. So i scan for the first ghost, as said, and since the ghost says nothing of to much consequence i look in my bag to find a book.

Oh its part 1..maybe there are more parts..oh look there are clues to sites on the book.

Seriously its not hard. I sat in LA for over an hr telling me to msg me if they had questions about the event and how it worked. 90%..90%!!! Did not read the mail that they got with the meter detection device in it. SERIOUSLY. As soon as i said..read the mail they got it instantly.

^ – This. I managed to get get the quest started and find 5 out of 6 clues without needing to google and that wasn’t due to a mis-understanding, after checking 5 graveyards around kryta I was completely stumped and discovered there was a 6th really out of the way in the human starting zone (Which I’ve never explored having never played a human)

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Naoko.7096

Naoko.7096

Quest are meant to be explorable afterall.

I had an entertaining incident yesterday.
We were trying to get the 1st ghost out so we made all sorts of stunts.
Everyone even queue up a line trying to see if the ghost comes out or not.
It’s really a cute scene to see.

There was a patch and discovered it was a bug lol.
It’s a good bug in disguise because if it weren’t for it, I wouldn’t be entertained by the silly stunts we made yesterday.

A cute scene from Crystal Dessert.

Attachments:

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Xomic.5792

Xomic.5792

I haven’t had too much of a problem figuring out what to do, or accepting that it’ll likely get clearer in the coming days, but I do find it really disappointing how much grind has been packaged into this “event” and how little there is to do for sub-80 characters/things to earn.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Rika.7249

Rika.7249

I’ll just be quick to say that “google it” does not mean bad game design. At best it means it’s complicated to explain. It will in most cases also mean that you, yourself are not doing the job of even trying to figure out what’s going on.
It took me 5 minutes of wandering around, no questions asked to anyone, to figure out what was going on and what I could do with these new events.
You’re just lazy, OP, and you should feel bad for being so lazy that you think it’s the game’s fault.
There’s an asura lady in Lion’s Arch. Talking to her gives you a ghost-scanner-majic.
Use the ghost-scanner-majic and you’ll see a ghost next to her. The ghost gives you a page. The page contains hints as to where other pages are.
Gee, this was too much for a regular person to figure out, huh?
No.

in Halloween Event

Rika.7249

Quest are meant to be explorable afterall.

I had an entertaining incident yesterday.
We were trying to get the 1st ghost out so we made all sorts of stunts.
Everyone even queue up a line trying to see if the ghost comes out or not.
It’s really a cute scene to see.

There was a patch and discovered it was a bug lol.
It’s a good bug in disguise because if it weren’t for it, I wouldn’t be entertained by the silly stunts we made yesterday.

A cute scene from Crystal Dessert.

Aww that’s amazingly cute, lol!

in Halloween Event

Posted by: guide.1487

guide.1487

Google it isn’t a sign of a very poor game design, google it is a sign of a very poor game community.

Your number one source for Guild Wars 2 Guides and Information:

http://almarsguides.com/

in Halloween Event

Rika.7249

Google it isn’t a sign of a very poor game design, google it is a sign of a very poor game community.

+1 to this.

People are being far too lazy and expect everything handed over to them.
People really don’t like needing to think anymore in games >.<

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Arya.5247

Arya.5247

I miss the original guild wars wiki, it was perfect, if u logged and didn’t know what to do, then wiki was your friend, it had everything (talkin’ about events) in perfect timing with the updates… wish it will become the same thing here, but for now, seeing how anet is not interessed in many things (bugs, bots etc..) and prefer to have a good gem shop to earn more money (more? wtf guild wars 1 didnt had a gem shop and was up and full of people for 7years) i higly doubt it will happen..

in Halloween Event

Posted by: igneous.8153

igneous.8153

I loved how “staged” events were designed in Rift. There was a quest tracker which clearly displayed the current stage, what it’s about, objectives and brief summary of the story involved. GW2 halloween “event” is such a confusing clusterkitten that it makes me want to get out of LA and never come back.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: HuntsForge.3260

HuntsForge.3260

Actually its both, especially with the limited time for the event, some clear instructions on what to do and who to talk to wouldn’t go amiss.
The riddles for the books are bit too vague especially if they are referencing areas you haven’t even got to yet (I’m level 80 I just hadn’t bothered with Kryta yet).
Overall its not very fun so I haven’t done very much of it, but I do like the scenery changes and the ghost dolyaks in WvW.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Erin.7521

Erin.7521

I had to ask one question. “Where is the event happening?” The response given “Lion’s Arch”. Everything else was more than apparent, and I even later found hints to go to Lions Arch out in the world (just not in the middle of the wilderness where I logged on).

When arriving in Lions Arch there is an event circle surrounding the person to talk to and they are marked with the pumpkin so they were easy to spot. All other issues I noted people finding was simply because they had not actually read the information they were given. It was incredibly clear how to use the machine and what you were using it for but as people skipped through all the instructions (which were very simple) I am not quite sure what else ArenaNet can do.

I suppose the only criticism I can make is it was different to their normal design as it was written text rather than voiced or visual. Perhaps that would have solved some confusion, but would people have listened to a cut screen or would they have just skipped that as well?

Rocking on Piken Square – the un-official EU roleplay server.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: tkalamba.2541

tkalamba.2541

I love how some people complain about free content…. not like you paid for an expansion.

I for one love it, spend 2 hours farming candy corn, did the quest chain and roamed parts of the world I have yet to complete opening those trick or treat doors. The back piece you get, sure has crappy stats, but I just transmuted the skin to my non-visible level 80 backpiece, and I’m now rocking it. They made the reward accessible to all levels so why expect it to be anything spectacularly powerful.

If you actually struggled to figure out what to do, I think you’re playing the wrong genre of game.

Lord Lefteris – Engineer [Sanctum of Rall]

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Bonefield.9813

Bonefield.9813

I am usually not a huge fan of holiday events, and this is without a doubt the best holiday event I’ve ever seen in an MMO.

I’m going to try not to be too harsh here, but for pity’s sake there’s giant Halloween icons all over the Lion’s Arch map. There’s a big orange circle in the center of the plaza. This is more information than you get to help you find the average dynamic event, so if you had trouble finding the NPC who tells you exactly what’s going on, I have to assume that you already find the basic game confusing and difficult.

Sometimes I criticize ArenaNet for trying to stick to the “lead players and let them figure it out for themselves” design when the best choice in a specific scenario would really be transparency (I apologize to any ArenaNetters reading this thread; I’m too tired to think of examples. But thank you for working on tooltips and trait descriptions). However, I suggest that you should give up on the Halloween content now, because when you do find out what more there is to the event other than jumping in a cauldron, you will probably be disappointed to discover that it’s a scavenger hunt. And it requires you to follow simple clues.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

I’ve a lot of people like that.
Want the rewards and the stuff everyone is showing off, but they want it all, they want it all. They want it all, and they want it now .

Adventure seekers found out the stuff first.
And they made guides for others to see.
The others came after them
Without thinking on heir own
Just go for the carrot, sticks skipped out.

“It ain’t much I’m asking”, I heard them say.
Gotta do the stuff on your own, if guides isn’t you way.

What the…? That was weird…

Anyways, the only thing that was missing was a mail inviting people to the celebration on Lion’s Arch so the most clueless know what’s going even if they just logged in without properly checking official site, forums and update notes.

Other than that, you don’t need guides to do the stuff. You go to LA, see the huge icon, check out the clearly indicated NPCs, talk with them, follow the clues explore the world, try out stuff in rafting stations and the mystic forge…

Guides and Google help if you are too lazy or too dumb (or both) to discover the stuff by yourself, but they are not required.
You can’t expect people to explain to you everything, sine it’s too long and too many stuff for the chat, and people keep asking, so the only good answers are “go tote site”, “go to the wiki” and “google it”.
You can’t expect the game to tell you everything ether, as discovering stuff is a challenge many people like, so the ‘mystery’ surrounding all of this is intentional, and pretty much required for them to enjoy it. And since using google the forums and the wiki are all free, for those that do not enjoy mystery and doing stuff on their own, they have alternatives.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Walram.1945

Walram.1945

Totally agree. The event is terribly chaotic and I didn’t know what to do untill I googled it myself.

I also disliked that I couldn’t complete the event as a low level character. My highest level character is 13 (because I gave my other account to my friends) and that’s just not high enough to complete the event (since it needs you to enter higher level zones in order to complete it).
The whole thing made me very sad. It tainted the view of the game so much that I just
don’t feel like logging on anymore. I just can’t be bothered too, since I looked forward to this Halloween event a lot.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

+1 to this.

People are being far too lazy and expect everything handed over to them.
People really don’t like needing to think anymore in games >.<

‘google it’ as an answer, also shows the agressiveness of players these days, when somebody asks for info or help.
It cuts both ways in showing how poor the gaming community can be.

Many posts here as well: it’s one thing to mention how you discovered it all by yourselves, but apparantly it’s also needed to insult the OP over this in many different ways.

Not saying the OP wasn’t biased himself in his post.
But some of the reactions here show the true face of the player behind it, regardless of the OP being wrong or not.

The GW2 community is becoming this elite club of insiders that think they are privileged to insult anyone who questions anything.
I thought the WoW pvp forums were as bad as it could get. So i was unpleasantly surprised to find out these forums come dangerously close to that level at times.

And for those saying i should get out than: not a chance. I paid for the game, just as all the others, I’m playing it, I’m staying on the forums till i’m done with it all.
Just as a small note for some who would prefer to have me gone as well

And I’m not generalising: to the many players that aren’t aggressive or insulting I gladly say: feel free to disagree, as long as we can do it in style.

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

in Halloween Event

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Hey, condescending, cynic and blunt is a style.

Asura style.

People should appreciate that more than white lies and false thoughtfulness. At least they’ll tell you the truth how it is, which is better than seemingly acting considerate for appearances, but actually not being considerate, or simply shutting up without saying anything at all.

The game has some challenges, either you face them, or you look for help.
If ANet made things simpler, there won’t be challenge for those who want it.
And if people answered every single question others have that is already in the official site, forums, wiki and countless guides one can google, they’ll spend the entire time typing in the chat, and that is hard when you have three veteran ettings trying to bash your face in.
So ‘google it’ it’s the best possible answer for everyone, excepting for those who see other players as NPCs that are supposed to cater to their every need, which they are not. When hey help you, it’s because they want to, not because they have to, and people forget that to the point that they demand help and insult those who do not help the way they want, instead being grateful for any help they may get, even if it’s just hints, tips and merely pointing the right direction instead handing you the stuff in a silver platter.

Asura do the things the way they should be done.
Keep archives to share designs and other info, form a krewe to tackle harder stuff, and if you refuse to use these tools, you are on your own.

Less QQ, and more Pew-Pew. Asura style FTW.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: joykafka.4308

joykafka.4308

I like this game very much, but halloween event did turn me away.

in Halloween Event

Kimbald.2697

Hey, frank and blunt is a style.

Asura style.

Of course it is!

I don’t mind frank or blunt as such.
It’s all in how you do it

in Halloween Event

Posted by: CheckeredDemon.4962

CheckeredDemon.4962

It seems that I’m in the minority here with some of you that enjoy this game and like to have fun. Most of the complainers are probably those that complain about pretty much every game they play. I so far have had no problem navigating through the event. Like most people have mentioned, paying attention to what has changed and reading dialogue goes a long way, but that should be with anything.

On another note, It is disappointing to see that there were players so quick to brush you off and not at least answer in some way. I always offer help whenever I notice someone asking, it’s not that inconvenient to do – I have actually found fun people to play with that way.

I’m sorry it was a bomb for you, but hopefully you can salvage your bad experience and enjoy the game more.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Shrapnel.7056

Shrapnel.7056

It seems that I’m in the minority here with some of you that enjoy this game and like to have fun. Most of the complainers are probably those that complain about pretty much every game they play. I so far have had no problem navigating through the event. Like most people have mentioned, paying attention to what has changed and reading dialogue goes a long way, but that should be with anything.

On another note, It is disappointing to see that there were players so quick to brush you off and not at least answer in some way. I always offer help whenever I notice someone asking, it’s not that inconvenient to do – I have actually found fun people to play with that way.

I’m sorry it was a bomb for you, but hopefully you can salvage your bad experience and enjoy the game more.

I couldn’t agree more. Another this to bring up is that this is the first part introduced so far. There are 3 more acts to play in next few days. To much unappreciated grief in my opinion. IF YOU DONT LIKE EVENT THEN DONT PLAY PEOPLE!

Aren Shrapnel (Level 80 Warrior)
Kaineng server
(Warsworn) Member. http://www.war-sworn.com/

in Halloween Event

Kimbald.2697

I couldn’t agree more. Another this to bring up is that this is the first part introduced so far. There are 3 more acts to play in next few days. To much unappreciated grief in my opinion. IF YOU DONT LIKE EVENT THEN DONT PLAY PEOPLE!

In all fairness Shrapnel, I think the OP’s entire point is that he WANTED to play the event, but had TROUBLE finding his way around .

Caps is sort of fun, I should do that more I think, but this aside

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Kana.6793

Kana.6793

It was quite obvious what to do, go to the big pumpkin on the map and then read what you’re given.

I thought the riddles were a lot of fun. I did the scavenger hunt with a friend and normally he finds all seasonal events boring, but we both enjoyed this.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

I want to start by saying that so far the Halloween event has been very fun, imaginative and great to look at. However I agree with the OP that introducing people to the event was not done well. I didn’t know that the main part of the event would be in Lions Arch (haven’t played the game very long). And once I got the mail from the Investigator I knew to go to various locations to find clues, but since I haven’t played the game long I had no idea where those locations were. If you didn’t know to read a guide to find the specific locations, you could easily use up all your candy just randomly using the machine.

And though I talked to the Master Carver, I didn’t understand why after carving like 10 more pumpkins I would go back to him and he would say I only carved one. I thought he was broken and almost stopped carving. But I did it anyway when I came across a pumpkin and eventually got an update (like the daily updates) saying I had carved 25 pumpkins. After that he said I had carved “a few” lol. I guess he just doesn’t know how to count

Anyway, I do think that they systems for “explaining” the event could have been better. And I don’t understand the people who got so bent out of shape that someone DARED to criticize the event. He’s right, you really shouldn’t have to go outside the game, even to the forums, to figure out something inside the game.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Reevac.1748

Reevac.1748

God forbid your hand isn’t held. I’ve played quite a few MMO’s I hate hand holding. Where the challenge in that. There are plenty of MMO’s that you can click the quest and it will even run you to the location.

Having to explore some is refreshing, I wish there was more of it.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Farry.8259

Farry.8259

Just watch this… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9yQJ-qryJ4
First I was like: What do I have to do? too, but its all about getting scrolls. And how to get them is in the description of the scroll.. its a puzzle.. so ofc you will get confused..

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Vanecrox.5094

Vanecrox.5094

I love how people are slamming this guy for being confused and saying stuff like “man it’s so easy to figure this out,” yet map chat is constantly full of people asking questions trying to figure out what the hell is going on. I suppose it would be somewhat easier if the GW2 Wiki page was update to be more like GW1:

GW1: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Halloween_2012

GW2: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Halloween_2012

in Halloween Event

Posted by: EricGORE.7896

EricGORE.7896

God forbid your hand isn’t held. I’ve played quite a few MMO’s I hate hand holding. Where the challenge in that. There are plenty of MMO’s that you can click the quest and it will even run you to the location.

Having to explore some is refreshing, I wish there was more of it.

I don’t disagree with this, but I honestly don’t know how some of the ghosts were suppose to be found given the terribly vague clues. I tried exploring, I spent a lot of time exploring, maybe I’m just dumb, but I finally gave up because this world is too massive to run around aimlessly with very little guidance. Challenge doesn’t have to mean being lost and getting frustrated until you have to Google it.

Do I make you Norny, baby?

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Arysta.9530

Arysta.9530

I gotta say, I would never have found the Mad King’s Memories books without the wiki page. That quest had old-school Everquest-style hints that you’re probably not going to understand unless you’ve explored every inch of the world, remembered where every NPC is, and remembered their back story. I know many self-proclaimed know-it-alls will argue with me about this until that vein pops in their forehead, but for the average person, those clues were wicked vague. I just don’t think you should have to read a wiki page to figure a quest out.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Ailsan.6327

Ailsan.6327

Wow…I am astounded at the OP’s inability to understand what was going on. I never read the developer blog post regarding the event but I was able to figure things out without Googling.

Yes, at first it was chaotic and I wasn’t sure what to do. But I decided to READ the tooltips of the skills I had while transformed into a costume. I toggled the costume brawl and started attacking other transformed players. I noticed a little counter above my skill bar and I READ the tooltip. I also took notice of how the counter responded to my attacks. Figured it out all on my own.

Then I went to LA and talked to the little Asuran with the big pumpkin icon over its head. I read the dialogue and …oh look at that! I got mail that further explained how to proceed. Using trial and error and reading tooltips, I figured out how to use the scanner.

I will admit that the scavenger hunt would be nigh impossible for a player who had not explored much of the maps or was not very high level. I read the clues given and was able to find all but one without any outside help because I have done a lot of exploring.

But come on, OP, it wasn’t NEARLY as bad as you say.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: thedgeone.9142

thedgeone.9142

I have to agree a bit with the OP. This event so far has been very confusing from the get go and has very little direction of where things are heading. Some things are very cool, but I was hoping for some more “event” feel to it instead of things thrown at us. Things could change as this goes.