Why I'm not happy with the Halloween event

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Zonzai.2341

Zonzai.2341

@thedgeone.9142

This isn’t the event. I would love to see everybody’s face who is complaining about how much they hate what they think is the halloween event right now, come halloween. B**** more now, feel like a bigger a** later.

(Note, I can understand the complaints about the black lion chest skins. That’s about real money. This is about being lazy.)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Ayane Hajinmon.9165

Ayane Hajinmon.9165

Hhhmm.

I logged in and noticed pumpkins and candy. Based on the title in the client, I knew the Halloween event had started.

I port to LA and look at all the decor for a bit. LA is obviously the game’s Hub, so that’s the place to go. No Google needed. Noticed a huge cauldron instead of a Mystic Forge. Hopped on up and was turned into a toy spider. Based on my buff descriptions and the obvious chaos around me, there was a pvp mini-game going on. No Google needed. Oh, and pumpkin carving.

Pressed M, and noticed a huge pumpkin on my map that wasn’t normally there. No Google needed. Went there, talked to the NPC and started the “quest”. Mail dinged so I checked it. Got a piece of candy corn and some odd device. Read description. Based on description of item and the explanation from NPC, I use candy corn to power the device and look for specters. No Google Needed.

So since I was given a piece of candy corn, I was obviously suppose to use it. So I did, next to the rather large gathering of people. Not to mention a quick glance at chat will enlighten one. A ghost appeared. Talked to it. Got an item that was obviously clues to the next ghosts. No Google Needed.

Completed that event relatively easy. No Google Needed.

The only part of my adventure I had to ask for help on, was how to get more candy corn. A quick /map and I was good to go. Google a little needed, but the candy corn nodes are a little hard to miss.

There was, and is, nothing unintuitive about any of it. People….

i was going to type something like this but then i saw your post so im just gonna quote yours XD

im sorry that you had a bad experience OP…just give it another chance and look around a little

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Brink.6175

Brink.6175

I think the #1 issue (aside from the whole BLC/skin fiasco) is only having the Halloween doors in a few low level zones. I would have felt more immersed in the game and the Halloween spirit if I could access these doors throughout the world, instead of leaving LA and suddenly having that “Where is everything?” feel.

Also, would have helped if ANet actually told us in the marketing email or via promotional messages “Halloween Doors have popped up in Queensdale!” Rather than claiming the event to affect ALL of Tyria.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Vorpal.4683

Vorpal.4683

A little more information would have been nice.

But I think the circle and pumpkin on the map give you a fairly good indication of where at least to get started.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Bonefield.9813

Bonefield.9813

I gotta say, I would never have found the Mad King’s Memories books without the wiki page. That quest had old-school Everquest-style hints that you’re probably not going to understand unless you’ve explored every inch of the world, remembered where every NPC is, and remembered their back story. I know many self-proclaimed know-it-alls will argue with me about this until that vein pops in their forehead, but for the average person, those clues were wicked vague. I just don’t think you should have to read a wiki page to figure a quest out.

That’s blowing it completely out of proportion. The clues are only a little tricky and lead you to places that are barely out of Lion’s Arch or the low-level zones of Kryta. Not everyone likes puzzles, but for the clues to have been any simpler they would have just had to be straightforward directions. The final clue even tells you the proper name of the place you’re supposed to go.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

I figured things right away. It was all stated, most of the things would be in LA. New items available from the gem store. You have it all on map, I don’t get it what’s so difficult to understand? Running around in one zone is enough to see that there are things added to the world. It’s better then most MMO-s.

Honestly if you judge the whole game by 1 event then there is something wrong with you. Try reading about the event in their announcments and emails before you complain that there is chaos everyhwhere…

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

I guess most of you play at different times or another server then i do.But my chat was filled with childish gibberish and continuous your mother jokes and im kitten jokes..i felt like i was in high school.When asking a simple question,no real help was given but Google.Everyone can figure out the scanning since there was an npc and a mail that explained how and why.But the costume brawl is just a chaotic mess imo.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Xia.3485

Xia.3485

I gotta say, I would never have found the Mad King’s Memories books without the wiki page. That quest had old-school Everquest-style hints that you’re probably not going to understand unless you’ve explored every inch of the world, remembered where every NPC is, and remembered their back story. I know many self-proclaimed know-it-alls will argue with me about this until that vein pops in their forehead, but for the average person, those clues were wicked vague. I just don’t think you should have to read a wiki page to figure a quest out.

That’s blowing it completely out of proportion. The clues are only a little tricky and lead you to places that are barely out of Lion’s Arch or the low-level zones of Kryta. Not everyone likes puzzles, but for the clues to have been any simpler they would have just had to be straightforward directions. The final clue even tells you the proper name of the place you’re supposed to go.

As a matter of fact, the device you use has an indicator that tells you if you’re hot warm or cold. Just running around with it enabled allows you to zero in on the area you need to be. The only tricky part is the Z axis…

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Wombatt.2546

Wombatt.2546

Feel free to uninstall and go back to Hello Kitty Island Adventure.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: bravoart.5308

bravoart.5308

Honestly, I’m rather tired of the lowest common denominator of the playerbase who, when given something new, screams at the top of their lungs, “WHAT IS GOING ON WHY WON’T ANYONE HELP ME WHAT DO I DO?”

Go explore, try, fail, learn. Don’t just sit there with your thumb up your kitten waiting to be hand held through everything. The initial NPC whom is in a giant event ring on your map even sends you a mail entailing what you need to do.

Stop being such lazy kittens and read.

Finally I recalled the stopgap solution of a great princess who was told that the
peasants had no bread and who responded: “Let them eat brioche.”

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Spendrik.2961

Spendrik.2961

I like lazy kittens!

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Cyferwolf.1089

Cyferwolf.1089

complaints…

Sorry to snip this but I didn’t want to spam the forum with everything you said again.

First of all Anet did post plenty of basic info in official places

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/events/halloween-2012/

They sent you an email with that link, posted it on twitter, facebook, and probably a dozen other places. If you read the blurb for act one it would tell you “The scholars of the Durmand Priory are concerned by odd energy fluctuations and eerie Halloween phenomena. Help them delve into the history and mystery of the Mad King in a series of all-new events.”. When you got to lion’s arch did you not notice the enormous orange event circle in the central plaza? Did it not make you curious that some NPCs (like the asura pictured in the act one blurb) had big orange pumpkins over their heads?

A big focus of this game is exploration and discovery. I understand if you’re not hooked into the community that it might be a bit frustrating to not have all the details handed to you, but Anet really did provide a lot of the basic information to you. I don’t think they failed to communicate at all.

As for the rest… I can understand if the costume brawl stuff is not to your taste, that’s pretty much just a fun diversion to make the costumes more appealing. And yeah, the cauldron jumping bit can get a little crazy with a lot of people. But overall I think you’re really blowing this out of proportion.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Cyferwolf.1089

Cyferwolf.1089

The big issue with the event and people being unsure of where to go or what to do is Anet’s continued use of Reddit and Facebook to host Q&A’s and posting information about the game.

There is an official website with forums, there is an official wiki. Use your official sites already instead of expecting your player base to go to reddit and facebook. This is the same issue people were having when you were posting information about parts of the game being down on reddit instead of here. You rectified that one, now fix this.

I mean come on, the wiki’s Featured Article has been the Hall of Monuments since…I can’t remember it ever being anything else. Use your official sites. Not Facebook or Reddit or Twitter or whatever else.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/events/halloween-2012/ They sent you and email with this link. Official enough for you?

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Ebon.7641

Ebon.7641

Holy hell is this thread for real? Basically because the event isn’t handed to you on a silver platter (much like the rest of the game) you’re going to whine and complain about it? I haven’t ever said this before but it seriously applies here – go play WoW where everything is so plainly obvious it smacks you in the face, you’d fit better there.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Thodorian.5981

Thodorian.5981

I have to agree as well with the OP.

I just wasted 15 candy corn on a scanner, with no idea what to do with it.
I find myself randomly pressing keys on the scanner thing and it just beeps … over and over :/

I asked another player, who told me to look for mysterious places, which i couldn’t find.
Apparently i’m supposed to get pages from a book with it?

<Confused>

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Ferguson.2157

Ferguson.2157

I just have to state my utter dismay at the fact than someone with the ability to turn on a computer, locate the game forums and post a new topic was also unable to look at their mini-map, see the pumpkin icon in LA, and go there and speak to the NPCs with pumpkin icons above them.

Wow! Just WOW!

“What, me worry?” – A. E. Neuman

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Max Lexandre.6279

Max Lexandre.6279

I agree, ANet puts the things into the game without any explanation how to start all this events.

Players who don’t know where to go to the wiki to do everything are just lost, REALLY LOST.
And I asked and people said me “google it”, BAH helpfull community is that?

I’m The Best in Everything.
Asura thing.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Zonzai.2341

Zonzai.2341

@Max Lexandre.6279
You think people owe you something? We should hold the hand of every person that asks what to do every step of the way? The question gets asked every two minutes in LA, it requires a lengthy explanation and everything is already clearly laid out at various websites. It is far easier for you to minimize your window and spend 10 minutes reading what to do than it is for me to show every person who asks what to do.

I can understand people saying that the quest might be a little cryptic. You can be mad at ANet for not making up for your inability to look at the map and see the giant bright orange pumpkin, or read the text that explains what to do or whatever you messed up. You paid them money to turn your brain off and click buttons. But don’t blame me because ANet didn’t coddle you enough.

(edited by Zonzai.2341)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Erin.7521

Erin.7521

I agree, ANet puts the things into the game without any explanation how to start all this events.

This is just not true. There are several NPCs (one just outside ever capital city) that tell you to head to Lions Arch. If you head to Lions Arch there is a massive circle on your map telling you where to go and when you get there the NPC has a large pumpkin floating above their head.

I have to admit I missed the NPCs to begin with as I was in the wilderness but heading to the major hub of Lions Arch solved all my issues with the event and I no more questions to ask.

Rocking on Piken Square – the un-official EU roleplay server.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Taurethion.7302

Taurethion.7302

Uh, wow. There sure seem to be a lot of jerks on the forums. Glad my server seems to have nice people. Proof RPers are awesome people.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: XiaMae.9874

XiaMae.9874

Uh, wow. There sure seem to be a lot of jerks on the forums. Glad my server seems to have nice people. Proof RPers are awesome people.

Just the vocal minority, that’s all.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Kiviar.7063

Kiviar.7063

Its honestly just not as well produced or detailed as seasonal events in other games. Of course there is also the whole black lion chest garbage too.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Moderator.9532

Moderator.9532

Due to the inflammatory tone of this thread, it will be closed. Please keep in mind that if you want to discuss issues on our forums, you have to do it in a constructive way.