Will there be free items for Halloween?

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Sousuke.7268

Sousuke.7268

@Cancer,

Exactly my thoughts on the matter.

While I don’t fully support the idea of some festival items being cash shop only, I understand why they did it like that, and that the gold to gem feature is not there for decoration (no matter how silly the current conversion rates are).

But the fact that you have to gamble for them is ridiculous.

If i want a special costume, I don’t want to spend a ton of money on stupid chests, I want the costume. Really dirty move on Anets, or whomever’s side.

But then again, the event is not live yet, we will see how it all plays out.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: obiemvy.5632

obiemvy.5632

@Charrgirl: you don’t need the items to participate… I am beginning to believe that you totally misunderstand this event.

The event, all the new content being added to the game, the whole holiday is free.

The only things that you would have to buy are full Costumes, Mini pets, special tonics, or gamble for Weapon Skins from chests. None of which are needed to participate in the event.

There are already tonics in the game that turn you into Orr monsters, that you can get pretty easily. The TP price on them might go up for Halloween, but knowing ANet and GW1, I’m sure some food items and tonics will be added as special monster drops for the period of the holiday.

-edit: Oh and @Sousuke: The promo details never mention the costume being given out by the BL chests. The costume(s) will most likely be sold like every other costume on the TP. Only the 6 weapon skins will be in the BL chests.

-edit2: honestly, I should have read their promo more thoroughly myself… maybe I won’t be opening the BL chests… only 6 weapon skins? I only wield daggers… how much you want to bet that there won’t be a skin for daggers… and I bet you one skin will 100% for sure be for the Great Sword… so unfair to other weapon users end rant

(edited by obiemvy.5632)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: AnthonyOrdon

AnthonyOrdon

Game Designer

Hey guys, just keep in mind that we haven’t revealed everything yet. You’ll just have to make sure you show up for the various phases to see what’s available.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Blighton.6425

Blighton.6425

EndlessDreamer.6780
Thanks Blighton.
I wasn’t saying you were lying, I just wanted to see what they actually said to judge for myself. Thanks for posting your sources!
October 19, 2012 20:08

NP, still cant find the profitable without RMT store quote, they did so many interviews during launch there is a flood of them, hard to track down an individual comment.

And for the reddit source, they answered alot of stuff and the notification for ANet posts is just a little grey icon next to the name that is close to same color as reddit background, so alot of stuff they answer is easy to miss

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Blighton.6425

Blighton.6425

-edit2: honestly, I should have read their promo more thoroughly myself… maybe I won’t be opening the BL chests… only 6 weapon skins? I only wield daggers… how much you want to bet that there won’t be a skin for daggers… and I bet you one skin will 100% for sure be for the Great Sword… so unfair to other weapon users end rant

Not to mention daggers in game are fairly small, unlike some games where daggers are the size of a certain brown cow’s leg

in Halloween Event

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

Did they nerf the drop rate of black lion keys I haven’t seen one drop for over a month…

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Arsenic Touch.7960

Arsenic Touch.7960

@roro, I’ve seen maybe 2 drop on my way to my first 80, and I leveled through each zone and personal story, not crafting or wvw.

The intent is obvious and I doubt they’ll fix the drop rate. They will probably nerf it, not that you’d notice since they don’t drop as is.

Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

Dragonbrand – Level 80 – Human Ranger

in Halloween Event

Posted by: nysta.6713

nysta.6713

anet don’t strike me as a scrooge company, though. i mean, look at this game. really. you’re all playing it, surely. don’t you think they could have gotten away with charging a sub for this? i know i’d have paid for it. i haven’t seen many things where i thought, “oh, i can’t play this unless i buy something.” try playing a lot of other cashshop mmos. some of them are frustratingly bare without investing.

for me, i think this game has been extremely generous for a free/cashshop mmo. and anet still haven’t changed from being that nice bunch of guys. i think just some of us are getting a little too entitled?

i’d be happy to buy from the cashshop. i’m not personally into the whole gems for gold thing, but if there was anything attractive, i’d buy it. because, to be honest, i spent more on wow in its first few months than i have here. and that’s awesome.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

@roro, I’ve seen maybe 2 drop on my way to my first 80, and I leveled through each zone and personal story, not crafting or wvw.

The intent is obvious and I doubt they’ll fix the drop rate. They will probably nerf it, not that you’d notice since they don’t drop as is.

During the first month of release I would get keys very often maybe like 1 every 100th mob or so now its non-existant

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Alur.7510

Alur.7510

@AnthonyOrdon It this indeed a dirty move that you guys put “skins for gamble on the black lion chests” why simply don’t put those as a pack for gems in the TP?

We don’t live gamble in this game, and I don’t thinking most of us are here for that, I don’t need to remember Aion when it comes to gamble cause that was the worst experience ever. The keys will be selling a lot, since they don’t drop any longer as much as they use to be. I played a lot last 3 weeks without a drop of them.

So please reconsider what are you doing, I will pay for them directly on the TP I myself bought gems for halloween, but if any of this gamble is again going for christmas, I think you will lose quite a bit of credibility.

TL:DR You will earn more money putting the skins as a pack or separate on the TPost, and not gambling the people on the “Keys” for chests.

EDIT: Hope you update us a bit more guys, and which chances we have..

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Mekboss.5069

Mekboss.5069

I’m sick of the gambling/RNG crap to be honest.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Bonefield.9813

Bonefield.9813

I think having the skins come from BLCs is a good move, and I don’t even really like the chests. As long as the drop rate on skins is decent, I’ll probably be opening up some boxes next week—and normally I don’t bother unless I get a key drop. I wouldn’t ever want to see the chests drop outrageously good items; the fact that they’re the only known way to get the Black Lion Salvage Kits is iffy enough. But having them occasionally drop different tonics and neat cosmetic items? Sure, why not?

ArenaNet’s in kind of a tough position here, because if they make the items from the chests too desirable, people will be upset…and if they don’t make them at least somewhat desirable, no one will buy keys. I’d buy a lot more of them if they were lower in price—say, 50-75 gems—because I usually just get a booster, the tonics, and a doodad, none of which I would have paid for by choice. But depending on what the Halloween skins look like, they might make it worth the price for me as long as I have a very good chance of getting them.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Nyaochan.1756

Nyaochan.1756

People need to stop assuming just because things are being added to the cash shop, there won’t be any free goodies given out. Yes, they may not be super awesometastic skins and such (which they DESERVE to make a bit of money off of), but I’m sure there will be more free offerings than the horns.

Also, chance boxes in games are nothing new. They also appear to be the best selling things in most places I know that use them.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

I hope the Halloween event blows the socks of every one in GW combined.

I think the first player to ask “How I get hat?” should get a free £50 worth of gems :P

(edited by Paul.4081)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: azurrei.5691

azurrei.5691

I wouldn’t ever want to see the chests drop outrageously good items; the fact that they’re the only known way to get the Black Lion Salvage Kits is iffy enough.

you can buy BL Salvage Kits directly in the gem store for 300 gems last I checked…

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

I wouldn’t ever want to see the chests drop outrageously good items; the fact that they’re the only known way to get the Black Lion Salvage Kits is iffy enough.

you can buy BL Salvage Kits directly in the gem store for 300 gems last I checked…

I’ve got 7 BL Salvage kits just from zone completions

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Voltar.8574

Voltar.8574

I’ve got 7 BL Salvage kits just from zone completions

got one for finishing my daily today.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

anet don’t strike me as a scrooge company, though. i mean, look at this game. really. you’re all playing it, surely. don’t you think they could have gotten away with charging a sub for this? i know i’d have paid for it. i haven’t seen many things where i thought, “oh, i can’t play this unless i buy something.” try playing a lot of other cashshop mmos. some of them are frustratingly bare without investing.

for me, i think this game has been extremely generous for a free/cashshop mmo. and anet still haven’t changed from being that nice bunch of guys. i think just some of us are getting a little too entitled?

i’d be happy to buy from the cashshop. i’m not personally into the whole gems for gold thing, but if there was anything attractive, i’d buy it. because, to be honest, i spent more on wow in its first few months than i have here. and that’s awesome.

You are entirely missing the point…its not about Us being greedy and not wanting to spend real money,and its not about us not having enough money for it.Its about the principle of not wanting to spend real money on Event items,things like that should be obtainable for Everybody Ingame,with doing Event quests and such.Not for the few that are willing to spend Real money on Event items,its pretty simple..if you’re willing to read.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Bandit.3856

Bandit.3856

I hope there’s more to the halloween event than the gemstore additions and the devil horns. I don’t really consider paying for ingame items an event :|

in Halloween Event

Posted by: carson yuen.6739

carson yuen.6739

^ read the halloween news in the offical website… there are more than that.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

You are entirely missing the point…its not about Us being greedy and not wanting to spend real money,and its not about us not having enough money for it.Its about the principle of not wanting to spend real money on Event items,things like that should be obtainable for Everybody Ingame,with doing Event quests and such.Not for the few that are willing to spend Real money on Event items,its pretty simple..if you’re willing to read.

In other words. the principle of entitlement.

They are giving us a free festival, free update with new things to do and a free hat. This was all stuff that people had to create concept art for, model, texture and program into the game. Are these people supposed to pay their bills with the combined gratitude of the game community?

Don’t kid yourself, this has everything to do with not wanting to spend money. Someone telling you you can’t have something for nothing doesn’t make you a martyr.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Pennry.9215

Pennry.9215

Hey guys, just keep in mind that we haven’t revealed everything yet. You’ll just have to make sure you show up for the various phases to see what’s available.

That’s just mean. Some people have other things to do then ensure they’re able to long in just to see what’s available. Would be nice to know what’s coming when and for how long so we can play accordingly.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Malaprop.1794

Malaprop.1794

That’s just mean. Some people have other things to do then ensure they’re able to long in just to see what’s available. Would be nice to know what’s coming when and for how long so we can play accordingly.

We do know the act structure of the event – the first act starts on the 22nd, the second on the 26th, the third on the 28th, and the fourth on the 31st.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: TransparentlyOpaque.1824

TransparentlyOpaque.1824

Im sure tomorrow they will post a little more details, since its less than 1 day left until launch.

We will have free stuff, and stuff to earn during the week.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Pennry.9215

Pennry.9215

We do know the act structure of the event – the first act starts on the 22nd, the second on the 26th, the third on the 28th, and the fourth on the 31st.

And what of each “act”? What’s in each act is a huge point on if I want to bother with it or not. It’s bad enough the whole event is so short, let alone the limited time for each “act”.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: TransparentlyOpaque.1824

TransparentlyOpaque.1824

How long do you want the event to last? A month? Its an event centered around a single day “holiday”.

Not everyone will be able to make every event, but im sure most people will be able to see at least a portion. Sounds good to me really.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Malaprop.1794

Malaprop.1794

If you feel you need to know the contents of each act before deciding whether or not to play – which seems reasonable up to a point – just check the official site, forums, and/or fansites when an act goes live. By the end of the day, they’ll be crammed with descriptions, screenshots, and videos.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Dungin.2983

Dungin.2983

I really think it is complaining for complaints sake. I understand people’s concern about gambling; I for one was expecting the BLC to be more of a cash grab than it currently is. There is not a subscription, and I love GW1 as well but it was a heavily instanced lobby game. They bumped their staff three-fold for this game, this is part of paying the bills for a game of this magnitude. Also with many games you cant buy the cash store currency with in-game currency. Given that option is in place I don’t see the QQ and arguing over symantics su h as a weapon skin being better or worse or a theme…people tend to anger for angers sake.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

Just coming to put my “cent” in the thread.

I’ve played too many F2P MMO’s with crappy lottery grab bag style of selling stuff. It’s horrible, and it left a bad taste in my mouth.

I would much rather just have the items listed for a static price. The gambling aspect only ticks people off.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Valentine.6529

Valentine.6529

Just coming to put my “cent” in the thread.

I’ve played too many F2P MMO’s with crappy lottery grab bag style of selling stuff. It’s horrible, and it left a bad taste in my mouth.

I would much rather just have the items listed for a static price. The gambling aspect only ticks people off.

I have played a lot of F2p MMO’s as well, and I agree that the lottery grab bag is awful in most cases. But so far in GW2 the chests have given me what I’ve wanted, and in all honesty their lottery grab bags are a lot better then other free mmo’s that you end up spending 100$+ just to try and get one item. I doubt Guild Wars 2 will be like that, because of what I just said. Especially since when I randomly bought dyes with GOLD, I got exactly the colors that I wanted. Another thing that Guild Wars 2 has that other free mmo’s dont have is a gold to gems prospect.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

Most F2P MMO’s I’ve played have pretty decent gold —> store options. Some even having a way to actually convert just the same. It’s not really new. Allods/Champions Online being 2 examples.

And yeah, I doubt GW2’s lottery chests will be AS bad, still doesn’t change the fact it’d be much more preffered just having them be listed for a flat price like the costumes and stuff they already have on there. =p

The only things I think should be allowed to be RNG are in-game non-cash shop related stuff. It just doesn’t feel good throwing away your money/gold to gamble for cash shop items, ever.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Valentine.6529

Valentine.6529

I’ve only played Nexon’s free to play games, such as Vindictus or Mabinogi. In both cases people ended up spending 500$ plus on a random item lottery thing to try and win armors and items. I’m glad GW2 didn’t go down this path, and I hope Nexon isn’t able to influence them. Hopefully the weapon skins are sellable or tradeable, that’d solve peoples problems with this random thing a little bit. But like I said, trading gold for gems isn’t a bad idea, albeit the price is shooting through the roof which is why I am stocking up. Plus I dont mind supporting the game company and spending a few dollars, since I’m not paying a monthly fee.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Ashes.6418

Ashes.6418

Won’t get a single gem spent on keys from me. I disapprove of authorised gambling in MMO’s.
Fortunately, all I’ll miss out on is a few skins.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Lorana.2468

Lorana.2468

GW2’s cash shop is the best i’ve ever seen/experienced.

feel free to show me a better model than a store that lets you get all of the items from it from playing the game at a reasonable rate.

i’ve already converted around 8000 gems from gold since launch, not spent a single dime.

granted gems are expensive now because of Halloween, but if you didnt see that coming you should learn to plan ahead.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Nihilus.3015

Nihilus.3015

Can we wear the Devil horns over our armor or is it town clothes only? Town clothes only would kinda suck.

AmateurNet

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Rhialto.8423

Rhialto.8423

I will buy the crap out of some weapon skins, chests, whatever it takes. Anet, you evil geniuses.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Araushnee.1852

Araushnee.1852

I don’t want to support GW2 by paying for a ton of keys only to not get any weapons skins. I would pay for weapon skins if it wasn’t a gamble. I’m all for supporting GW2, but not this way. I just hope these skins aren’t account bound and can be traded.

Gamer Gal

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Noobinson.8926

Noobinson.8926

I will see what happens,but from reading,to fully enjoy Halloween oyu have to spend money in the cash shop,i was afraid this was going to happen

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Zonzai.2341

Zonzai.2341

I would rather pay a sub than buy items from a cash shop.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Player.9621

Player.9621

i guess this event, at least this phase, is not for me as i do not have truckloads of ingame currency and am not willing to invest real cash into a “F2P” game for fluff that can only be used in towns, where i do not loiter.
my main is a Charr with native horns, so yea, even the freebie is lost

theres a bug with the brawl btw, if you use a mystery tonic then leave form you stay in brawl mode indefinitely as yourself with all your skills.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: SamTheGuardian.2938

SamTheGuardian.2938

Notice the portion of the patch notes that address this phase of the Halloween event is mostly concerned with COMMERCE and leads you back to the gem store in one way or another (through tonics, keys or style costumes).

The second part of the patch notes discusses the costume brawl which you can play for free in LA (if you can make up through the jumping puzzle) to play in the open world you have to spend gems. Although it states you can also play in the open world using town clothes (which is true) you will have no weapon skills if you do not have a costume.

They have to pay to keep the servers going. This event is designed to bring in revenue through gem store.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Player.9621

Player.9621

recipe for disaster
put it all in the shop let peeps pick and choose
they would have already made a load of cash
but instead they just annoyed a lot of people.

but all in all games new, rough times for MMO industry, hardcore standards, yada ya, i get all that.

points for effort, i wont stop playing regardless

in Halloween Event

Posted by: SamTheGuardian.2938

SamTheGuardian.2938

@Player.9621

I’m just going to pretend this phase of it isn’t happening. I’m not going to whip out my credit card to buy keys for chest (see other post here on the chance of getting something good on that). From the perspective of the MMORPG vendor the cash shop is tool, it’s a virtual casino. The game is free to play and fantastic in many aspects, they have to make money somehow. I just don’t like system the casino aspects of how the gem store is being used for this event in regard to chest items.

For ArenaNet I’m sure it’s an opportunity to see what works. If people shell out and this is a very financially rewarding holiday event for them then I’m sure we’ll see even more focus on the gem store next time around. The best thing you can do is put some caps on yourself or better yet only buy gems with converted coin. If you can’;t afford something avoid buying it instead of pulling out your credit card.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Noobinson.8926

Noobinson.8926

I take back my negative speculations,I’m thrilled with the way anet set this event up,and it is not required to cash shop to participate in all events such as costume brawl,Thank you Anet

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Jestersmiles.4365

Jestersmiles.4365

W/e happen to playing fun events like snowball fighting or wack a worm to get the cool stuff?, now it only through the cash shop? pfft w/e going back to farming cursed shore for my lvl 80 this event sucks.

P.S only got one key that I got from my alt, since only god knows when was the last time my lvl 80 even gotten one, and refuse to use it for some crappy skin with some crappy drop rate.

“Thank you for rezzing me”- Thankful Stranger
“Np, it part of the Job :) " – Proud Guardian.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Icewolfnector.1487

Icewolfnector.1487

Just some quick question:
So what event items like food, alcohol and fun item is there to get?
And how do you get them? Only from the gem shop or also from haloween events, games and mob drops?
For me the whole costume thing been sold for gems is ok, also was like his in Gw 1, but i would be really sad if you can’t get those items for free.
I mean it was really cool to get all this stuff from the quests and the game where the king appeared in town in Gw 1.
I loved those things like ghost in the box and the pumpkin head and there was so much of this stuff and it was quiet easy to get.
So what is it like now?
Can you only get them from the bags from the shop?
Because i don’t have limitless money avaible and i at least want to buy one of the costumes.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Just some quick question:
So what event items like food, alcohol and fun item is there to get?
And how do you get them? Only from the gem shop or also from haloween events, games and mob drops?
For me the whole costume thing been sold for gems is ok, also was like his in Gw 1, but i would be really sad if you can’t get those items for free.
I mean it was really cool to get all this stuff from the quests and the game where the king appeared in town in Gw 1.
I loved those things like ghost in the box and the pumpkin head and there was so much of this stuff and it was quiet easy to get.
So what is it like now?
Can you only get them from the bags from the shop?
Because i don’t have limitless money avaible and i at least want to buy one of the costumes.

There are a bunch of stuff you can get from the trick or treat bags which are dropped from monsters and from Raw Candy Corn nodes you mine. Tonics and food items can be crafted.