Human vs. Ausra: Have your say!!!

in Human

Posted by: mehh.1470

mehh.1470

The time for war has began. You are making the toughest decision of your life. Make it count!

Yeah, that’s what i’m thinking trying to decide between playing either asura or human. so i bought the battle right into the forums as the asurans vs the humans in an epic showdown. Tell us in every way possible which race is better and why? (animations, personal story, capital cities, voice acting, AWESOMENESS!!!)

I’ve posted this on both the asura and human forum so have your say and make it count. Which is BETTER!!!

in Human

Posted by: Flyfunner.2093

Flyfunner.2093

If you want to be boring play a human. Seriously, you’re a human in real life, why play them again in a fantasy game when you have such other nice options? Something like 50% of the people in game are humans (made up fact).

in Human

Posted by: Kerithlan.1659

Kerithlan.1659

If you want to be boring play a human. Seriously, you’re a human in real life, why play them again in a fantasy game when you have such other nice options? Something like 50% of the people in game are humans (made up fact).

I play a human because the humans of Tyria aren’t the humans of Earth, and I am capable of making such observations without exerting any effort. I’m capable of looking at the complex race of humans that exists in the Guild Wars universe, appreciating them for being vastly different than myself, and enjoying the fact that I can play a fantasy race that’s both interesting and different.

Until Guild Wars becomes Oil Wars and starts taking place on Earth, I’m just going to continue to laugh in the face of players like you who have trouble separating reality from fantasy.

Do you get upset because the characters in Team Fortress 2 are too human, too?

Fosthe — Sylvari Elementalist
Men of Science [MoS] – Tarnished Coast

(edited by Kerithlan.1659)

in Human

Posted by: Flyfunner.2093

Flyfunner.2093

Lol, you took it way too personally. I just think humans are really boring when you have a choice of four other races that are totally new and different who just started guild wars. Take the asura for matter, one storyline involves having yourself come back from the future to try and take over the world. That’s awesome. The human stories are just about finding your lost sister or joining a circus.

in Human

Posted by: synk.6907

synk.6907

It is fair to say I definitely hated the asura in Guild Wars.
I made one to get more of their story [and Zoija’s!!] and explore their perspective, and I am glad I did. There is a lot of fun there [like the story arc mentioned by Flyfunner]. Sure, they’re still dysfunctional, arrogant jerks, but there’s a lot of humor there, too.

The human storylines are, compared to the others at least, kind of meh. They certainly have their moments and fit well in the fantasy setting, but I wouldn’t be confident using that alone as a "selling point" for race selection.

I suppose I could go on and talk about the cities, animations, and voice acting as well, but I am not sure if that would help. What I like or don’t like may be vastly different than you. Perhaps you would be best served by starting one out and playing with different weapons and stuff to get a feel for the looks/"style" of the race and do a couple missions for the voices. Then swap and try the other. *shrug* I am definitely an "altoholic", though, so that seems normal to me and may be too much work to others.

in Human

Posted by: Kerithlan.1659

Kerithlan.1659

I’m just putting it out there that I really enjoyed the orphan storyline. It was more about throwing back to GW1 lore and re-establishing it within GW2 than it was about making me laugh or feel like the Batman, sure, but it also dragged me through the Krytan underground and gave me more insight into the Shining Blade.

As the Shining Blade showing up has been established as “A really, really big deal” it felt exactly like “a really, really big deal.” It’s similar to the giant sinkhole in Divinity’s Reach and the Shining Blade showing up: it wouldn’t be hugely important if the Shining Blade weren’t there. They’d just have the Seraph handle it if it was mundane.

I had more fun with that story than I did with my asura and sylvari characters, as it had the very big-time player feel to it that neither the asura nor sylvari had.

Fosthe — Sylvari Elementalist
Men of Science [MoS] – Tarnished Coast

in Human

Posted by: synk.6907

synk.6907

Oh, fair point.
The Shining Blade vs. White Mantle aspects of part of the human storylines is pretty rad for any GW1 vet.

in Human

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

Humans can become gods. Asuras can’t.

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

in Human

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

I may be human but am I blessed by Lyssa? No? Didn’t think so.

in Human

Posted by: ragingpuma.4618

ragingpuma.4618

reasons asura are better: not sexualised
reasons humans are better: not arrogant kittens

in Human

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Asura have the better racial skills, a more interesting story, more expressive characters. But their tiny weapons and armor make it difficult to want to acquire gear for a character that I can’t see it on. Mini swords and squashed armor vs a human who proudly shows off all that is acquired. But again, lame story imo.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Human

Posted by: Digital Dragon.2697

Digital Dragon.2697

Asura is fun, I like the story and how they talk. But as a female…I don’t enjoy running around looking like a boy. And the hair options lack.

It took me awhile to make a human female I like, that didn’t look like a little girl.

in Human

Posted by: ReqX.3178

ReqX.3178

@Seras: yeah right, Asura have too small weapons indeed :P
http://i.imgur.com/CFCWj.jpg
http://media-ascalon.cursecdn.com/attachments/1/396/634791813677518280.jpg

On topic: depending on what class imho… my asura necro just kicks kitten because she can ride on her flesh golem to infinity and beyond!!! (compared to ranger pets I’d guess those do not need food/water and do not pee to every tree)

But after a while her arrogance made me jump her off every bridge and cliff so I made a female human for my ele … no regrets so far :-)

Regarding lore… sry quite flat in GW2 for all races anyway…

Xefarya – X [REQ]uiem X – Riverside
dangerdoom.3862: We all know your setup by now:
2 guardians, 2 mesmers, 1 warrior and 3 forumtrolls

in Human

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

lol those weapons are so tiny! :/ asuras really have it bad when it comes to weapons (and back gears).. Human all the way!

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

in Human

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Honestly, if you like, you know, asura stuff (being witty, unpredictable experiments, insults) then Asura is surely the right choice.

If you like human stuff (politics, social stratification, bucking the system) the human really is the right choice.

Think about it this way, Asura are a sort of zany PG action movie while Humans are more of a historical drama. Both can be enjoyable, albiet for different reasons, it just depends on what you feel like watching.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

in Human

Posted by: Thevoidiscold.4910

Thevoidiscold.4910

Charr. Said and Done.

Ariel Ostrovsky
Blackgate/Guardian
Ayy Lmao

in Human

Posted by: LithePanther.5027

LithePanther.5027

Humans.

Asurans are short and I despise all short races and will never play them.

Also humans are more pretty!

80 Guardian. 80 Warrior. 80 Thief. 80 Engineer. 80 Necromancer. 80 Ranger.

in Human

Posted by: Kilger.5490

Kilger.5490

Asurans look far too goofy and cartoon like. I really hate the asthetics of the class, although I have come to accept them over time.

Kilger – Human Ranger
alts: Fangyre (Necro), Hardrawk (Ele);
Jade Quarry

in Human

Posted by: Linguistically Inept.6583

Linguistically Inept.6583

close one… but human is better imo

asuras have fun animations, but they start getting annoying after a long time playing, starting area/capital city suck, cultural gear is nice (possibly my favourite, norn is pretty good too; but i hate norn), but alot of armour/weapons are barely noticeable, difficult to differentiate genders (ive ran dungeons with female asuras i thought were male until they spoke) and horrible personal stories (mainly because zojja seems like a petulant child)

asura are my joint 2nd favourite race though (4 humans, 2 asura and 2 celeries)

Desolation: 80 ranger [Nightwither], 80 necro [Dusk Grimsoul]
80 warr [Blaze Steelsoul], 80 ele [Blaze Nightstrike], 80 mesmer [Grim Shatterwhirl]
80 guard [Dusk Grimlight], 80 engi [Flintgear]

in Human

Posted by: skotie.2614

skotie.2614

I picked human not because I wanted to play one but I thought the other races were just lame. Norn remind me too much of Nords from the elder scrolls, not entirely sure why they have a Norse mythlogy feel to them. Charr are just ticked off furry man/wolf people, I might have been interested in them but they just didn’t look right to me (too cuddly appearance still). Sylvari kinda remind me of night elves from WoW only worse, they aren’t hippies they’re actual plant people lol. Asura are short and shorts not always bad after all I like the idea of playing a goblin but a brainy short geeky alien type character that only seems to care about money eh not my thing.

Only really leaves one race left humans, least they are familiar don’t really like their lore or anything it’s more lack of good options in my opinion as to why I chose one.

in Human

Posted by: EpicFace.8096

EpicFace.8096

I would pick Asura, humans are by far too boring. Why be a human if you are one, true, and its just.. meh.
BUT, I favor charr over arrogant runts (asura), boring (humans), tall/dumb (Norn/Norn), and salads (Salads.).

“Charr, said and done.”
+1.

in Human

Posted by: SoulNC.6752

SoulNC.6752

For me I mostly play Humans because…it was the only race you could play in GW1…yeah not a strong point. But im so used to it.

I don’t like Asurans because they’re so snooty and stuck up from what I remember in EotN.

in Human

Posted by: Tarvok.4206

Tarvok.4206

I tend to play humans because I tend to find it difficult to identify with non-humans, and this is particularly pronounced in GW2.

I’d say I like Norns and Sylvari second best. Norns because they’ve got that proud boastful warrior race thing going that I enjoy, they still look pretty human (making it easier to come up with an ideal appearance) and their snowy lands are beautiful. Sylvari are probably the most alien, but they’re still fantasy tree hugger hippy people, and like the Norn, their lands are also beautiful places, if a bit much compared to human lands. And their body shapes are closer to my preference, though I do wonder what they hide behind the leaf. :p

Asura I put in third place. They’re short, ugly little people, and compared to the human and norn capitals, their capital is a pain to get around. (The Sylvari capital is also a pain to get around, but it looks cooler, IMO.). I haven’t played much with one, so I can’t comment much on their lands. It occurs to me that I probably should, with my main (I’m trying to get 100% completion).

Charr I dislike the most. I find their military-industrial focus highly distasteful, their lands have the feel of barren wastelands, and really, is it too much to ask them to brush their fur?

So yeah, I’d go with human… but I suppose an Asura that is friendly to humans would be a good thing. We’ll likely need the technical assistance once the Charr are off their leash. :p

in Human

Posted by: LieutenantGoogle.7326

LieutenantGoogle.7326

The dialogue of the Asura race is far superior to the human one.

lv80 with skills fully unlocked, warrior, elementalist and engineer
lv80 Necromancer, all professional skills unlocked, working on the final norn elite skills.

in Human

Posted by: Irena.1062

Irena.1062

I wish Asura looked like Tarutaru from FFXI, not like little blue ugly gremlins.

in Human

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

Asurans have the tech to become greater than gods.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

in Human

Posted by: Gandarel.5091

Gandarel.5091

Asurans have the tech to become greater than gods.

They just think that at one point they will have that technology.

Captain Deutschland, Ozzy The Insane, Hanz Limbchewer – r40+ mes/nec/engi Desolation
Fear The Crazy [Huns]