Why are there multiple seraph captains...

in Human

Posted by: AssaultPlazma.3904

AssaultPlazma.3904

Per region

I though one captain=controlled an entire region yet im pretty sure theres at least 2 captains in the harathi hitherlands and both captain lindel and tervelan (cough) where stationed in queensdale…..

in Human

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

I don’t know if the captains are in charge of the whole region, but rather a leader of a large group (like a centerion is over 100 people). Even if they were over a region, it would make sense to have more than 1 in the Harathi Hinterlands, as that is pretty much a war zone, and the more the merrier so to speak.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

in Human

Posted by: kolompi.1287

kolompi.1287

Each captain is probably leading a company of seraph, therefore more than one in one place is perfectly fine.

in Human

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Logan is also officially the leader of the Seraph, although surprisingly he doesn’t have a unique title (like “General”) to go with it. Maybe he’s a “first among equals” as far as the Seraph Captains are concerned.

in Human

Posted by: MaxTNT.3154

MaxTNT.3154

According to the GW2 wiki there are between 5-10 Seraph Captains at one time and they are the highest rank a Seraph can achieve. Logan Thackery is ‘just a captain’ but because he is very skilled, experienced and has direct ties to the Queen he is seen as the first among equals and all other captains respect him.

Also, I believe the zone’s we play in the game are a downscaled version of what the zone would be ‘in reality’ or lore. This is mostly because there simply isn’t enough farmland to provide food for everyone in Divinity’s Reach AND all the villages in Kryta. Covering such massive amounts of land with centaur camps and bandit hide-outs pretty much everywhere, it’s going to be hard for a single Seraph Captain to effectively organize all Seraph in a zone. For example, Captain Lindel seems to have her base of operations in the township of Claypool and her Seraph would protect the surrounding lands, but she would never be able to effectively protect Beetletun…
Looking at the Hirathi Hinterlands in particular, that zone is the front in the war against the three centaur tribes(Hirathi, Tamini and Modniir) so it’s quite logical that it would also have the highest number of Seraph troops stationed there. However, among so many captains, conflicting orders and an unclear chain of command are bound to occur. So I believe that is why Commander “Bulldog” Janson has the rank of Commander. It’s probably just a field title given out to the most senior or experienced Captain present to take overall command.(There is a second ‘Commander’ in HH, but I’m guessing this was an accidental mistake by A-net)

in Human

Posted by: AssaultPlazma.3904

AssaultPlazma.3904

@ above yeah I was wondering the same thing my guess would be like generals there could be multiple levels of captain will all being generically referred as “captains”

ergo
brigadier General
Major General
Lieutenant General
General

in Human

Posted by: MaxTNT.3154

MaxTNT.3154

I don’t think the Seraph ranking system is that deep. To me it seems like A-net wanted to shy away from making it to militaristic since we already have the Charr who have this so heavily embedded into their culture. Captain = Captain. There is no subdivision or anything. Keep in mind that apart from the standing army the Seraph are also the police force of Kryta, where the Charr(specifically Iron Legion since we only know of their capital at the moment) have these things clearly divided with the existence of the Adamant Guard in the Black Citadel.
As for military organization, I believe every Seraph Captain has several Lieutenants, who would lead a few squads, secure a single town or be responsible for the siege weaponry or support personnel. The squads would then have a Sergeant, maybe a Corporal or two and Privates as the common Seraph. I’ve not seen evidence of any other ranks among Seraph troops(besides of course the earlier mentioned ‘Commander’).
It’s at least very clear(to me at least) that there is NO single military leader for the Seraph(as opposed to the Shining Blade who are lead by a single ‘Master Examplar’). Logan might be an informal leader, but he doesn’t have any special authority or rank.