Birthday Gift Failed?

Birthday Gift Failed?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: ricky markham.8173

ricky markham.8173

I’m glad they went the single minipet for everyone idea rather than the GW1 model where players with more characters essentially got richer than those with less. I know I personally made 8 characters on launch day for that exact reason and I’m pretty sure a lot of other people also did this

However, I feel we should have received a separate mail with the minipet for the account birthday (so that you only receive one) and a birthday present per character that contained the extra boosts.

i made chars to save the names i wanted not for the 1 year gifts i wasnt sure id still be playing because me and sequels dont do well and this one i almost didnt make it. no the gift wasnt bad enough for me to think of quitting.
i wouldnt mind if all the minis they gave us were account bound so we couldnt sell them i like minis just not several of the same one

Birthday Gift Failed?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

This thread makes me lol, but yeah, they could’ve atleast tried with the Bday gifts.

Birthday Gift Failed?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Why couldn’t they be random like Guildwars was, it was so much less hassle and people could trade them, now i’ll have 11 Queen Jennas, talk about pointless..

Be better off with none tbh

Birthday Gift Failed?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: ricky markham.8173

ricky markham.8173

i would have been happier i think if they would have given us one present per account at the account getting one year then what they did. sad fact less would have made me happier in this regard

Birthday Gift Failed?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

my ranger was created on during the 3 day headstart, but still i haven’t received the birthday gift……

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Birthday Gift Failed?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Pure Heart.1456

Pure Heart.1456

If my friend (or someone I know) gives me a gift or gifts, and not an insult gift to make fun of me, but a gift that they spend time making or buying or acquiring, I will be grateful for them. I don’t care if it’s a pad paper that I don’t ever use, a dozen colored pencil of the same color, or a set of crayon I already have or just a stone-paperweight which will actually end up cluttering my work space. The fact is, someone spend sometime to give me something.

The thought counts, the actual gift makes it better, no matter what that might be.

Yep. I have to admit I’m a bit perplexed about the hostility towards the gift. Anet was certainly under no obligation to give us anything. [snip]
Like you said, it’s the thought that counts. The fact that I got something despite not paying a subscription fee is good enough.

In real life, we receive gifts from our friends—people who we expect to know what we like, after all, they’re our friends! It is disappointing when a friend gets it a bit wrong, but if they get it really wrong, it can be insulting, in which case no gift might have been better.

Some players feel like Anet just got it really wrong.

Birthday Gift Failed?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

I appreciate them, but I don’t know what to do with the extra identical mini’s o_o

Oceanic [LOD]

Birthday Gift Failed?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

But you do realize if they gave unique minis to each person who was an altoholic, people would say they were trying to force people to buy character slots, and people who play one character would complain that people with multiple characters have an in game advantage.

No matter what Anet did, they were going to get flack.

Unique minis? Not necessary. Random minis from a pool set aside specifically for birthday gifts? I don’t see any harm in that.

I know you don’t see harm in that. I don’t see harm in that either. But the conspiracy theorists would. They would say people who bought character slots will have a chance of getting more valuable minis and this game is now pay to win.

Hell I’ve seen it said over more ridiculous stuff than that.

Birthday Gift Failed?

in Queen's Jubilee

Vayne.8563

I appreciate them, but I don’t know what to do with the extra identical mini’s o_o

Nothing, but since they stack in a dedicated bank space, I just leave them there in case Anet figures out that people want something to do with them. Maybe, down the road, they’ll be part of a mystic forge recipe.

Birthday Gift Failed?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

I’m currently picturing people here in party hats at their own birthday parties. When they get a sweater that they know they will never wear (the inevitable gift that a grandparent or something would bring), they tear it apart in front of the heartbroken person that gave it to them and say “WHAT IS THIS CRAP? GET OUT.” The distraught guest/relative then runs out of the house, in tears.

That’s what you sound like.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

(edited by Auesis.7301)

Birthday Gift Failed?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

I’m currently picturing people here in party hats at their own birthday parties. When they get a sweater that they know they will never wear (the inevitable gift that a grandparent or something would bring), they tear it apart in front of the heartbroken person that gave it to them and say “WHAT IS THIS CRAP? GET OUT.” The distraught guest/relative then runs out of the house, in tears.

It’s more like your strange uncle, who happens to own a sweater factory, decides to give everyone in the family the same exact sweater for christmas. Only the sweaters happen to be labeled with advertisements for the sweater factory.

You insult your strange uncle and his gift while he laughs, throws his hands in the air and rhetorically states in a very slimy tone, “Hey, that’s quality knitting. Your lucky to own one of those. I don’t just hand ‘em out to anybody. Know what I’m sayin’?”

(edited by Elbegast.6970)

Birthday Gift Failed?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: sanedude.9450

sanedude.9450

MY CHARACTER’S BIRTHDAY IS AS EXCITING AS COMPLETING MY DAILY:D!!

Birthday Gift Failed?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

It’s more like your strange uncle, who happens to own a sweater factory, decides to give everyone in the family the same exact sweater for christmas. Only the sweaters happen to be labeled with advertisements for the sweater factory.

You insult your strange uncle and his gift while he laughs, throws his hands in the air and rhetorically states in a very slimy tone, “Hey, that’s quality knitting. Your lucky to own one of those. I don’t just hand ‘em out to anybody. Know what I’m sayin’?”

Well now you lost me, because I don’t see any advertising.

But hey, why don’t we look at the GW1 version of this story, eh? The one where instead of having any idea what he gives you, your uncle dips his hand in to a big of randomly assorted things he picked up on the way to the house. On your turn, he gives you a brick (Jungle Troll). When he sees your disappointment, he says “Oh well, better luck next time! But hey, Jimmy over there got a freshly cut diamond on his turn (Bone Dragon)! If you blow most of your life savings, maybe you can buy it off him!” He then proceeds to give hundreds of bricks to the other kids, until a few blocks down the road, maybe one or two other kids strike lucky and get a diamond too.

A few different minis to choose from would have been nice, but I’m glad GW1’s system is dead and buried forever. I hope it rots.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

(edited by Auesis.7301)

Birthday Gift Failed?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: ThePaladin.2140

ThePaladin.2140

Jesus. It’s a gift! The entitlement here is oozing out of my screen. I was raised to just say “thank you” when given a gift. It’s a gift! You don’t complain about a gift unless you’re a douchbag.

Birthday Gift Failed?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: yakuza snowdragon.4639

yakuza snowdragon.4639

If there ever needed to be evidence that this game is filled with over-entitled children, this thread would provide ample evidence.

It’s a gift. You did absolutely nothing to earn it, it’s just a token of appreciation. If you never use it or throw it away, who cares? To see people come onto a thread and whine that they wanted a better birthday present is just about as sad as watching a child throw a tantrum because they didn’t get the birthday presents they wanted.

It’s sickeningly entitled. And quite frankly it’s beneath the maturity level of players who are supposed to be at least 13 to play this game. This kind of whining would only be okay if you were younger than that.

I see you have no clue what this thread was about. Its not about whining, its simply pointing out something that would have to have been over looked because it doesn’t make sense to say the least. If you played GW1 you would know what your talking about and have a valid opinion but you don’t.
In GW1 players got mini’s, Random mini’s and each year they became more valuable which was good because people that had supported the game/company long term actually got rewarded. I purchase gems via the gem store supporting Anet, I have been playing GW1 for 6 years and GW2 since the first beta.
I’m not whining about a rubbish gift or saying I’m entitled to something or that they owe me I’m simple stating the reward they gave was duplicated on all 8 of my toons and or is completely useless to me a long term support of their company.
If there are other people whining in this thread so be it but don’t refer to the thread as a child whining when you clearly have no idea.

Birthday Gift Failed?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

I have never had a birthday gift in MMO before. I think it is nice that we get something.

Birthday Gift Failed?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Meh … just another useless item along the lines of the cutscene thing and sanctum model with the video from the 90’s. At least there is a collection slot for the mini.

Birthday Gift Failed?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

The amazing thing is that people that are on other threads screaming about how greedy the RNG boxes are come on here and DEMAND RNG gifts. The mental gymnastics involved are worth a 10.

But hey, why don’t we look at the GW1 version of this story, eh? The one where instead of having any idea what he gives you, your uncle dips his hand in to a big of randomly assorted things he picked up on the way to the house. On your turn, he gives you a brick (Jungle Troll). When he sees your disappointment, he says “Oh well, better luck next time! But hey, Jimmy over there got a freshly cut diamond on his turn (Bone Dragon)! If you blow most of your life savings, maybe you can buy it off him!” He then proceeds to give hundreds of bricks to the other kids, until a few blocks down the road, maybe one or two other kids strike lucky and get a diamond too.

A few different minis to choose from would have been nice, but I’m glad GW1’s system is dead and buried forever. I hope it rots.

Birthday Gift Failed?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Septemptus.7164

Septemptus.7164

MY CHARACTER’S BIRTHDAY IS AS EXCITING AS COMPLETING MY DAILY:D!!

That’s great statement…
Describes how I felt when I opened boxes from 2 to 9.
Basically after adding 2nd series of minis getting 9 queens I feel mad.
After having 9 caped characters and getting scrolls I also feel mad.

There were so many expectations by everybody especially GW1 players like me.

Well I guess I can use that booster for something… Maybe I will level fast 10th character from 20 up if I get bored to death…

(Yet the booster is only useful item after getting scroll from achievement chests)…
In other words I’m really, REALLY DISSAPOINTED.

Birthday Gift Failed?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Septemptus.7164

Septemptus.7164

The amazing thing is that people that are on other threads screaming about how greedy the RNG boxes are come on here and DEMAND RNG gifts. The mental gymnastics involved are worth a 10.

Getting RNG as free stuff once a year is great.
Forcing to spend a lot of cash/gold into RNG Black Kitty Boxes – yes that makes me mad.
Yet finally I can buy those items for gold and event if they cost 200-300g I’m sure I will get them instead of having a chance…

Birthday Gift Failed?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Then people will come on and say it is no fair! I bought 30 extra spots and only got a crummy queen, but this guy never played since they created the character and got x that sells for 600g! Or they say ‘I need to by lots of extra spots or else I will never get the big prize, ANET is just greedy!’ RNG is RNG can’t really like one and not the other.

Getting RNG as free stuff once a year is great.
Forcing to spend a lot of cash/gold into RNG Black Kitty Boxes – yes that makes me mad.
Yet finally I can buy those items for gold and event if they cost 200-300g I’m sure I will get them instead of having a chance…

Birthday Gift Failed?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

The difference is that I could either sell or dedicate the Jungle Troll at my Hall of Monuments. It has the potential to hold value for me or for someone else. It was also a nice surprise opening a GW1 birthday gift. Unlike GW2, you never knew what you were going to get.

The GW2 birthday gift has no value whatsoever. The mini is soulbound. The booster is worthless as I don’t play alts. It’s junk, plain and simple. I do not appreciate when someone gives me garbage and calls it a ‘gift’.

Birthday Gift Failed?

in Queen's Jubilee

Vayne.8563

The difference is that I could either sell or dedicate the Jungle Troll at my Hall of Monuments. It has the potential to hold value for me or for someone else. It was also a nice surprise opening a GW1 birthday gift. Unlike GW2, you never knew what you were going to get.

The GW2 birthday gift has no value whatsoever. The mini is soulbound. The booster is worthless as I don’t play alts. It’s junk, plain and simple. I do not appreciate when someone gives me garbage and calls it a ‘gift’.

Well this is true and not true. You could dedicate the troll in your Hall of Monuments, but not at Guild Wars 1’s first birthday..because it didn’t exist. The hall of monuments was added a couple of years later.

Since we have no idea if something like that will or won’t be added to Guild Wars 2, it’s not really a talking point. Particularly because the whole Hall of Monuments and dedication was set up to support Guild Wars 2 in the first place.

Birthday Gift Failed?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

Why did this thread get moved to “Queen’s Jubilee”? Character/account birthdays can happen at any time, and have absolutely nothing to do with Queens Jubilee.

Mods – suggest you move it back to where it came from.

Birthday Gift Failed?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Avatara.1042

Yargesh…I think you might have something wrong with you.

Birthday Gift Failed?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Shpongle.6025

Shpongle.6025

shud be like gw1, random roll mini, first year gifts random minis of set 1, 2nd year gifts random minis of set2

like gw1

Are you Shpongled?