Chomp and Strum.. No idea how to beat

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Zeraphina.1053

Zeraphina.1053

As it says…. I have no idea how to beat this pair in the gauntlet. (And judging by the rage around the net…I’m not the only 1 getting kitten ed about this wave) I’ve burned over 60 tickets now (and as u can imagine…an equivalent in money for repairs) trying to beat this part.

I’ve tried a geared out, LvL 80 for all 8 classes that I’ve been trying it on. I’ve tried the “DULFY….kill the dog first..” method…and then tried killing Strum first on ALL of them…. I’ve scrambled builds… equipment …. on all of them… nothing is working…

The closest I got to beating this wave was on my Ranger.. killing Strum first…which I actually managed to do some how (with his BS 1-hit after pulling u all the way across the cage crap)… only to be 1-hit myself by the dog…. and then the floor fell out of the cage.

Wonderful….

I’ll be requiring a freakin’ refund ANET for all that repair work.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

Instead of raging, why not pay attention to him and why his dog runs off at times?

As soon as you see him about to toss the meat for chomper, get to it first. If chomper eats enough meat, you WILL lose. A speed boost of some kind helps here, or CCing chomper. The food buffs you just as well as chomper.

Keep the good away from chomper, and you will be fine.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Thedarkdot.2793

Thedarkdot.2793

-Zerk mode on
-Bring stunbreakers/blinks/movement/w/e to get away from the big guy when he grapples
-Bring stuns/knockbacks/pulls so the dog doesn’t eat too much meat

-Pew pew dog
-Steal his meat(4th stack will stun you, so just get 3 and nuke moar)
-Pew pew the other guy once rid of dog

Just wait till you get to miss darkness after that.

Thetinydot [OATH], mesmer
Ring of Fire

in Queen's Jubilee

Zeraphina.1053

Been there, done that…. consumables + boosters… doesn’t seem to matter…. kinda hard to “get to the food first” .. when I’m being yanked back across the room before reaching it… poured on the CC’s… no go… he heals like 10-15% each piece he eats…. I couldn’t drop the dogs HP down enuff to keep up with the heals…

Did I mention the pain in the kitten 1-hits..or almost 1-hits…that might as well just go ahead and be 1-hits?

Like i mentioned earlier.. no idea how to beat it..and have no F’ing clue how others r doing it…

EDIT: btw… none of the controls seem to be working in there anyways… rangers roots… guardian chains… necro fears…. etc… just getting big fat “IMMUNE” pops for all of that stuff… thought it might be important to add that since that is what everyone keeps posting to do everywhere else.

(edited by Zeraphina.1053)

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

Can you give us some info on what class you are playing so that we can give you tips on a good strategy.

With ele, I had no issue by taking Rock Solid (stability), which also cripples on earth attunement. Going D/D gave me lots of chills, cripples, immob, and movement. I used signet of air for a speed boost, and glyph of elemental power in earth to cripple on 25% of hits.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Coldin.2840

Coldin.2840

Being a thief, I abused my caltrops, using them every time they were off cooldown. I also used blinds so their big damaging attacks would miss. Since the caltrops will get a good long-lasting cripple on the dog, it means I can usually beat him to most of the meat. I killed the norn first though, and then worked on the dog. The key part though is making sure you’re getting the meat instead of the dog.

Coldin – Thief – Sanctum of Rall

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Thedarkdot.2793

Thedarkdot.2793

Been there, done that…. consumables + boosters… doesn’t seem to matter…. kinda hard to “get to the food first” .. when I’m being yanked back across the room before reaching it… poured on the CC’s… no go… he heals like 10-15% each piece he eats…. I couldn’t drop the dogs HP down enuff to keep up with the heals…

EDIT: btw… none of the controls seem to be working in there anyways… rangers roots… guardian chains… necro fears…. etc… just getting big fat “IMMUNE” pops for all of that stuff… thought it might be important to add that since that is what everyone keeps posting to do everywhere else.

-I suppose you could get stability, though I didn’t really need it. Just use mostly ranged weapon and stay in the middle so you can get to the food fast.
Sure, dog might eat 3 or 4 meat, but by that time you should have 3 meat as well.
As soon as you have 3 meat you can burst it down to hell pretty quick.

-Cripple and knockback works for sure, I’m reasonably sure stun does too.

Thetinydot [OATH], mesmer
Ring of Fire

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Oranisagu.3706

Oranisagu.3706

I’ve had my troubles with those two as well. every tactic I tried failed. my successful attempt was severly inelegant and void of any strategy:

• be a mesmer
  • kite both to a wall
  • line them up nicely with focus #4
  • burst as much as you can while keeping them at the wall (gs 5, focus 4 etc) without taking too much dmg (sword #2 of course)
  • win

it really came down to just burst them down. dog survived a bit longer and I had to kite for a bit (I knew I’d be dead if he hit me even once), with my illusions distracting him sufficiently.
I also used the stun-mantra to interrupt strugar when he tried to throw meat. didn’t work always but got a few interrupts through (combined with gs#5 and focus#4).

now I’m stuck at the last boss ^^

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: UnrepentantProcrastinator.7420

UnrepentantProcrastinator.7420

I don’t know how it could be that hard for anyone…

Literally all you do is run for the meat and grab it before the dog. Neither of them do any damage until you kill one. Did this on full Zerker and I don’t think I went below 66% health, ever. Dog just nibbles at you, but kill it first and then burst the guy. Before killing the dog you can just ignore your health.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Wayland.3528

Wayland.3528

Ya this is a rough one for me. I managed to get Strugar down once and was immediately one shot by the dog. Having a tough time doing both DPS and trying to chase meat.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Bogy.2953

Bogy.2953

if you really have all classes at lvl 80 geared i cant believe you wouldn’t just load up a necro with blinds and face tank these guys

well that blinds wall that fears when they walk into it plauge form the minion with the active that blinds em just sit in the blind spam n degen em to death and whenever possible steal the meat from the dog

in Queen's Jubilee

Zeraphina.1053

I call BS on this remark…. you lie like a rug for sure with that 1…

Literally all you do is run for the meat and grab it before the dog. Neither of them do any damage until you kill one. Did this on full Zerker and I don’t think I went below 66% health, ever.

Was dead by the time i grabbed the 2nd piece of meat….. I think the weakest hit I took was around 4500.

And I had already tried that blind/fear wall that u mentioned bogy …. see my reference to “IMMUNE” … pretty much everything i throw down that could slow/immobilize or cause any other kind of control effect is…well.. INeffective… it’s not working… even got yanked across the arena while in plague form… how UNawesome is that?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: MystF.5186

MystF.5186

Well, when I was pulled over by Strugar in the beginning of the round, this guy was already throwing the meat while I was in mid-air. I couldn’t even get up and he pulled me over again. Then I was laying down for 3-4 seconds and they were beating living out of me. And once I was up with my tiny health left, my skills react up to 2 seconds later since pressed. And there I was.. downed.

Including random character movements when trying to pick up the meat myself.

Try it in the evening when servers are, and especially this map is, way over-populated.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

I’m an ele, so this is what I did. Spec into arcane and fire. Grab elemental surge, arcane wave, and arcane power. Use a +40% Condition duration food. Grats, now you can perma chill the dog. While keeping him chilled, run around and eat the meat. Doing this will keep him weak and make you very strong.

Of course you can also use other things like immobilize, stuns, and kd as well. I went s/d zerker when I did it, but I guess you could go something else, like d/f for more snare and a bit more mobility. Lightning flash also helps as the 3rd utility, but be ready for the 5 sec stun/daze (I don’t remember which it is) when you pick up the last meat.

(edited by Navzar.2938)

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Missywink.7162

Missywink.7162

I am giving up on this one as well. Its all fine and well Warriors and Guardians coming on here and saying the easily beat this, but try being a light/medium armour class where you get hit for 9k, stunned and then hit again for 6k. Its insane.

I have tried to avoid damage as much as possible by dodging and using knock back, have tried to get as much thrown meat as I can but the knock downs, leaps and pull backs are pathetic.

Am an engineer and have tried 4 different builds, with different kits and different gear now all to no avail. I really cannot be bothered wasting my time on this anymore. I don’t mind things being tough, I enjoy the challenge. Getting to Chomp and Strum was difficult, but I enjoyed it. However this one fight is now really getting to me. Surely ArenaNet must realise that a Light/Medium class cannot not take hits like Heavy classes, which this fight is obviously biased towards.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: UnrepentantProcrastinator.7420

UnrepentantProcrastinator.7420

Was dead by the time i grabbed the 2nd piece of meat….. I think the weakest hit I took was around 4500.

Was it the second piece of meat, or the second piece of meat you went for? Because they do very little damage if you don’t let the dog get one.

Did this with my Mesmer, just Mantra for Conditions and Blink and Mirror as Stun breakers. Full Berserker.

in Queen's Jubilee

Zeraphina.1053

Tried your version Nav… in hopes of at least a mild success… like downing at least 1 of them… it would be a fail… but it would still be be progress.. no go….

just cant take the mass dmg from these cross arena leaps… insta-down…

So far… the best progress I’ve made was on my Ranger again… downing Strum first…then going for the dog…. thought I might actually make it this last time… got the dog down to half..

Then…

SCREW YOU….!!!!… floor drops out….

Seriously?…… I finally had a chance of completing it..and this happens?

I’ve had enough…. not likely I’ll be able to finish this portion of the living story….

Not if this is the kind of crap I’m gonna have to subject myself to….

80 tickets blown now…. along with the sizable repair bill…. its just not worth it…

in Queen's Jubilee

Navzar.2938

Well if you ever decide to try ele again, you can mix in some pvt armor and drop fire to 25 so you can get the water heal. You’ll still have to mostly rely on paying attention to dodge the attacks though (perma vigor helps a lot with that).

Again, the most important thing is denying him the meat and taking it for yourself. It gives you huge damage buffs.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: eekzie.5640

eekzie.5640

Eat all of his meat, and keep a stunbreaker for the 4th one.
Once you start stacking those you’ll deal a lot more damage and it should be fairly doable

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

I’m having a hard time on this myself on my ranger. From what I’ve noticed, despite what everyone things, it’s easier to take Struger down himself. When I aim for his pet and go for the meat, Struger does massive damage to me, and by the time I’m downed, his pet is at 75%. But whenever I aim for Struger, he’s down past 50% before I’m downed.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Turmoil.7380

Turmoil.7380

I tried this with all my toons and was so frustrated because i kept failing until i tried it on my conditionmancer and it ends up being my easiest fight yet! I run scepter/focus and staff with 20 30 20 0 0. The constant poison and cripple from scepter really helps against chomper and the poison reduce his healing in case he ever got to the meat first

|Proud citizen of the Toast|

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Setun.4368

Setun.4368

Getting through the fight itself is pretty easy if you have access to hard CC regularly (I did it on my mace/shield / gs warrior). What I did was stay in melee of both NPCs, and when the norn would toss the meat I’d stun the rock dog, grab the meat, and continue hitting them. Kept doing that until one of them had low health then I blew them up with everything I had. Usually by that point the other npc was just as messed up so they went down quickly as well.

As for the getting stunned every 4th meat eat I kept a stun breaker open just for it.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: WilliamDaBloody.2591

WilliamDaBloody.2591

Same problem on a warrior. Yes, I know I need to get the meat buff and deny the dog as much as possible.

But that is what usually happens: I get one meat, maybe a second if I am lucky. And I really mean lucky, because the Norn constantly pulls me across the room. And he spams meat like hell. Usually on both ends of the dome, so the dog will get one no matter what I do. I do not have unlimited CC.

Yes, I have equipped a lot of stability, but that does not help here as he is constantly pulling me with every attack as soon as I am not close to him. And I need to get away from him to get the meat.

Yes, I saw videos and I wish I was so lucky in my 60+ attempts that meat is not spammed like every 2s followed by a pull as soon as I run for it.

In the videos it is close the where the guys do some DPS. If I would get such a version I would beat this one easily for sure. The videos look absolute nothing to what I am experiencing.

But I never do. Meat spamming, and getting pulled constantly is the only thing I get.

And if I ignore the meat thing completly and just DPS these guys I run out of time.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: TheKillerAngel.3596

TheKillerAngel.3596

Level 80 thief, sword/pistol. High initiative regen build (20 in acro + infiltrator’s signet/5 in trickery). Spam pistol 5, facetank and cleave them to death. Doing this I beat it on my first try.

Think stacking and skipping trash is cheap?
Read: Playing to Win.
Guide: How to play a Mesmer in dungeons.

in Queen's Jubilee

Missywink.7162

Ok, another build with new weapons and again another pointless respec/weapon crafting. This time Strum threw the meat at Chomps paws 4 times in a row. I had no chance to even get the meat.

ArenaNet, I have always supported you, I love a challenge. But this, this is infuriating. You always seem to allow NPC’s to spam the crap out of there abilities. At least give us a level playing field where they have cooldowns like us. Would love to know the cooldown of the leap and pull abilities as Strum is forever casting them.

Am walking away from this now as to be honest it is driving me nuts.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

also why cant we cc any of the npcs other than knogkdowns

in Queen's Jubilee

Missywink.7162

Yup, my net turret and net gun ability are useless.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: innocent ouarior.1954

innocent ouarior.1954

It took me some tries on Elem (actually not much after I understood I have to take foods).
Did it in D/D with mucho stability, movement and healing (0/0/20/20/30).

CCing the dog is hardly an option, you have to be faster and survive long enough to have food buffs.

in Queen's Jubilee

Rezzet.3614

It took me some tries on Elem (actually not much after I understood I have to take foods).
Did it in D/D with mucho stability, movement and healing (0/0/20/20/30).

CCing the dog is hardly an option, you have to be faster and survive long enough to have food buffs.

wich is the problem not everyone has viable stuns engineer needs immobilize but nope cant immobilize in the arena

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: cpg.7140

cpg.7140

I just beat them with my ranger (wasn’t able to get the extra achievement although if I put enough time into it and really pay attention I might have a shot).

Axe/torch, longbow. Snow leopard and white moa. Signet of stone, muddy terrain (for the cripple), and signet of the hunt (could probably replace this with a stunbreaker or another cripple, but I wanted mobility). Rampage as one was the elite I chose since I figured the vines wouldn’t be effective.

Just tried to keep the dog chilled as much as possible, with some cripple thrown in when I could. I imagine I got good luck in terms of meat placement but my passive movement buff + the chilled debuff on them made a big difference. I didn’t pack a stunbreaker so I just used signet of stone to survive the immobilize once I got the 4th piece of meat.

Was running 30/0/30/10/0, had zome zerker armor (only exotic set I have for this character so something with some more survivability would probably help, since the meat can get your damage up pretty nicely).

I was very close to being downed by the time I finished, but my pets took very little damage so I think I still could have pulled it off either way. I’m debating whether I want to put the effort into trying to go back and get the achievement; I have a sneaking suspicion my success was a fluke and I’ll just get mashed any time I try again. But hey, what’s done is done.

EDIT: should add this was without food or boosters. I was repping ebonhawke (or whichever the one is that gives retaliation) but do those even carry over into the arena?

Hobwash
[TAS] – The Asuran Squad
Devona’s Rest

in Queen's Jubilee

Rezzet.3614

im starting to think devs dont test their junk before throwing it at people

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: aeneq.1760

aeneq.1760

I found it quite easy after a few tries, not sure if it was luck or if it is repeatable…

Range DPS the dog and run along the outer edge of the dome, youll kite the guy behind you and swiftness is def. recommended. The dog will move out after the meat and you can basically autoattack him if you are not comfortable doing quick turns to fire backward.

Ignore the meat unless it lands infront of you, the dog should never get a hit on you so his boost doesnt matter.

An alternative to this approach is to nuke the hunter down and kite the dog around the outer edges but this might be trickier. Just dont get stuck on chasing the kitten meat…

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Yeni.3507

Yeni.3507

Done it on my thief and kill it with achievement too!
Go full PVCondition, dagger/pistol with shortbow.
Keep black powder up for that 100% blind, and spam caltrop. Best if you traits for dodge with caltrop, also stun on steal.
Scorpion wire, shadow step, signet of shadow with basilisk venom.
Make this fight such a easy mode, condition alone is enough to drop both to 20%hp on 5th meat and just finish them both after that.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: WilliamDaBloody.2591

WilliamDaBloody.2591

Finally got it. This time the Norn did not pull me, so I could just tank/cc the wolf. Did not pickup any meat, but the wolf could not. Was a close call. In fact it was easy. So RNG plays a huge role here what the Norn does.

Now Liadri can’ be that annoying.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Eroiqua.5891

Eroiqua.5891

Six tries, every time the first piece of meat is thrown right on top of the dog. Half the time the second piece is as well. It’s to the point of trolling now.

in Queen's Jubilee

Zeraphina.1053

HOLY F’ING MOTHER MACREE..!!!!!! I FINALLY GOT IT..!!!!

Not by some outrageously intricate strategy or anything…..

But by PURE F’ING LUCK!!!!!!!!

Strum basically threw the first several meats practically right at my feet!!!!!…

HOLY CRAP!!!!… I couldn’t believe it…I almost kitten’d it up!!!…

I don’t even care now whether or not I ever beat Liandri …. I was just so sick of this particular 1 that I’m happy enough as it is!!!!

Good lord it’s finally over…..

I hope and pray the rest that are still having a pain with this 1 get that 1 lucky version I just got and spare them the pain I had…. and that you get it SOONER than I got it.

86 tickets it took….. what a pain.

in Queen's Jubilee

Missywink.7162

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Finally killed them. Was a 100% pure luck kill. Strum threw 3 pieces of meat at my feet. I burnt down Strum first then worked on Chomper. I must give credit for the kill to my Rocket Turret though as I was downed at the time of the kill.

Seriously though ArenaNet. I love you guys and I love challenges. However some of these encounters are just plain RNG. There is no strategy to them. Whats worse is that 100% of the mobs are immune to my Net Guns and Net turrets, which for an engineer like me is rather frustrating……….. no infuriating.

Now for the last boss.

in Queen's Jubilee

Navzar.2938

I guess the real strategy is to look hungry so he throws the meat at you :p

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Bambu.4270

Bambu.4270

Steal the poor dog’s meat.

That’s progress. Hooray for progress!

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

I just used swiftness and rolling around on the floor.