Couldn't beat Liadri - No regrets

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I know the event isn’t over, but it is for me. I have to go to sleep now and work tomorrow and by the time I get home the patch will have hit and I’ll have lost my chance.

I’ve spent a lot of gold and a lot of time over the last few weeks trying to beat Liadri. Originally because I wanted the mini, then just because I wanted to do it. I came close – I got her down to about 1/3 health on my best attempt, but I didn’t do it.

And now I have nothing to show for all that time and effort, right? Except I don’t see it that way. I have nothing tangible. I don’t have the mini or the achievement. But I feel like I’ve gotten a lot from this fight, and the Gauntlet in general.

Mainly I know it’s made me a much better player. A couple of months ago I re-mapped my keyboard to put all my skills on the number pad and part of the reason I did it was because (being left-handed) I could use my thumb on the arrow keys to kite. Except I never did. It was only when I started doing the Gauntlet, when I had to attack and kite and move the camera all at once that I finally learned to do this.

Now I do it all the time. I was fighting a Champion solo during one of the Invasion events and I was kiting around it, dodging at the right times, switching between my longbow and short bow effectively and although I couldn’t quite solo it I did decent damage and managed to hold my own until help arrived. That would never have happened without the Gauntlet. When I started I didn’t think I could even reach Liadri (I’ve never considered myself a good player) so it’s been a huge boost to my confidence to know I could even get that far.

I also thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to test myself against something truly challenging. I can’t remember the last time I did something this hard in a game, with this many different aspects to keep track of. I don’t think I’ve ever done it in a game without a pause function or turn based combat. Honestly although I’ve never considered myself the type of gamer who wants virtually impossible challenges it’s been hugely fun and I look forward to the fact that by comparison pretty much anything else won’t seem so bad*. It’s a bit like when I moved on to other jumping puzzles after finally doing Dark Reverie but on a much broader scale.

And like Dark Reverie I also look forward to going back to the Gauntlet when it returns and finding that I’ve continued to get better and now I can do it relatively easily.

*I’ll get back to you on this one after I’ve seen SAB Tribulation Mode.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Lucky.9421

Lucky.9421

That’s the spirit!

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

/fistbump @ Danikat

I know the feeling. I did manage to beat Liadri, but I passed on the Light Up the Darkness achievement this time around, since I barely scraped past Liadri with my sub-par gear. I’ll wait till the Gauntlet returns before attempting it again, but yeah, it’s a very satisfying feeling seeing your skills gradually improve each time you challenge Liadri.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Genesis Notch.1905

Genesis Notch.1905

I lost track of how many tickets I have used against her.

In the end, perhaps she just gave in to my persistence. Patterns are clearer, bomb clones are slower, vortex helped me out and red circles seem brighter.

All these just to keep me from looking under her skirt each time I go down. 8D

I am in charge of gas tanks. Tink Tink.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

I lost track of how many tickets I have used against her.

In the end, perhaps she just gave in to my persistence. Patterns are clearer, bomb clones are slower, vortex helped me out and red circles seem brighter.

All these just to keep me from looking under her skirt each time I go down. 8D

Well you can’t deny she is pretty <.<

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

/fistbump @ Danikat

I know the feeling. I did manage to beat Liadri

Exactly, /fistbump to the OP!

Up until late last night I was prepared to make a post like this, but suddenly I got on a roll and got her lower and lower with each try until one of my last tries when I had her under control. Was literally shaking and tried to type on map chat and whisper with friends afterwards but all letters were scrambled.
But I was prepared for her return with QG next year; she’ll be around and you’ve become a better player from going head to head with her and you’ll get her next time!

Love the challenge this brought, Anet, more like it please! Roll on next year’s Queen’s Gauntlet!

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

Never beat Liadri either. Though I only tried it like 20 times before giving up. Would have probably tried more but I grew tired of watching my Norn’s huge back all the time.

One – Piken Square