Remember when games were actually hard?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Thanks for Liadri Anet. Games are way too easy these days.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

I agree there

I remember playing Arkham City…………don’t get me wrong, I love the combat in that game……..but when I got a achievement for essentially climbing a roof in a scripted event I was like “……….hold on, what was that for?”

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: sablephoenix.1593

sablephoenix.1593

Get real. Forget Liadri, a good number of the other bosses are too hard already. I’ll never even see Liadri because too many of the other fights are luck-based. When you’re fighting things that ignore the combat tools that work everywhere else in the game, like evading for example, it becomes a frustrating exercise of trial-and-error. ArenaNet, word of advice: players hate it when the game cheats.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Thryfe.2576

Thryfe.2576

Get real. Forget Liadri, a good number of the other bosses are too hard already. I’ll never even see Liadri because too many of the other fights are luck-based. When you’re fighting things that ignore the combat tools that work everywhere else in the game, like evading for example, it becomes a frustrating exercise of trial-and-error. ArenaNet, word of advice: players hate it when the game cheats.

What? Which boss exactly can you not evade? Trial and error is part of any challenge, when you get an Achievement its because you’ve Achieved something.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Vayra.3290

Vayra.3290

What? Which boss exactly can you not evade? Trial and error is part of any challenge, when you get an Achievement its because you’ve Achieved something.

I’m guessing the mines. They still hit you through evade.

The Unnamed[ThUn] – Desolation
Vayra – Elementalist
Forkrul Assail – Mesmer

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Archon.6481

Archon.6481

Which bosses require luck?

Archonicable – Thief
0/6/6/0/6 – D/D + D/P
Crystal Desert

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

The only RNG in the entire gauntlet is Strugar tossing his Meat (distance/placement).

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

I have finished all bosses on a warrior in zerker gear. What are you having trouble with? You could try asking people for advice rather than crying over your mistakes. It is possible, it is not based on luck, and it actually isn’t kittence the mechanics “click”

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

in Queen's Jubilee

Thryfe.2576

That’s true, even then though the mines don’t go anywhere, just walk around them lol. That’s why his post made me “what?”

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Meriem.3504

Meriem.3504

That first goomba in the first mario has killed more people then Liandra ever will!

in Queen's Jubilee

Thryfe.2576

That first goomba in the first mario has killed more people then Liandra ever will!

Lmfao indeed!

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Andele.1306

Andele.1306

*did finish all bosses and most achivements*
A few actual problems that come if combined with good hard content like this start being glaringly obvious:
Bad camera
BLINDING THE PLAYER IS BAD (and can cause headaches, burn eyes and in general maybe some siezures)
All achivements and encounters need to vary their scripts depending on the capabilites of the enemy (e.g. not acting the same vs a boon spammer like guardians, beefy monstertrucks like warriors, no dodge glaciers of control like necros or spam across the room everywhere stealth theif)
Chain cc, High hp and Instakills aint ok unless they are in a scripted enviorment that the player can control (e.g. ooze regen and random spawn locations would be really bad if it were stats buffed/with the handicaps)
Showing the actual aoe indicators (that shouldnt be half in the ground nor should they be the color of the ground) is very important, but visual or audio ques also help a lot.

When life gives you lemon, ask if its from a anime or manga.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

Honestly…..I never set off the mines when I fought him o_o

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: cainejw.7142

cainejw.7142

No, but I definitely remember when I was younger and things appeared harder therefore making me believe gaming had some golden age of difficulty that doesn’t exist now. I also really remember being able to then rose tint my experience in the past somehow superior to degrade anyone who doesn’t share my opinion.

Ahh, yes, memories.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

This is clearly a troll thread.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

I stopped at the tornado lady. I’m not logging back in until the next content update. This one is extremely lame.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Psychol.5783

Psychol.5783

Dark Souls = From Software, they knew what they were doing, every enemy have it’s weakness and you can defeat bosses even naked. Peoples were doing speedruns of these games.
Guild Wars 2 = Anet just put things mindlessly, they think that they’ll make boss with million hp and it’ll be challenging, it’s not challenging, it’s frustrating and stupid.
Get use to “challenges” like these, I’ve read one of the designer comments and they think they are design mastermids.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Leablo.2651

Leablo.2651

So… is this harder than Doc Howler?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Thomassassinate.9370

Thomassassinate.9370

Dark souls: Okay guys we will call it the taurus demon, it can kill you easily if you’re not careful when it swings its axe you have a few seconds to strike, or climb the ladder and fall and strike.

Guild wars 2: Okay guys we need this boss to be a good long fight, give it 10 million hp, and require you to just stand for 15 minutes fighting.

“But wait isnt that all of our bosses”

Guild wars 2: Oh yes…okay lets have a boss with your character far too zoomed in, mobs 1 shot you an orb knocks you to it, the boss constantly damages you, while 1 shot lightning zaps down, basically nothing but 1 shots, haha forget armor you worked for…but wait here’s the best part, even if you dodge it sometimes it’ll still kill you bwahaha!

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Halekto.6247

Halekto.6247

I’m glad that ANet at least attempted to make a fight “difficult.” I made it to the Liandri fight mostly by luck because I’m colorblind. The last fight is completely an anti-colorblind fight. What were they thinking having damage circles blend in with the floor that’s over zerg after zerg slowing down your frame rate? Stupidest fight in the game hands down.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

The above 2 posts sum up the Concealing Dark fight. I eventually checked the rewards for that meta-achievement and gave up. Not worth it.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Dagraan.2854

Dagraan.2854

liadri isn’t hard shes just poorly designed. i don’t get why people think that poor design = hard.

if you want hard go solo the champ baron in orr guarding that skill point or the eye(s) of zhaitan

in Queen's Jubilee

Meriem.3504

Dark Souls = From Software, they knew what they were doing, every enemy have it’s weakness and you can defeat bosses even naked. Peoples were doing speedruns of these games.
Guild Wars 2 = Anet just put things mindlessly, they think that they’ll make boss with million hp and it’ll be challenging, it’s not challenging, it’s frustrating and stupid.
Get use to “challenges” like these, I’ve read one of the designer comments and they think they are design mastermids.

They didn’t know what they were doing if you can kill it naked and at lvl 1 and you could 1 shot some of them if you stacked right. Great design bosses but still some major flaws in terms balance with skills and gear.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Andele.1306

Andele.1306

Get use to "challenges" like these, I’ve read one of the designer comments and they think they are design mastermids.

They didn’t know what they were doing if you can kill it naked and at lvl 1 and you could 1 shot some of them if you stacked right. Great design bosses but still some major flaws in terms balance with skills and gear.

*cough comparison of warriors in pvp and pve of this game, 90% of the bosses being easier to cheeze than story mode vets, zerker 0 cc pve "meta"* Im sorry but no mmo can ever be as good in terms of balance as a rpg that was made for fun (what says a lot about the design decisions soft coded into the formula).

When life gives you lemon, ask if its from a anime or manga.

in Queen's Jubilee

Meriem.3504

cough comparison of warriors in pvp and pve of this game, 90% of the bosses being easier to cheeze than story mode vets, zerker 0 cc pve “meta” Im sorry but no mmo can ever be as good in terms of balance as a rpg that was made for fun (what says a lot about the design decisions soft coded into the formula).

An MMO is different then a single player RPG because people are always competing on what class is better over whoms. With a single player, people tend to pick what they just enjoy more then whos the best. There was definitely class issues in that game with certains bosses. My friend play the complete opposite of what I played and some bosses were dumb easy for and others hard vice versa with them.

I am not defending the bosses in this game, just saying Dark Souls isn’t nearly as perfect as people claim it to be is all :P

The bosses in this game need a lot of work but I believe it is possible.

(edited by Meriem.3504)

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Dagraan.2854

Dagraan.2854

you wanna know what i remember? i remember when you killed a challenging boss or monsters for no reward other than the fact that you could do it.

i also remember when people knew what was a challenge and not poor design.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

Remember when games were hard, but you had unlimited time to master them and improve? Good times.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

(edited by Absconditus.6804)

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Lucius.2140

Lucius.2140

you wanna know what i remember? i remember when you killed a challenging boss or monsters for no reward other than the fact that you could do it.

i also remember when people knew what was a challenge and not poor design.

Its a different kind of player than “normal” MMO people. Just think of it like players of games like Devil May Cry in the last difficulty (Hell and Hell), you dont get something special a side for the emotional reward; but in a game like diablo 2, you get principally loot.

The problem is that some people have points that arent objectives and convert anything that goes against what they believe or is their form of playing/thinking/etc. in this cant be, this is a hige mistake, etc; ignoring it has a different audience or principle in mind.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

This isn’t hard.

Go do a Dark Souls play through with no shield and no magic.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

This isn’t hard.

Go do a Dark Souls play through with no shield and no magic.

. . . really?

Naked Dual Nargacuga G3 rank. With Ham of Hams.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Katran.9186

Katran.9186

+1. Liadri is first thing that reminds me of some GW1 missions because of its difficulty.
Who can’t beat even previous bosses – eh, well, target audience of GW2, huh?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

From watching Liadri fights, it looks like the fight dealing with Mai Leng from the Aetherblade Dungeon in the amount of multitasking going on, save for less aggravation in the form of 1 minute cannonfire (couldn’t resist~). Me likey that.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Psychol.5783

Psychol.5783

I’m not talking about Liadri because I didn’t made it so far because Pirates require zerg gear (not enought time in different gears). I’m talking about kittentonload of bugs, Trials Candidate impossible to do on gold at T3, other professions are much less efficient here.
C’mon! this kitten is a mini-game, not an uber mission about rescuing world it should be possible for a good players with a decent gear not for zergs from top 100.

(edited by Psychol.5783)

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: WyldKat.4712

WyldKat.4712

BLINDING THE PLAYER IS BAD (and can cause headaches, burn eyes and in general maybe some siezures)
Showing the actual aoe indicators (that shouldnt be half in the ground nor should they be the color of the ground) is very important, but visual or audio ques also help a lot.

These two annoy me a great deal. I’m somewhat miffed at the ticket farming, but the gold and flush fodder are great.

Haven’t quite gotten the last fight down, but I feel I’m progressing. Trying to shake this feeling that lately the content has turned into busy work. I had more fun in WvW than achievement chasing.

Zestee, Cryptician Zetti, Zissi The Jack, Zi Mao,
Ziffy Snidehide, Zadie Hawkkin, Zannie Oakley, Zuulja
[ODIN],[NaCl] – Tarnished Coast

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: bpphantom.8243

bpphantom.8243

I remember when games were hard, yeah. I also remember when they just had a nice challenge level.

GW2 is generally easy except that people are still struggling with nobody having a role/job/what-have-you other than “DPS&D*”

*DPS & Dodge

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. Then leave the rest to Batman.”

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Yeah. No room for errors , I like that.

What I dont understand though is – most of the game is designed to be easy – I’d say more than 90%.
And now when Arena Net adds 1 single place meant for hardcore crowd casuals go ape_t, crying all day and night.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

I’m not talking about Liadri because I didn’t made it so far because Pirates require zerg gear (not enought time in different gears). I’m talking about kittentonload of bugs, Trials Candidate impossible to do on gold at T3, other professions are much less efficient here.
C’mon! this kitten is a mini-game, not an uber mission about rescuing world it should be possible for a good players with a decent gear not for zergs from top 100.

The pirates don’t require “zerg” gear at all. I made it with a set of balanced gear on my Thief. Also, it’s just an optional mini-game, it’s not like it’s required for anything.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

Trying to shake this feeling that lately the content has turned into busy work. I had more fun in WvW than achievement chasing.

My exact problem with these latest Living Story updates as well. Ever since they announced bi-weekly updates, I was certain it would make the game feel “way too busy, way too much”. I already enjoyed plenty of the content that’s on offer, especially World vs. World, and now they’re spitting out content update after update at a rapid pace.

With me wanting to achieve the achievements in the game, for these limited time temporary content releases, I feel very stressed and pressured for time, so I feel like I need to spend all my time doing that content until I achieve what I wish to achieve. This sucks the fun out of it for me, and I am getting burnt out, frustrated and angry because of it.

I do appreciate that ArenaNet wish to give us players new things to do at a very frequent rate. I very much appreciate that. But with the time limited nature of these things, it just isn’t fun anymore. Just as I feared when they announced them to become bi-weekly events.

Also, it’s just an optional mini-game, it’s not like it’s required for anything.

Playing Guild Wars 2 isn’t required for anything either, but we do that because we wish to be entertained and have fun, right? Everything in the game is optional. You don’t need to gear up, you don’t even need to level up, it’s optional if you just wish to stay in a city and talk to people or play the Trading Post simulator. You may not care about the achievements as a collection, but please, try see it from the eyes of someone who does. I see the achievements as my personal collection, it’s something I like to do in the game. It’s not like you or anyone but me will be able to see (at least for the time being) what achievements I have, besides a bare few that grants visible rewards, e.g., a title we can put on, or a miniature we can summon. Yes, it’s optional, it’s not forced, but is also severely frustrating to feel so pressured for time due to the fact that it is implemented as temporary content that goes away, combined with certain achievements being very hard to accomplish. Queens Gauntlet has been stated to be something that will re-appear in the future, but will the same achievements be there? Potentially not, as that has not been clarified. If they do re-appear with the same achievements, I’m already less stressed, if not, the pressure’s still on.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

(edited by Absconditus.6804)

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

I got three words for you…

Battletoads racing levels…

I swear, completing one of those levels in an original NES (without save states of emulators) must be used somewhere as a manhood initiation ceremony

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

(edited by locoman.1974)

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I swear, completing one of those levels in an original NES (without save states of emulators) must be used somewhere as a manhood initiation ceremony

. . . thank you, I was trying to keep repressing Turbo Tunnel from my memory. Now I got to go back to therapy. Are you happy now?

:)

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

i do. because i still play them from time to time. they haven’t gone away, you just stopped looking hard enough.

anyway, the liadri fight was pretty cool, but having to farm tokens and either rely on people to rez you back or take a long walk back to the gauntlet was pretty stupid. couldn’t you guys have put a ticket seller and a waypoint on the gauntlet level?

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

Also, it’s just an optional mini-game, it’s not like it’s required for anything.

Playing Guild Wars 2 isn’t required for anything either, but we do that because we wish to be entertained and have fun, right? Everything in the game is optional. You don’t need to gear up, you don’t even need to level up, it’s optional if you just wish to stay in a city and talk to people or play the Trading Post simulator. You may not care about the achievements as a collection, but please, try see it from the eyes of someone who does. I see the achievements as my personal collection, it’s something I like to do in the game. It’s not like you or anyone but me will be able to see (at least for the time being) what achievements I have, besides a bare few that grants visible rewards, e.g., a title we can put on, or a miniature we can summon. Yes, it’s optional, it’s not forced, but is also severely frustrating to feel so pressured for time due to the fact that it is implemented as temporary content that goes away, combined with certain achievements being very hard to accomplish. Queens Gauntlet has been stated to be something that will re-appear in the future, but will the same achievements be there? Potentially not, as that has not been clarified. If they do re-appear with the same achievements, I’m already less stressed, if not, the pressure’s still on.

By optional I mean anything that doesn’t advance your character, like getting stronger, seeing new story content etc.
If you’re the achievement hunter you claim to be, then be prepared to work for your achievements. I mean, that’s why they’re called achievements, right?

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

. . . thank you, I was trying to keep repressing Turbo Tunnel from my memory. Now I got to go back to therapy. Are you happy now?

:)

I’ll leave this here (you can thank me later)..

http://www.funnyordie.com/lists/bc67dca176/the-6-most-difficult-parts-of-the-battletoads-video-game

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Legendary Grenth.3561

Legendary Grenth.3561

The New participation award generation sucks. thank you so much for Ladri and pleas stand your ground on this despite the wishes on nerfs.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Fungalfoot.7213

Fungalfoot.7213

Please point me to all the one hit encounters in Dark Souls. You won’t find any except for the Bed of Chaos which is universally agreed upon to be the worst boss in the entire game. Even petrify required stacks before it took effect.

Dark Souls unlike Guild Wars 2 promoted build variety and that’s what made it such a superb game above all else. You really could play it the way you wanted. In Guild Wars 2 it’s go zerker or go home.

I don’t understand this obsession with promoting bad design which is all the Liadri fight really represents. Is it difficult? Sure, it is. But it’s difficult for all the wrong reasons.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

I’d say it’s not that much skill, there is certainly a luck factor. Banging away at something until you get all the pieces to fall in place, is luck. If it was skill our performances would be easily repeatable. Though it is not that repeatable.

There are many champions that cannot be solo’d already in game.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Luck? Nice excuse for failing.
There’s no luck involved in the final battle, unless you’re a bad player and you keep dodging randomly to all directions and spamming your keyboard and somehow manage to win.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Luck is involved, when you can beat her with failed tactics. Otherwise, only skilled players will walk away with the mini.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

I’d say it’s not that much skill, there is certainly a luck factor. Banging away at something until you get all the pieces to fall in place, is luck. If it was skill our performances would be easily repeatable. Though it is not that repeatable.

There are many champions that cannot be solo’d already in game.

a challenging task can be achieved with skill, but not necessarily repeated.

that’s pretty much what half of the olympic sports are about, especially the precision ones (target shooting, archery, etc). just because you can land a bullseye from 100ft away with enough practice doesn’t mean you can land it every single time.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell