Why don't you just erase pets from this game.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Kasei.8726

Kasei.8726

Imagine if the weapons or mechanics of other classes could die and be unavailable like a dead pet.

Let me just say that you won’t be seeing any guardians using spirit weapons in these fights.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

From the encounter design it’s obvious with all the lethal one shot aoe fields that I’m going to have to do everything on my ranger with the pet dead most of the time.

It’s not amusing when your class mechanic is punished by the encounter design so consistently.

We should also delete boon spam, illusions, kits, stealth, Death Shroud (or w/e), banners and elements.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

From the encounter design it’s obvious with all the lethal one shot aoe fields that I’m going to have to do everything on my ranger with the pet dead most of the time.

It’s not amusing when your class mechanic is punished by the encounter design so consistently.

We should also delete boon spam, illusions, kits, stealth, Death Shroud (or w/e), banners and elements.

Neither are broken to the degree of the pet mechanic. Fail at being cute.

The only comparable mechanic failure in pve is mesmer illusions and at least they can get one spike hit from the phantasm and then shatter them for a benefit so it isn’t entirely broken like the ranger.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

The only comparable mechanic failure in pve is mesmer illusions and at least they can get one spike hit from the phantasm and then shatter them for a benefit so it isn’t entirely broken like the ranger.

Isn’t that the entire point of the phantasms to begin with? Spawn in, hit the target and die? All the mesmers i’ve talked to (even phantasm mesmers) have all said they have no problem getting any shatters or phantasms off on Liadri because the illusions don’t need to survive the AoE, they just have to be spawned and blown up between blasts…

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Lévis.5489

Lévis.5489

It is funny to see how rangers are the only profession that get handicapped by their profession mechanic.

Pet dies in AOE? Enjoy doing about 60% of dps for 60 seconds.
You want to use a tanky pet? Enjoy being the center of all laughs laughing at your cute cuddly bear or no damage pig.
You used F3 so that the pet stays next to you? Enjoy doing 60% of your dps.
You put 30 points into beastmastery, despite the fact pet damage got nerfed to hell and back? Enjoy your tankier pet that still die at boss battles and big WvW battles.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Isn’t that the entire point of the phantasms to begin with? Spawn in, hit the target and die? All the mesmers i’ve talked to (even phantasm mesmers) have all said they have no problem getting any shatters or phantasms off on Liadri because the illusions don’t need to survive the AoE, they just have to be spawned and blown up between blasts…

Yup, which is why instead of killing her on my ranger, a painful effort, I went and killed her with my phantasm greatsword mesmer and my guardian, as both are much better suited.

I didn’t even bother trying on my warrior, we all know what a broken class it is in pve.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

i wont even try it as my ranger, the pet just sucks away all my damage when its dead. i mean honestly why the hell isnt the pet like it was in gw1. it worked didnt it?

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

I’m highly regretting playing mainly in PvP and thus having only my ranger as 80 in PvE =(, btw, am i the only one who wants to smack the idiot designer who came up with the “Rangers are balanced around 100% pet uptime.” but didn’t give us realistic 100% pet uptime?

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

I would kill for a perma-stow option that grants a dps boosting boon. Having the pet out at times wouldn’t be useless, because it would boost our survivability through aggro mitigation. But in encounters like this…we need such an option.

NSPride <3

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: SaulWolfden.6178

SaulWolfden.6178

I would kill for a perma-stow option that grants a dps boosting boon. Having the pet out at times wouldn’t be useless, because it would boost our survivability through aggro mitigation. But in encounters like this…we need such an option.

They should have them work as the “Companions” or whatever they were called were going to work. You get an extra person and some damage with them out, but if you choose not to use the companion, you are buffed to compensate for the lack of a second character.

“Fear is only what you feel”

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: awesomesauce.5980

awesomesauce.5980

i wont even try it as my ranger, the pet just sucks away all my damage when its dead. i mean honestly why the hell isnt the pet like it was in gw1. it worked didnt it?

It wasn’t much different in GW1 (although later in the game’s life they gave it some passive damage reduction). Pets were as unplayable there as they are in GW2. The biggest difference was that Dunkoro could spam Protective Spirit, Shield of Absorption and Word of Healing on the pet to prevent it from being anihilated. Pet res was also much better in GW1. I think it had a 10 second cooldown. Maybe it’s time they make a PvE only change to pet res in GW2 (still wouldn’t solve all the problems).

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

I think Dante was referring to the pet being a “choice” in GW1. You had to build for pet use to make it a viable option (but you are correct that until later in GW1 life, it really wasn’t).

No doubt the issue here is that the Ranger class is defined by having a pet as a secondary weapon (CAN be speced for a primary one), but that weapon can be removed from play by specific content mechanics. I’ve never seen where ANet even acknowledges this as an issue (tho, I’ve not actively searched for it…Ranger isn’t one of my favorite classes), so I’m not sure whether any kind of “fix” is even being looked at.

I get the OPs frustration, but the sarcasm and extreme exaggeration being presented by the thread’s title is not likely to garner Dev support for this cause.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Burnfall.9573

Burnfall.9573

If Arene net were ever to Improve Rangers pets, it would make them OP- it would make our pets “warrior-like”

As always,

Whenver they mention Ranger class+pets, they bring up Warrior class.
(even warrior have “pets” Elite)

Seriously

Sometimes I wonder, that no one at Arena net team knows nothing about how a Ranger pet functions

Well except for Robert H. who was teamleader in Guild wars 1 Ranger class+pets design and function.

Since

Robert H. been M.I.A far too long….

No-Wonder………

(I’ll leave it at that)

Advocate of Justice, Liberty and Truth

in Queen's Jubilee

awesomesauce.5980

I think Dante was referring to the pet being a “choice” in GW1. You had to build for pet use to make it a viable option (but you are correct that until later in GW1 life, it really wasn’t).

No doubt the issue here is that the Ranger class is defined by having a pet as a secondary weapon (CAN be speced for a primary one), but that weapon can be removed from play by specific content mechanics. I’ve never seen where ANet even acknowledges this as an issue (tho, I’ve not actively searched for it…Ranger isn’t one of my favorite classes), so I’m not sure whether any kind of “fix” is even being looked at.

I get the OPs frustration, but the sarcasm and extreme exaggeration being presented by the thread’s title is not likely to garner Dev support for this cause.

The pet was only useful for a couple of gimmick builds which used them as meat shields and minion factories (necromancers used their corpses to build up their minion armies, something ArenaNet nerfed for god knows what reason). GW1 was all about AoE damage, pets didn’t have that. On top of this, pets took a lot of resources to build for them, which really hurt the rangers build.

Originally I thought a mandatory pet would force ArenaNet to make it work, I was wrong. Making the pet optional would officially kill any chance of the pet becoming a good mechanic in the game.

If Arene net were ever to Improve Rangers pets, it would make them OP- it would make our pets “warrior-like”

As always,

Whenver they mention Ranger class+pets, they bring up Warrior class.
(even warrior have “pets” Elite)

Seriously

Sometimes I wonder, that no one at Arena net team knows nothing about how a Ranger pet functions

Well except for Robert H. who was teamleader in Guild wars 1 Ranger class+pets design and function.

Since

Robert H. been M.I.A far too long….

No-Wonder………

(I’ll leave it at that)

Actually he’s on the Living Story team now. I think he had a role to play in the design of the Gauntlet, which is why hoping for him to be a becon of hope to rangers is a mistake. He actually designs content which makes pets useless despite being a ranger that runs in dungeons. The redesign of AC and the changes to the Spider Queen are another example of this. Prior to her redesign, the pet was able to live through the entire fight without too much trouble. After the redesign the boss AoE kills pets almost instantly. If she uses it underneath her, good luck doing anything with a melee pet. If she uses it on a ranged watch, either command it to move (and hope it responds in time, it likely won’t) or watch the ranged pet stand in the AoE and die.

(edited by awesomesauce.5980)

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Miflett.3472

Miflett.3472

I renamed my pets to Dead Pet Walking and Bearly Living some time ago. The problem is that with no matter of skilled play, pets become 100% useless in many, many situations.

Leader of Grim Omen [GO]

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

thats exactly what i was referring to. in guild wars 1 the ranger could optionally build to make the ranger a viable companion, if the player didnt want the pet they could build to something else.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

in Queen's Jubilee

awesomesauce.5980

Even when they are alive they are rarely an interesting mechanic. It’s just a less efficient way to do the same things other classes can do. Living pets don’t really let the ranger do anything special. In PvE it can be nice to have a pet doing things while the ranger focuses on something else (or positions themselves elsewhere) but in PvE it often won’t matter. A lot of the CC is negated by defiant and most of the time the pet’s position is more delicate than the ranger’s, resulting in death. Pets don’t really offer much unique in terms of gameplay.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

I don’t think they should remove pets. But I do think they should move more towards utility, such as Red Moa applying Fury to the team, or Fern Hound being able to knockdown foes, and apply regeneration.

Give Ranger the damage, give pets the utility.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Miflett.3472

Miflett.3472

I personally think that the fundamental design is flawed. Pets work in traditional keybind heavy games because it assumes a player with a higher skill cap that can afford to micromanage successfully. This in turn rewards players with a responsive pet worthy of tagging along. I’ve previously been a Squig Herder in warhammer online for around three years and it is still one of my favorite pet classes of all time; it’s because for that game, pets just worked.

Adding pets in a reactive based action combat mmo like GW2 is bad from the start. Pets intrinsically can’t have the amount of AI required by content to avoid these unfortunate situations. Adding more control is also a hard thing to do because of action mmos wanting a relatively low skill cap to start with.

I think ArenaNet is realizing this all too late or too slowly, and are just in a bad spot when it comes to finding a solution that doesn’t either remove something from the game, or change the core focus around completely.

Honestly, I don’t know what the answer is.

Leader of Grim Omen [GO]

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

I’m not sure they are realizing it too late….I think they have known since inception that the Ranger class was going to be odd class out in many end-game content settings because of the pet mechanic, but were simply unwilling to let it go for he sake of the overall concept of the class. While a pet-less Ranger can “cope” with and even in some way contribute to a party, they will never be the “optimal” choice when it comes to selecting a viable team. To be honest, this kind of plays into the lone wolf, explorer stereo-type of the class itself and maybe that’s what ANet is clinging to.

I recall having this discussion (pet-less Ranger) on many forums a least a year before GW2 released (as soon as it was acknowledged that the pet mechanic was not “optional” for GW2 Rangers).

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Lue.6538

Lue.6538

My 3 pets are constantly being oneshot and has been for as long as I can remember.