Ancient Karka? The First Good Boss Battle?

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Krion.5986

Krion.5986

Hey all!

I just went through the Ancient Karka battle and I have to admit that it is truly the first good Boss Encounter in GW2. It had decent loot and it was fun. ArenaNet, if you are reading this you should know that people really like boss battles like Mad King and Karka and that if you increase rewards (and not just add pebbles) people will really enjoy the endgame more. What my suggestion is that you fix the loot on the Dragon Bosses and then people will once again be pleased. The reason is simple- the Dragons are fun overall as a fights (except for some of the lagg and rendering which we are sure that with time you will fix) ,but if you add more loot and rewards there would be more incentive for players to repeat the content.

Best Regards,
Krion from KrionStudio

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Trulu.6194

Trulu.6194

I got so much lag that I could not do this event

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: kKagari.6804

kKagari.6804

Hey all!

I just went through the Ancient Karka battle and I have to admit that it is truly the first good Boss Encounter in GW2. It had decent loot and it was fun. ArenaNet, if you are reading this you should know that people really like boss battles like Mad King and Karka and that if you increase rewards (and not just add pebbles) people will really enjoy the endgame more. What my suggestion is that you fix the loot on the Dragon Bosses and then people will once again be pleased. The reason is simple- the Dragons are fun overall as a fights (except for some of the lagg and rendering which we are sure that with time you will fix) ,but if you add more loot and rewards there would be more incentive for players to repeat the content.

Best Regards,
Krion from KrionStudio

The first good boss battle was Prototype X in the Asura starting area.

“We just don’t want players to grind in GW2” – C. Johanson
“it doesn’t make you spend hours preparing to have fun, rather than having fun”
Guild missions say otherwise.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Hey all!

Best Regards,
Krion from KrionStudio

What’s wrong with other bosses? For instance, Giganticus Lupicus fight is pretty solid and engaging.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Josher.9612

Josher.9612

I also thought the initial boss battles in the starter area were the most interesting. That’s kind of sad. Not hard but cool looking.

in The Lost Shores

Krion.5986

Sorry, if I caused any confusion. The starting zone battles and all were good but there isn’t much replay to them. This is the first(second if you count Mad King) endgame battle that gives good drop and is fun. Also for the amount of people that were there, which was a lot, it didn’t lag even nearly as much as the dragon bosses.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Sorry, if I caused any confusion. The starting zone battles and all were good but there isn’t much replay to them. This is the first(second if you count Mad King) endgame battle that gives good drop and is fun. Also for the amount of people that were there, which was a lot, it didn’t lag even nearly as much as the dragon bosses.

Fightning kholer with a group of people being there for the first time might be fun . Seeing them being pulled in and then just devastated is so freaking funny.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: psy.5437

psy.5437

I was fighting lag the entire time, then got d/c and got rewarded with nothing. Is that the Ancient Karka fight you are refering to?

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: IonicBlaze.7948

IonicBlaze.7948

I was was bored to hell….

The spirit of Guild Wars died on Nov. 13 2012. R.I.P.

in The Lost Shores

Krion.5986

So is this one time or can we go back to it?

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

Start putting T6 mats in chests and I’ll farm dragons every chance I get, or dungeons, either way we need more T6.

Karka was fun, minus the culling and overtuned mobs.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Harbard.5738

Harbard.5738

Yeah the dragons are pretty much breaindead and pushovers, but I really liked the event fight. I’m pretty sure you’re liking it a lot better because of the shinnies, but whatever. The fight was really good, despite of the lag and the other issues. In fact i think the whole new content is brilliant. Emphasis to CONTENT.

Give me game. Not grind, not gating, not RNG, not +stat junk, not checklists.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Ardrea.7045

Ardrea.7045

I thought it was one of the worst boss fights I’ve been in. Repetitive, pointless, laggy and over-culled. Also, a lot of people got disconnected during the fights or near the end and once were back in got no rewards at all.

I’m glad this is a once only event.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Vakirauta.6397

Vakirauta.6397

Please edit the title.. it gets on my nerves to see the topic on top. Yes, I’m one of those people who couldn’t get the loot after 3 hours of.. an epic battle -in Anet’s words.

The Iron Butterfly

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: TommyProvolone.3715

TommyProvolone.3715

I only like boss battles if I get orange pants in the end, so this boss was a complete waste of my hard-earned time.

in The Lost Shores

Krion.5986

Just changed title. Better?

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

The reward was cool, but the event itself was just a zerg slugfest. Tedious, boring, long (too long) and bugged. Whatever good points it might have had has been completely overshadowed by it (and by rewards, of course, but that is a different discussion).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

in The Lost Shores

Krion.5986

Some people got legendaries, rares and skins.

in The Lost Shores

Vakirauta.6397

Some people got legendaries, rares and skins.

And some people couldnt get kitten because they got dc minutes before the boss was killed.

The Iron Butterfly

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Fiennes.9568

Fiennes.9568

Nobody got legendaries, don’t be silly.

It was a fun, extended event. And I can understand there being some frustrations for some, but for the majority it was excellent.

More please, ArenaNet.

in The Lost Shores

Vakirauta.6397

It was a fun, extended event. And I can understand there being some frustrations for some, but for the majority it was excellent.

More please, ArenaNet.

So it’s excellent when the majority is being pleased. Alright.

The Iron Butterfly

in The Lost Shores

Krion.5986

More please, ArenaNet.

Sarcasm?

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: sean.6058

sean.6058

I thought it was really fun, but the reinforcement waves were too long.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

The event seemed pretty bad to me.

I can’t count the times when suddenly 90% of the zerg was dead, only to have massive culled enemies appear out of nowhere on top of everyone. The whole thing was like one long, drawn out root canal. I have a hard time believing the “majority” was pleased considering all the complaining i saw in the map chat and on these boards.

in The Lost Shores

Vakirauta.6397

More please, ArenaNet.

Sarcasm?

Check the game bugs section.

The Iron Butterfly

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Slein.9573

Slein.9573

This event was ridiculously boring. I don’t care about rewards as many people seem to do. But come on, nobody plays a game just for the rewards right, that’s ridiculous :s

During the event I seriously had my hands off the keyboard about 70% of the time. Just waiting for enemies to die while my character was waving around his scepter. I got so bored I started trying to get on top of random pieces of environment to pass the time. I’ve been dissapointed by nearly every boss in the game, but this one definitely takes the cake.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: TheGreatA.4192

TheGreatA.4192

I enjoyed seeing groups of 50+ people lying dead, especially the first wave of deaths which had me laughing for several minutes as the people there were in a state of confusion. Can’t always rely on the numbers.

Metsän Suojelija (guard)/Puun Halaaja (engi)/Pieni Musta Rotta (warrior)/Viher Rauha (necro)

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Jahva.1895

Jahva.1895

There was nothing good about this “boss” event. No strategy was necessary. No thinking. Just endless waves of the same boring creatures. It went on far too long, and it was horribly buggy.

It’s like ArenaNet had the pros design the Halloween event, and left this event for the summer interns.

If you praise ArenaNet for this dreck content, you’ll get what you deserve — more dreck.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: microdark.7013

microdark.7013

The event was a lot of fun. People would laugh when they got killed in mass, they get raised and the chain events were nice and easy to understand. It seem that the game has a mob draw problem due to the quantity of players in the area, aside from that, it was a good time spent.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Rovus.5428

Rovus.5428

This was not a good battle. I’m always a fan of hard fights, sure. Seeing almost our entire zerg wipe as 3 vets landed on us was quite hilarious and i wouldn’t mind seeing something to the likehood in the future.

But then it happened again. And again. And again. And again. Even when you thought the encounter was over, 3 more vets and champs spawn at the excact same location that you killed them. It was drawn out

It was an interesting concept. However, not interesting enough to last 3 hours.

“Subtus pennas meas, pinnas meas interitum”

Alatum Interitum

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Magiofdeath.2745

Magiofdeath.2745

Aside from the lag, this fight was much better than Zhaitan. Lol. The reinforcement parts were super boring though.

Fort Aspenwood | Kurzick ftw!

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Diviner.7405

Diviner.7405

At first the event was truly fun. Seeing enemies that could wipe out whole zergs was actually a good change of pace, and I enjoyed it. Finally, something challenging.

But the length….. too long to say the least. You literally spend ten minutes fighting one enemy that has roughly 1 billion HP. This is not fun, it just mindnumbing. The fact that you had to kill like 50 of the same enemy also did not help this fact.

When leading the Ancient Karka to the nest, the Reinforcement parts were way too long. The first reinforcement took about 45min to 1hour to do and then second reinforcement part took another 30min at least. It just unrealistic to have a Young Karken that has more HP than Zhaitan and it takes 10min to kill, and you have to kill 50 of them.

The other parts of the event were interesting and a change of pace to the mindnumbing auto attack parts. The rock/geyser part, the tree knocking down part, and the acid steam vents were great and fun concepts.

In the future: Have enemies that can deal massive amounts of damage, but do not make them take 10minutes to kill. Find a balance between challenging and being tedious. You can have a long 3 hour event. Just have a lot of different elements within the event to keep players interested and engaged.

P.S. I really thought this event would reveal Deep Sea Dragon or at least 1 of his lieutenants. Maybe, an epic battle with the elder dragon, but he narrowly escapes or something would have been epic. Karka were not very interesting nor did they feel like a true “threat.” Just mindless monsters that overpopulated.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Voonith.2561

Voonith.2561

Loved it all except for the second reinforcement. I believe it could have used something special to differentiate it more from the first reinforcement. And the loot was terrible, to be honest (this coming from a person who is generally not a nag about loot).

I also wish these cool skins and event items had slightly more common ways to obtain them. That’s my favorite aspect of special events, and it seems the only chance I have is if I dump a lot of cash into the gem store since I seem to have the worst luck at these random drop event things (and I play a lot!).

But yes, the event itself was great. My favorite parts were definitely the innovative ways of utilizing the environment to progress.

All’s fair in love and Wuv.
[ART] Gate of Madness

(edited by Voonith.2561)

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Deepsky.6083

Deepsky.6083

I thought it was really fun, but the reinforcement waves were too long.

for me too,i would like more brain challenges,but with tons of people it’s difficult maybe,anyway great job Anet =)

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Ed of Death.4819

Ed of Death.4819

IMO this was far better than the Zhaitan fight. However I could have dealt with shorter times for the reinforcements. It was where everyone started complaining.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: TurtleofPower.5641

TurtleofPower.5641

Hahahaha… good?

No. Play Fractals of the Mist. There are several good fights in it.

People just like this event because of the massive loot at the end but actually doing it was utterly tedious and non-strategic.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: applekwisp.2139

applekwisp.2139

this was by far one of the most boring battles in the entire game. it was super laggy and long for absolutely no reason but to be long. one shot abilities everywhere, invisible enemy spawns, instapoison deaths, and worst of all this absolutely ridiculous loot distribution on the reward chest.

zhaitan was a terrible fight but at least you can complete it lag free in a 5 man instance rather than this boring lazy design

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Rpgtabbycat.5869

Rpgtabbycat.5869

A well fought battle that we all ended up victorious over the Ancient karka.

I had a lot of fun doing this event. I hope Anet plans to do more events like this in the future except perhaps not as one time only events. I feel sorry for all the players that had to miss out due to real life obligations.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Mastruq.2463

Mastruq.2463

While I did have fun during the event, I found several other outdoor “zerg” encounters fun too, the Shatterer for example. Whats fun is a matter of taste of course.

But I think the OP really means this is the first good loot pinata. Is that something the game should have? You decide! (I am in favor but anything repeatable should give much less per kill, more then current dragons though.)

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Edge.4180

Edge.4180

The first good boss battle was Prototype X in the Asura starting area.

You must be kidding. I feel that’s one of the worst fights in the game because you can literally blink and miss it. That boss dies way, way too easily/quickly (most of the tutorial bosses do, actually). And it’s a shame, because they have nifty starter mechanics that can make for an interesting mini-epic battle at that level, if only they didn’t fold over whenever someone blows at them.

I agree the final Karka battle had the makings of a cool fight (although unfortunately plagued by the many problems this game has with large scale events), but the pacing could have been better in some areas. I mostly appreciated the various stages taking us across a fair chunk of the island, which contributed to that epic battle feeling.

(edited by Edge.4180)

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: francisling.2987

francisling.2987

Bad Grind, Bad Story, Bad Bugs, Bad Traffic, Good Rare Loot 1, Good Rare Loot 2, Good Exotic Loot1, Good Exotic Loot2, Good Exotic Earring, Good 20 Slot Bag.

It’s all summed up for you.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Eladriel.7295

Eladriel.7295

I don’t share your sediment.. I didn’t find it fun at all.

Together we stand in the face of evil!

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Zyrhan.3180

Zyrhan.3180

It was interesting. I liked how there were several clear, distinct phases, most of which presented a pretty serious challenge, and didn’t amount to just beating up on a giant wall of hit points for three hours.

That said, it was too long, and got tedious. Especially since people playing from the start already had to clear out the giant cave full of invisible karka before the Ancient even spawned, and then had to go through TWO more long, painful slogs of killing dozens of karka in the middle of the event. One stage of defeating reinforcements with half the duration would have been more than enough in the context of the event.

That said, I would definitely like to see some world event bosses that range all over the map and have multiple distinct phases. If they’re spread out and not one-time events too, the issues of lag and culling should partly solve themselves, as well.

Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.
Mike Obrien, President of Arenanet

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: yellow stang.5618

yellow stang.5618

The massive group made it fun for me. Yes, some of the event was tedious, but with so many folks in the battle, there were a ton of hilarious comments. I couldn’t believe it was 2.5 hours when I looked at the clock because honestly, it didn’t feel nearly that long. Was it perfect? No, but what is? I’m really glad I was part of it. Definitely epic.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Grevender.9235

Grevender.9235

I had fun, it really looked like a desperate fight fight for survival on both sides.
The chest rewards were almost perfects: “almost”, because having killed Ancient Karka I expected at least a taste of Ascended gear

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Kurow.6973

Kurow.6973

I like the fractals far more than anything else from this update. They’re all unique, and I wish there were more fractals like the Colossus one. That specific one gave me the feeling of playing a single player RPG.

As per the Ancient Karka fight itself, it was meh. Took way too long, and I think the idea of precursors from the chest was a real kick in the balls for most people, especially those that didn’t even have a fair chance at it. IMO, they should have been left out of the chest entirely.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Desova.5821

Desova.5821

Am I the only one who had to quit the Ancient Karka battle a little over halfway through? The lag was so massive that I was being killed by invisible creatures and teleported from point to point on the map randomly…my FPS was at an all-time low of 10. I’d hit a command button only to actually perform the attack a minute and a half afterwards. It was just miserable. Even during the dragon events it’s nowhere near this bad.

tasija trickshot | [LZZ] les zélateurs de zaun | arborstone

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: BetterRun.7615

BetterRun.7615

I’ll be honest with you, i come from diablo 3 hardcore to this game 2 weeks ago. It is my first mmo experience. As a hardcore player i used to be in other games I don’t have much destination in rpg’s like the best loot or something like that. For me it’s the journey that counts. Playing guild wars now as being a MMO was a real eye opener for me. I can have a lot of fun with all kind of random people i meet during my journey. Despite framerate issues during this event I really liked the journey as being a massive people ‘come together’ part of the game.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: SilverWF.4789

SilverWF.4789

This boos fight wasn’t good - it was teh boring, annoying and lagly experience without any tactics, just "ololo"-zerging.
This is sad.

It’s double sad, coz I didnt recieved any rewards.

#SAVEDONBASS from Ukraine!
Seafarer’s Rest (EU): Liicher (Engi), Lii Cher (Warrior), Swf (Elem),
Licharr (Guard), Lich Eir (Ranger), Alt Fh (Thief). Lii Cherr (Mesm), S Wf (Necr)

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Zamdie.8120

Zamdie.8120

I enjoyed this event battle too, even with all the death (Lost count of the number of times I died), lag and being disconnected once.

The battle was well thought out and doable. At several points though I was sorely tempted to just give up and go to bed. Glad I stuck with it, mainly out of being curious as to what would happen at the end and what the rewards would be. Btw I did not get anything exceptional or really useful except an exotic short bow (Which I don’t use on my Thief, I use Knives/sword and pistols) and a piece of exotic armour that I transmuted for mats. All in all I think I came out of this about even after paying for repairs.