Big thanks to ArenaNet for this awesome event

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Warmice.4826

Warmice.4826

Yes, I actually said it. After reading all those threads telling ArenaNet how much they suck, the event sucks and how unfair it is, I had enough of it and had to make this thread.
I’ve seen no thread like this yet, a thread actually thanking ArenaNet for all the effort they put into this huge event.

I must say that I really appreciated all the hard work, I’m sure I cannot imagine how much work they have had to put in to creating NPC’s, the dialogs, the event-scripting, art-creation, etc, etc. And then I’m not even talking about the new puzzles and dungeons.

I really enjoyed the adventurous feel this event gave, I liked the new event’s, the new area and the new puzzle. I also very much enjoyed the event phases itself, even though sometimes laggy.
I’m sure ArenaNet has had the intentions to make this event as fluent, solid and enjoyful as possible, and it didn’t happen for all of us, but that doesn’t mean you can go all out on ArenaNet for it. Why?

Because they put all this hard work in for free, it was really ambitious and the idea is amazing and beyond anything we’ve seen so far in MMO’s. The idea was great, the event story-line and creatures were amazing, just like the new areas, and for a first time, I’ll take the inconvenience such as lagg-issues and timezone differences for desert.

I’m sure this is a great learning progress, and I really wan’t to thank ArenaNet for the awesome job they have delivered. I really do hope all the negative feedback from those who, for some reason, couldn’t appreciate this amazing (free!!) event did not turn you off to do such a thing again.

My compliments to ArenaNet, which they in my opinion deserve far more than all the other feedback they’ve gotten so far!

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

I had a blast, will definitely be taking on karka in the near future (this evening, actually), and absolutely love the new dungeon format… it’s brilliant. I know, the dungeon isn’t technically part of the event, but still.

#TeamJadeQuarry

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: AfroDuck.8641

AfroDuck.8641

I agree with the Above on this.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Dravyn.2689

Dravyn.2689

Couldn’t agree more. While I know it didn’t all go as smoothly as ArenaNet wanted, in the end it was a superb experience all around! Many thanks!

Dravyn
[SoR] Sanctum of Rall
[LoE] Legend of Elijah

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Vince.7291

Vince.7291

Yep i agree with the OP. I really enjoyed this event!

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Arisal.9740

Arisal.9740

I was able to get in for the 1 time events each of the 3 days and the only time I had issues was on Friday because of the lag. Friday night tried the fractals dungeon. Easily one of the best times I have had in game by far. So much fun even though we had 1 of our party dc on the 3rd fractal. That colossus fractal was just so amazing. Great concept and fight mechanics!

The Sunday event was amazing even though they could have done without the part where the ancient summons guys for like 30 minutes (2 times!). Would have cut the whole thing down from 2.5 hours to 1.5 which would have been perfect but none the less I had a great time and it was pretty lag free even with 50-100 people fighting. There was still the culling issue where players and mobs would go invisible outside of your location around you so that is annoying but still worked in the end.

Overall loved it for what it was. Thank you ArenaNet!

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Tanith.5264

Tanith.5264

I enjoyed what I was able to…but this was on account of my work schedule this past weekend, and not Anet’s fault.

I believe it was a test of sorts, and my hope is that they were able to learn quite a bit about how to arrange events like this in the future. I know a great deal of it involves coding and stuff that’s wayyyyy above my graying head, so here is hoping they’ll take ideas from LS and apply it to the next event.

Tanith Fencewalker, Tanni Mindbender, Thyra Wrathbringer, Lovecraft Thrall
Guardians of the Vault [GotV] and Guíld of Dívíne Soldíers [GoDS]
Gate of Madness server

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Kana.6793

Kana.6793

There were culling issues certainly, but people who could see yelled out on Mumble to warn everyone about acid sprays coming down on the frontlines, telling people to get off the right hand side because a karka was rolling in that direction etc.

Even so, people were laughing at the rolls squashing 30 people at a time (the squashed people were joking about it too), we had aoe heals and banner resses going off all the time and we mounted rescue operations to make sure none of the dead were left behind the zerg.

The scaling on the reinforcement waves might have been a bit too high as they did take a bit to long to kill, but the rest was a lot of fun.

I DCed for most of the first event, I lagged too much to do much for the LA segment of the second event. The Ancient Karka event however was fine apart from the usual culling issues (as seen in WvW). This was on a full overflow as well, so something improved a lot by the final event.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Xericor.9103

Xericor.9103

Had a great time, loved the event.
Sure it could be better (lag fest at points), but for a start up game, things can only get better!

www.auroraglade.eu – Community Site for Aurora Glade!

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Louveepine.7630

Louveepine.7630

I am from Europe and I loved the events! Living activities and other festivities rich!

I love the work of Arena Net!

I hope to see soon other great news!

The island is very beautiful too, I really appreciate the charm of enddroit despite the large ugly beasts!

I hope to see Chains tip-mist also unveiled in an event too! Or the Tarnished Coast!

# Asura because I’m worth it!

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Cloud.7613

Cloud.7613

Someone got a precursor. I didn’t get to go because I have a life and I’m in Australia, thanks ANet <3

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Thundercleese.4210

Thundercleese.4210

I had a great time.

Favorite part was when we were setting the hive up the bomb on the top floor. Everybody got defeated due to the horrible amount of enemies.

So I respawn using my Thief stealth abilities run past all the crabs and lo and behold about 30+ guys are still lying around dead talking about if they should mass respawn and go up again.

Enter Garrett Ward, combat medic.

With the stealth shelter, and other stealth utility skills I was able to sneakily rez our group while avoiding aggro. It was, to me, a great moment.

[EG] – SoR

Garrett Ward – 80 Thief / Roland Ward – 80 Warrior / Tacitus Ward – 80 Necro

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Mastruq.2463

Mastruq.2463

Totally agree with this, I had a blast during the event (despite some lag issues) and want more of that in the future.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Kana.6793

Kana.6793

I am from Europe and I loved the events! Living activities and other festivities rich!

I love the work of Arena Net!

I hope to see soon other great news!

The island is very beautiful too, I really appreciate the charm of enddroit despite the large ugly beasts!

I hope to see Chains tip-mist also unveiled in an event too! Or the Tarnished Coast!

They said this:

“we view ourselves as introducing large amounts of content with supporting systems and features, akin to an expansion pack, building on Guild Wars 2 through a series of live releases.”

Source: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/news/A-message-from-our-Studio-Design-Director-Chris-Whiteside/first#post721451

So there should be a lot more content patches to come Hopefully with events! It’s nice to have something like the events to gather entire guilds together to do.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: AresOnasis.4703

AresOnasis.4703

I wasn’t able to attend the event at first, I was one of the overflow crowd. The entire weekend was great because of how it progressed, and how it opened up the island for the future.

This way of introducing a new zone is different, and many people simply won’t like it because it is different. These same types of people will only look at what they didn’t get and complain about some pseudo injustice. Hopefully ANet is paying enough attention to not listen to these people, or at the very least not take them seriously.

The only issue I had was that my CPU couldn’t process what was going on and I was getting 5 fps because of it (it’s an old CPU). But that’s not the game’s fault. It’s nobody’s fault, that’s just the way it is.

Your faith is your weakness.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Bad Nursie.2876

Bad Nursie.2876

Need more threads like this. I’ve gotten way more than my money’s worth out of this game already. I’m grateful that Anet is ambitious and creative enough to provide new and FREE content so soon after release. I wasn’t expecting it. Constructive criticism and feedback is one thing, but the whining that goes on astounds me. <3 Anet!

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

I agree, I liked a lot of the content. The way the event was managed and communicated was pretty bad, though – I had lots of lag, couldn’t complete event chains due to bugs, didn’t get rewards for events, etc. I think a lot of players were reacting to that more than to the actual content.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Bruno Sardine.2907

Bruno Sardine.2907

I thought the event was pretty neat… but I have to say some of those karka were super beefy which made the reinforcement phases some of the longest and most boring pieces of the event. But nothing like a whole bunch of vets/champions insta-spawning around the zerg and using there big moves right away to wipe 90% or more of the pack (I laughed).

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: NickChabby.8907

NickChabby.8907

I agree, I liked a lot of the content. The way the event was managed and communicated was pretty bad, though – I had lots of lag, couldn’t complete event chains due to bugs, didn’t get rewards for events, etc. I think a lot of players were reacting to that more than to the actual content.

This.

Anet seems bipolar sometime. They can do very awesome things like they can do the most illogical ones.

I had a blast with Halloween, even with the Mad King Clock Tower. But this update went against anything they sold the game for. Let’s hope Wintersday will be better.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: DoctorOverlord.8620

DoctorOverlord.8620

I liked Phases 1-2 of the event, things like the whales and the mysterious posters were very well done. I thought Phase 2 and 3 were all right as well. ArenaNet fixed the scavenger hunt bugs quickly enough and it made my character explore some new areas which is the point to scavenger hunts.

Phase 3, however, was a lag-filled and buggy disaster. Did anyone really experience smooth and non-laggy gameplay during it? I really hope that ArenaNet learns from the multitude of mistakes ranging from the basic design to overall implementation. It would be extremely depressing if they only listened to praise and did the same thing all over again.

Check my GW2 Comic Dynamic Events http://goo.gl/JyB3J (Short Google Link to Fan Content Forum here)

(edited by DoctorOverlord.8620)

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Grevender.9235

Grevender.9235

had fun, although I am not good at solving puzzles of any kind and couldn’t complete many parts. Not enough time to do everything, RL calls T.T
Globally, will remember it for loooong time

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Daemon.7682

Daemon.7682

Thank you once again Anet for putting together an awesome event.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Arisal.9740

Arisal.9740

I liked Phases 1-3 of the event, things like the whales and the mysterious posters were very well done. I thought Phase 2 and 3 were all right as well. ArenaNet fixed the scavenger hunt bugs quickly enough and it made my character explore some new areas which is the point to scavenger hunts.

Phase 4, however, was a lag-filled and buggy disaster. Did anyone really experience smooth and non-laggy gameplay during it? I really hope that ArenaNet learns from the multitude of mistakes ranging from the basic design to overall implementation. It would be extremely depressing if they only listened to praise and did the same thing all over again.

I am curious what you think was phase 4? Each of the 3 days had a one time event. The ONLY time I had lag was on day 1 event (Friday) in LA. During the last event I had zero on an overflow for 2.5 hours. Outside of the culling and the 2 30 minute spawn a gazillion guys events I had no issues.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Nitcheam.9407

Nitcheam.9407

I agree. I thoroughly enjoyed this event. It was 3 hours of complete team work and just kittenery. Also – I rocked those crabs with my mortars. The best part was that there was a point when we are planting the bombs .. that we will remember forever as the 2012 Res Parade. It really brought the community together – everyone worked, everyone laughed, everyone just enjoyed themselves – the 3rd phase got a little laggy at times, but nothing too bad.

Res Parade 2012
We will never forget.
Never.

(edited by Nitcheam.9407)

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Cina Reas.6938

Cina Reas.6938

Yes, I actually said it. After reading all those threads telling ArenaNet how much they suck, the event sucks and how unfair it is, I had enough of it and had to make this thread.
I’ve seen no thread like this yet, a thread actually thanking ArenaNet for all the effort they put into this huge event.

I must say that I really appreciated all the hard work, I’m sure I cannot imagine how much work they have had to put in to creating NPC’s, the dialogs, the event-scripting, art-creation, etc, etc. And then I’m not even talking about the new puzzles and dungeons.

I really enjoyed the adventurous feel this event gave, I liked the new event’s, the new area and the new puzzle. I also very much enjoyed the event phases itself, even though sometimes laggy.
I’m sure ArenaNet has had the intentions to make this event as fluent, solid and enjoyful as possible, and it didn’t happen for all of us, but that doesn’t mean you can go all out on ArenaNet for it. Why?

Because they put all this hard work in for free, it was really ambitious and the idea is amazing and beyond anything we’ve seen so far in MMO’s. The idea was great, the event story-line and creatures were amazing, just like the new areas, and for a first time, I’ll take the inconvenience such as lagg-issues and timezone differences for desert.

I’m sure this is a great learning progress, and I really wan’t to thank ArenaNet for the awesome job they have delivered. I really do hope all the negative feedback from those who, for some reason, couldn’t appreciate this amazing (free!!) event did not turn you off to do such a thing again.

My compliments to ArenaNet, which they in my opinion deserve far more than all the other feedback they’ve gotten so far!

I will never thank anyone who cheated me out of a fair reward.

Grind Wars 2; the game that ate my brain.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Lostperci.4713

Lostperci.4713

Laggy in first battle, few bugs on collection quests. But…awesome event!! Maybe not the best idea to have free trial, new dungeon and Lost Shores all on same weekend ;-)
Really, really enjoyed the event, all three stages and especially that last epic three hour battle!

Huge fun even if our lil group did get killed a lot!

Perci

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Nitcheam.9407

Nitcheam.9407

I agree. I thoroughly enjoyed this event. It was 3 hours of complete team work and just kittenery. Also – I rocked those crabs with my mortars. The best part was that there was a point when we are planting the bombs .. that we will remember forever as the 2012 Res Parade. It really brought the community together – everyone worked, everyone laughed, everyone just enjoyed themselves – the 3rd phase got a little laggy at times, but nothing too bad.

Res Parade 2012
We will never forget.
Never.

Kittenery? .. touche ANet, touche.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Tad.4109

Tad.4109

i also had a blast. the boss battle was totally epic and made up for any frustrations i might have felt.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Hudak.6809

Hudak.6809

Me and lot of people on Dragonbrand and Vabbi servers would of love to see this awesome event sadly it was bugged and never progressed from the demo stage. I even waited a good 10 hours to see if Anet would do anything. So far I haven’t even seen them mention they had bugs in this final event. In my eyes Anet dropped the ball on this one.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Polybiased.9604

Polybiased.9604

The finale event was great, my gf and I had a blast. We didn’t suffer from any major lag issues or problems though, so that might have influenced our experience compared to what it sounds like some other people were experiencing.

There were a few hiccups especially when everyone was manning the mortars and spell effects going crazy on one champion (i.e. concentrated fire) where it stuttered a little, but that was all.

The overall structure and scenario of the finale event was great though.

The difficulty seemed fairly well set for our instance group. Initially we just zerged and was kind of dull, but that quickly changed and it was neat to see the hive mind of the zerg suddenly adopt some decent tactics after a wipe early on…. suddenly everyone was “oh, we can’t just crowd and spam”

Thanks Anet. Can be improvements as many have suggested, but this was a great event overall. Especially the finale.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: DoctorOverlord.8620

DoctorOverlord.8620

I am curious what you think was phase 4? Each of the 3 days had a one time event. The ONLY time I had lag was on day 1 event (Friday) in LA. During the last event I had zero on an overflow for 2.5 hours. Outside of the culling and the 2 30 minute spawn a gazillion guys events I had no issues.

My mistake, I thought the final phase was #4, it was #3. I’ve fixed my post.

You really had no lag -at all- during the Ancient Karka battle? Also what do you mean exactly by culling and 2:30 minute spawn? Culling seems to be the term for players suddenly finding themselves dead by invisible mobs that were not rendering due to lag. That is not “zero lag”. (Btw – this issue could have been handled with better design – removing one-shot kills that have tells when you know there are going to be a huge mass of players that make the tell impossible to see).

It’s starting to be disturbing to see people claiming ‘zero’ or ‘little’ lag when this was the worst I have ever seen in any event or part of the game. I have a decent system and I might see minor lag issues once in a while but this was an order of magnitude worse. It does not serve ArenaNet to sugar-coat the problems with this event just to seem positive.

It’s like comments I see that say ‘I liked the event but it was boring.’ Boring means it was not fun so how can someone say they like something like that? I don’t want to see more boring content in GW2, I want to see content that is the same quality that I’ve experienced in the rest of the game before this event.

Praise the positive things (Fractals for example, which was very fun from what I’ve seen of it). But don’t minimize the negative either.

Check my GW2 Comic Dynamic Events http://goo.gl/JyB3J (Short Google Link to Fan Content Forum here)

(edited by DoctorOverlord.8620)

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Warmice.4826

Warmice.4826

My mistake, I thought the final phase was #4, it was #3. I’ve fixed my post.

You really had no lag -at all- during the Ancient Karka battle? Also what do you mean exactly by culling and 2:30 minute spawn? Culling seems to be the term for players suddenly finding themselves dead by invisible mobs that were not rendering due to lag. That is not “zero lag”. (Btw – this issue could have been handled with better design – removing one-shot kills that have tells when you know there are going to be a huge mass of players that make the tell impossible to see).

It’s starting to be disturbing to see people claiming ‘zero’ or ‘little’ lag when this was the worst I have ever seen in any event or part of the game. I have a decent system and I might see minor lag issues once in a while but this was an order of magnitude worse. It does not serve ArenaNet to sugar-coat the problems with this event just to seem positive.

It’s like comments I see that say ‘I liked the event but it was boring.’ Boring means it was not fun so how can someone say they like something like that? I don’t want to see more boring content in GW2, I want to see content that is the same quality that I’ve experienced in the rest of the game before this event.

Praise the positive things (Fractals for example, which was very fun from what I’ve seen of it). But don’t minimize the negative either.

Kind sir, this thread was not intended to continue the so called “hating” on ArenaNet, but do the opposite for a change.
Also, keep in mind the lagg could come from your hardware or internet connection as well.

I’ll mention it again, I’m sure ArenaNet will learn from their mistakes, and I hope those didn’t throw them off to host such an event again, as it’s unique, not other MMO has pulled something like this off whatsoever. Hence my dissapointment in the community giving almost only negative feedback..

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: NickChabby.8907

NickChabby.8907

The idea of the Lost Shore was good, but it should have lasted a week. With Halloween, we had plenty of time to enjoy every little part and the story developed more gradually. If there was a bug, it wasn’t catastrophic.

But Lost Shore was kinda thrown in our face with little to no time to adjust last minute bugs (like Noll and else). The map is beautiful (though very small) and Skipping stones is brilliant (And frustrating too lol), but it was a bad experience overall for me.

Next time, make the whole event last longer. I didn’t have fun through this week-end at all because of many reasons I exposed, but I know that Arenanet are worth more than this and can do awesome stuffs, Halloween as an example (and I’m sure the upcoming Wintersdays will be epic).

The Fractals, even though the rewards are very low so far, are the most awesome dungeons experience I ever had. Ascalonian Catacombs were tedious, but the fractals are actually great. Good job on this (and the visuals… Cliffside… Nothing less from Anet).

But yeah, learn from this Anet, adjust the reward issues of the moment, avoid epic loot for one time events and everybody (or almost) will be happy once again!…

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Pictish.3410

Pictish.3410

Anet clearly have an amazing design team, the only thing that let it down is the implementation and server limitations for the event.
The fractals now that is great, a seriously outstanding bit of work.
I am really looking forward to some Xmas chaos

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Biglab.1732

Biglab.1732

I also Agree sure i had to leave during the beginning event around the 3:00 Est time mark i had to go i really didn’t want to because i was having so much fun with my friend in this event i want to say thanks A-net i didn’t get dc’ed at all nor have lag problems for the final event. You guys did a great job the only reason i believe you are getting negative feed back is because those who QQ, QQ hard so they go to the forums to make you guys feel bad. Those who liked it don,t feel the need except for the few who do like the guy who created this topic which is great you guys need some positive feed back!!!

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: squirrelzilla.5809

squirrelzilla.5809

Just wanted to add my voice to the happy thread. I loved the event and love the Fractal Dungeons. I was also a big fan of the Halloween event. For such a new MMO the amount of content we’ve gotten in 2 months is impressive!

There were bugged NPC’s (at least on my server), but for me, the vast amount of things you could do with this update definitely made up for them.

Can’t wait to see what’s in store for Wintersday!

Luna Wildbark [FOOL] on Crystal Desert

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: jamry.1392

jamry.1392

Totally agree! This event was freakin’ awesome! Some people just cannot be satisfied, and you find those people on the forums. Thanks for making a positive post, so they get balanced feedback. Too often the forums are just for complaints becuase those of us enjoying the game are too busy playing it

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Peandragon.3921

Peandragon.3921

/agree

This has taken the server events to a new level. Great job A-Net!

Peandragon @ Tarnished Coast