Consortium Chests for gems = waste of money.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: neon.4863

neon.4863

Preface: This isn’t a whining topic.

Consortium Chests are seriously broken right now and seriously screwing over people paying gems for them. I wish I had looked into this before I dumped $20 on them.

1 chest = 250 gems
1 chest in bulk = 180 gems

Now, here’s why they’re broken:

I had 200 gems. I traded those in for 1g43s84c.

I then went to the TP and placed these orders:

3 orders for heavy shoulder skins (17s each, 51s total)
1 order for passion flower, 3s
1 order for passion fruit, 25c
1 order for karka shell, 90c

total: 55s15c

The orders were filled within ~2 minutes.

I then went to the Mystic Forge and dumped all those into it and voila, I had a chest, and 88s69c left.

250 gems would’ve amounted to around 1g80s, which means I could have made three chests for the price of one chest in the gem store.

If I’d spent my 1800 gems in currency exchange instead of chests, I could’ve bought mats to forge ~25 chests instead of 10 chests.

I know devs don’t control TP prices, so I’m not exactly blaming anyone – but as it is, paying customers are being ripped off by buying chests and would use their money better by exchanging gems for gold and forging chests instead. This situation may inadvertently have created an “exploit” for getting chests for fewer gems than originally intended.

Edit: By buying 2 more of whatever skin I got from chests, I managed to make 2 more chests and end up with 14s65c left over, plus 1 skin, 1 passion flower, 11 passion fruits and 41 karka shells (all of which I could sell back, if I wanted, for ~61s) – making it 3 chances for rares for under 100 gems; my 1800 gems could’ve gotten me 54 chances instead of 10. Live and learn, I guess.

(edited by neon.4863)

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Tijo.9857

Tijo.9857

Thanks for the heads up.
I won’t buy them because I don’t gamble when I don’t know the odds.
So I’ll farm / save for whatever I want to get.

in The Lost Shores

neon.4863

That seems like the smartest choice – even at the exchange rate I mentioned above it seems more profitable to just farm/save up and get things off the TP or try to get them as drops.

I mostly got chests because I had nothing else to spend the gems on, and I wouldn’t be feeling like it was wasted money if not for the fact I could’ve gotten up to 5 times the number of chests I actually got by using the TP instead of the gem store. I knew the odds were low and I figured I’d just get myself some event-related items with my gems, but I’d obviously have gone for the TP option to get more out of my gems if I’d figured this out sooner. I feel like I got more out of my 200 leftover gems (by doing this experiment and posting it here) than the 1800 I spent on 10 chests.

Safe to say I’ll probably be farming for money (and gems) for a while to make up for the waste here.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Bunnehboo.6025

Bunnehboo.6025

you mean do what ppl should have done during the halloween event?!?!? YOU DONT SAY

still will be ppl complaining how they spent xxx amount of gems and didn’t get what they wanted handed to them

~Caedas~

in The Lost Shores

neon.4863

you mean do what ppl should have done during the halloween event?!?!? YOU DONT SAY

still will be ppl complaining how they spent xxx amount of gems and didn’t get what they wanted handed to them

The point of this topic is to warn that using the forge and the TP gets you more chests than using gems does, all you need to do is spend your gems in currency exchange instead. Farming and buying straight up are still options that are more likely to be profitable, but if people want to gamble, they are getting ripped off by buying chests instead of forging them, is my point.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Technically, if no one bought any chests from the Gem Store there wouldn’t be any shoulderpads to use in order to make them in the Mystic Forge. At least not until the new zone pops up, since I think I remember reading that the items will have a chance of dropping as well (unless they were talking about different items, which could be the case).

Though not everyone visits the forum so there’s no chance that everyone will stop, so its not a real worry, just pointing it out.

in The Lost Shores

neon.4863

It’s true, yes – and technically more people becoming aware of this is a good thing for people who paid gems for chests, because it would mean fewer people would buy chests > people would quickly burn through the supply of mats, making their price rise > eventually gems would become more advantageous than the TP to obtain chests.

I did notice a small increase in the price of mats – skins are going for 20-30s each now – but it’s still much more advantageous to use the TP than buy chests directly. Unsure what drop rates will do to prices, but presumably the non-skin mats will drop in price (unsure if skins will drop, sounds unlikely).

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

Chests are a waste of money period considering for less than the cost of 2 chests you can buy any of the rare skins right now heh.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: toomuchtatose.6874

toomuchtatose.6874

Wait for market to stablise, unless you want to speculate XD

in The Lost Shores

neon.4863

Chests are a waste of money period considering for less than the cost of 2 chests you can buy any of the rare skins right now heh.

Technically there are still the mini pets, so there’s still a reason to make chests if you really feel like gambling. Still not worth it with the odds, but yeah.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Johnson.3874

Johnson.3874

I know devs don’t control TP prices, so I’m not exactly blaming anyone – but as it is, paying customers are being ripped off by buying chests and would use their money better by exchanging gems for gold and forging chests instead. This situation may inadvertently have created an “exploit” for getting chests for fewer gems than originally intended.

Thanks for your post.
To be honest, I almost never buy gems, especially with real money, considering the price of stuff being sold there. For example, right now, a black lion’s salvage kit cost somewhere along 3.5g. For 25 charges. And for every other conversion you try to make, the price seems completely ridiculous.
Things being as they are, I’m not gonna spend any penny on the shop.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Problem solved. I bought all the skins up to the gem price. Thanks though, go about 20 chests for cheaper then the gem store!

in The Lost Shores

neon.4863

No problem! I just noticed as per another post by Skye Marin there is an even cheaper recipe for chests – 1 light+1 medium+1 heavy of the same type of skin (shoulder or breather) + 1 karka shell – which is further adding insult to injury – it means the more expensive recipe is still 5 times cheaper than the gem store.

And yeah, I don’t plan on spending any more on the gem shop. I already got the character slots I wanted, the bank tabs and the digital upgrade, so there’s nothing else there that I want for the time being that is worth the price.