Dear all: Cheer up!

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Caradryan.1795

Caradryan.1795

I know a lot of people are feeling indignant at the moment. There are a lot of people who slogged through the event in its entirety, only to watch other people on their server get the precursor that they wanted.

Note: this post is explicitly addressed at those of us who did manage to finish the event and loot the big crab chest.

The thing is, Anet didn’t tie any of us down in a chair and force us to play through the whole event. Each one of us who did the thing chose, out of our own free will, to finish the event chain and go through the thing. We can blame everything from advertisements of the Lost Shore events to bad luck to whatever, but in the end, we were the one who did the whole thing through. If nothing else, the process – if you think about it – was fairly remarkable. It did tell a fairly reasonable story, after all.

“But there are people who logged in during the final phrase and got all the loots! omg unfair!”

Yes. But there are just as many people who logged on RIGHT as the event ended. Or people who couldn’t make the event at all. Or people whose overflows got glitched and got nothing at all. What about them?

“But that other guy got the [insert item here!]”

Yes, but to everyone else, they’re all the “other guys.” That is just how RNG works, and if nothing else, it’s a testament to the power of social psychology. Furthermore, we had no way of knowing what was going to be in those chests. They could’ve been all greens and blues and whites for all we knew. Shouldn’t we be at least a little grateful that we got stuff out of it at all?

I think it’s very easy for us to be pointing fingers. But we can just as easily take a step back, take a deep breath, and go outside or do something else. The event’s done. It wasn’t perfect, but you did it. What has happened happened. Are you seriously going to let someone else’s good fortunes be a roadblock for your own happiness?

Think about what motivates you to play, or what motivates you to participate. I think we have a tendency to awfulize too much.

(edited by Caradryan.1795)

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Anubbyss.3805

Anubbyss.3805

Only thing that sucks really bad is the people who took part in the entire event from the beginning, all 2hrs+, only to DC before the boss died and thus not get access to the chest at all when they made it back in :\

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Rizen.1476

Rizen.1476

Sorry but I cant it just brush it off and say oh well. I spent 3 hours on the event. I waited for it to start and participated through the whole thing just to die at the end right before boss fight and get screwed out the chest. Unacceptable and to add insult to injury precursor weapons were part of the loot table.

in The Lost Shores

Caradryan.1795

Yeah. Those people have all of my sympathies. But at least it’ll be a learning experience for Anet, right?

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: ClintonD.8620

ClintonD.8620

I’m not raging, I enjoyed the multi-part event, just disappointed the loading screen crashed right at the end when I was rerezzing because I fell into the lava pool and i did not get the items.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: LazerEagle.7209

LazerEagle.7209

I know a lot of people are feeling indignant at the moment. There are a lot of people who slogged through the event in its entirety, only to watch other people on their server get the precursor that they wanted.

The thing is, Anet didn’t tie any of us down in a chair and force us to play through the whole event. Each one of us who did the thing chose, out of our own free will, to finish the event chain and go through the thing. We can blame everything from advertisements of the Lost Shore events to bad luck to whatever, but in the end, we were the one who did the whole thing through. If nothing else, the process – if you think about it – was fairly remarkable. It did tell a fairly reasonable story, after all.

“But there are people who logged in during the final phrase and got all the loots! omg unfair!”

Yes. But there are just as many people who logged on RIGHT as the event ended. Or people who couldn’t make the event at all. Or people whose overflows got glitched and got nothing at all. What about them?

Yes, but to everyone else, they’re all the “other guys.” That is just how RNG works, and if nothing else, it’s a testament to the power of social psychology. Furthermore, we had no way of knowing what was going to be in those chests. They could’ve been all greens and blues and whites for all we knew. Shouldn’t we be at least a little grateful that we got stuff out of it at all?

I think it’s very easy for us to be pointing fingers. But we can just as easily take a step back, take a deep breath, and go outside or do something else. The event’s done. It wasn’t perfect, but you did it. What has happened happened. Are you seriously going to let someone else’s good fortunes be a roadblock for your own happiness?

Think about what motivates you to play, or what motivates you to participate. I think we have a tendency to awfulize too much.

They didn’t force us to play, you are correct. But what they DID do was give some people precursors and not others. That is inexcusable. Those are worth SO MUCH money. What makes the next person to me any more rightful to have it than me? I know it’s a random chance and such, but really? There shouldn’t be precursors in there if they’re not giving them to everybody. My loot was complete garbage, and some people got upwards of 300 gold for doing the exact same thing as me.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Lynne.8416

Lynne.8416

I think those that lost connection have a right to be “upset”. Is it the end of the world? No. Should they rage quit the game? No. But they should have the right to vent their frustration.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Ultros.5317

Ultros.5317

How about there are a lot of people who slogged through the event in its entirety, only to get DC’d & log in to have the chest despawned. That’s a good reason to vent.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Kalok.4273

Kalok.4273

Well. its not about rng or pointing fingers, I was there entire event and I was dropped in lava from explosion, couldnt loot chest as a result of death.

I got zip was there enire event every day.

Now as far as rng is condenred there are documented cases of trial acounts getting precurser’s and I dont mean the one post on the forums.

Something needs to be fixed/done for those who were there the entire time and faithfull, and just didnt show up on last day and got loot.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I;m sorry what?

You’re saying “well it’s okay that they screwed up the looting system on such a massive event because we didn’t REALLY have to play it in the first place”

uhm no.

First of all they attracted players like me with their manifesto that there would be closer to horizontal progression, over the past month they have completely destroyed horizontal progression.

Secondly, I had guildies in full MF armor and some who were not who were level 80’s btw get level 39,50,62,76 Rares and 0 exotics. Who in there right mind thinks that level 80’s need rares? Go ahead, I’ll wait……..

Yeah didn’t think so. Everything that dropped for level 80 toons should have been level 80. Even if a few drops were rares. and there should have been 1 level 80 exotic weapon per person that dropped appropriate to the class of the player, without question. I can use two weapons as an engineer wtham sandwich am I going to do with a torch??? Seriously?

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Masterpyro.4310

Masterpyro.4310

Its nice that you don’t care, you probably got some loot. I was there for the majority of the event and crashed near the end so I got nothing. The crash was not my fault, their server couldn’t handle that many people in one area. I deserve the same chance at rewards everyone else got.

What motivates me to play is progressing and getting stuff, that is what is fun to me. I have progressed as far as I can, so now I just want the best stuff. Literally every other patch they have put into this game was to make getting stuff harder. This is the first event that actually gave people fantastic rewards. If we knew the rewards before hand, I would have tried much harder to get back into the right overflow to finish the even after the crash. But every other bit of information lead me to believe they would just screw me again. Turns out I got screwed in a different way than i expected.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Bios Element.7548

Bios Element.7548

No, not going to happen. We have every right to be upset for wasting 4 hours grinding through mobs to then be denied ANYTHING.

in The Lost Shores

Caradryan.1795

If you could read what I wrote… My commentary is towards the people who got stuff from the chest at the end. If you got crashed out of that, I think you’ve every right to lodge a complaint to Anet. Be angry. Smash things. Whatever makes you feel better.

Everyone in my overflow got at least two exotics in addition to the 20 slot box and the trinket. I’m sorry to hear that your particular run didn’t work out. Again, I think you have all the right to rage in that regard. But there are just as many people whining about the fact that they didn’t get a legendary precursor and how everything is still terrible – a cursory walk around LA overflow should show you what I’m talking about.

I’m pointing out that some of the most common complaints that are surfacing in our community can easily be reversed in logic. The idea that “why should other people get item X” can just as easily be reversed with the question “why should you get item X over someone else.” The weight of that particular argument is neutral, as per the nature of RNG. Neither seniority nor passion nor anything else really has any bearing on how the RANDOM number generator works.

The other thing, about people who logged in at the last minute and gotten the rewards – see my post.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Jnaathra.6549

Jnaathra.6549

The ones of us that participated for 2+ hours only to get kicked out.. Are not gonna sit around like a little kittening kids and be quiet while you pat us on the head.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

They didn’t force us to play, you are correct. But what they DID do was give some people precursors and not others. That is inexcusable. Those are worth SO MUCH money. What makes the next person to me any more rightful to have it than me? I know it’s a random chance and such, but really? There shouldn’t be precursors in there if they’re not giving them to everybody. My loot was complete garbage, and some people got upwards of 300 gold for doing the exact same thing as me.

you do realize if they gave them to EVERYONE like you are suggesting then they would be completely useless right? they wouldn’t even be as valuable as the salvage you got for them at that point.

The entire reason they are valuable is because NOT everyone got them and only very few people actually did.

However since this number of people was still significantly more then before the supply went way up causing the price to plummet. This means for the first time since launch precursors are actually affordable. So instead of feeling sorry for yourself, get out there, sell all the loot you have in your bank and in your collections tab, heck even the armor off your back if you need to and buy yourself a precursor or 2.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: DoctorOverlord.8620

DoctorOverlord.8620

I simply didn’t find the event very enjoyable, lag or not.

Fractals of the Mist was such a fun experience and I’m looking forward to doing it more which only serves to contrast the final event even more. I am very glad I’ll never have to do anything like that ever again (I hope!).

Check my GW2 Comic Dynamic Events http://goo.gl/JyB3J (Short Google Link to Fan Content Forum here)

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Scone Expenditures.1097

Scone Expenditures.1097

Bugged Noll and Quaggon, couldnt finish event and when the patch came, couldnt finish Quaggon, she was discontinued.
Final event, got the karka down to 1/2 hp. Got disconnected.
Couldnt even get back into the event until it was over, so i got no loot or no idea what happens at the end.
BIGGEST waste of time and effort for nothing.
They need to treat this as a trial run, and prepare better for rerunning the event.
You got loot? Good on you for being one of the rare few who didnt have all these problems happen to you.
As for me and the thousands of other who got screwed over by this event, it would only be fair to get some sort of compensation.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Arysta.9530

Arysta.9530

I don’t think it’s an issue of cheering up. I know many people took the events today very lightly, and they let all the negative parts of the event roll off their backs and fall into a dusty corner never to be seen again.

I’m not like that.

I wanted to have fun today. I wanted to face evil karkas and defeat them. Instead, I faced invisible karkas that invisibly facerolled the entire raid over and over again. I saw a person who didn’t even know what a precursor was get the one for which I’ve camped endless dragon spawns. Personally, I got loot barely fit to sell in the trading post. Normally, I wouldn’t mind, but I know I’ll probably never get that precursor and that’s disappointing for me. I don’t have many hrs a day to spend making in game money, so the idea of buying a precursor is pretty overwhelming.

Today, I hit a point where I no longer cared. I’m so disappointed in this event that I’ll be moving on to another game. I might come back if word of mouth starts to improve, but my spirit is deflated for now. I disliked the Halloween event, and disliked this one even more. I’ve come to the realization that this game just isn’t for me, despite loving the combat system, dynamic events, and the graphics of the world in general. Usually, that’s enough for me, but the things that I don’t like have become too overwhelming. Knowing that, and hitting that quit button with a bit of finality behind it is the only thing that has actually cheered me up.

I’m not ragequitting. This event simply proved to me what I’ve felt for awhile now: this isn’t the game for me.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Matthew.5716

Matthew.5716

Really? QQ so much about people looting precusor from chest? Or you are thinking that this is like primary school event?
“Teacher why you give him sweets but didn’t give me? Unfair!”
Grow up man, I loot one precusor from CoE dungeon, does that consider unfair to every single player in the game?

Proud member of Jade Quarry
Shelvish – Lvl 80 Mesmer
Quintuse – Lvl 80 Guardian

(edited by Matthew.5716)

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

I don’t think it’s an issue of cheering up. I know many people took the events today very lightly, and they let all the negative parts of the event roll off their backs and fall into a dusty corner never to be seen again.

I’m not like that.

I wanted to have fun today. I wanted to face evil karkas and defeat them. Instead, I faced invisible karkas that invisibly facerolled the entire raid over and over again. I saw a person who didn’t even know what a precursor was get the one for which I’ve camped endless dragon spawns. Personally, I got loot barely fit to sell in the trading post. Normally, I wouldn’t mind, but I know I’ll probably never get that precursor and that’s disappointing for me. I don’t have many hrs a day to spend making in game money, so the idea of buying a precursor is pretty overwhelming.

Today, I hit a point where I no longer cared. I’m so disappointed in this event that I’ll be moving on to another game. I might come back if word of mouth starts to improve, but my spirit is deflated for now. I disliked the Halloween event, and disliked this one even more. I’ve come to the realization that this game just isn’t for me, despite loving the combat system, dynamic events, and the graphics of the world in general. Usually, that’s enough for me, but the things that I don’t like have become too overwhelming. Knowing that, and hitting that quit button with a bit of finality behind it is the only thing that has actually cheered me up.

I’m not ragequitting. This event simply proved to me what I’ve felt for awhile now: this isn’t the game for me.

I guess we’re all entitled to that, and it’s a good thing you can just come back whenever (no subscription fee and all), but I do encourage you not to give up. There are those who work for things in life, and those who are given things. It’s unfair, but it cannot be avoided. You should keep trying for it though.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Winds.3087

Winds.3087

Who cares about loot. :\
Inability to see huge part of event and missing conclusion because of sound bugs, invisible boss, invisible geysers, massive lag, ~15 deaths, loginscreen bug and eventual ragequit – that’s frustrating. I can farm those 20-slots and precursors given time, but can’t fully participate this event, because it’s one-time.

Feels like jellyfish. And pepper!

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Anubbyss.3805

Anubbyss.3805

I;m sorry what?

You’re saying “well it’s okay that they screwed up the looting system on such a massive event because we didn’t REALLY have to play it in the first place”

uhm no.

First of all they attracted players like me with their manifesto that there would be closer to horizontal progression, over the past month they have completely destroyed horizontal progression.

Secondly, I had guildies in full MF armor and some who were not who were level 80’s btw get level 39,50,62,76 Rares and 0 exotics. Who in there right mind thinks that level 80’s need rares? Go ahead, I’ll wait……..

Yeah didn’t think so. Everything that dropped for level 80 toons should have been level 80. Even if a few drops were rares. and there should have been 1 level 80 exotic weapon per person that dropped appropriate to the class of the player, without question. I can use two weapons as an engineer wtham sandwich am I going to do with a torch??? Seriously?

One thing to remember in regards to this is they have clearly stated time and time again that Magic Find stat has no effect whatsoever on chests, ONLY loot obtained from the corpses of things you kill.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: badend.4182

badend.4182

Not everyone “chose” to leave. Especially those of us who were already tired but kept playing even through the unplayable levels of lag only to be dropped and get nothing for it while a few get awesome one-time loot and are presently gloating about it and telling Anet “good job” and not to give the rest of us a chance.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Lucky Thirteen X.4210

Lucky Thirteen X.4210

Note: this post is explicitly addressed at those of us who did manage to finish the event and loot the big crab chest.

I want to smile and agree with you, but No. Still too angry. Sorry.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Leviatana.8107

Leviatana.8107

I think everyone should have been equally rewarded. Like the Karka chest with a 20slot bag and a nice ring. Once half the people get a precursor and the other half of them miss out due to DC or being unlucky then it’s a question of how the person will take this. If you read half the guild has a precursor the other half feels left out. They’re expensive, rare and give a person something to work towards to. A grind of 300+ gold (it’ll be back to that price in about 3 days) or throwing in over 9000 exotics in hope for your precursor the question is will I be able to be bothered with that?

Right now I’m not in the best of moods as I managed to get 2 useless exotics that are useful for the mystic forge. I think they should have thought about the consesquences of only allowing third/half the people of getting a precursor.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Arysta.9530

Arysta.9530

I guess we’re all entitled to that, and it’s a good thing you can just come back whenever (no subscription fee and all), but I do encourage you not to give up. There are those who work for things in life, and those who are given things. It’s unfair, but it cannot be avoided. You should keep trying for it though.

I work for my paycheck. I get a sense of fulfillment and accomplishment at work. I guess I don’t really want to work that hard when I get home. I understand the drive some people have, but I’m not going to push myself past my fun limit just to get the funniest/coolest pistol I’ve ever seen.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: War Siren.2346

War Siren.2346

I’ll tell you what reset time, work at my shop for me, and let me play the event and get Loot, and then I’ll cheer up.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Mira.3681

Mira.3681

Ugh, I feel awful for ppl who DC’d and didn’t get chest at end. I was able to play it through from start to finish, had a good time, guess I would say I enjoyed it. (I usually don’t like really long events, but once I started I didn’t want to quit, so glad I saw it through.) Lot of dead bodies, tho – but we were able to rez and continue on. So guess I would say – crab’s back on the menu, boys!

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: ThirtyOne.3976

ThirtyOne.3976

It’s all good and well saying cheer up, actually, I’m looking for all the positives out of this at the moment.

Such as, to some degree, this event was great, uncovering the story, the looming threat, the humorous little extras, players properly helping other players on things like the jumping puzzles or just generally killing Karka, for what it’s worth, it was fun, I really enjoyed it. And whats better yet, I’m hoping ANet have learned a great deal from all this so that various bugs and whatnot doesn’t happen again, and we can look forward to a interesting Wintersday (yeah, we all know it’s coming). Not to mention giving the oppourtunity for many other people to try this game during a time where everyone is experiencing something awesome is all good as it creates social interaction and community.

In response to the OP; I get RNG, I’ve played Aion. I understand it’s a one time only event, ANet gave us plenty of warning. I fully accept tonnes of players getting a chance at good loot because they were there and ready for it, and we’re lucky enough to not be booted for whatever reason.

What I’m not happy about is what has happened to some of us who got disconnected for whatever reasons, and we were active during that event, working hard to keep you all alive and get you through the content, yet we get nothing. Na da. No shot at precursors, no chest, no fancy earrings, no 20 slot loot bag, not even a “sorry you missed out, have a bronze coin piece”. Nothing except a hefty repair bill and looking a corpse to show you what you missed. Even watching a Youtube video to see the cutscene would be awkward because you know you helped that lucky so-and-so get there and get a chance at a chest where people are reporting they got precursors. And for every person who will get their shiny legendary soon will be waving it in your face, will look at you, and with the straightest poker face, walk away, or at best, say “If you were there, you could have got something too.”

That feels like my skin has been ripped off and I’m forced to take a salt and vinegar bath, no joke.

I’m not bitter, I accept this, I was unlucky. But honestly, that probably the nicest response you or anyone are going to get from anyone who is in a similar situation to mine, and having the audacity to tell them otherwise you better expect something worse.

Save my heart tomorrow.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Sarmach.1547

Sarmach.1547

Yeah. Those people have all of my sympathies. But at least it’ll be a learning experience for Anet, right?

Not a valid excuse. They can and should look at other MMOs and learn from them. Even play the other MMOs and see how their things work. Granted they need to have some originality but this is like taking a test without studying. YOU SHOULD’T DO THAT.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Phoenix.6735

Phoenix.6735

Hey, let’s keep using terrible ideas like one-time only events in GW2 because WoW doesn’t do that and anything WoW doesn’t do = good.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

Well, atleast you guys had the chance of getting one. We, on the other hand, can’t participate because it is dawn and it is Monday here when the event is happening.

O_O

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Thereon.3495

Thereon.3495

Im annoyed, disappointed and troubled by how the event unfolded for me. So picture this… the event is going smoothly (and I mean completely without trouble) and im recording for my youtube channel with commentary. The event carries on running smoothly, becomes a joy to be a part of and the best two hours spent in GW2 thus far. I get to the end and receive more loot than I was expecting. Im perfectly happy….then it all goes wrong when I realise that I hadnt in fact recorded the run!

In all seriousness im both annoyed that it didnt record and overjoyed at what a good event it was. Its not often I experience ambivalence of this magnitude! 4.30am and im still too annoyed to sleep sigh…

(FYI I didnt get a pre-legendary but meh, had an extreme amount of fun today before coming down to earth with a bang)

Thereon Avenrise – former [Noes] Officer – Piken Square (EU)
Retired and living in a shack. Relaxing!

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: TurtleofPower.5641

TurtleofPower.5641

I was happy the whole weekend (and before the patch came out.) Nothing changed. Tons of amazing new free content. This game rules. I don’t know what else people want sometimes that’s actually possible. This is pretty much the max possible in MMO entertainment in this day and age.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: brokenserenity.4638

brokenserenity.4638

Im sure a-net will rectify this by at least sending anyone who missed the event due to dc or otherwise open of those chests with the bag and trinket in, as for the precursors cant say i care really neither of the weapons i use has a decent legendary so im not even gonna bother trying to make one untill they add more daggers, shortbows and pistols that dont look like crap to the legendary list.

Overall i enjoyed the event chain accross the 3 days though a-net really should open a test server to iron out bugs before they launch the next one.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Clisair.9052

Clisair.9052

My only complaint is that when loot dropped for me it was very cheap vendor trash. My regret is that I was unable to attend the big event due to real life concerns

The cheap vendor trash was what hurt the most when everyone else was getting tons of sell-able loot. Guess that is what I get for running a mez