Dissapointed with phase one.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Searingarrow.4637

Searingarrow.4637

I’m disappointed with what I’ve seen so far. I understand the event isn’t over and there could be amazing things on the next 2 days. But unfortunately today’s phase of the event has been a complete waste of time so far in my opinion.

Here is why:

The opening event for this phase of the Lost Shores event consisted of spamming abilities at veteran crabs, some of which were not able to be hurt except through dots that were instantly removed after one tick of damage, in an extremely laggy environment. The event was lackluster, the only cool thing about it being the cutscenes.

After the laggy auto-attack fest that started this event you get a letter in the mail telling you to visit 3 people in different zones and gather information from them on the karka. After you go and help each of these people with there little quests (taking roughly 45 minutes) you come back and give what you’ve gathered to Researcher Levi in Lion’s Arch.

She rewards you with 5 Captain’s Council Commendations. These commendations can be used to purchase things from a vendor where the lions statue used to be. What you can purchase from the vendor with these commendations is absolute trash and a complete rip off.

I understand that there’s a few other quests out there related to this but they give the same rewards.

Here’s what she sells:

Black lion key – 285 Commendations. This is absolutely ridiculous. 285? I only got 5. Black chests don’t give anything worth that much effort.

Crude salvage kit – 1 token. This is the lowest tier of salvage kits in the game. They can be purchased from nearly any vendor for 32 copper. So I can get 5 of these. Neat.

Disasembler 3BEK Kit – 25 tokens. A low tier salvage kit with 250 uses… Neat.

Then they sell you versions of all the gathering tools in the game but with 250 uses each instead of the standard 100 uses. Why would I go and work for these commendation points to buy this crap when I can just go to any regular vendor and buy it for a few copper?

Next they sell you Lionguard weapons. They cost 40 commendation tokens each. You have always been able to just buy these from a vendor in lions arch for 9,800 karma per weapon (which is very cheap)

So basically I just wasted 45 minutes to get a fraction of the amount of tokens I need to buy vendor trash I could go and purchase from any vendor in the game for 32 copper – 4 silver depending on what I want. Oh and lets not forget the cool weapons they sell that you’ve always been able to get for a cheap amount of karma… Weapons that you never see anyone with because nobody wants them….

TL;DR – Phase one feels like a waste of time to me because the opening event was a generic event no different than any other dynamic event in the game and the rewards are a complete rip off…

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Regizer.1763

Regizer.1763

This is only phase one, just an opening act. I missed act 1 for halloween event but act 2 and 3 were a lot of fun. So just wait and see till the weekend is over to see if you’re still dissapointed.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Arysta.9530

Arysta.9530

I agree with this post. Going to that vendor feels like I just walked into a dollar store that charges $100 for everything.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Bassi.3627

Bassi.3627

That’s pretty much my experience.

A laggy opening event where auto attacking was all I can do, followed by a blatant gold sink of an event reward NPC, (No seriously, do some of the math required to buy that stuff and it’s honestly not worth it) Followed by a quest line that I still haven’t completed because it’s bugged, and the Karka event in Spiral where none of the karka even rendered for me.

Large scale events like this are foolish to have if you don’t know how it’s actually going to play out in a live environment.

in The Lost Shores

Searingarrow.4637

I agree with this post. Going to that vendor feels like I just walked into a dollar store that charges $100 for everything.

Exactly how I felt. I mean shouldn’t the rewards be something unique and related to the event? They just put a bunch of garbage from other vendors in there and made it ridiculously harder to get.

in The Lost Shores

Searingarrow.4637

I still have hopes for the rest of the event I just don’t understand why they would do what they’ve done today.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Tooks.8701

Tooks.8701

Sadly the only part of this event I could take part in is the new dungeon. I was on at the events launch and then the game proceeded to kick me out. I managed to get back in before being kicked out a further two times, at this point I could not get back in until after the initial event. I’ve tried to attend the ‘mini’ invasions in the other zones, but none of the Karka rendered for me, so I couldn’t participate there either. So far a disappointment

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Tyber Valens.5148

Tyber Valens.5148

I just gave up trying to take part in the events. The game lagged so much I couldn’t really take part. I couldn’t even see the crabs or whatever they are supposed to be. They wouldn’t render.

Templar Valens – Human – Guardian
Server: Maguuma

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Merc The Forgotten.5610

Merc The Forgotten.5610

I had loads of fun

At the moment of the cut scene i get kicked out the game so i missed that one.
Then finaly get back ingame LOADS of lag not able to use skills revive people or what ever you do in combat falling death and not seeing an enemy’s finally event over. The other events starts all events bugged not even 1 event working.
Then getting loads of mails about whats happing always the same mail over and over again.Taked a break in hope it will work later i go check no change everything still bugged.Dungeon need to restart each time because we get kicked out for some reason.
Event you dont want to miss they said….
If this will be the same tommoro dont count me in.
Today just felt like a stress test like those in june or so in the beta phase.
even changed my planning to be able to play today sto not miss the event.
Only one thing to say it wasnt worth it.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Kageru.9124

Kageru.9124

Timed, one-off events in a global game are sort of dumb. On the positive side I missed out on the bugs and lag due to being asleep.

The phases need to be longer so everyone can participate (and they can be bug-fixed since most seem broken). And combining it with a free trial weekend was not too clever.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: chopsticks.9853

chopsticks.9853

Here’s what she sells:

Black lion key – 285 Commendations. This is absolutely ridiculous. 285? I only got 5. Black chests don’t give anything worth that much effort.

Crude salvage kit – 1 token. This is the lowest tier of salvage kits in the game. They can be purchased from nearly any vendor for 32 copper. So I can get 5 of these. Neat.

Disasembler 3BEK Kit – 25 tokens. A low tier salvage kit with 250 uses… Neat.

Then they sell you versions of all the gathering tools in the game but with 250 uses each instead of the standard 100 uses. Why would I go and work for these commendation points to buy this crap when I can just go to any regular vendor and buy it for a few copper?

Next they sell you Lionguard weapons. They cost 40 commendation tokens each. You have always been able to just buy these from a vendor in lions arch for 9,800 karma per weapon (which is very cheap)

So basically I just wasted 45 minutes to get a fraction of the amount of tokens I need to buy vendor trash I could go and purchase from any vendor in the game for 32 copper – 4 silver depending on what I want. Oh and lets not forget the cool weapons they sell that you’ve always been able to get for a cheap amount of karma… Weapons that you never see anyone with because nobody wants them….

ahaha my friend. you didn’t check out the new halloween chest with skins did you…

So now put new skins in gambling boxes not content. Classy move right there.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: nelopp.6140

nelopp.6140

Pay to donate. The most brilliant idea ever.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

…you do know you can use the mystic forge to turn weapons, armor, and food into commendations, right?

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: maina.5389

maina.5389

Had fun, couldn’t care less that I can’t get uber crap from the MF (like I expected it), and unlike the, strictly Halloween events, I can go into anytime after the events end, I think it’s ok. Seen worse. Probably will see worse on the next big thing.

in The Lost Shores

Searingarrow.4637

…you do know you can use the mystic forge to turn weapons, armor, and food into commendations, right?

Why does it matter? You can buy all the commendation crap from vendors for a few copper.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Minos.5168

Minos.5168

After the laggy auto-attack fest that started this event you get a letter in the mail telling you to visit 3 people in different zones and gather information from them on the karka. After you go and help each of these people with there little quests (taking roughly 45 minutes) you come back and give what you’ve gathered to Researcher Levi in Lion’s Arch.

She rewards you with 5 Captain’s Council Commendations. These commendations can be used to purchase things from a vendor where the lions statue used to be. What you can purchase from the vendor with these commendations is absolute trash and a complete rip off.

TL;DR – Phase one feels like a waste of time to me because the opening event was a generic event no different than any other dynamic event in the game and the rewards are a complete rip off…

I feel like the “donations” to fix Lion’s Arch are ArenaNet’s way of trying to remove a large amount of items from the game. Possibly at an attempt to regulate TP prices of goods. (Like how they’d done with that Mystic Chest thing that I missed out on)

in The Lost Shores

Searingarrow.4637

I feel like the “donations” to fix Lion’s Arch are ArenaNet’s way of trying to remove a large amount of items from the game. Possibly at an attempt to regulate TP prices of goods. (Like how they’d done with that Mystic Chest thing that I missed out on)

…. What are you talking about?

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: nelopp.6140

nelopp.6140

But the problem is the rewards for the commendation are total rubbish and not worth the effort to exchange for.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Minos.5168

Minos.5168

But the problem is the rewards for the commendation are total rubbish and not worth the effort to exchange for.

Right, I didn’t say it was worth it. ArenaNet seems to have a bad grasp of giving “decent” rewards.

The only way it makes sense is if they’re trying to get rid of items, since like you said… It’s not really worth it. They’re probably hoping people are stupid.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Mr Crazy Moose.5760

Mr Crazy Moose.5760

Large scale events like this are foolish to have if you don’t know how it’s actually going to play out in a live environment.

Pretty much everybody could see that the lag and server issues from Halloween’s one-time event would return.

It’ll probably get worse with the inclusion of trial players, which sort of defeats the point of the trial since they’ll go away with a bad impression of the game.

I’m not sure what possessed them to do more one-time events, they’re always going to cause these sort of problems.