Life Priorities vs. One Time Events

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Rixiy.4285

Rixiy.4285

The fact is, many of us are geeks who don’t quite have our priorities in a responsible order. If we’re excited about something, we take off work, stock up on energy drinks, and ignore real life for a while.

But sleep, our jobs, and our school ARE important, so all I’m asking is for a little more info with the advertisements of the one time events. I did miss a few hours of work today, which wasn’t a big deal because my job is flexible, but I was left regretting it after participating in today’s event. It was mildly entertaining, but nothing concerning story I would have been upset about missing, and certainly not worth the rewards considering there were almost no drops.

So basically, can you put in a hint to help us prioritize? We are promised a “once-in-a-lifetime, thrilling conclusion on November 18,” but for those of us having to make a choice, could you also add “mainly featuring a cinematic and just-for-fun battle,” or “including an excellent chance to get a special item which will never again be available,” or “the main features of the event will be accessible for several hours”?

An epic teaser description ending with “don’t miss it” leads to bad life decisions. A so-so event following said description leads to angry, poor, sleep-deprived geeks.

Thanks.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: epicsmooth.7825

epicsmooth.7825

A.net needs to become a parent now?

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Rixiy.4285

Rixiy.4285

They don’t NEED to be anything except a company that makes a game. Personally, I would be happy with that. In fact, it would be great if I never had to interact with anyone from the company, as it was with the original GW and as it is with just about any other game.

But lately they’ve made this attempt to be a like a friend by making themselves seem accessible through the forums and coming up with all these events. They’re the ones trying to make a connection and asking for feedback. All I’m asking for is a little honesty and some follow through, just like you would expect from anyone before you trusted them, gave them your money, and set aside time for them.

Like I said, my job allowed me to miss a couple hours without consequence, but I heard several accounts of people taking off work. I think a little more information isn’t too much to ask, and would greatly benefit the masses.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Voltar.8574

Voltar.8574

i think they’re not likely to ever make something substantial a one-time event for that reason. so far the only things that have given us something was the end of halloween (and there was a bro in LA giving out the hats for 2 and a half weeks after that).

so i’m probably not going to stay up late for these things anymore. on sunday i’ll be sure to go to bed as soon as i get home from work so that i can be up relatively shortly after the on-time event then. i’m assuming it’s going to be another end-event like halloween that went on for a while.

i think they got enough crap about a 5-second cutscene that they know not to make missing the events punative.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: KjarlSeaspite.9573

KjarlSeaspite.9573

our jobs, and our school ARE important

No they’re not.

Enjoy getting paper money which will be useless in the next year or so. Hope you enjoy working like a slave for corporate masters.

School? OH you mean to get that degree in a useless study so you can cry why you can’t get a job? School is just there so you know have to respond to the master more easier. There is no learning anymore.

2deep4u

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

Life is priority.

Youtube the rest of it.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Hellkaiser.6025

Hellkaiser.6025

Simply put, players will eventually realize the events are shallow and involve a lot of “just for fun” in the temporary part and either partake in the events as they happen or do what many sane individuals do after recognizing the nature of GW2

Ignore the fluff, all of it and take part in the permanent additional content or just log to a different game that ya know

has more substance

Irony…. xD

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Tyrant.4703

Tyrant.4703

our jobs, and our school ARE important

No they’re not.

Enjoy getting paper money which will be useless in the next year or so. Hope you enjoy working like a slave for corporate masters.

School? OH you mean to get that degree in a useless study so you can cry why you can’t get a job? School is just there so you know have to respond to the master more easier. There is no learning anymore.

2deep4u

Ah, so you’re living in your parents basement while they pay for everything? That’s the life, no independence at all

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: bluewanders.5297

bluewanders.5297

If you can’t make decisions based on the information provided… then it’s YOUR priorities and decision making logic gates that need to reevaluated. Adjust your own behavior and stop expecting other people to accommodate you.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: lorazcyk.8927

lorazcyk.8927

Ah, so you’re living in your parents basement while they pay for everything? That’s the life, no independence at all

Doubt it.
I identify with what he said and next year I’m building a $500 Alaska-weather-proof house with my own two hands (not in Alaska though, New England), raise chickens, goats for milk and meat, grow all of my vegetables and fruits, preserve all my food for the winter, and I will barter/trade with a neighboring farm for beef, maple syrup or honey, and hay for the winter. Entertainment will consist of chopping wood, playing music, dancing and singing with friends!

Trading my laptop for a heating/cooking woodstove and then I will say, “good bye cruel world!”.

Hopefully I will make it good enough that I can take care of my mother, my boyfriend’s parents, and give the extra food to the local community so my town can have healthy children.

I don’t want to live the same ugly and meaningless life treadmill every one else lives, I want something better for my health and my soul.

Bet you didn’t expect that, uh?! :P Some of us have been there and realized this “civilized treadmill” isn’t all there is to live. I had that lifestyle and my health suffered, now I’m healthier and learned what’s truly important. (The doctors and drug companies you put your faith on only made me more and more sick!)

On topic… I wouldn’t really bother taking time off to “enjoy” these events, better to give ANet time to work out the bugs. I don’t think it’s time well spent when it’s so buggy and confusing. I just search on YouTube for the cinematic and read the Wiki to understand what’s going on. ANet will never say “oh don’t bother taking time off work, it’s not going to be some huge deal” because that’s just anti-climatic

^^

(edited by lorazcyk.8927)

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: yurtshone.7325

yurtshone.7325

A.net needs to become a parent now?

No, Anet need to think about its obligations to other more seriously than it does. What is happening now is that the team there think and say to each other “wouldn’t it be so cool if we did…” and then add some over the top goal. They need to think about the technology the industry has and what is reasonable to accomplish.
So they sold 2 million boxes at launch, only they know how many more since then, then decide to run a promotional IaF on a massive scale and wonder why when alot of those people log in and expect something good to happen.
It does not take a clever mind to know that it will end in tears for them and their customers.
It is not about parenting or anything like that. It is about being responsible and know that servers cannot yet cope with events of this kind.
Stop with the one time event garbage. It was never going to work and always going to annoy so many people that it makes your company look like a laughing stock

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

Basically, I’ve learned from the last two events: Ignore them. They aren’t important. Just wait to see what does work and if it easily fits in, I might do them. Might not.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: ZeZackus.8031

ZeZackus.8031

I completely agree with the OP. I’ve been a long time Guild Wars fan, and in GW1 I would get so hyped and excited about each of the special holiday or weekend events, even to the point where I would do something silly like miss other things I couldve done IRL or wake up at crazy hours of the night to make it to an event. Even if they weren’t “one-time only” the things like the mad king coming to LA to give me a hat and some ToT bags, or running rollerbettle racing to try to get some gamer points and get up on the leader boards. All those things felt so rewarding and fun, even though they didn’t net lucrative amounts of coin or exotics or whatever, and I would always look forward to the next time it came around.

However, GW2 is sadly not the same. I feel very bad for the content designers that are working on this game because they are doing an amazing job crafting GW2 into that truly living breathing world that I dreamed about for the 5 years that this game was in development. I mean the idea of this whole event is such an epic way to introduce that new dungeon and new zone. Its just that when it comes down to it, it is executed poorly, and worst of all feels very unrewarding. There’s just no reason for us to schedule our time around them. I know its great for publicity, but please stop deceiving us into thinking that we “don’t want to miss it” if there’s nothing special that comes from it.

P.S. flame me all you want. This is my opinion that I’m writing to the devs, not the trolls. I just really want to see GW2 succeed.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Hunterdan.4921

Hunterdan.4921

This is like telling your friends that they shouldn’t have a party, just because you can’t make it.