Lost Shore Event - No Reward [merged]

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: RvLeshrac.2673

RvLeshrac.2673

I feel your pain, but please consider the logistics of what you’re asking Anet to do.

How do they determine who was disconnected and who wasn’t? Should they just take everyone’s word for it who gets on the forums and complains about it? That’s certainly not a definitive way to do it. Do their logs have a way of reflecting disconnects? Possibly, but I’m going to say they probably don’t.

How do they give the rewards, if they can figure out who deserves them? Do they mail it? That’s likely not as easy as it sounds, because I doubt they’ve made a system for running the loot tables and mailing it. Do they spawn a chest only certain people can see, wherever they are? That could be possible. Maybe.

Furthermore, should Anet really make a habit of giving free things to people that just get unlucky? Don’t get me wrong, Anet isn’t completely off the hook for what happened to you guys, but let’s face it, accidents happen, and Anet can’t go around fixing every little accident that happens for the rest of the game’s lifespan. And if they start now, that’s what they’ll have to do.

Again, I’m not trying to be offensive or insensitive to any of you unfortunate souls. I know it sucks, but before you get your expectations up, I can tell you right now, what you’re asking for is not nearly as simple as you think it is.

Well they did have an npc after halloween give the event item to those who couldn’t get it, but did participate in the events. I can see them doing that for this one.

Indeed. It shouldn’t be asking much for an NPC so that those who didn’t get, say, the box to get one.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: MsSkitzle.7056

MsSkitzle.7056

Same as Ultros, here. I could see the chest, game froze and I lose connection to server.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Ryenoh.4529

Ryenoh.4529

You mean like giving tons of people “free” precursors, of course those that got them will say they weren’t and that they earned them right?

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I feel your pain, but please consider the logistics of what you’re asking Anet to do.

How do they determine who was disconnected and who wasn’t? Should they just take everyone’s word for it who gets on the forums and complains about it? That’s certainly not a definitive way to do it. Do their logs have a way of reflecting disconnects? Possibly, but I’m going to say they probably don’t.

How do they give the rewards, if they can figure out who deserves them? Do they mail it? That’s likely not as easy as it sounds, because I doubt they’ve made a system for running the loot tables and mailing it. Do they spawn a chest only certain people can see, wherever they are? That could be possible. Maybe.

Furthermore, should Anet really make a habit of giving free things to people that just get unlucky? Don’t get me wrong, Anet isn’t completely off the hook for what happened to you guys, but let’s face it, accidents happen, and Anet can’t go around fixing every little accident that happens for the rest of the game’s lifespan. And if they start now, that’s what they’ll have to do.

Again, I’m not trying to be offensive or insensitive to any of you unfortunate souls. I know it sucks, but before you get your expectations up, I can tell you right now, what you’re asking for is not nearly as simple as you think it is.

There should be a log that shows we completed the events in the event chain. They can then just cross-reference that with those that opened the chest.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: mercuricdrake.1049

mercuricdrake.1049

What about for the people on the servers where the event bugged out and hasn’t even gone past the first stage yet? We should be punished for Anet’s NPC AI errors?

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Clark.6093

Clark.6093

It would be relatively easy to figure out who participated in the event, what their level of participation was, and if they did or did not loot the chest.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Darkwolf.2463

Darkwolf.2463

Have done event twice now with no reward. First got DC’d at the end and the second I died on ramp and got res’d after the chest had disappeared. Totally p’d as I put effort and time into both to get nothing. Totally gutted but will try once again I guess (3rd time lucky) most likely to get a right kitteny thing :/

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Cercie.1025

Cercie.1025

The whole event was poorly constructed and I’d even offer to give my own reward to a friend who put in the same effort just to miss the chest at the end. I feel sorry for anyone who joined during the free trial with how badly this event showcased GW2. It’s a great game, but this is just sloppy.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Jnaathra.6549

Jnaathra.6549

They have been skating on thin ice with many of us for the past few weeks. I know my in game time has diminished greatly.. Now we have another half baked event, that their servers can not handle. People put in 2-3 hours of time and then either get kicked or get squat. While others get precursors (on trial accounts at that).

The entire kittening thing stinks like kitten. kittening EA over on SWTOR treats people better than Anet does.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Rizen.1476

Rizen.1476

Dont mind some of the bratty trolls that hop in threads to say “too bad”. Im sure they got loot and want to keep it that screw everybody else

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Oracle.2695

Oracle.2695

I honestly do not expect any compensation from Anet. It was my fault I missed the rewards by rezzing others on my way to the chest, so that they may also claim their earned rewards too. A lesson learned for any future events.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Revan.3185

Revan.3185

Well they need to do something for people who gave up their weekend to play this and got nothing from it.

FOR GREAT JUSTICE!

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: kaahzvi.3469

kaahzvi.3469

Or maybe make it so event happens throughout the day and not just ONCE? I heard people got d/c, chest despawn infront of their eyes, or just others who weren’t able to log in on to the game that specific hour of the day

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Right Toe Of Grenth.4032

Right Toe Of Grenth.4032

I don’t really care about the rewards now since I always get crap after 7 years of GW1 but after burning 2 hrs I want to at least experience the end of the event and slay that thing.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: neon.4863

neon.4863

People didn’t just get unlucky. Some people were booted from the game, some people’s games crashed.

Also yes, if ANet keeps their logs correctly, they should be able to rectify this. How do you get credit for an event if your participation isn’t recorded somewhere?

People who were there deserve the uniques, at least (shell and bag). Also, having opened the chest is also an action that needs to be recorded (so you don’t open the chest a second time). Properly kept logs would contain this information – event participation and chest looting. Hand out the rewards to people who have the event participation, but not the chest.

A system for running the loot tables and sending mail is painfully simple to make. Look at all the mail we received in the past 2 events. We get mail with items all the time from the game itself, through the gem store, when you make a new character, during events.

It’s not hard to compensate people, but if records for event participation and chest looting are erased when someone logs out, that’s it. I doubt the latter, however, since chests are limited to once a day. It should only wipe on rollover, and even then they should have a pre-rollover backup.

This isn’t fixing every little accident, this is patching up an inherent flaw in how they chose to conduct this event. Items should’ve been mailed to players, or handed out by an NPC, instead of in a chest that can despawn. It’s their own lack of foresight re: the fact some people would die or disconnect and be unable to reach the chest. It’s also not “free” things – these people participated in the event in spite of lag and other technical difficulties. They deserve the reward as much as everyone else.

FTR, I did reach the chest.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

What about for the people on the servers where the event bugged out and hasn’t even gone past the first stage yet? We should be punished for Anet’s NPC AI errors?

That’s not a very good way to look at it. You aren’t being “punished” in the slightest. You’re missing out on inconsequential plot points, but that’s literally it. They haven’t taken anything away from you, and what you’re missing isn’t even very important. It’s a mistake on their part, to be sure, and it is unfortunate that the players have to endure it, but sometimes they can only do so much. I’m definitely not saying they’re infallible; in fact, I think there’s a lot Anet needs to do before trying another event like this. But again, you aren’t missing much.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Aenoch.8051

Aenoch.8051

Or here’s an idea, let’s not have a one time event that gives out Exotics and precursors.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Yos.2198

Yos.2198

same here – dc’ed before final part, logged back to an overflow server and the event was apparently over – 2.5 hours of participation = no reward in the end due to systems issues. Not happy at the mo.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Guardian Tristan I.3871

Guardian Tristan I.3871

Andred…your so full of it!!! All game play is LOGGED for the account, that is how they track errors when reports are filed and find bots etc. It also logs, log ins and log in attempts. They can tell by the logs when we all started crashing and who was disconnected and kept coming back in. This is also how they tell what you have purchased illegally .vs in Game and bust you for that…IT IS ALL LOGGED and can be FIXED! So get off your high horse…I did not waste almost 3 hours of my time to get jipped and pay a bunch of silver for constant armor repairs!!!

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Bruno Martin.8025

Bruno Martin.8025

I don’t think I died once at the final part of the event, despite being really close to the action. Was doing a lot of support too. Then the crazy lag spike began. 20~30 seconds for key response. Then 2 disconnections wide apart, the last being 2 minutes away from the chest… And I lost it. Argh… A good waste of 3 hours grind…

Edit:
I realize it must have been hard on the servers and the staff, but I feel really disappointed and frustrated not to get any rewards while seeing people link theirs…

(edited by Bruno Martin.8025)

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Scone Expenditures.1097

Scone Expenditures.1097

Bugged Noll and Quaggon, couldnt finish event and when the patch came, couldnt finish Quaggon, she was discontinued.
Final event, got the karka down to 1/2 hp. Got disconnected.
Couldnt even get back into the event until it was over, so i got no loot or no idea what happens at the end.
BIGGEST waste of time and effort for nothing.
They need to treat this as a trial run, and prepare better for rerunning the event.
You got loot? Good on you for being one of the rare few who didnt have all these problems happen to you.
As for me and the thousands of other who got screwed over by this event, it would only be fair to get some sort of compensation.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Oberon Vex.1389

Oberon Vex.1389

Sunk a couple hours into fighting mobs that left no drops and one in ten gave experience for no reward. Went afk for a few minutes during what was apparently the second last stage, and got no reward. Apparently the last stage takes 1/10th the time of all other stages before it. I missed the end boss, my fault, but I sunk a couple HOURS into this event chain and all i have to show for it is the xp from the completed stages. No loot whatsoever. While I’m disappointed that I missed the final stage and what apparently is ALL the reward you get from the event, that was my fault. What is NOT my fault is the fact that all the rewards for the event were lumped into the final stage. I contributed throughout the event and got nothing, while someone who showed up for just the last stage would have gotten full credit. Anet: in the future please allow mobs throughout the event chains to drop loot.

in The Lost Shores

Andred.1087

People didn’t just get unlucky. Some people were booted from the game, some people’s games crashed.

Also yes, if ANet keeps their logs correctly, they should be able to rectify this. How do you get credit for an event if your participation isn’t recorded somewhere?

People who were there deserve the uniques, at least (shell and bag). Also, having opened the chest is also an action that needs to be recorded (so you don’t open the chest a second time). Properly kept logs would contain this information – event participation and chest looting. Hand out the rewards to people who have the event participation, but not the chest.

A system for running the loot tables and sending mail is painfully simple to make. Look at all the mail we received in the past 2 events. We get mail with items all the time from the game itself, through the gem store, when you make a new character, during events.

It’s not hard to compensate people, but if records for event participation and chest looting are erased when someone logs out, that’s it. I doubt the latter, however, since chests are limited to once a day. It should only wipe on rollover, and even then they should have a pre-rollover backup.

This isn’t fixing every little accident, this is patching up an inherent flaw in how they chose to conduct this event. Items should’ve been mailed to players, or handed out by an NPC, instead of in a chest that can despawn. It’s their own lack of foresight re: the fact some people would die or disconnect and be unable to reach the chest. It’s also not “free” things – these people participated in the event in spite of lag and other technical difficulties. They deserve the reward as much as everyone else.

FTR, I did reach the chest.

I definitely understand what you’re saying. I just think it’s presumptuous for any of us to say what Anet can and can’t do. We don’t know what they’re capable of. We don’t know what logs they have or what systems are in place on their servers. And given the recent series of bugs, I’m not sure why people assume they’re prepared to rectify this mistake.

Maybe they can, maybe they will. I don’t know. I just think we don’t have a place to say how easy it is for Anet to do something.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Chippalrus.5437

Chippalrus.5437

This is just how I see it:

People who did event and d/c from it and missed reward should be compensated.

People who missed it cause of work/school/other issues. It is like a one-time convention either you go to it or miss it you cannot expect it to repeat.

People in Asia/Oceanic timezones. These are NA/EU servers you have no reason to complain. In fact you should have been aware that all events would happen during NA/EU times.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

Well they did have an npc after halloween give the event item to those who couldn’t get it, but did participate in the events. I can see them doing that for this one.

COMPLETELY DIFFERENT! That was because of “Mega-Super Storm Hurrican Sandy” had caused millions on the East Coast to be without power for days to weeks. That was to assist those that wanted, but absolutely 100% couldn’t, get into it. It was also to show care for those in a natural disaster.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Zen.2450

Zen.2450

I couldn’t even log in due to error 7:11 which AN hasn’t bothered fixing after 3 months. How does that factor into my satisfaction?

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: RvLeshrac.2673

RvLeshrac.2673

People who missed it cause of work/school/other issues. It is like a one-time convention either you go to it or miss it you cannot expect it to repeat.

People in Asia timezones. These are NA/EU servers you have no reason to complain. In fact you should have been aware that all events would happen during NA/EU times.

Yet they weren’t told that before they shelled out the money for the product.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Yos.2198

Yos.2198

ditto – 2.5 hours and no reward due to disconnect :(
At the very least they should be able to track event participation per account and reward players through the mail retrospectively…

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Lyrgoif.4739

Lyrgoif.4739

SAME kitten ISSUE – Boss gets down to barely nothing and BAM lagged out hours of work down the drain no reward no way to find the overflow I was on. And to boot you find out its not going to re occur what about people who have lives and can’e participate during a designated time I guess it doesn’t matter I work form home and still go shafted.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Varkhus.8762

Varkhus.8762

I logged out of my own accord maybe 30 minutes into the event, I didn’t think it was worth the frustration and I still don’t think it was. But I really feel for the people who slogged through it only to miss out on the final chest. ESPECIALLY because no event in the game has ever given rewards of this scale. They didn’t hint that the final chest would be anything near what it was.

I don’t think they should repeat it, God knows it was bad enough once. It might be nice if Anet took a page from Trion’s book and sent everyone something like the 20-slot bag reward. Nothing overpowering, like the weapons or the accessory, but something usable by anyone. Rift did this when their first big event fizzled (I forget the name now but it was the same kind of short-sighted planning…gather hundreds of players in one area…yeah great idea). Send every active player the bag, who cares if they were even online or not. Let them claim it only once, if you want, and make it account-bound. This would go a long way toward restoring some people’s faith in the game. It would not make up for the fact that some people got precursor weapons but it would be something, a gesture at least.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Raebfle.5914

Raebfle.5914

I’m actually very disappointed that Anet only put this out ONE time and it was on an American time. I live in NZ and play with a few friends and for me, ALL of these events started at 8 am, which began on Saturday and finished this morning on Monday. I missed a lot of the events and as such have missed out on a lot of what has happened. I’m disappointed that Anet couldn’t put it out on a regular interval but stop those who had already looted from looting again. If records are kept properly, it really shouldn’t be hard to do. It’s unfair that everyone who isn’t in America has to schedule their time around an event that they want to participate in, especially those with jobs and the like

I felt like it could have been planned better for those who don’t run on American times.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: BurningLobster.1953

BurningLobster.1953

If you have the flag for the completion of the event involving driving the ancient Karaka back into it’s lair, and you did not collect the reward chest, you should be mailed it. Simple as that.

They can do a quick scan of their DB for those two parameters and solve a large chunk of the problem by implementing that fix.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Dand.8231

Dand.8231

Restart the event and just block people who already looted the chest ? Simple no ?

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Violet Vhaliana.7628

Violet Vhaliana.7628

That’s not a very good way to look at it. You aren’t being “punished” in the slightest. You’re missing out on inconsequential plot points, but that’s literally it. They haven’t taken anything away from you, and what you’re missing isn’t even very important. It’s a mistake on their part, to be sure, and it is unfortunate that the players have to endure it, but sometimes they can only do so much. I’m definitely not saying they’re infallible; in fact, I think there’s a lot Anet needs to do before trying another event like this. But again, you aren’t missing much.

You clearly don’t understand what he is talking about. The demolition NPC stopped dead in his tracks and the event never progressed, at least where I was. The boss never appeared. No boss, no event, no loot.

It has nothing to do with plot points. He is talking about the main event, today.

I am another person who was, indeed, punished by Anet’s programming errors.

in The Lost Shores

Andred.1087

Bugged Noll and Quaggon, couldnt finish event and when the patch came, couldnt finish Quaggon, she was discontinued.
Final event, got the karka down to 1/2 hp. Got disconnected.
Couldnt even get back into the event until it was over, so i got no loot or no idea what happens at the end.
BIGGEST waste of time and effort for nothing.
They need to treat this as a trial run, and prepare better for rerunning the event.
You got loot? Good on you for being one of the rare few who didnt have all these problems happen to you.
As for me and the thousands of other who got screwed over by this event, it would only be fair to get some sort of compensation.

I doubt that the “rare few” got rewards. A huge number of people got rewards. I’m pretty certain the “rare few” were the ones who had problems with it. Maybe I’m wrong, but I haven’t seen any indication that thousands of people were screwed over by the event. Of course, we could find out, if they did the event again. I don’t think they will, though.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Varn.7025

Varn.7025

Anet knows which players have opened that chest and who hasn’t. All they have to do is mail the 20-slotter, the orange ring, and like 20g to everyone who didn’t open the chest.
In the Halloween event, you couldn’t open the clock tower box more than once, so they definitely know who opened the loot box and who didn’t.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Razios.6291

Razios.6291

oh i dont know mabye if they just look to see who was raging like me right after the event ended theyd know who to give it out to. chances to get a precursor and i DC fun stuff

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: MsSkitzle.7056

MsSkitzle.7056

Went through all the DC’ing, rendering issues, desyncing of abilities from servers (I would have to wait 20-30 seconds just to cast a spell), Quite a bit of silver on repairing and waypointing, and a massive headache….

…Just to DC after the final cutscene, and not get my chest. I want to say this game is amazing, but at the moment im very, very disappointed at the amount of issues that continuously pop up.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Jaher Dal.9503

Jaher Dal.9503

I didn’t even disconnect. I got taken out while trying to rez someone, and got to see the big group doing the event rez everyone around me, leaving me behind while they took out the Ancient Karka down below. After the cut scene, someone was nice enough to run up to rez me, but since I didn’t participate in the last few minutes of the battle, or a timing issue, the chest vanished as I walked up.
I am mad, but mostly at myself for getting mad over a video game.
I had stuff I was going to do this weekend, but put them aside to enjoy the event, which I did. The battle was epic and I had a great time for the 2 1/2 hours fighting alongside so many other players.
Like I said, the last 2-5 minutes of fighting at the bottom I missed out on, and that was a bummer. I would not have been able to even make it if I went to a way point, as the way point was on the other side of the island.
I am lucky I was there to see it through to the end, from reading about all the dc’ed players, but still felt left out, especially since I was there from the start.
Reading that so many got awesome loot from the chest just makes watching it vanish as I walked up to it that more frustrating.
I did have fun with the event, just pissed about the end.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: IllusiveMan.3415

IllusiveMan.3415

3 hours just wasted for me

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: SneakyErvin.3056

SneakyErvin.3056

Uhm… OP… are you new to MMO gaming?

They have logs for everything. It wouldnt take much work seeing who was where when and who did and didnt get loot.

All they need to do to solve it and give everyone that participated rewards is send them a chest in the mail including random drops aswell as the bag/accessory. Only thing they might not be able to account for are food buffs. But they should have a log of positions, time, equipment, event stage, crashes, effort put in (deaths/damage/revives/heals). They should also be able to see the reason why people d/ced and such, if it was loss of connection or regular logout.

Its basic stuff they also use to catch exploiters, cheaters, hackers and bots. If it can be used to weed them out and punish them it should be used to reward people that run into bugs and such aswell.

I got my loot and all, had no isses whatsoever except with culling and some minor ms lag. I still think the unrewarded should get their rewards if there was login issues, crash issues and disconnects. My friend had d/c’s at start but managed to get back into it and stick with us till the end and recieved a nice precusor.

Let Valkyries guide me to my destiny.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Kajetan.3146

Kajetan.3146

You mean like giving tons of people “free” precursors, of course those that got them will say they weren’t and that they earned them right?

Since when were precursors earned? Last i heard the forge was even more unkind

in The Lost Shores

Andred.1087

You clearly don’t understand what he is talking about. The demolition NPC stopped dead in his tracks and the event never progressed, at least where I was. The boss never appeared. No boss, no event, no loot.

It has nothing to do with plot points. He is talking about the main event, today.

I am another person who was, indeed, punished by Anet’s programming errors.

Oh, I see. Well, that’s very unfortunate. Perhaps they will consider re-doing the event then, since this is very clearly their fault. Though, I don’t know if enough people will participate. Surely very few of the people who completed it are going to go through all that again.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: kaahzvi.3469

kaahzvi.3469

People in Asia/Oceanic timezones. These are NA/EU servers you have no reason to complain. In fact you should have been aware that all events would happen during NA/EU times.

Yeah…because it’s absolutely impossible for Anet to make an event that happens throughout the day for people how has school/work/other issues that were unable to log in specifically in that 2 hour timeframe

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Kajetan.3146

Kajetan.3146

Food buffs do not affect chest rewards. THere was a mod post on it somewhere

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Fiontar.4695

Fiontar.4695

I was revived by a guildmate and was able to get to the chest just in time. I was there when the chest disappeared and saw a number of people on my server who were too late getting back for the reward.

Just the final icing on the mess of a cake that this even represented.

I actually had fun with the nearly three hour, server lag ridden slog to complete the final event, but there were more things bugged over the weekend than were working and there were many very questionable design decisions for the entire event. Having the final chest not stick around long enough for everyone who earned the reward is another big one to add to the list.

I really hope that the devs who worked on this have really taken to heart all the lessons to be learned and we will never see the design flaws repeated in future special events. I also hope that Arenanet will hire as many more capable programmers as needed to ensure that a.) we never again see an event with even a tenth as many bugs and b.) to ensure that if there are numerous unanticipated bugs, there are enough programmers to facilitate all the needed fixes in an hour or two.

There also needs to be someone on future event development teams that has the forethought to realize that the reward chest should stick around for more than three or so minutes!

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Chippalrus.5437

Chippalrus.5437

Yeah…because it’s absolutely impossible for Anet to make an event that happens throughout the day for people how has school/work/other issues that were unable to log in specifically in that 2 hour timeframe

I never said it is impossible. I am saying ANet wanted it to be a one-time event otherwise they would have made it repeat to begin with. They even specified that it would be “one-time” for the past week.

one word: Entitlement.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Lucky Thirteen X.4210

Lucky Thirteen X.4210

Hey all,

Like many I participated in today’s event. During the last leg I died, hit the waypoint and trekked back. By the time I made it back the event was finished and the chest had already vanished. My party both got precursors and I literally got nothing. I’ve opened up a support ticket but I’m not going to hold my breath there.

I’m a longtime GW player and huge supporter of this company but I’m really disappointed with this as I feel like I got screwed in a one time reward that there’s no reason I should have missed.

Anyone else have the same issue?

Join the crowd.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Valker.6079

Valker.6079

I had major lag at the end… could not move at certain points and actions where delayed. Was standing right in front of the chest clicking on it and nothing and then it finely opens and i am like WOOT!!! So I click the search button and nothing…. Still delayed, so I am like wait a minute or so and maybe will get something but then the chest disappears and I get nothing……… almost 3 hours wasted…..

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Revan.3185

Revan.3185

Same here, I really hope Anet does something about this.

FOR GREAT JUSTICE!