Lost Shores Appreciation Thread

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: PotatoOverdose.6583

PotatoOverdose.6583

Just posting to convey my appreciation for the event. A job well done. A bit on the long side but well worth it overall. There was a fairly large window for which people could get in on the event, on my overflow server the event lasted 3 hours or so.

Again, thank you Anet, hopefully subsequent events are as successful as this one, if not more so.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: ClintonD.8620

ClintonD.8620

I must admit, even though I missed the items, which irks me, I did enjoy the event, despite all the issues.

For Christmas, please, ANET, lay back on the complicated stuff. Make it easier and less complicated. Maybe a scavenger hunt and a snowball fight. That’ll be good.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Bruno Martin.8025

Bruno Martin.8025

I think it went pretty well for such a short event with so little time to fix any bugs. Things went well most of the time.
Not that I’m apreciative of everything – I am one of the ones that got disconnected right at the end, and came back just to find a lack of rewards…
Maybe if it was more prolonged they would have had more time to fix the problems that went on.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Loridian.2410

Loridian.2410

Had fun myself, was still tad laggy but for those able to finish not bad A-net. Had a good time. Loot at end was awesome in comparison. Love the ending, was very very cool.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: balow.3759

balow.3759

I thoroughly enjoyed this event. I loved the scavenger hunt and the jumping puzzles. The new content looks great. Thanks a bunch Anet for this wonderful although long event. I can’t wait until the Christmas one.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

I enjoyed the event itself. I was terrified of getting dc’d at the end as I was lagging horribly. Luckily I managed to stay in game. I feel bad for the folks that dc’d.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Haelis.9426

Haelis.9426

Had to be the worst event in my gaming history of 16 yrs and 45 games. Had to the potential to be really great, but was so poorly executed it was insane. I hope to god they never, ever do another POS like this. This will go down in gaming annals as one of the worst events ever. And the rest of you, here is a rag, wipe your nose off.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Geikamir.6329

Geikamir.6329

I really enjoyed spending hours doing an auto attack event, which I was lagging so bad for the first 45 minutes that I could not activate ANY skill. I would relog and be dead. Wasting money on repair and waypoint costs.

Then I get kicked right before the end and get no reward at all.

I really loved it.

Toons: Foreseer, Geikamir, Rapscallion, Specimen, Scythian, Zeau, Ärtifact, and Replica.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Godslayer.1203

Godslayer.1203

The event was buggy, sloppy, and very unimpressive AT FIRST.

I didn’t mind the grind leading up the final event, though I do kinda hate healthpoint battles.

Then this chest came – I didn’t get anything epic like a precursor or anything, but i still like that I got some rares/exotics. Feels good to see those pop up. I can count on one hand how many times an exotic has dropped, and I play almost every day since the 3 day headstart.

Not to mention the 20 slot, and the trinket – I would say the chest made up and then some for the poor start the event had.

Thanks anet!

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Serbaayuu.3051

Serbaayuu.3051

I loved it!

Of course there were problems with culling, some lag, and the reinforcement phases of the event were too long, in my opinion.

But, the event as a whole was very satisfying, epic, and creative. Using the island itself against the Ancient Karka was fantastic! Definitely one of my favorite world events. And chasing it down until we broke its shell with explosions before finally cooking it (mmm, need butter) was really, really satisfying.

Plus, the loot was phenomenal.

This was the first true world-changing event for Guild Wars 2. A one-time story that will never, ever happen again. Lion’s Arch was under attack. We retaliated, and we conquered. This event will go down in Tyria’s history.

Please, if you enjoyed the weekend, mention it. If we want this world to continue being a living, changing world, with one-time events and great stories, we can’t let the negativity drown us out.

Well done, ArenaNet! All problems accounted for, I still had fun, and I want more! Looking forward to the culling fixes, too, which will make the future events even greater.

Sylva – 80 Ranger
The Fifth Column [FCol]
Henge of Denravi

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: LunaticChaos.7138

LunaticChaos.7138

As a longtime gamer and MMO player myself I found things overall well done. The event had its issues. The Lagtastic First Day seemed to serve as a clear heads up that somethings needed tweaking and seemed to clear up for the next two days.

Final Event, the reinforcements during the Ancient Karka chasing had way too much health and during the bomb run where the big Karka would just pop out of nowhere that was a big issue.

But ignoring those two things, it was a rather well designed event, just had those two things bogging it down. Staying alive was a challenge there were things that added some variety to the fight. And then the rewards at the end, think it could have used one or two more things to balance out the frustration but I walked away with an upgrade, a precursor, and 3-4 gold for my trouble. Worth my time to do.

Here’s hoping Anet learns from the issues that popped up during this one and comes out with something bigger and better next time.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: ConfusedDave.4271

ConfusedDave.4271

I really enjoyed the finale event. No disconnects, lag was tolerable. A few invisible enemy issues, but the event felt truly epic and I had a lot of fun!

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Joukehainen.5148

Joukehainen.5148

I’d like to thank Anet for a very cool event. It’s evident to me they put a lot of work into it, and overall I definitely had fun! I love the look and feel of Southsun Cove and the karkas and their animations and attacks looked quite cool.

I had a lot of fun doing the “Skipping Stones” jumping puzzle (the other one was too easy!)

There was horrible lag during the opening event, to the level of being unplayable. I really recommend re-examining the overflow system and seeing if you can make some improvements – more shards, for example, might help.

However, I’m pleased to say that I felt no server lag during the final event, and my fps held at 25+ during the entire (four hour long!) final fights. I only had to turn post-processing off and turn down shadows and textures a bit.

The final event was exhausting, but in a (mostly) good way. One thing that’s a bit of a shame is the randomized loot – it’s frustrating getting things you can’t use and no one wants to trade for. But overall it was varied and kept your attention up for the marathon. The people on Piken were wonderful, bringing along kegs and banquet tables and fireworks to celebrate.

The phase 1 bug, though. Did that ever get fixed? I’d really like to finish the treasure hunt. Overall I had a lot of fun, but the lag and overflow system really needs to be addressed and improved.

Also, I really suggest having the events run a BIT longer, for a few reasons:

1. More people will be playing spread over a longer period of time. This should alleviate server strain and lag on the user-end
  2. Longer event lengths will alleviate a lot of the panic on the forums should bugs arise, and give the devs more time to address the problem
  3. More people will be able to experience the events. It’s clear to me Anet puts hard work into these events – don’t they want to make sure lots of people have the chance to enjoy them?

:)

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Pambella.9273

Pambella.9273

Had to be the worst event in my gaming history of 16 yrs and 45 games. Had to the potential to be really great, but was so poorly executed it was insane. I hope to god they never, ever do another POS like this. This will go down in gaming annals as one of the worst events ever. And the rest of you, here is a rag, wipe your nose off.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Pambella.9273

Pambella.9273

I have to agree. Was looking forward to this after Halloween. Got in after the main event on Phase 1 and now have a potion and a scroll that no one wants. Never say a soggy bag. Missed Phase 2 event, but participated in Phase 3 making me thankful I missed one and two. ++ silver in repairs for 2 1/2 hour event. No drops off any mobs. The chest made up for some of the repair costs in the 20-slot bag alone. Tried the Fractals Dungeon twice now, and the swamp was impossible (the back wisp location), so we left and got a jump puzzle into the air one, at which point two people had to leave, which was fine because we had all wiped anyway. So still haven’t completed level 1. I won’t be going back into the dungeon and with Christmas and end of year events in real life, I won’t be playing much. No incentive really. May do something if there are holiday activities, but I won’t have loads of time, or be able to take time off work for it, so likely that won’t be very beneficial game-wise. My question is, do I destroy the potion and scroll. Kiel doesn’t want them and Levvii is gone from the game it seems. Way too complicated and broken. I would vote #3 of the poll response from a previous forum post.

(edited by Pambella.9273)

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: seldomseenkid.2850

seldomseenkid.2850

i’d have preferred a 45 minute event. not 45 minutes of content artificially inflated to 2+ hours by adding a few zeros onto enemies health pools.

also, spending the best part of 10 minutes to take down a champion only for it’s healthpool to refill to 100% is soul destroying.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Midi.1504

Midi.1504

I loved the event! Keep up the good work!

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Green Machine.3710

Green Machine.3710

I really liked the event as well. In the finale, the reinforcement phases were too long, but overall was fun and definitely epic!

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Daemon.6514

Daemon.6514

I to thouroughly enjoyed this event, P.S dont remove the grind for ascended items! (i like the accomplishment of hard to acheive items)

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: BurningCrow.9816

BurningCrow.9816

It was epic. Loved it. It was long and I ended up holding my 2 month old as she slept on my chest for the last bit but it was fun.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: displacedTitan.6897

displacedTitan.6897

I hate how much people gripe, this was a great finale. Yes the first two phases had bugs which is regretable. The fight against the ancient was awesome, we got wiped a couple times but the server rallied together and beat him. Awesome loot at the end and a really cool event.

Also, Haters gonna Hate.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: MastaNeenja.1537

MastaNeenja.1537

The event was a solid 4 out of 5 Stars in my book. I would like to see similar events like this in the future, just not very often.

Pros
-awesome difficult battle which involved more than just hack and slash
-excellent rewarding loot

Cons
-lag during first event, though I didn’t have problems during the last event
-Last battle was just a bit too long from start to finish it took 2.5 hours, was fun however

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: enos.1580

enos.1580

I actually quite enjoyed parts of the event. If the pacing had been a bit tighter it would have been quite good start to finish.

The first stages were just an incredibly sadistic slog. You guys really need to fix your rendering issues before you can run things this large again.

Herding the ancient karka back was pretty terrible at the start, with the enormous amounts of veteran spawns. Once it got to the areas where you did neat stuff like plug steam vents with boulders it was much much better. Everything progressed at a pretty good clip from that point on, and the finale was absolutely spectacular.

Anet just needs to seriously work on some quality of life improvements. Fix the rendering issues, getting slaughtered by invisible things is just dumb. Make sure dead players running back from waypoints don’t have to play Solid Snake through 500 more mobs. Keep the pacing tighter to keep folks interested and excited.

—Arakny, 80 Engineer
—Tarnished Coast

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Misty Red Rose.9320

Misty Red Rose.9320

Too long but most guildmates enjoyed it a lot and had fun, and the rewards were worth it, even though I didn’t get one of the really nice items. But heck, the 20 slot bag made it worth it. I did dc at the end and I think I went into another overflow area that was almost done, and I still got the chest.

Just a bit of whining – lag was bad and 2 members got a dc towards the very end and one person made it back but the boss was gone and no chest. One guy couldn’t even get back into the game. He left the game very, very unhappy because he spent 2 hours hacking away and nothing to show for it.

These things are very popular! We need more overflow or servers which ever it is.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Tsuki.4138

Tsuki.4138

Thank you Anet for a wonderful event! I had no issues with the exception of some major lag during phase 1 (during phases 2 and 3 I switched my graphics to best performance and that helped a lot). Other than that, no problems. Loved every moment of it. Can’t wait to see more!!

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Leamas.5803

Leamas.5803

I have to say, with phase 1 being botched so badly I really considered giving up on the entire event, then I had problems with the start of phase 2, but the boat was there so I decided to persevere and head over to the island just to check it out. It was fun there and the Skipping Stones jumping puzzle was excellent. Then came phase 3, which, with the problems of the previous two days, I was anticipating with some gentile apprehension. I have to say phase 3 was epic and, for me at least, makes up for the problems and frustration caused by phase 1 and to a lesser extent 2. Well done…it was a blast, I loved every minute of the 3 hours phase 3 took and I truly appreciate all the work that went in to making this possible.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

This is the appreciation thread. If you don’t appreciate, please post in one of the complaint threads.

I had a blast this whole weekend, even when Canach was bugged or my party members didn’t make it into main for the big battle today. I am amazed at the new content and the weekend’s events are fodder for a lot of RP.

I am sure the Anet people were heartbroken at the issues and didn’t get a lot of sleep this weekend. They want to do super cool fun stuff for us. And they have. I just can’t play my old MMO any more, not after this wonderful world and game design and mechanics. I’m sure they have learned from this and will improve performance in future events.

I appreciate the heck out of you, ArenaNet. There are things you still need to do to improve the game, both small and large, but I love this game far more than any I’ve ever played and I look forward to many more events and expansions in times to come.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Unspecified.9142

Unspecified.9142

I also enjoyed the event. I don’t have much to add I just want this bumped up.

People never seem to consider that real people made this stuff and it must be very disheartening to be flooded with complaints for everything they do for us (at no mandatory cost to the players). It’s just as important to let them know what was good as what was not.

Sometimes it’s important to just say “Hey Anet, thanks for the game. We appreciate what you do and what you try to do even if it doesn’t always work out.”

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Samfisher.7942

Samfisher.7942

What event? Everything happened at 4am for me, and the DE’s at Southsun were bugged the whole weekend, so the only thing I did the whole of Lost Shores was scream at Noll cos he was bugged.

Ezendor [SYN] – Synapse, Ranger
Sea of Sorrows

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: brokenserenity.4638

brokenserenity.4638

Loved the event overall though the bugs made me think you should probably open a test server before the next big event kicks off if only to iron those out.

Thanks A-net for a fun 3 days that resulted in at least 3 new members who joined my guild for the trial deciding to upgrade to the full game despite the issues with dc’s and other minor bugs.

Cant wait for wintersday now but hope it lasts more than 3 days this time so everyone cant take part without the huge lagfest rushes the big events seem to attract, also hoping for some nice new xmasey weapon and armour skins or perhaps some special dyes beign added to the drop tables for the event(instead of the trading post for once).

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: MissyMI.7295

MissyMI.7295

Going to chime in to offer my thanks as well.

I waited over 45 minutes yesterday on an overflow server for phase 2 to start before giving up, so I wasn’t sure about attending phase 3. But everything went fine today and I ended up having a lot of fun. It took a long time for our group to finish the event, but it was worth it.

I’m hoping future events last a little longer so people have more time to participate, but it’s nice getting new content so frequently.