Lost Shores: Creating Winners vs. Losers

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: zzled.9125

zzled.9125

Some of GW2’s best features came from rethinking MMO conventions to promote inclusiveness and cooperative play. For example, automatically sharing credit for monster kills, individual loot drops and individual gathering nodes. These allow everyone to “win”, rather than create some winners and some losers.

This way of thinking was absent from the Ancient Karka event chain. First, it was implemented as a “one-time” event that lasted several hours. I mentioned this already in an earlier thread: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/lostshores/No-One-Time-Events-We-re-Paying-Customers/first

Second, completing the event rewarded some players with legendary precursors, creating some huge winners. The level of rewards here were completely disproportionate to anything else in the game so far. Whether you finish a World Event chain or run a dungeon, you’d be extremely lucky to get even a single exotic.

Together, these two factors created a lot of losers. If you live in the wrong time zone, you lose. If you were busy that day, you lose. If you quit halfway due to lag and/or frustration, you lose. If you got disconnected and couldn’t get back to a shard with an active event chain, you lose. If you “only” got L78 exotic drops from the the Ancient Karka chest, you lose. That’s a lot of losers. And people don’t want to play GW2 to feel like losers. Everyone wants to feel like a winner.

Rolling back the servers isn’t an option, so what can be done so that more people “win”?

(1) Design future World Events to allow everyone to participate. Some ideas that have come up on the forums include running the events multiple times over a day or week, or implementing some kind of instancing or phasing. At the absolute minimum, one time events should not give out the most valuable items on the TP.

(2) Find other ways to give everyone a much better shot at legendary precursors and make other activities more rewarding. For example, buff the drops from other event chains, such as the Orrian temples, to match the Ancient Karka event. Buff the dungeon rewards further to give at least one rare or exotic per run, or perhaps a bag of Tier 6 crafting materials.

This is just my 2 cents. You can cater to the people who feel like winners only if others lose, or the people who don’t care if other people lose as long as they have a good time. But I’d much rather play a GW2 in which everyone can win.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Treeline.3865

Treeline.3865

Good Post……..

Leader of Heroes [Hero] – Seafarers Rest

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Sarevok.2638

Sarevok.2638

Very true…a scale of rewards ranging from 5g at most to 100+g is just out of order on a one-time event…or at all for those big gathered world wide events.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Gravehorn.3197

Gravehorn.3197

Very true…a scale of rewards ranging from 5g at most to 100+g is just out of order on a one-time event…or at all for those big gathered world wide events.

Agreed;

{Copying my post from another thread}

It was very disappointing to see people linking 5-7 Exotics and the Inventory Bag only to find out I just missed the event.

I play when I can, I don’t need a game/ Game Company telling me when to play.

There should never ever ever be a “log on now to play or Tough Luck event”.
Anet needs to make the ‘events’ last Hours if not all day. Each phase should have been a series of small attacks with diminishing loot returns. Missed the first run of the event come back and participate in run #2. You get to open the chest. Come back for the 3rd ‘attack’ no chest, less of a drop chance for exotics ECT.

Making the event one time during what you believe to be a high player count time is good on paper, but falls short in reality. One time events mean everyone HAS to log on or they are borked. This increases lag, decreases play ability and excludes a large chunk of the player-base.

(edited by Gravehorn.3197)

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Ekove.4586

Ekove.4586

ok honestly as long as you looted the chest you won….the minimum you could get out of it is 30g worth of items..the max is 200g or so…if everyone got it it’d ruin the market as well so the random factor has to be there. What upsets me is that some of us didnt get to do it at all and some did it over 3 times, ruining the market ultimately.

But still your post is excellent. I dont think a one time event, or any type of event for that matter should give the most valuable items on the game. People would’ve been happy with this event just for the bag and trinket since they are very much worth it. The extra rare things should stay extra rare…though I’d support making dungeons and such more rewarding.

Also, the ultimate solution if you are going to have a one time event and dont want people to abuse and farm it because you are giving a big reward is simple: instances that can only be entered once per character/account…simple…otherwise scratch this idea of a one time event.

Someone posted somewhere else that a very good way to execute this type of event was the way they did the halloweens back piece, it was an interesting quest, reasonably long and had a reasonably good reward (at least back then since it was harder to get back items than it is now). And everyone got a chance to do it. Didnt hurt the economy because the reward was soulbound.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Celesica.5790

Celesica.5790

But I’d much rather play a GW2 in which everyone can win .

I love this part. It’s also the reason why I played this game. I thought it’s a win for me, either I’m hardcore or casual, PvE or PvP, and no matter where I live in the planet.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Innolis.7534

Innolis.7534

ok honestly as long as you looted the chest you won….the minimum you could get out of it is 30g worth of items..the max is 200g or so…if everyone got it it’d ruin the market as well so the random factor has to be there. What upsets me is that some of us didnt get to do it at all and some did it over 3 times, ruining the market ultimately.

I got at most, 4G out of all the loot…(no, I wasnt upscaled). I’m not complaining ’cos I at least got to finish the event, but the rewards where incredibly disproportionate.

Agree on everything else.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

I dont agree, never mind that calling those who didnt get a precurser a loser is wrong. What did these people loose exactly?

but even beyond that, if anything I think they were far too generous though I can understand it as the market really needed a good precurser infusion to bring prices down. This was a really good way to do that! But giving one to everyone isnt a good way as it would kill the whole prestige of the thing making it meaningless.

Also you can never have something in which everyone wins. At least not with what people consider a win. There are many things in gw2 in which absolutely everyone wins. Such as taking part in a dynamic event, even if you fail you’re rewarded with multiple things. XP, Karma, Gold, Loot! You dont see anyone really happy about that do you? thats because it isnt special if it isnt different! Take said event, obviously not everyone got precursors, I for one didnt ! yet I got exotics, even named exotics and as far as I can tell everyone who got the chest got exotics which is unprecidented yet you’re calling such people loosers even though each and everyone of them got more then any other other event ever in the game! ask yourself why is that? If everyone got a precursor are you sure you would consider it a win? especially when the price would plunge down drastically as 100,000s of people compete with each other to make sure their precursor sells so they can buy the one they really need?

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: zamrai.3784

zamrai.3784

Well said OP.
It’s very unfortunate that this event created people who felt good and lucky and (much more) people who felt they got a LOT WORSE reward for the SAME effort.

Some people say “get over it, life isn’t fair” and fail to realize this is a game, entertainment and there is absolutely nothing entertaining in feeling like a looser of a lottery. I haven’t bought this game to participate in a lottery or to feel like a looser of one.

No MMO game can completely avoid rng elements and they can be tolerated but only to some degree. No one whines about people who occasionally get some expensive mats or exotics in dungeons because these items are worth a couple of gold so almost everyone can potentially afford them. Giving away items worth hundreds of gold to selected few is another thing. Its nice for few lucky people but makes whole rest feel bad, because their reward for this one-time event is not even close to possible. Welcome to the lottery, say goodbye to entertainment.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Sarevok.2638

Sarevok.2638

Just want to pop in and add here. You cannot help but feel even worse when the people around you getting rewards of crazy high value are those that have played for less than a fraction of the time you have. I am of course referring to the trial accounts.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Pochibella.8394

Pochibella.8394

I didn’t get a precursor and I don’t feel like a loser.

People were talking and cracking jokes during the event in map chat. People were helping rez each other up when we would die. People were excited about what was going on. It was laggy, culling was atrocious, but people were having fun and amazed at the epicness of what was going on.

As I said, I did not get a precursor. I personally don’t know anyone who did. I sold one exotic on the TP for 1g76 and salvaged the other and the rares for ectos towards the legendary I am working on.

Am I glad I got something out of the chest? Of course I am. Would I have run the event if Anet had said “There will be no loot at the end”? Yes, I would have. I do not feel like a loser because I am still having to farm for my precursor. I think it’s great the prices are down. I think it’s great some people got some nice stuff. Better luck to me and others next time.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Reward distribution was very unfair. Next time give one untradeable precursor of choice and everyone will be happy. Also make looting the end chest account bound, so people cant abuse overflow and alt hopping.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Buzzcrave.6197

Buzzcrave.6197

It saddens me to see all these noobs that get the precursor when I’ve thrown 100g into mystic forge and get nothing. It even make me sadder when I know a guy with a trial account get a freaking Dawn.

Anet, RNG is just uncool. Remove it completely.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: neoxide.7320

neoxide.7320

I don’t like the notion that everyone should be a winner. This attitude is a real issue with people these days because in the real world, not everyone is a winner.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Airyll.7849

Airyll.7849

Good post, good post.

No event should ever be a one time event – and particularly not an event where there is such a huge range of rewards to be had. Now then, I’m not just saying this because I was out the kitten country and not able to participate. I’m saying this because:

1) You can never QA test these events if you run them once and then never again. The amount of bugs and glitches were not things ANet could have stomped out, because they ran these events only a few times per day at most, or only once at all. How are you going to apologise to a player who spent four hours trying to take part in this event and have fun, only to get bugged out, disconnected, and then unable to log back in until the event was over and they lost access to the chest?

You can’t.

Big events like these with such huge reward tables should be run bi-yearly at the very least so that they can be bug tested and run more successfully a second time at a point in the year that other players who perhaps missed out the first time have the chance to play again, with a greater chance that the game will run for them.

2) Running these events bi-yearly doesn’t make them any less special. All it helps to do is pacify players who couldn’t get that event at one point in the year.

It’s the same with special sales. We know on Steam, for example, that we get two huge yearly sales. The summer sale, and the Christmas sale. Did you miss the game you wanted to buy in the summer sale? Well kitten that really sucks, but you always have the chance to grab it at the Christmas sale!

The same logic applies here. Yes, people will still be upset if they miss the event once in the year, but the knowledge that it will run again will instantly pacify a lot of the aggression we are seeing on the forums from players who missed the event or got bugged out.

3) Please sort out the loot for these events. If you’re asking people to dedicate a whole four or five hours to your event to try and complete it and they run a huge risk of bugging out and not getting the rewards even if they’ve been online for hours trying to help the big event push on, then they should be able to feel secure knowing they won’t come out of the event empty handed. There needs to be a fail-safe way to ensure that somebody who dedicates four hours to your event and then gets an unfortunate DC caused by a bug the dev team couldn’t have ever hoped to fix (since they can’t run the event previously to bug test it) will get some manner of reward for taking part.

I’m willing to bet many angry players are upset at the fact that they took part in this event, got disconnected at the worst possible time, and came online to find they couldn’t get their rewards but their friends were getting anything from decent exotic gear to pre-cursor legendary items. An unacceptable loot table for such a rare event with so many bugs, and there isn’t an excuse for it.

(And again, these people too could be pacified if the event was made into a bi-yearly event. The event remains rare, people can still feel like they saved the world for half a year, new players that join in the middle of a year get to take part in the later event, players that miss the event the first time are secure in the knowledge there will be a chance to attend again later.)

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: kellian.9712

kellian.9712

One of the things that made me pick up GW2 was the good stuff I was hearing about the community, and how this was a different kind of MMO game.

Now one patch/event later we are seeing the same old MMO discussions we have seen since forever. “casual” v “hardcore”, “have” v “have nots” and a new one as we now have the “fair” v “unfair” discussion.

I will only say this isn’t a sim game, it’s a fantasy MMO game (I know amazing) and any relation to real life is simply coincidence. So to say real life is x this therefore a video game must be x is just really bad logic and thinking.

The real issue for me is, GW2 has suddenly turned into every other MMO out there, I didn’t play GW1, but was drawn to GW2 because of all the good things I was hearing, yet here we are having the same discussions that every MMO had/has. Once you lose your uniqueness or the reasons a certain segment decided to play your game perhaps its time to take stock and reassess things.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Voqar.2349

Voqar.2349

It’s bad design to create events that occur at specific times in living, breathing, persistent worlds played by people with varying schedules and time zones. Utterly bad design.

It’s bad design to claim your game is skill based and then give people insane rewards for zerging and getting lucky with opening a chest. There’s no skill in zerging or in opening a chest.

Ultimately, ANet has continued to slide on my opinion scale with continual changes to the game that go against their original design, with poorly designed events, and with servers that can’t handle the events that they slam out with no testing or thought to impact in terms of performance or what the content does to/for players.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

yes, it’s oh so unfair that someone else will have more money than me. i feel so jealous of them that i must post on forums about it.

TC, YOUR game hasn’t changed. someone getting lucky doesn’t make GW2 worse for you. it’s a lesson in life you should take. don’t look on others’ success as an insult to you.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Airyll.7849

Airyll.7849

No game – no game – should ever run one time events on this scale regardless of their community.

As I explained, one time events are horrendous. They cannot be bug tested because this would require running the event multiple times with breaks in between to stomp out bugs. They often have horrendous and ill-thought out loot tables, as this event certainly did have. They also often cater to players in the game’s “home country” – this is often somewhere in the Americas and typically in North America specifically.

All these together conspire to make the argument for why no game should have a one-time event. Make the event bi-yearly and so much of this complaining would have already been avoided. (Yeah, people would have been sore they missed it, but the damage would have been significantly less if they knew this event would eventually repeat, and would probably be much less buggy than it was this time around.)

It is worse for GW2 in particular because ArenaNet really wanted to strive to make their MMORPG sound “available for everybody.” Nobody had to grind to get epic gear or grind to get level 80 and nobody had to spend hours slaving away on a gear treadmill, the game was designed to remain open and playable to everybody regardless of where you were.

Therefore, a “one time event” instantly closes off that availability, creating the pseudo-double standard of the game not doing as it was advertised to do, and not being available to everybody, thus causing even more complaints than any other game would have gotten (and other games would have gotten significant complaints too) because people bought this game with the promise that content would be available for them at any time.

One time events are clearly not.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Ska.7943

Ska.7943

You get a precursor from the chest. I get exotic pants with a crappy rune. What did I lose, exactly?

Now there are thousands more precursors out there. If you feel bad because someone has a precursor and you don’t that’s an issue on your side.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: metaverse.6821

metaverse.6821

I don’t like the notion that everyone should be a winner. This attitude is a real issue with people these days because in the real world, not everyone is a winner.

You see, this is a game though.

It is understood, by anyone that is maybe 12 years old that life isn’t fair. Some people are born beautiful and get handed everything to them. Some people are born into terrible situations. We could go on all day about how and why life isn’t fair…

But games…games are escapism. Studies show that people play games mostly to take a break from their real life. Whatever their real life is, everyone has issues and games are a break from that.

That’s why people always want games to be fair, they want competitive balance. Life isn’t fair, but games should be. The main reason so many people gravitated towards this game was to break from the old MMO mold that the dedicated and hardcore were and always would be the winner, they would get the most out of the game…those that have things to do in RL…well when it comes to MMOs are usually the losers.

Now, this one time event wasn’t for the dedicated hardcore…but it was based on luck, no matter where you are or your timezone. It asked you to drop whatever you were doing in RL to play a videogame. I just have a problem with it, I live in America, central time and I usually play the game at around 7, 5pm pacific time. This is not by ‘Choice’.

I just think they should have at least done a one day 24 hour event. One day 24 hour event where you can only open the chest once account wise. Apparently I missed a pretty awesome event…and I guess if they continue to do events like this I should just not play because there is a good chance that I’m going to miss most of the story and big stuff that happens in the game.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Baselerd.4921

Baselerd.4921

Getting an exotic is not losing. It sucks for people who got DC’ed, but if some players got precursors (not me) that shouldn’t matter for those who didn’t. That’s a very childish way of reasoning – always wanting something better than your peers. The fundamental issue here is that you didn’t get what you wanted – hate to brake the bad news to you but this is not an entitlement.

Just be happy Anet even bothers to make free new content for this ungrateful community.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Persephone.5384

Persephone.5384

I like the points people pointed out so far, but I would like to add something. I liked the big event with the ancient karka (despite the lag). My biggest problem with this was the timing of the event. I live in Europe. The event started here at 21:00 on Sunday. Because I work every weekday I (and a lot of my friends with me) was not able to finish the event. The perfect time (12:00 midday) was chosen for America. Because the makers of the game want the Americans to be first to try the event, the rest of the world gets crappy timing. This is far out the most annoying thing I encountered this event. It would be nice that the next time a good starting time is chosen for different time zones. This would make it more fun and entertaining to play. If events only take in account the wishes of American players, it could be they will be the only ones left after a while… I wonder if this is what Guild Wars wants?

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Mastruq.2463

Mastruq.2463

By your definition I am in the loser category, thanks for judging. You couldnt be more wrong though, I’m happy with last nights event (I took part but got no loot to speak of) and the only thing souring my enjoyment of the event after the fact is the self-entitled loot envy on this forum.

What gets me is that there are real complaints (you mention them too, connectivity and time zones) that get drowned out by all the “moar loot” whining. I am afraid Anet will focus on the loudest complaints, provide better loot with the next event while still screwing over the oceanic players or neglecting performance planning. Those two points should be the only focus of complaint and not how the guy next to you had a precursor and you didnt.

in The Lost Shores

metaverse.6821

Getting an exotic is not losing. It sucks for people who got DC’ed, but if some players got precursors (not me) that shouldn’t matter for those who didn’t. That’s a very childish way of reasoning – always wanting something better than your peers. The fundamental issue here is that you didn’t get what you wanted – hate to brake the bad news to you but this is not an entitlement.

Just be happy Anet even bothers to make free new content for this ungrateful community.

No, losing is not experiencing the event at all. You don’t seem to understand that.

They made the content and some of us just didn’t get to experience it. To top it off, those that did get to experience made a good chunk of profit…

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Zwert.2468

Zwert.2468

Event time is bad verry varry bad you know some ppl in Europ still got jops on monday morning.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Zantesuken.5318

Zantesuken.5318

What is worse, while ANet is producing new content (which is buggy, look at P1 and P2 of this event) old content still isn’t working. We’re all losing out, save those few people who have made vast sums of gold with their lucky precursors.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: neoxide.7320

neoxide.7320

It is understood, by anyone that is maybe 12 years old that life isn’t fair. Some people are born beautiful and get handed everything to them. Some people are born into terrible situations. We could go on all day about how and why life isn’t fair…

But games…games are escapism. Studies show that people play games mostly to take a break from their real life. Whatever their real life is, everyone has issues and games are a break from that.

That’s why people always want games to be fair, they want competitive balance. Life isn’t fair, but games should be. The main reason so many people gravitated towards this game was to break from the old MMO mold that the dedicated and hardcore were and always would be the winner, they would get the most out of the game…those that have things to do in RL…well when it comes to MMOs are usually the losers.

Now, this one time event wasn’t for the dedicated hardcore…but it was based on luck, no matter where you are or your timezone. It asked you to drop whatever you were doing in RL to play a videogame. I just have a problem with it, I live in America, central time and I usually play the game at around 7, 5pm pacific time. This is not by ‘Choice’.

I just think they should have at least done a one day 24 hour event. One day 24 hour event where you can only open the chest once account wise. Apparently I missed a pretty awesome event…and I guess if they continue to do events like this I should just not play because there is a good chance that I’m going to miss most of the story and big stuff that happens in the game.

TL;DR except the first line. This is a game however it is a good example of a crucial problem with some of society of how some people will not accept anything less than what others got, in some cases earned, in other cases given.

My point is that ANET should not cave in to the people complaining that they deserve things because others achieved them. At first the excuse was that precursors were simply too expensive and unrealistic to acquire which can be debated. Now that ANET has made them significantly easier to acquire and virtually given them away to a lucky fifth of the people who showed up, there are people now demanding to be given precursors to everyone, or no one at all (but really everyone because I want one plzzz).

It’s a shame.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: drifter.8453

drifter.8453

Heres a thought. Drop the whole RNG system for everything.

RNG=Random Number Generator

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Fiontar.4695

Fiontar.4695

There should not have been a chance for a precursor for the event. The OP is right, it’s a hugely disproportionate reward for the event and just creates a huge amount of resentment in the player base for those that did get one.

Also, yeah, the final event was already frustrating enough with all the issues. It was made even more so due to the fact that 95% of all kills produced no XP and no Loot for most people. The participation thresholds for XP/Loot need to be completely adjusted for events that have 50-100 people attacking each mob. I believe the normal threshold is 5% of a mobs HP done as damage in order to get XP/Loot. Obviously, that doesn’t work when there are 50-100 people! It’s likely that for most mobs, no one got XP/Loot!

Add it to the list of ways the event was flawed/broken.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: AFRDZAK.4710

AFRDZAK.4710

I get that people are upset. But here’s the thing. One time event is one time event. By being a one time event, it made it epic.

Everyone knew for weeks when this event would occur. Some could make it, some couldn’t. Some were able to arrange their schedules, some could not. That’s life.

I do feel for those who participated but got DC’d…or those who could not actually get into the game. Something should be done for those people.

But from a loot perspective; randomized loot is randomized loot. I didn’t get a precursor, and I don’t feel like I got shafted….because I know that randomized loot is randomized loot. I can’t even use the exotics I got. But thems the breaks. Instead of being upset that I didn’t get great loot, I’m happy for those who did. My standard reward of an accessory and 20 item bag are plenty. The additional loot was icing on the cake…albeit not the icing I prefer!

This is an MMO without a sub. An MMO that is cranking out content with no sub. And some people are complaining and asking for rewards for something that they never even attempted to participate in. Or are upset because they didn’t get as good of loot as someone else.

The only ones who have a legitimate complaint are those who tried to participate, but could not actually log in due to the servers being bombarded and those who were participating, but got DC’d…and by the time they got back in, the event was over.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I like the points people pointed out so far, but I would like to add something. I liked the big event with the ancient karka (despite the lag). My biggest problem with this was the timing of the event. I live in Europe. The event started here at 21:00 on Sunday. Because I work every weekday I (and a lot of my friends with me) was not able to finish the event. The perfect time (12:00 midday) was chosen for America. Because the makers of the game want the Americans to be first to try the event, the rest of the world gets crappy timing. This is far out the most annoying thing I encountered this event. It would be nice that the next time a good starting time is chosen for different time zones. This would make it more fun and entertaining to play. If events only take in account the wishes of American players, it could be they will be the only ones left after a while… I wonder if this is what Guild Wars wants?

They time the event based on the time when the highest number of players are online. Thats straight from the mouth of the developers on at least 2 occassions that I’ve seen. They look at the data of when the highest number of players is commonly active, and thats the time they set for the events.

Its not favoritism, its a simple issue of catering to a majority, the largest player count they can get at any one time. Its just that said timing favors a certain group of players who make up that majority.

The largest number of players are in the US, so obviously the time when the highest number of players is active is likely to coincide with a US timezone. If a majority of the playerbase is in the US and a majority of those players is on at a certain time, thats going to be the time where the highest number of total players is active. And thats the time they base the events on.

While changing the timing of the event to “primetime” in other timezones like GMT might seem fair from a certain perspective, its a false fairness, because they aren’t basing the events on one timezone intentionally, or even one specific group of people. They aren’t catering to the Americans specifically. Its pure numbers, when they can hit the largest number of players at any one given time. Not in terms of groups based on country / continent (Americans, Europeans, Australians, ect) but in terms of the entire playerbase as a single large mass, and how they can catch the largest number of that overall population.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Fiontar.4695

Fiontar.4695

TL;DR except the first line. This is a game however it is a good example of a crucial problem with some of society of how some people will not accept anything less than what others got, in some cases earned, in other cases given.

My point is that ANET should not cave in to the people complaining that they deserve things because others achieved them. At first the excuse was that precursors were simply too expensive and unrealistic to acquire which can be debated. Now that ANET has made them significantly easier to acquire and virtually given them away to a lucky fifth of the people who showed up, there are people now demanding to be given precursors to everyone, or no one at all (but really everyone because I want one plzzz).

It’s a shame.

I normally tend to agree with your view on the general issue, but I think the one time nature of this event tips the balance. One time events should never have something like a chance for a precursor attached. People who can’t make the one time event window are already understandably disappointed, it made much, much worse when you learn that there was a chance for a precursor item for completion.

Also, I suspect that the precursors were awarded on a pure RNG roll, which sets up the situation where someone joining the event for the last ten minutes can get a precursor, while someone that made it through the entire 3 to 3 1/2 hour buggy/laggy slog walks away with out one.

Not to mention that some people lucky enough to be on a shard that completed the event earlier than other shards were able to re-log until they found another overflow with the event still going on in order to loot the chest more than once!

Just another amplifier to the multitude of issues that degraded or ruined this event for many. Just a really, really poor job all around, from event design, to event programming to event Quality Assurance. Any game developer would rightly hang their heads in shame over this very flawed event, but I know I expect much, much more from Arenanet!

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Vuce.7982

Vuce.7982

Great OP. That said it’s not the whole precursor/loot thing that bugs me about this whole situation. I’d rather have to work for my pre than have it handed to me and the whole challenge of attaining it gone. The thing that really pissed me off that the simple fact that I could not take part in an event that is suppose to be part of a huge change to the future of the lore of the game. I’ve missed out on that experience and will probably never have a chance to experience it.

A lot of people missed out on important game content due to the shortsightedness on ANets part.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Nephele.5063

Nephele.5063

This was kind of a poor way to bomb the precursor market. Anet could have just sent a chest in the mail to anyone who did lost shores stuff at any point during the weekend. That would have been a lot better IMO. The way they did it some people missed out and some ran 2-3 times with alts.

Next time just do like the end Halloween thing where you show up any time during a 24 hour window and get your chest with rewards. One time per account only, though.

Oh and please no more RNG giveaways on extremely valuable items. Instead of precursors for the lucky ones, just give everyone reasonably valuable items. Like the 20 slot bags, those were nice.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Apocalypse.5239

Apocalypse.5239

ya it sucks i miss the event. so now i have to farm for the gold to get a 200g – 300g precursor aka Dusk. as for the rest of the event’s for the chest, all i get is Blues and Greens and sometimes one rare I’m starting to give up on the events with chest most of the time i get 2 too 3 fps in the fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwQdM-J1TM4
Only if you want to watch.
lvl 80 Charr Warrior part of Twin.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: TWMagimay.9057

TWMagimay.9057

But I didn’t buy Real World 2, did I?

Anyway…I can generally get over a lot of things…poor loot…bad lag…and all the frustration that comes with it….but the one thing that bugs me about this event and I just don’t understand is…GW2 was oversold at release(as in, they sold copies to more peopel than the servers could accommodate). Nothing wrong with that as long as you don’t design an event that tries to get everybody online at the same time when you know very well that your severs simply can’t deal with it. My fiancé logged in from the start, I was a bit late. By the time I could get online…the log in server was apparently down. A few mins later he dced and we were both locked out of the game for 10-15min. After that we simply stopped trying and called it a day….then we found out what we missed due to no fault of our own…and we both hated it….

in The Lost Shores

metaverse.6821

It’s a shame.

No this is a game and should not be compared to real life where it is much much much worse. Because in real life you could be born into a family worth billions of dollars or you could be born in a third world country or into a situation of war. So no this is not really close so I am saying to say “Life isn’t fair.” and compare it to a game is a bit silly. Life isn’t fair, everyone knows that….but this is a game and people expect some fairness within it. That’s why PVP forums are always complaining about nerfs and buffs. People expect their online games to be fair and fun mostly.

People don’t want to be reminded about how fortunate or unfortunate people are, but yeah…I attended two out of the three events…but because I could not make the final one (Saturday-Sundays can be busy social days Anet…) then meh I guess you just miss the event. I attended these events with the expectations that the reward would not be much. So I attended the first two with the thought that not much would be given to me and going into this that it would be nice to experience the story of the world.

I’m not mad at anyone for getting anything, I’m just disappointed that I won’t get to do the event. I’m not really chasing after legendaries either, so I could care less about precursor, I really just wanted to do the event.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Funky.4861

Funky.4861

The event was epic in the sense that it had epic lag and epic zergs fighting each other and that was pretty much it.

I went in on my 59 mesmer just to see if i could handle it (mostly, yes as in not one-shotted apart from special attacks). That single fact shafted me a lot, as i couldn’t equip the tools to mine the orichalcum or ancient trees, got virtually no exp or loot at all (apart from killing normal mobs) and the exotics and rares i got were beneath my level (rare) and lvl62 (exo).

Yet i put in the same time and effort as Joe Bloggs next to me who got 2 Forge-only exo’s, or his friend who got a precursor. If i do the same thing as someone else, i expect the equivalent reward; the chest basically said ‘here, have something worth a couple of hundred gold’ to person A, and ‘here have something worth a couple of gold’ to person B. Precursors should not have been in the drop table at all.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: glacialphoenix.3160

glacialphoenix.3160

Electro.4173

Its not favoritism, its a simple issue of catering to a majority, the largest player count they can get at any one time. Its just that said timing favors a certain group of players who make up that majority.

It also means the same people get shafted, over and over and over again – which doesn’t particularly engender goodwill towards a company. Yes, one-time events are going to be catered to the time period in which most people can make it, but that doesn’t address the issue that is having a one-time event in the first place.

Some people are angry that they didn’t get precursors from the chest, yes, but a good many are unhappy that they couldn’t get the chest or participate in the event at all.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Asumita.2174

Asumita.2174

Am I glad I got something out of the chest? Of course I am. Would I have run the event if Anet had said “There will be no loot at the end”? Yes, I would have. I do not feel like a loser because I am still having to farm for my precursor. I think it’s great the prices are down. I think it’s great some people got some nice stuff. Better luck to me and others next time.

Well, to some people, doing the same amount of work and getting nothing is not fair. It’s like someone asking you and your friends to do some paid work. Your friends get paid but you get nothing. How fair is that? Would you shake it off and say, “better luck next time”? If you do, you are a really nice guy, and I would hire you

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: dissection.9482

dissection.9482

Together, these two factors created a lot of losers.

In your definition the losers only exists because they are not winning.

I am a winner, yay yay!!! ;D

No, seriously, did you lose somehing? Its a difference between losing and not winning

I thereby complain that I am a loser in this game because I cannot find the time to grind much. Therefore those that have the time to play all day or pay money which i dont have for legendaries are the winners. This is highly unfair and I want compensation for not being able to play this game for the time i would need to farm precursors and stuff like the guys without jobs or lives do!

cynism off

realism on:

Mommy! That kid got a lollipop! I want one, too!!! waaaaahhhhh!!! =(

(edited by dissection.9482)

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: GeoX.5046

GeoX.5046

I do not agree
People Anet is giving you an opportunity to get a precursor by completing these events
Its a very small chance to get one, but its still a chance
If you don’t get one, you still get some pretty awesome stuff….
to top it all of, if your going for a precursor, great news they all went down about 100g, so now you have to farm less to get yours.
And quite frankly, whoever said they got nothing is lying…i know for a fact everyone got a 20 slot bag and an exotic accessory, and you probably got 2 exotics on top of that. How is that nothing?!?!
We all won, weather we were able to attend the event or not, it was an alright event, had it not been for the lag issues, it would have been a great event. Playing the event for me was reward enough, get an exotic, was icing on the cake.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: manaleak.8450

manaleak.8450

I tried to see it from the OP’s point of view, but I just can’t.

First of all, there are many games that hold one time events, they are not forcing you to attend them, they are optional.

Second, the whole ‘winners and losers’ thing, that is ridiculous, you’re just throwing this around because you felt entitled to a precursor and you didn’t get one. That is the effects of random chest content. If this was such a problem for you, you should have been complaining since day 1 about drops.

Third, precursors from a chest is not unheard of. Ever been to eternal battlegrounds? Yeah, there is a chest there that also has a high chance at the precursors.

Quit your crying, you just sound like a entitled child.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Myrdreth.6829

Myrdreth.6829

Thanks for this thread, zzled. I feel the same. The happy feeling I got because we all defeated the ancient karka dissappeared rather fast after everyone posted about their rewards. My rewards were so disappointing, it’s not even funny anymore(light and medium armor for my Guardian. Haha.) :(

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Xetelian.9278

Xetelian.9278

Love getting rifles on my Guardian and level 78 exotic ones too.

Why does the loot table hate me?

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: deviller.9135

deviller.9135

I really dont care with what item people got from the event. Just congrats to them who got precursor or got sth worth some gold.

This one time event (especially the final one) should held on weekend (which are free time for majority of people) for all part of the world (Saturday in America, Sunday in Euro, Asia, Africa, and Australia) >>> if Anet do not want this one time big event run multiple times.

(edited by deviller.9135)

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Lucky Thirteen X.4210

Lucky Thirteen X.4210

I’m a LOSER and I’m mad as HELL.

Ok, not really, but I am still sad about the end of the event where I got jack. QQ tears

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: DidYouSeeThat.1280

DidYouSeeThat.1280

I don’t mind them rewarding good loot for an event especially if it drops precursers to a much better price because paying 400g for one is just stupid. However I mind that they completely screw anyone who is not able to attend the event. It should be a 1 time lootable chest and an event that happens around every 6 hours just so people from all time zones can have an actual chance to attend the event instead of just giving everyone who can’t a big F U better luck next time.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Asum.4960

Asum.4960

As i already wrote in the Lost Shores feedback thread, i fully agree.

My reward for the event after selling everything (since what i got was all useless to me) was less than 1 gold.
A friend of mine actually did the last stage of the event on 4 characters (he has four 80s) due to overflow servers being behind, joining in on people still doing the event via the join party members zone function, opening 4 chests – and he was extremely lucky, getting pretty much all the most valuable Precursors, including the Greatswords, and Dusk on two characters, making him around 600 – 800 gold (if you believe me, or if this story is true is absolutely irrelevent, it’s possible, and statistically actually very likely to happen with the numbers of players in mind).
While I’m very happy for him, I’m not so much for me.

Thats over sixhundred times my reward.

WHAT?

I always respected ArenaNet for being fair, and creating a even playing field for their players and customers, making skill and effort and only thing counting.

Now we have gambling boxes all over a Cash Shop, and random drops devaluating months of playing time (one or very few random drop(s) being worth more than you can acquire in months of playing, or even grinding).

Sorry ArenaNet, but thats not ANet, thats not Guild Wars, and thats not why I’m playing your games.
I already had that in every greedy cash shop free to play asia grinder i quit playing while i was waiting for this game to come out for five years.
While I’m far from comparing GW2 to one of those, it’s getting rapidly closer – and even the association turns me off the game.

Why should i put the effort down to “grind” another 3 months just to get the armor skin i want, when I’m already getting laughed at by people playing the game since 2 weeks, getting 100+ gold for doing nothing more, but much less than i did?

Where’s the achievement, the rewarding feeling for me when i finally get to this armor after all the hard work (which isn’t fun, i already have work when i NOT play, i don’t need to do that just to get this T3 armor skin also), when everybody and their dog already got it for doing nothing but playing the same event i did, and simply opening the same chest i did?

You managed to devaluate everything i, and many unlucky others, did, with the loot table of one chest.

Gratulations…

let’s see where this is going for me in GW2.

After playing GW for over 5 years, always having fun, and pretty much never feeling treated unfair (or at leats not much), it would be really sad to see GW2 dying for me personally, because there may just be no motivation left to put pointless effort into the game.
After all i kind of grew up with Guild Wars and ANet.

This is probably the first time i have to criticise you guys at ArenaNet majorly.
With everything else it was a case of “it’s their game, and their vision – so let’s see where they are going with it”.
But that’s not your guys vision. Thats not fun. It’s simply bad, and pure poison for the game and everything you stand for.
The easy way of RNG wins over a game once again as it seems…

/E:
The event was extremely fun, and one of the most exiting times i had in gaming, once the lagg was gone.
But as soon as i heard from precursor chest drops from guildmates, my heart stopped and i begun to worry.
As it turned out in the end, my worst expectations came true, overshadowing everything i have experienced in GW2 so far with pure negativity.

Not because it’s the end of the (GW2) world. But it may be the beginning of it, at least for me.

I can’t stand getting screwed over and over and over again by stupid RNG’s like in so many f2p’s before.
No random drop should overvalue months of playing – Period.

/E2:
This is not a case of “someone got something cool, and i didn’t”. I absolutely dislike the idea no matter if i “win” or “loose” in it.
What am i achieving by getting a super extreme valuable thing for doing nothing?
How is that fun?
And how is it fun to get only crap, while watching others getting rich for nothing?

While, as pointed out, RNG’s are necessary, you should never give them that much power.

(edited by Asum.4960)