Lost Shores: Creating Winners vs. Losers

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

Heres a thought. Drop the whole RNG system for everything.

RNG=Random Number Generator

do you have any idea how boring a game would be without RNG? think about it.. you kill a boar you always get a chunk of meat. you have to remove 90% of the crafting ingredients You’re not going to have a separate rock for each jewel and now with now RNG you can have one of them drop randomly now and then with every gathering action on a mineral and its unfeasible to have so many rock types. Everything would need to be pumped up in terms of requirements. You can no longer have a named exotic crafted using just 30 corrupted lodestones, it would be way too quick just kill 30 corrupted elemental so instead you’d require something like 500 of them. You’d also have to remove all cool drops from the game. You cant have a boss drop that named exotic you like else it would take 1/2 a day and you’d get all the gear you like and then what? why would you play the game?

Dropping rng might seem like a nice fix but I dont think it is, I think it would make the game worst not better personally!

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Rixiy.4285

Rixiy.4285

Very well posted OP. I completely agree, and this is what I have been trying to get across in my own posts. It’s disappointing enough to miss something fun in a game, but I’m already dreading the elitism that will come with the rewards from these events.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Noviere.7309

Noviere.7309

There shouldn’t have been any randomness to the reward. Period. Either scale rewards based on effort(ie: being there for all 2.5 hours gives you a better reward vs someone who was only there for the last 20 minutes), or make all rewards equal(ie: everyone gets a 20 slot bag and a back piece, and nothing more).

One way they could’ve done this is via a token system. At the conclusion of each of the events leading to the final fight, give everyone a token. Then have a vendor with a range of items costing different amounts of tokens, with the best costing the most.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Mastruq.2463

Mastruq.2463

Thanks for this thread, zzled. I feel the same. The happy feeling I got because we all defeated the ancient karka dissappeared rather fast after everyone posted about their rewards. My rewards were so disappointing, it’s not even funny anymore(light and medium armor for my Guardian. Haha.)

I dont even, so everything was ok, you were happy, but at the very end someone else got a shiny and you didnt? Well skritt, that attitude is why we cant have nice things.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Asum.4960

Asum.4960

Thanks for this thread, zzled. I feel the same. The happy feeling I got because we all defeated the ancient karka dissappeared rather fast after everyone posted about their rewards. My rewards were so disappointing, it’s not even funny anymore(light and medium armor for my Guardian. Haha.)

I dont even, so everything was ok, you were happy, but at the very end someone else got a shiny and you didnt? Well skritt, that attitude is why we cant have nice things.

Your theory seems to be fundamentally flawed.
How would having a different attitude given him a better reward?

I can’t see why you defend a system in which people a (very much) differently rewarded for doing the exact same thing?

And how is the wish for everybody getting nice things “the reason we can’t have nice things”?

Stinks like “i got high rewards for low effort and you got nothing, and i want to keep it that way, keeping me great, and you small”.

Well capitalist, that is the attitude why not everybody can have nice things, why we have a class society and people getting killed by war and diseases every day.

(edited by Asum.4960)

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: asobinin.5467

asobinin.5467

do you have any idea how boring a game would be without RNG? think about it.. you kill a boar you always get a chunk of meat. you have to remove 90% of the crafting ingredients You’re not going to have a separate rock for each jewel and now with now RNG you can have one of them drop randomly now and then with every gathering action on a mineral and its unfeasible to have so many rock types. Everything would need to be pumped up in terms of requirements. You can no longer have a named exotic crafted using just 30 corrupted lodestones, it would be way too quick just kill 30 corrupted elemental so instead you’d require something like 500 of them. You’d also have to remove all cool drops from the game. You cant have a boss drop that named exotic you like else it would take 1/2 a day and you’d get all the gear you like and then what? why would you play the game?

Dropping rng might seem like a nice fix but I dont think it is, I think it would make the game worst not better personally!

So grinding for hour’s end to farm mats are a fun game design? No thanks. Working towards legendary is good, but some of the requirements are just so ridiculous. I’m playing for fun, not to work inside a game. Grinding is a decade old concept to keep customers in games, and it’s a concept for subscription based game. It shouldn’t apply to games like GW, where you only pay for the box price. I think time has changed and Anet do away with this cheap concept. They got the core of the game right, so I do hope they iterate on it.

RNG has its place, but I don’t think they should apply for epic gears. In Ultima Online, they implemented a guaranteed drop system (I think that’s what it was called). It’s basically an RNG that keeps improving the chances every time you kill a boss. So say, the 1st round you have like 5% chance for loot. Next time you kill the boss, your chance for loot is increased to 10%, and so on so forth, that eventually you will be guaranteed a drop (and at such time, your chance for loot will get reset). The point of this system is to keep the RNG, but reward players still for playing the content if they didn’t get the drop. It’s a bummer not to get the drop, but you didn’t feel bad because you knew your effort wasn’t wasted. Just a thought…

Oh, and as for the epic loot in an one time event? Don’t do it…

in The Lost Shores

Asum.4960

RNG has its place, but I don’t think they should apply for epic gears. In Ultima Online, they implemented a guaranteed drop system (I think that’s what it was called). It’s basically an RNG that keeps improving the chances every time you kill a boss. So say, the 1st round you have like 5% chance for loot. Next time you kill the boss, your chance for loot is increased to 10%, and so on so forth, that eventually you will be guaranteed a drop (and at such time, your chance for loot will get reset). The point of this system is to keep the RNG, but reward players still for playing the content if they didn’t get the drop. It’s a bummer not to get the drop, but you didn’t feel bad because you knew your effort wasn’t wasted.

Such a good and easy system that it hurts my brain why ANet didn’t shipped the game with it as a core mechanic.
It’s simply a perfect fit for a game like GW2.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

You know, I’d be pissed if I played and didn’t get a chance to get to the chest because of a bug after playing for hours.

But I wouldn’t be pissed if my buddy got a precursor and I didn’t; MMO games have generally always had good loot vs bad loot, unless a drop from a particular creature always has the same thing.

So, it’s a part of the game play. I have no problem with it.

But this event was still bad… the timing and thus creating an exclusive nature, plus the lag, bugs, etc. I wasn’t able to play much because of RL issues – my problem – but the few times I was able to play, bugs prevented me from progressing, and this being a weekend only thing meant that the rare times I was able to play was essentially time wasted, as I was unable to progress, and the event would end before I could make another attempt.

So, loot issue is not an issue IMHO, but the game design of a single weekend event is. They should have at least made it a week long instead, so they could debug it and let everyone participate.

in The Lost Shores

Galen Grey.4709

So grinding for hour’s end to farm mats are a fun game design? No thanks. Working towards legendary is good, but some of the requirements are just so ridiculous. I’m playing for fun, not to work inside a game. Grinding is a decade old concept to keep customers in games, and it’s a concept for subscription based game. It shouldn’t apply to games like GW, where you only pay for the box price. I think time has changed and Anet do away with this cheap concept. They got the core of the game right, so I do hope they iterate on it.

RNG has its place, but I don’t think they should apply for epic gears. In Ultima Online, they implemented a guaranteed drop system (I think that’s what it was called). It’s basically an RNG that keeps improving the chances every time you kill a boss. So say, the 1st round you have like 5% chance for loot. Next time you kill the boss, your chance for loot is increased to 10%, and so on so forth, that eventually you will be guaranteed a drop (and at such time, your chance for loot will get reset). The point of this system is to keep the RNG, but reward players still for playing the content if they didn’t get the drop. It’s a bummer not to get the drop, but you didn’t feel bad because you knew your effort wasn’t wasted. Just a thought…

Oh, and as for the epic loot in an one time event? Don’t do it…

Thing is they already addressed this issue but essentially allowing you to gain what ever you need in multiple ways! going with the same example I gave corrupted lodestones. I can farm them off different mobs, I can also buy them using money which I can get doing Dynamic events from level 1 up to level 80 all earn me good money, WvW, Dungeons, Crafting, Playing the market etc… You dont have to grind to get the materials you need you just have to play the game which you’re going to do anyway right?

Even taking a legendary as an example it requires a bit of everything and like they said a billion times a legendary is a long term project yet people take it as something to start and finish ASAP, thats the problem in my opinion! If people dont get so fixed on the goal and simply enjoy the game and get the reward once they organically afford it there wouldnt be so much complaint about grinding! but if you focus on single items at a time such as say 2m karma that will seem like a big grind if done at a stretch. you can see that as 5000 level 80 events! totally a grind! but if on the other hand you forget about the goal and just play the game you’re going to finish daily achievements and than if you collect them you’ll need 260 of them to get those same 2m karma (collecting them because of karma boost) that in itself is 8 months! I played gw1 for years whats 8 months! and thats if you completely ignore the monthly achievement, which if you dont you can cut at least another 2 months of that! and at the same time you’re collecting the crafting materials needed, you can do the occasional dungeon etc… So at least for me the game becomes a grind if you make it a grind, I just play what I like and dont worry about how long its going to take me, corrupted staff looks better then my pearl stuff but its not any better anyway so whats the rush?

That being said I do like you’re idea of ever improving odds, nothing wrong with that

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Amaethon.8710

Amaethon.8710

I am also very dissatisfied with this event.

Çyhyraeth – Sylvari Elementalist – Order Of The Fallen Watch [EXEO] | Darkhaven

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Gotchaz.7865

Gotchaz.7865

I don’t see where people think you got min of 30gold worth of stuff. I checked the sword and dagger I got and it’s worth 4 total. The sword is a level 76 exotic? what’s up with that? I was a bit annoyed even some people in my guild got precursers that go for 300. I don’t think they should have been included in the loot table tbh. The scale between 5 gold and 300 is a bit much to swallow.

Beowulf-Defender of the JQ Realm and Warrior of the SF clan.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Bekkr.6192

Bekkr.6192

I agree with the OP and the bulk of the thread. Just adding my vote here. The whole thing has really dampened my enthusiasm for GW2, to be honest. Been playing other things this past week.

The last straw was standing around with a dozen others, waiting for that Asura NPC to “reset” so I could update my phase 1 and it never happening. I stood there through a few resets watching people come and go, but even though I had the map piece in my bag, it never updated for me. It got so boring I just logged off.

Overall a very poor event, from planning right through implementation, IMO.

Edit to say: now I’ve apparently missed some great opportunity because I couldn’t log on at 7am or whatever, which makes me want to play even less. If the aim of this event was creating a sense of missing out, they really nailed it.

The problem with the youth of today is that one is no longer part of it.
-Salvador Dali

(edited by Bekkr.6192)

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Stamen.9240

Stamen.9240

Well, I just missed the last event by maybe a half hour.

I am a Christian pastor and Sunday’s are like real life work days, they are both full & exhaustive. Feel bad for anyone that spent part of that time at church and feels like they had to make a choice… it was pretty simple choice for me and I am not bitter about it at all.

I do think that the OP is correct however. One-time events have natural winners and losers. And a one-time event on a Sunday will almost always be an automatic punishment for me because of my profession.

Cheers to all who obtained great stuff. I won’t be far behind you.

And Anet, overall I think the event was amazing and the new fractal dungeons big fun.

(edited by Stamen.9240)

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Oreoz.2573

Oreoz.2573

Forget the loot drops.

WHY are these events running on such a short time frame?
WHY is Anet crippling themselves when bugs occur BECAUSE they have such a short time frame to work in?
WHY can’t a 3 hour+ final DE run multiple times over the course of a day or two?
WHY is it hard to please as many players as possible by simply making it last longer?
WHERE is the monetary gain on their end for containing these things to only a weekend? Sure you’ll make more money off the TP from players feeling rushed but you’ll make just as much if not more by extending the time in which you’re working.

WHY
WHY
WHY

WHY are decisions being made that cripple developer and community alike?

MORE time would’ve allowed them to find, isolate and fix those NPC bugs.
MORE time would’ve allowed players to actually figure out what was going on without being rushed and minimal “hand holding” in game would’ve been forgiven.
MORE time would’ve allowed for a patch to speed up the trebuchet construction process for servers/overflows who still hadn’t moved into phase 3.
MORE time would’ve allowed players to participate in the final event.

Again, WHY is Anet crippling us and themselves by working in these short time frames?
It’s free to play so concurrent users doesn’t matter.
The gem store items will still be bought and money will still be made if it’s a weekend or a week long.

I DO NOT understand the logic other than to say it’s for lore/immersion reasons but all you have to do is take one look at any of the open world bosses and you’ll see that that can’t possibly be the reason.

This is the question that needs to be answered above all others.
Loot.
bugs.
lag.

None of that would’ve mattered REMOTELY as much if Anet had simply given themselves and us time to GET THINGS DONE.

So what’s the logic?

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Barfoi.9537

Barfoi.9537

I don’t like the notion that everyone should be a winner. This attitude is a real issue with people these days because in the real world, not everyone is a winner.

I completely agree. Many believe themselves to be “self-entitled” — deserving just as much as everyone else — but in reality, and as you’ve already stated, not everyone is a winner. It’s usually “earned” — persistence, hard-work, etc. — but in this situation, a pseudo-random algorithm determines if you’re a “winner” or “loser” (in terms of loot, that-is) — regardless of effort — and I believe that causes disappointment in many. In actuality, providing everyone with a chance at a pre-cursor probably caters to the “everyone is a winner” down-fall of our society, and not the opposite.

Neither my wife nor myself were fortunate-enough to have any drop ourselves; it was disappointing, but “no biggie”. If we had a greater need for gold, then I imagine the disappointment would have been more significant — especially when seeing so many have better outcomes. :P

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: HundredthMonkey.8541

HundredthMonkey.8541

In before the merge.

I agree completely with the OP

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: asobinin.5467

asobinin.5467

snipped for brevity

WHY
This is the question that needs to be answered above all others.
Loot.
bugs.
lag.

None of that would’ve mattered REMOTELY as much if Anet had simply given themselves and us time to GET THINGS DONE.

So what’s the logic?

I think Anet is under the notion that such 1 time event creates buzz. I think they’re fooling themselves to think that such 1 time events are “epic”. On the contrary, they aren’t epic at all. It just creates all the above mentioned problems. What’s epic though, is the amount of angry players they have created in such a short time.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Cina Reas.6938

Cina Reas.6938

ok honestly as long as you looted the chest you won….the minimum you could get out of it is 30g worth of items..the max is 200g or so…if everyone got it it’d ruin the market as well so the random factor has to be there. What upsets me is that some of us didnt get to do it at all and some did it over 3 times, ruining the market ultimately.

But still your post is excellent. I dont think a one time event, or any type of event for that matter should give the most valuable items on the game. People would’ve been happy with this event just for the bag and trinket since they are very much worth it. The extra rare things should stay extra rare…though I’d support making dungeons and such more rewarding.

Also, the ultimate solution if you are going to have a one time event and dont want people to abuse and farm it because you are giving a big reward is simple: instances that can only be entered once per character/account…simple…otherwise scratch this idea of a one time event.

Someone posted somewhere else that a very good way to execute this type of event was the way they did the halloweens back piece, it was an interesting quest, reasonably long and had a reasonably good reward (at least back then since it was harder to get back items than it is now). And everyone got a chance to do it. Didnt hurt the economy because the reward was soulbound.

WRONG

My reward: 2 lvl 36 rares, 2 level 65 exotics and the Account bound items. These do not add up to ONE gold. This event was grossly unfair.

But, reporting this unfairness to Arenanet awarded me the highly sort after ‘Minor Email of Tough’.

Grind Wars 2; the game that ate my brain.

(edited by Cina Reas.6938)

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Nuoper.7503

Nuoper.7503

The only mistake is i live in wrong time zone. A original sin.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Rizzo.4012

Rizzo.4012

Very well said, i am one of those that missed the one time event cause i had to work the sunday till 6pM EST so i missed it by 2 or 3 hours, now i have been on guild wars since factions came out and never missed an event, till now.

I am disappointed that they didnt run it for the day like they have in all other events in guild wars. Even the Mad king was looped on after his grand entrance & his mission was repeatable.

I feel left out and a “loser” as you put it for not getting the ability to play the final event. They really screwed the players on this one, for those that got it good for you enjoy what you got.

I now know what it feels like to miss an event, it really sucks, especially after hearing what the drops were, just plain SUCKS.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Oreoz.2573

Oreoz.2573

As disappointed as I am in this event I think we can all agree on two things for the long term and I think they’re the only two things that matter.

1. The Fractals. Amazing. Buggy sometimes but due to it’s permanent status those issues have time to be resolved (unlike OTHER things).

2. Despite your unhappiness with not being able to participate in the finale or mine, the fact is that precursors have come down significantly in the TP. Dusk and Dawn are still the most expensive at about 200-250g but most of the rest are sitting anywhere from 100g to 150g which is a much more reasonable amount to work towards while you save up your other Mats.

As a side note someone has Volcanus up for about 600g and Foefire’s Essence for like 450g. Riiiiiiiiight. lol

Those weps aren’t worth much more than 100-120g since that’s what you’d spend buying the lodestones for either recipe all at once. lol

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: MAGpie.7962

MAGpie.7962

Different timezone. So, stayed up pretty late to play, deciding, “well, you know, it is a one time thing, I can take a one-day knock at work and suffer through it.”

So, when you sit past midnight on a working night, repeatedly trying to log on… Yeah, not only do you get a little angry that night, but the next day when you are pulling hard amp’s, yeah, it boils up a little. Then, you hear about all these exotics that people got… and I could not even log on despite waiting up!

Come on!

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: BurningCrow.9816

BurningCrow.9816

Everybody is not a winner. Thats just how it is. Are you the kind of person that believes kids sports should have no losers? I hate that belief.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Barfoi.9537

Barfoi.9537

Everybody is not a winner. Thats just how it is. Are you the kind of person that believes kids sports should have no losers? I hate that belief.

Likewise, that’s just not “how it is”. Parallel to this scenario, the “winner” between teams would be decided by a pseudo-random number generator, and not the persistence and team-work of either side. The loser, thereafter, would presumably find it unfair for some strange reason.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: maaprid.2168

maaprid.2168

Good post, I kinda feel the same way, but not for the same reason. (Kinda)

The game is RUINED but not for the same reasons you stated.
The game is ruined because of the mentality the GW2 playerbase has turned into.

No i didn’t get a precursor, and I don’t care really, it made the items’ prices fall drastically.

I am more upset that I spent 2.5 hours doing an event that I HATED and in the end myself and other players said “Oh cool we got awesome rewards, so doing that God awful event was worth it!” (The event in and of itself was fine, it just took too long. Maybe an hour tops would have been fine).

THEN it slapped me in the face…I just had my FIRST WoW experience in GW2. I never enjoyed raiding week after week, but then that loot item finally dropped and magically made the whole thing seem worth it.

I was just bragging to my friends (who are hardcore WoW’ers and who also played the free trial this weekend and were extremely surprised at how much they enjoyed it) about Map chat and how I rarely if ever see any name calling and all the stuff you put up with in WoW. They were in disbelief at how well the community gets along. I think now that is broken.

TLDR
We went from a community who expected entertaining gameplay to being pacified by loot. We now see things like “that player was a noob”, “We need gear score and inspect options” and how players already feel like they are being left behind. Those things belong in another games forum, not ours.

(edited by maaprid.2168)

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Nox Aeterna.2965

Nox Aeterna.2965

minimum 30g…

Are people insane??

I opened that 2 times … tops i made 5/6g from it all together… so 30g minimum/time ? Nope … not true at all.

Gear Grind: Confirmed – Searching New MMO: Found – Changing MMO: Waiting Launch

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Rixiy.4285

Rixiy.4285

Please stop with the political life comparisons. It’s not the same thing. It’s a video game, a form of entertainment, much like a book or a movie. Everyone should get to win because it’s an experience you paid for.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Gombar.7324

Gombar.7324

“We went form a community who expected entertaining gameplay to being pacified by loot. We now see things like “that player was a noob”, “We need gear score and inspect options” and how players already feel like they are being left behind. Those things belong in another games forum, not ours.”

This is just the first step in a direction that we’ll be seeing more of after the introduction of the gear treadmill to the game, and the new dungeon….I had hoped that it was to be left behind in some of the other games and leave GW2 and its playerbase out of it. Sadly, it have not turned out to be the truth….

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: cainejw.7142

cainejw.7142

I’m actually amazed to see so many people so miserable because a few others got better loot after all of the complaining and the uproar caused by event loot being too poor.

I really hope the developers do not listen to the people here demanding no RNG or constant loot equality. I may hate the grind that GW2 can be, but I think it’s great that people got better loot than I did. It means that the loot was there at all.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Asumita.2174

Asumita.2174

I thought the entire community was one big team. So if the team wins, everyone gets rewarded equally. That’s the whole point of making it a one time event right? In fact that was the selling point of this game in the first place. You do your part, you get your part of the cut. Sounds fair to me. The disparity of the rewards is proof that the wow formula is where all mmo ends up. That’s why people grind. But as we all know, you can’t do that with one time events. That’s why people are pissed. Well, it would help if this one time event was not a “one time beta testing”, which adds to another dimension of getting pissed.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

One time events should only be run once per account, this way the loot quality can be bumped up and it won’t hurt the TP. Yes, there is a probability factor with regards to what can be looted at the end of such an event, however, there are also several counter arguments why the loot is soo random; clearly mentioned several times herein.

The OP has made some valid points with regards to the win/loss ratio. ArenaNet has clearly described this to be a unique event and thus the point of a such an event, IMO, is such:

1) Bring players together to fight a common enemy.
2) Provide unique content.

There are several other points that could be included, however, the above two points sum up, what IMO are, reasons for introducing such events.

So now, taking these two points into consideration, then naturally at the end of an event there is the reward – loot. Majority of people will not deny that the primarly reason for doing such an event is obtaining the reward(s) at the end of it. Furthermore, people “hope” that the reward will be unique enough since this is a very unique event – which ArenaNet has clearly pointed out.

Then the biggest “loss”, which IMO should have been avoided, was to allow the loot to be randomly generated as it always is for any general event within the game. This, IMO, will hurt ArenaNet with regards to future event of such caliber. Why? Simply because people who were dissapointed previously might not want to go through a similar risk/reward scenario.

There are a lot of statistical variables that can be discussed herein with reagards to the risk/reward system used in this event, however, reading through this thread, the general consensus is that people are somewhat dissapointed with the quality of the loot they obtained from this event.

Regards,

D_R

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Shadoekin.3928

Shadoekin.3928

If RNG is fine, does that mean it’s ok to have a completed Legendary as a drop?

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Maximillian Greil.1965

Maximillian Greil.1965

I said this in another post, but I’ll say it again. They’ve already stated that precursors are WAY more valuable than intended. They want it to have a different feel when you obtain them. This is the first step in making precursors more accessible to people.

Secondly, getting a precursor is not an instant legendary. There’s still quite a bit of items you need.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: AlphaNeonic.1925

AlphaNeonic.1925

I’m actually amazed to see so many people so miserable because a few others got better loot after all of the complaining and the uproar caused by event loot being too poor.

I really hope the developers do not listen to the people here demanding no RNG or constant loot equality. I may hate the grind that GW2 can be, but I think it’s great that people got better loot than I did. It means that the loot was there at all.

I think one of the major issues is we, the players, we’re told time and time again that ArenaNet was against grinding. After you’ve finished world completion though, all that’s left PvE wise are cosmetic upgrades and new monthly content.

Okay, so you’ve finished everything the world has to offer, time to start working on that legendary.

BUT… Upgrading from your level 80 exotic weapon to a legendary is a massive jump that takes many times over what it took you to get to level 80. So instead of building legendary weapons around unique quests and content, they expect you to grind for hundreds of hours to get money for the precursor and hundreds of hours more to be able to actually craft it. Basically, do what you’ve already done a couple hundred more times. A massive grind.

What would have been cool to do, give out a precursor token for everything accomplished in the game. Jumping puzzle complete? Precursor Token. Dynamic event complete? Precursor Token. Pumpkin Carving Master? Precursor Token.

Once enough tokens have been accumulated, turn them in for a precursor of your choice. Even if you make it a high amount of tokens required, people are going to farm them how they choose and by doing things they enjoy. Not everyone wants to farm Plinx or run dungeons for hours a day. Yes it’s still grinding, but far better than what we have to do now.

Even better would be a long quest chain that builds lore around the precursor you’re going for.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Rieshaus.7486

Rieshaus.7486

The last weeks in Wow were very frustrating. Because I’m a nice person I handed a pair of heavy armour to a guildcollege with the start of the new raidcontent. His Equip wasn’t as got as mine.

And 4 Months in a row these pair BIS-shoes never dropped again. And I thought: “Jesus, here you go again, you have to be more selfish, roll with them, fight with them, SCREAM at them – but don’t give it just to them, stupid girl. But hey, soon there will be GW2, and there is no RNG where you have to decide. Then everybody has the same Equip, and they just look different, depending how much time they have in the game. Just like in good, old GW1. This will be heaven, yeah.”

And here I am, well at least, I haven’t decide. But it is like Heaven, then god but his friendly hand on this person – and this not.
I’d play mostly time WvW in GW2, til last week, well, this is being a loser, since release. Loser against PVE. Culling, Lag, less Loot, Loot where u just walk over, horrible looking Armour, taking XP/Karma, and never put something good in. Not even a sentence in the last patchnotes about Wvw. Like the last few months.
Okay, Anet, thx, I maybe be a stupid girl, but not so stupid. And now, with my little, tiny, small money I’ve to pay the prices, that more people can efford now? This is the point, that many people don’t get. Maybe the precur-whatsoever get cheaper? But what is with all the other things?

Well, I always said, GW2 will be my last MMO. And it is. I’m really, really tired from developers making bad, bad decisions. And in this event, there where many. Arenenet was my last hope. Well, I buy me a PS3

(300 € that don’t go in the Gem-Shop, muhaha, REVENGE!! Take that!)

Edit: I really like the post, OP. It’s never got, to put a community apart. I don’t know why Anet doesn’t know that. But GW1-Anet isn’t GW2-Anet, right?

*english not my mothertongue btw….

(edited by Rieshaus.7486)

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: cainejw.7142

cainejw.7142

Personally, I don’t want a Legendary handed to me in everything I do. I would rather farm for it in a rare instance than be handed tokens for passing gas.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Ekove.4586

Ekove.4586

RNG is necessary indeed, it adds a lot more dimension to the game. Saying it’s unfair and everyone should’ve gotten a precurser is utterly ridiculous because in that case they’d be worthless and nobody would care about getting them…I have multiple issues against this event:

1. The reward value range was huge, it’s between 20g and 300g…..I’d understand if the range was something like 20g-50g…you know some people are supposed to be luckier than others so it creates excitment when you are one of the few lucky people. But the difference between the lucky and unlucky people in this event was huge.

2. Even if I accept the fact the value range was huge, and I already said I support RNG, Some people got to run this event multiple times while some of us got to run it 0 times….Hey, make the chest drops random, that’s fair, that’s fun, that’s how MMO’s markets are created….but at least every player who participated in this event should have been given the chance to open the exact number of chests and have as many lottery tickets.

3. The argument is not that we did not understand it’s a one day/one time event. But the one day thing since it didn’t last a full day, and the one time thing is not true either cause people got to do it multiple times. This issue was not clear; we knew the event was yesterday, I am not here defending those who couldn’t make it yesterday at all. I am here to speak for those of us who made it yesterday, the promised event day, spent hours disconnecting or trying to log in for nothing…and those of us who logged in only to find the event already over. You were online at the right day weren’t we?

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: OmniPotentes.4817

OmniPotentes.4817

The loot drop distribution in GW2 is no different than that of GW1. Remember the mini polar bear event during wintersday dropping during a first attempt while others who grinded the holiday event thousands of times in hopes of getting one came out empty handed? Remember rare items like a Crystaline sword or a Voltaic Spear dropping during an instance while the rest only got garbage drops? Nothing has changed.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: kaahzvi.3469

kaahzvi.3469

The loot drop distribution in GW2 is no different than that of GW1. Remember the mini polar bear event during wintersday dropping during a first attempt while others who grinded the holiday event thousands of times in hopes of getting one came out empty handed? Remember rare items like a Crystaline sword or a Voltaic Spear dropping during an instance while the rest only got garbage drops? Nothing has changed.

Off topic – but thank you for the nostalgia. Man do I miss GW1…

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: zombyturtle.5980

zombyturtle.5980

If I run a dungeon and fail to get the rare drop I can rerun it over until I receive this rare drop.
If I play the lottery and lose, I can play again the next week and have another chance of winning
If I take part in the lost shores event and fail, I have failed forever with no chance of that event drop again.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Shadowwaka.1952

Shadowwaka.1952

Well all I have to say is that it is VERY agitating to nerd for 2+ hours, putting forth so much time and button pressing, only to get something worth 80 silver, while Mr./Mrs. ImsoluckyandShadowslucksucks comes out with something 200g+ It makes me feel ripped off to have put forth the same effort and all, only to have chance determine whether is was worth it or not.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Lionaeron.5724

Lionaeron.5724

haha way too inspire team-play arena net, what a joke. Also anyone feel like they are having fun yet!

Zerg>Skill.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Inaccordance.7910

Inaccordance.7910

Strong post. I agree. All of the rewards from the event were loaded in at the end. If you completed all other parts of the even, yet were unable to attend the final due to scheduling conflicts, connection issues, etc., you lost out. Someone else asked, “What exactly did you lose?” This is it. You lost out on the same opportunity afforded other players.

The question becomes, should the same opportunity be afforded to all players? I’m not sure about this one yet, personally, but ArenaNet seems to think the answer is no.

in The Lost Shores

Galen Grey.4709

I don’t see where people think you got min of 30gold worth of stuff. I checked the sword and dagger I got and it’s worth 4 total. The sword is a level 76 exotic? what’s up with that? I was a bit annoyed even some people in my guild got precursers that go for 300. I don’t think they should have been included in the loot table tbh. The scale between 5 gold and 300 is a bit much to swallow.

you forgot about the 20slot bag, the rune to craft a 20 slot bag on its own costs 10g

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Anakita Snakecharm.4360

Anakita Snakecharm.4360

No, seriously, did you lose somehing? Its a difference between losing and not winning

I did. My gains from Lost Shores did not equal my repair costs, because I got disconnected repeatedly and so my event progress was being lost every time I ended up in a different overflow. I ended up short quite a few silver what with the lag-related deaths.

Sorry that your rhetorical question isn’t so rhetorical.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Celesica.5790

Celesica.5790

The chance of getting these shinies should be available for everyone. However, it isn’t. Why? It’s a one-time event, and it’s optional. None of us here knows what the rewards are prior to the event. If people were aware, then maybe they can decide of whether to attend the event or not.

I wasn’t able to attend Phases 1 and 2 because those were around 4AM my timezone (I didn’t really bothered about them because the rewards were meh), but I was able to be in Phase 3. I didn’t really have a plan on attending it too due to work (it’s Monday morning my time), but when guildmates said some of them got precursors, and most of them got guaranteed 20 slot bags and a decent accessory, I know I had to set aside work for a while and do the event because “hey it’s my chance. This is just one time. I don’t have to farm for these stuff if ever I got them.” I didn’t know it’ll run for about 2.5 hours so yep, I set aside work for that.

Unfortunately, I was one of those who got disconnected at the last part. Never got the loot. Tried to do it once again, but then new build came up and they removed the events already. Was too late for me. Though it was disappointing, I’m still hoping for the compensation ANet said that they’re going to give to those who got dc’d.

But of course, I still feel so sorry for those who weren’t able to make it. They did miss something that’s quite bigtime.

in The Lost Shores

Asum.4960

RNG is necessary indeed, it adds a lot more dimension to the game. Saying it’s unfair and everyone should’ve gotten a precurser is utterly ridiculous because in that case they’d be worthless and nobody would care about getting them…I have multiple issues against this event:

1. The reward value range was huge, it’s between 20g and 300g…..I’d understand if the range was something like 20g-50g…you know some people are supposed to be luckier than others so it creates excitment when you are one of the few lucky people. But the difference between the lucky and unlucky people in this event was huge.

I don’t know where you got that numbers from, but I made around 1 gold after selling all my “rewards”.

A friend of mine did the event on multiple characters, being extremely lucky with the RNG every single time, he got nearly 800 gold.

So it’s not between 20 and 300 (which already would have been disgraceful), but 1 to 800.

So anyone, please tell me how it’s ok to give a RNG that much power, and how should i accept that someone got 800 times the reward i got, for doing the same content as i did?

And how should i ever be able to catch onto him? These lucky people would have to stop playing for years, leaving me behind playing every day to let me catch up, creating a even playing field again.

Because of one chest we both opened!

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Minami Kaori.2548

Minami Kaori.2548

As i already wrote in the Lost Shores feedback thread, i fully agree.

My reward for the event after selling everything (since what i got was all useless to me) was less than 1 gold.
A friend of mine actually did the last stage of the event on 4 characters (he has four 80s) due to overflow servers being behind, joining in on people still doing the event via the join party members zone function, opening 4 chests – and he was extremely lucky, getting pretty much all the most valuable Precursors, including the Greatswords, and Dusk on two characters, making him around 600 – 800 gold (if you believe me, or if this story is true is absolutely irrelevent, it’s possible, and statistically actually very likely to happen with the numbers of players in mind).
While I’m very happy for him, I’m not so much for me.

Thats over sixhundred times my reward.

WHAT?

I always respected ArenaNet for being fair, and creating a even playing field for their players and customers, making skill and effort and only thing counting.

Now we have gambling boxes all over a Cash Shop, and random drops devaluating months of playing time (one or very few random drop(s) being worth more than you can acquire in months of playing, or even grinding).

Sorry ArenaNet, but thats not ANet, thats not Guild Wars, and thats not why I’m playing your games.
I already had that in every greedy cash shop free to play asia grinder i quit playing while i was waiting for this game to come out for five years.
While I’m far from comparing GW2 to one of those, it’s getting rapidly closer – and even the association turns me off the game.

Why should i put the effort down to “grind” another 3 months just to get the armor skin i want, when I’m already getting laughed at by people playing the game since 2 weeks, getting 100+ gold for doing nothing more, but much less than i did?

Where’s the achievement, the rewarding feeling for me when i finally get to this armor after all the hard work (which isn’t fun, i already have work when i NOT play, i don’t need to do that just to get this T3 armor skin also), when everybody and their dog already got it for doing nothing but playing the same event i did, and simply opening the same chest i did?

You managed to devaluate everything i, and many unlucky others, did, with the loot table of one chest.

Gratulations…

let’s see where this is going for me in GW2.

After playing GW for over 5 years, always having fun, and pretty much never feeling treated unfair (or at leats not much), it would be really sad to see GW2 dying for me personally, because there may just be no motivation left to put pointless effort into the game.
After all i kind of grew up with Guild Wars and ANet.

This is probably the first time i have to criticise you guys at ArenaNet majorly.
With everything else it was a case of “it’s their game, and their vision – so let’s see where they are going with it”.
But that’s not your guys vision. Thats not fun. It’s simply bad, and pure poison for the game and everything you stand for.
The easy way of RNG wins over a game once again as it seems…

/E:
The event was extremely fun, and one of the most exiting times i had in gaming, once the lagg was gone.
But as soon as i heard from precursor chest drops from guildmates, my heart stopped and i begun to worry.
As it turned out in the end, my worst expectations came true, overshadowing everything i have experienced in GW2 so far with pure negativity.

Not because it’s the end of the (GW2) world. But it may be the beginning of it, at least for me.

I can’t stand getting screwed over and over and over again by stupid RNG’s like in so many f2p’s before.
No random drop should overvalue months of playing – Period.

/E2:
This is not a case of “someone got something cool, and i didn’t”. I absolutely dislike the idea no matter if i “win” or “loose” in it.
What am i achieving by getting a super extreme valuable thing for doing nothing?
How is that fun?
And how is it fun to get only crap, while watching others getting rich for nothing?

While, as pointed out, RNG’s are necessary, you should never give them that much power.

This one says it all.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

The quality of reward between players was too extreme, some got a couple of precursor’s while others (Like me) only got the equivalent of one or two gold.

I do not dislike people getting nice things, but it is hardly fair walking away with trash when others hit the jackpot. I hope the next event has more balance in the reward system, I am not saying nerf it, but at least make sure every player comes away with something worth while. After all, we all spent equal effort and time with the final event.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Rieshaus.7486

Rieshaus.7486

you forgot about the 20slot bag, the rune to craft a 20 slot bag on its own costs 10g

I buyed 2 Bankplaces, 2 Weeks after Release. Costs: 3-4 Gold. I don’t really need a 20 slot bag, and I can’t even sell it(!). A weapon would have been nice. 80 exotic, not 76/78 Underwaterweapons for a 80 Nekro/Ele/Thief/Mesmer.
But as somebody said: 4 Gold for me, almost 800 Gold for another. This was a bad decision, and I dont’t know how Anet will fix this gap between winners and losers. The chance is over and I’m not suprise that they don’t say anything, anymore hm? 36h after the desaster.