Lost Shores event lag concerns & comments [Merged Threads]

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: SirMoogie.9263

SirMoogie.9263

And by the way, having a level 80 and 100% map completion does not mean one has explored the whole of the world.

Your whole post was good, but this is worth emphasis. After hitting 80 and world completion I still have yet to do an explorable mode dungeon, and there’s several neat out of the way places that have events that are fun to follow. Just last week my guild devoted our weekly guild event to mini-dungeons. The mini-dungeons often get a pass by the players, but they are my favorite kind of dungeon. As a preference, I prefer more open world, sandbox content that the server does together as opposed to instancing. It’s fun to just stumble across other guild doing the same thing, coming together to fight Vexa or solve a dungeon’s puzzle. Or going back and helping players solve puzzles you know (I never give away a solution, just hint).

Edit: Hyperbole, “more than true” is a weird idiom.

(edited by SirMoogie.9263)

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Assassinin.4963

Assassinin.4963

The single reason why I feel GW2 is dying is because it is not ‘fun’. See, I am spenting my time here posting on the forum rather than logging in to play the game. Basically, I am not looking forward to login to play the game. Period.

The feeling of logging in to play the game is akin to going to school. You know what I mean? That ‘oh no its the same **** all over again’ kind of feeling.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: RamataKahn.4283

RamataKahn.4283

I find it funny that people say the game is dying, when it isn’t at all.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Suddenflame.2601

Suddenflame.2601

\o/ I told you all that the weapon skins and more and minis would be in chests like in halloween and only available to either people with lots of gold (farmers, exploiters, botters typically) or a large disposable income. They simply made a new chest and renamed it. Now we won’t even have direct purchase from gem store minis like we did with the halloween event. They are putting MORE eggs in the black lion.. gambling basket? And its all because everyone was like “chill down, things will be ok.”

Noone, believed me and people called me a liar.

Yay I looked at the patch notes today and I feel like a winner, well.. I mean.. none of us win. At least I was right all along though..

I was right.
I was right. La dee da I was right.

Gonna go have a victory dance on my bed…

I told you there’d be vertical progression gear treadmills and another annoying black lion chest gambling thing.. I was right, weee. Told yah so.

I am sorry, I am just too busy celebrating my being right all along and everyone who argued with me and flamed me being incorrect at predicting the outcome.

I have a warm feeling inside.

Maybe since the facts have spoken about my being correct on this thing, people will realize in the future that I have experience predicting this sort of thing and listen? No?

Oh well, at least they won’t be able to have a victory dance like I am having.. unless its a victory dance for being incorrect.

I love me right now.

Actually your still wrong in consideration that the new chest is only here for a limited time and will be gone from the black lion trading company soon. And your not forced to buy them you buy them if you want to but your not forced to. Also there is no gear trend mill only peoples speculation of one without any real evidence that one exists. So using Logical progression your still wrong for you have no axioms to support all of what you said and are assuming will happen.

Ranger; Warrior; Mesmer; Elementalist; Guardian; Engineer
[GWAM] and [LUST]
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Hydrophidian.4319

Hydrophidian.4319

And by the way, having a level 80 and 100% map completion does not mean one has explored the whole of the world.

Your whole post was good, but this is worth emphasis. After hitting 80 and world completion I still have yet to do an explorable mode dungeon, and there’s several neat out of the way places that have events that are fun to follow. Just last week my guild devoted our weekly guild event to mini-dungeons. The mini-dungeons often get a pass by the players, but they are my favorite kind of dungeon. As a preference, I prefer more open world, sandbox content that the server does together as opposed to instancing. It’s fun to just stumble across other guild doing the same thing, coming together to fight Vexa or solve a dungeon’s puzzle. Or going back and helping players solve puzzles you know (I never give away a solution, just hint).

Edit: Hyperbole, “more than true” is a weird idiom.

Double-plus-true!

Anyway, yah, I agree. I’d go as far as to say that the cooperative nature of the GW2 environment is very much a home run, a true innovation amongst several “new” things that have actually been done before (just not with as high a profile).

The social aspect of the MMO is almost always given short shrift, by players and developers alike. Which is bizarre, given that it’s an intrinsic part of the genre’s foundation, but there it is.

Overall, on the social front, GW2 is rather weak. There is a lot of room for improvement there, and I think the developers would be well served by pursuing it.

That aside, I also prefer mini-dungeons and the more mixed puzzles (jumping, combat, obstacles, problem solving), in part because they lend themselves more readily to group play. I now have the habit of exploring the borders of every zone, because that’s where these puzzles are usually found, and “completing” the map will typically not reveal them.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

OP – those that have said this game is dying truly have no idea of how MMOs work. They are not meant to be played in days or weeks. Heck not even months. They are to take YEARS. This game is a new born to. MMOs. Just ignor these people who have no idea of what they are talking about

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Irnhide.3428

Irnhide.3428

LFR needs to be in this game. Every MMO should have it… no reason for their not to be one.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: ZeroStatic.2176

ZeroStatic.2176

If a person is already bored with this game, it is due to their style of play. It is not the fault of the game itself.

If a person is already bored with this game, it is up to the game designers to look at his activity and personality to see why he was bored (well not literally but it would be optimal in case of targeted development), and whether his profile fits with that of the user they envisioned as part of their target audience. If someone isn’t, it’s their own fault for getting bored on something that’s not aimed at them. If someone is, then it’s the designers fault for creating a game for a set of people of which at least some fail to derive enjoyment from the game.

To simply say that it cannot be the game’s fault to get bored with the game at this time, is silly.

People are drawn to games for a wide variety of reasons, and they stay around for a wide variety of reasons. But, in my experience, the strongest, most common anchor isn’t progression it’s community. An MMO is not just a game, it’s a social construct. People can and do make an MMO their virtual third place

They can also make any other digital environment their ‘’third place’‘.
In my experience, the strongest common anchor for a game is game design, not community. While an extremely awful community may of course drive people away from the game, in my experience (online) friends are more likely to maintain contact outside a game and play something else rather than play something they don’t really like. Even when opinions are diverse, I’ve seen people rather decide upon their feelings about the game itself, and try to maintain any social connection (if they were significant enough) outside the game.

Cool how experiences work like that.

This is what accounts for an antiquated game like Ultima Online trucking along year after year after year. This is what accounts for the anomalous activity arc of EVE. It’s no doubt what maintains WoW. Social investment. Not game investment.

I’d rather think that it’s a combination of game appreciation, and time, money and social investment.

I did notice one girl once though, she did no longer like the game she played. She did not care about the time and money invested. She only played it because the ‘’guild needed her’’. I consider myself fortunate to have only encountered one person that saw things that way.

(edited by ZeroStatic.2176)

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Avatar.1923

true; social investment.
feeling as your character gains “reputation” in the game.

in GW2 its more shallow. you re a generic looter

still love the game for what it is!
ill play it until im bored, and after 175h, its going strong!
i m fairly casual, but ALL my free time goes into GW2!
i just dont have much free time :/

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Arreyanne.2683

Arreyanne.2683

Agreed instead of adding new gear maybe they should of optomized the code to handle this event

I cant fire off an ability
sad sad sad

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

i like the new gear we need progres its the only thing helping me log in to make my caracter stronger and stronger im not into this DRESS up barby stile as it was but this event is just AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Reclaimer.9276

Reclaimer.9276

Agree checked and had more then 30 sec delay. Big time failure like this whole patch it seems.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: dimgl.4786

dimgl.4786

NGL… this is embarrassing.

It seems ArenaNet can’t handle the stresses of servicing a full blown MMO with their current system. They’re going to need to be doing some revamps very soon…

in The Lost Shores

Gele.2048

nah i love the patch its just for the event only !!!

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Reclaimer.9276

Reclaimer.9276

Delete patch and roll servers back to 20:00 gmt pls (we are losing shines becouse of lag) and i will be happy again

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Ferguson.2157

Ferguson.2157

Game is unplayable for me now with this event. Most lag-filled thing I’ve ever experienced and I came here from the disaster that is SWTOR.

My formerly nimble thief when out of combat moves like he is swimming in molasses. Only my no. 1 skill fires off, but only an the 4th or 5th click. No auto attack functionality, Friends and foes are not rendering.

The game is broken. This is not fun. This is just frustrating!

“What, me worry?” – A. E. Neuman

in The Lost Shores

Gele.2048

haha m8 nothing is worse from swtor iv played taht junk also

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Nicco.3018

Nicco.3018

Anet becoming worse day by day,I wonder where the game will go with this lack of undenstanding,modesty and intelligence.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Bullfrog.1324

Bullfrog.1324

The lag during this event was TERRIBLE. And to top it off, my game crashed with the event 90% complete. Apparently the lighthouse got blown up, BUT I DIDN’T GET TO SEE IT.

This event really, really sucked, Anet

I’d rather regret something I’d done than regret doing nothing.
[Profession Synonym] Lexxi [ANGL] – Tarnished Coast

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Wikie.2610

Wikie.2610

the funny part free trial so people can check out the game and the event and after seeing that unplayable crap of an event they for suuure will buy the game…gg…

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: HyDraLiNsK.2470

HyDraLiNsK.2470

Laggy event > work.

Just sayin’.

“This rose has thorns…. here they are!!”

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: RedBaron.6058

RedBaron.6058

Hello all,

For me the event was just crap.
I had like 1 frame every 20 seconds (usually I run 60-70 fps in all areas), died several times without seing the mobs attacking me, was disconnected like 6 times…I disconnected every time the event progressed to a new phase.

Could not complete any stage of the event, did not get any drops, in sum was a complete waste of time and money because I need to repair the armor after several deaths.

If the same happened to you please reply and ask ANet the replay of the event on Blacktide server.

Thanks and best regards,

Red

“Blackadder: If you want something done properly, kill Baldrick before you start.”

(edited by RedBaron.6058)

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Impaler.6204

Impaler.6204

Me and my girlfriend were looking so forward to GW2 after being bored and frustrated with WoW. We pre-purchased the game and played in the betas and we were stoked.

The game releases and we start playing. Were loving it, the classes, music, graphics, art etc… all top notch.

We get to level 80 and just stop logging in because were bored. I think what it ultimately boils down too, is that we grew up with the Holy Trinity and miss it.

I love being a tank or a healer and excelling at my role and being recognized for it. In GW2 its just a zerg fest and playing your class well, doesn’t really matter. I could play my hybrid elementalist healer/dps, but it feels pointless when Guardians and Warriors are getting one shot by abilites in dungeons.

Another turn off for my gf at least was the level 80 medium armor sets are all terrible looking. Whats the point of doing Dungeons for sets of gear we dont want? if the gear made you stronger or had some cool set bonuses or something it might be worth farming the dungeon tokens. As it is now, you pick the set you want to roll in, farm the dungeon, get the armor, and then you dont set foot in the other Dungeons, because its a waste of time.

Oh well, if Blade and Soul ends up being fail, we will probably come back.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Madara.3126

Madara.3126

can’t play at all..:/ won’t work and stop..why anet not organized this well?ç.ç

Envoy of the End [EotE]
Ros
Human Mesmer

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Irnhide.3428

Irnhide.3428

45 second delay here….

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: verm.6150

verm.6150

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Moderator.1462

Moderator.1462

Hi everyone,

We have merged threads related to the Lost Shores event lag so you can share your concerns and give us some feedback on the issue.

We ask you to please, be friendly and constructive. We understand that this can be very frustrating.

Thanks for your understanding

in The Lost Shores

RedBaron.6058

Hi Moderator,

I hope ANet is also friendly and constructive and replays the event on Blacktide server.
The service provided was very very sub-par.

Thanks and best regards,

Red

“Blackadder: If you want something done properly, kill Baldrick before you start.”

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Ailar.7941

Ailar.7941

I’ve given up for today. Got nothing to show for a very taxing hour spent trying (“trying” being the operative word here) to do this event apart from a sizable repair bill. Game was mostly unplayable.

So if I might offer a suggestion: no more one-time-only, miss-it-and-you-wont-get-another-chance events ever again, mmkay ANet? Seriously, all the average player with an average rig and an average connection gets out of those is frustration and annoyance.

in The Lost Shores

RedBaron.6058

Ah, by the way, the 3 friends I invited to play the game are so disappointed with the event that they are laughing at my face for trying to convince them to play this game…:(

This was just unbelievable…its a pitty we work so hard to get people to play the game and ANet rewards us like this…

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: pricer.5091

pricer.5091

Where exactly is your understanding of the frustration? When you are deleting posts caused by this same frustration?

Yeah…thought so.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Bassi.3627

Bassi.3627

Laggy event followed by a gold sink that you need to use to get event related items, most of which, aren’t worth buying.

Underwhelmed is an understatement.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Bullfrog.1324

Bullfrog.1324

WvW is mostly unplayable by people with mid- to low-range machinces and you thought putting the entire server into Lion’s Arch and then starting combat was a good idea? Kitten me gently with a chainsaw.

In the future, if one-time events must involve combat, by all means split the population up into smaller chunks. Either have a similar event happen in several different locations, or break the population up into smaller instances. Sort of like in GW1 how you could choose which district of a city to be in. That way friends could still enjoy the event together, but 500 people aren’t all trying to spam attack skills at the same time.

Or, like has been mentioned before, DON’T DO ONE-TIME EVENTS! I’m glad this was a day off and that I didn’t use a leave day, or I’d be really upset.

I’d rather regret something I’d done than regret doing nothing.
[Profession Synonym] Lexxi [ANGL] – Tarnished Coast

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: bow.6179

bow.6179

Game crashed right before the end of the event. Glad to know I’m not the only one. Didn’t receive anything. Could always be worst though, just remember its a kittening game.

in The Lost Shores

RedBaron.6058

I really dont know how ANet can mix such a badly managed event like this with the trial period for new players…they just lost a lot of potential new players with this very badly managed event…:(

in The Lost Shores

RedBaron.6058

Lighthouse?!

There was anything happening at the lighthouse?

LoL….couldnt even see the mobs attacking me…

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Deadcell.9052

Deadcell.9052

I have a pretty good rig setup, handles wvwvw mega battles with ease, even handle god awful swtor illum battles just fine, but man this event was so laggy and unplayable I had to log out mid way through, nothing like being able to hit an ability go to the kitchen, get a drink, check my phone for messages, come back and see that ability not even fire off yet. Very very disappointing but at least I got to see the 7 sec cinematic lol.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: pricer.5091

pricer.5091

Yes it IS just a game and you are right it is imortant to keep that in perspective. However it is also a purchase and, for some people, myself included, one which has involved several follow up payments. It is a product…and with any other other product in the world that you bought that subsequently doesn’t work, you have the right to complain and in most cases demand a refund.

Whatever way you choose to look at it, it is a service which has been paid for which doesn’t work in the manner most reasonable would expect it to. There simply are no excuses.

And no, I don’t expect a refund, because I have had a very decent single player experience out of the game (at least) and a couple of dungeons and so on, so just on that basis its worth what I paid for it. But will I keep paying for it if the standard of delivery remains the same?

No. I would rather throw my money out of the window.

So, dear A-net, fix it please, pretty please (I know you are a little sensitive of criticism as your hysterical deletion of posts proves) and I will continue to pay you. Leave it as it is, shoddy, poorly implemented, broken and unplayable and you can strike me off your list of customers.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Illein.8534

Illein.8534

Can’t really defend that one, it’s rather pathetic. Sure, it’s a bit like cussing out the Minister of Transport for traffic jams on the first day of holiday – but it’s still rather bad.

I am glad I chose NOT to make use of the friend-feature, because I’d be rather embarrassed right now, if I exposed any new player to this experience.

Badly done.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Krypal.5968

Krypal.5968

I have been playing on the PC since the early nineties and never had this much lag on any game in that time.

I timed a heal setting off and it took 4 mins 26 secs to activate…and yes i timed it…had nothing else to do but wait for the lag.

Did you really not know that so many people would be involved, and that you had nowhere near enough bandwidth to deal with it.

After that waste of time,I am really not going to bother with the rest…It is just not worth it.

Please plan better next time…all those who i know came for the free weekend to see if they want to play, have left laughing at how anyone puts up with this sort of thing.

in The Lost Shores

Hydrophidian.4319

If a person is already bored with this game, it is up to the game designers to look at his activity and personality to see why he was bored (well not literally but it would be optimal in case of targeted development), and whether his profile fits with that of the user they envisioned as part of their target audience. If someone isn’t, it’s their own fault for getting bored on something that’s not aimed at them.

And this differs from my point… how, exactly?

This game was marketed for years before its release. Players who focus on linear play and vertical progression, at the exclusion of everything else, were very clearly not the target demographic for that marketing. The only way ANet could’ve more clearly conveyed “this game isn’t focused on your preferences” would’ve been to explicitly say so. They did everything just shy of that.

“If someone isn’t [their target audience], it’s their own fault for getting bored on something that’s not aimed at them,” is just a rephrasing of what I already said here (and elsewhere).

To simply say that it cannot be the game’s fault to get bored with the game at this time, is silly.

Except that’s not what I simply said. It was stated within a context. Context matters.

They can also make any other digital environment their ‘’third place’’.

Which is why you take steps to make your environment more attractive to serve as such.

In my experience, the strongest common anchor for a game is game design, not community.

Then I’d have to say your experience is severely limited. Or you’ve not examined the full implications of it.

Again, an MMO is not just a game, it’s a social construct. Game design alone has not and will not ever facilitate long-term retention for any MMO. You cannot divorce an MMO from the social dynamic. It’s the core, defining attribute of the genre. And that I even have to state this is baffling to me. It should go without saying.

Gameplay in the genre is, for a host of reasons, (notoriously) shallow and oft extremely repetitive. In some cases it’s even been almost entirely non-existent. So how do some MMOs manage to continue to operate for a decade or more? Clearly, it’s not game design on its own keeping these franchises afloat. There must be something else involved. Gee, whatever could that be?

I’d rather think that it’s a combination of game appreciation, and time, money and social investment.

Yes, a combination. Of which the most weighted factor is generally the social investment. One of the key reasons being because it ties into all the others. With an MMO, you can have the social with little game, simplistic game, or even no game to speak of (Second Life, as an example). But remove the social, and it’s no longer an MMO.

In any event, the point here is, the particular aspect of gameplay in question, this early into the game’s life, is only applicable to a very small segment of the playerbase. To try to claim that it has anything to do with an alleged decline in population and popularity is just wishful thinking on the part of linear-focused gamers.

The MMO’s scant support of the social dynamic, on the other hand, impacts everyone. If there’s been any decline at all—and that’s a big if—that probably has a lot more to do with it than a supposed lack of “end game”.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Bassi.3627

Bassi.3627

And the quest-line is bugged too.

Fantastic.

in The Lost Shores

Hydrophidian.4319

Hi everyone,

We have merged threads related to the Lost Shores event lag so you can share your concerns and give us some feedback on the issue.

We ask you to please, be friendly and constructive. We understand that this can be very frustrating.

Thanks for your understanding

At least one thread has been merged into this one that had nothing to do with event lag, or even the event.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Cromag.7195

Cromag.7195

Hmm, whatever was merged here has not much to do with event lags or am I wrong? Some minutes before I saw multiple threads but none of them are merged here.

Anyways, there I was in Frostgorge Sound killing some Icebrood, when suddenly my skills stopped working, I was running around all skills blinking but not firing off. Then I got kicked from the server. Logged back in and I was dead.

And my friend said on Teamspeak , the event has started…

(edited by Cromag.7195)

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Avatar.1923

why the F our tread that had NOTHING to do with lost shore lag got dumped and lost here?

seriously. AWFUL.

i ve mostly been a white knight.
but anet is starting to lose credit, fast.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: bow.6179

bow.6179

No one forced you into buying the game. You purchased it. If you do not enjoy it, then stop playing. Pretty simple. I bought an android HTC phone, where the battery only lasted about 4 hours. I could of called and complained and kept up the QQ with hopes that they would tailor something for me. Instead, I bought a different phone.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: dexter.2841

dexter.2841

One big fail !!

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: matenzo.9518

matenzo.9518

A frustrating, boring mess.

After being disconnected and unable to reconnect during the Halloween event (along with every single member of my guild) my expectations for this event were pretty low. This time I was actually the only member of my guild to even bother logging in (hardly anyone seems to log in nowadays anyway) and about 5 minutes before the event started I remember asking the map “what are the odds of massive disconnects this time?”. Obviously the answers ranged between 90-95% and that estimate proved entirely accurate. After about 10 minutes of horrible lag and several deaths afterwards I was disconnected and couldn’t log back in for a long while.

The sad thing is I didn’t feel like I was missing anything. As far as I could tell the opening event involved a huge number of players attacking zounds of mutated crabs that kept respawning over and over again for an hour or so. How people enjoy things like that is beyond me.

After a while I managed to log back in in an entirely different instance. Lag was actually rather manageable this time but the whole thing was pretty pointless. Being there didn’t seem to matter and whether the event failed or succeeded (and it failed) had nothing to do with me. There was no strategy involved, no skill, no sense of accomplishment, just zerging.

In the end all I got out of this event was a lot of frustration and several silver coins in repair costs. I was told there was a chain event still going on but frankly I couldn’t be bothered. Besides several players shouted that it was bugged. I didn’t stay to find out.

I’m glad I didn’t invite anyone to attend this cause the overall experience was a disaster.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: jumblehunter.4617

jumblehunter.4617

Hi there Anet. I’ll refrain from ranting like the others and simply give my thoughts as they are. I was disconnected three times. It took 20 minutes to log back on to your servers. My framerate was about 6 FPS. Skills activated about 3 minutes after I clicked them in Lions Arch, and all my messages were out of order when they also appeared 3 minutes later.

And I wasn’t even able to experience this misery with my guildmates as the we were all on different overflow servers but wanted to play together.

I decided enough was enough and went to play the new sPVP map. But the lag extended to there too. If you can’t prevent the lag at these huge events (which I suggest limiting to 100 people per version of LA) then please find a way to isolate sPVP and other instances from it.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Faden Pain.4275

Faden Pain.4275

Oh I didnt know that to kill Zaithan you need the group of 5. That sucks, Im always playing alone lol, well i guess thats good, I will never see the end game

Wow, I too was unaware of that fact. That is somewhat disconcerting to discover to be honest. Of course I am still stuck at The Hatchery, because its bugged and cannot be completed.

I guess I too will likely not end up witnessing the end game.