More Events like this please

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Spikedadragon.6015

Spikedadragon.6015

*They are a blast. *

Guild Wars 2 needs more of these World-wide Dynamic Events.

Obviously the lag and dc’s would need fixed by shrinking down the population on the servers. But other than that, the difficulty, the length, it all should stick. A World-wide Dynamic Event should not be shortened to the length of a normal dungeon boss fight or DE after all.

So yep. Bring em on!

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: SilverWF.4789

SilverWF.4789

There is more than enough World events in the 75+ zones

#SAVEDONBASS from Ukraine!
Seafarer’s Rest (EU): Liicher (Engi), Lii Cher (Warrior), Swf (Elem),
Licharr (Guard), Lich Eir (Ranger), Alt Fh (Thief). Lii Cherr (Mesm), S Wf (Necr)

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Vinny.6924

Vinny.6924

Pretty sure Anet just sunk a ton of its population.

Commander Ahria – Warrior – Stormbluff Isle

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Silver.9578

Silver.9578

I think the event was awesome. No, I didn’t get a precursor and yes, the loot at the end is completely useless for me but guess what? I still enjoyed it immensely. I’m usually someone who has lags with no end, is standing around not knowing what was going on and what to do but the third part of this event worked just perfectly for me. So yeah, if they could tweak events like this a little bit (you know, make it more stable for everyone, maybe remove the precursor from the chest or give it to all who open the chest for fairness) then I’d love to see events like this one again. Just don’t do it in Lions Arch because of the heavy lags and invisible enemies.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Warlord.9074

Warlord.9074

2nd this AN please ignore the QQers some people will never be happy no mater what you give them.

“Just press 2 to win all the dps was us cuz we’re a
warrior and we’re the best class” Eugene

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Spikedadragon.6015

Spikedadragon.6015

There is more than enough World events in the 75+ zones

Aye this may be true, but they should still ecompas outside that area. That is what Lost Shores did well. Plus the ones in the 75+ are always running, which makes em’ available whenever.

These are more fun because they are one-time or a specific time-frame. Known about ahead of time, so you can plan for it (if possible. RL of course trumps all).

But also because you have everybody coming together to do one massive event with a feel of satisfaction at the end.

Tho, I would have liked an ‘end’. Just hearing the Lionsguard chatting about other possible threats is fun to hear, but talk to them tomorrow and they won’t know what Ancient anything. Of course they were no-name npc’s just standing there right at the cave entrance.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Celesica.5790

Celesica.5790

I love the event. It’s really epic. Though I hate what they did with the rewards, because it’s only a one time event. They should’ve thought about the other players who may not able to attend it (different timezone). Kinda unfair.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Tale.5241

Tale.5241

As long as it isn’t ‘one time only’.

Anet hasn’t even attempted to justify their one time only stance with lost shores. I suspect its because they know any excuse they came up with would be complete bollocks.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Aevic.9675

Aevic.9675

Yeah! Bring on events that only a small portion of the population get to participate in! That will bring in more customers for sure!

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Lord Jingu.9712

Lord Jingu.9712

I believe that events with dragons should be handled in a similar fashion. Not so long of a fight of course, but one that is fluid, dragging the fight over the landscape. A static dragon screaming at you is starting to get old.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Would like more kinda like this.
Just fix the loot/exp for killing the stuff, and make it a repeating event instead of a one time event.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Tijo.9857

Tijo.9857

I won’t complain about what I got, because I got nothing.
I live in Australia, and like most here was not able to participate.

So, more of this or not, in the end makes little difference aside from the disapointment of not getting a chance at a precursor.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Demosthene.2195

Demosthene.2195

Bring less of these "events".

I wasted round 20 hours total on phase 1 and 2, till late night hours, stalking official forums, third-party event guides and gw2 wiki to find the information on when and how bugs will be fixed, as well as general directions of rather confusing event (phase 1).

I’ve been also told that I need to complete phase 1 and 2, in order to complete phase 3. This original idea (which was later scrapped) probably meant that it wasn’t feasible for the average user to complete event chains leading up to finale more than once, if at all possible (thus, no multiple-chests-per-account exploit). In retrespection, however, I’ve been lied to in this case.

On phase 3, I had appointments and couldn’t make it exactly on time. I arrived at my PC 2 hours from the event’s start, and to my horror tried to login for 30 minutes straight to game desperately, allowing the event to end practically everywhere, even on overflows.

As a rational person, I expected "multi-hour" event to last for at least few hours, but as it turns out again, population on american/global servers outweighted interests of european/african and SEA timezones, scheduling the peak concurrency time exactly at noon (12 p.m.), PST. Clearly, working people and minors of said timezones were blatantly shut down from participation in the finale, which they’ve likely worked hard to earn access to during phases 1 and 2, based on information from official channels.

Given the time & effort given to previous phases of the event which went straight to nothing, I expect nothing less than a formal apology on this debacle. No, I’m not asking for the reward chest, or punishment of people who looted the chest multiple times. That is your responsibility now, dear Anet, in terms of "damage control".

Damage has already been done - now I merely ask you, to provide a higher-quality entertainment value in the Wintersday event chain. Not for "peak concurrency users", but for all of us, with families, obligations and life outside the game, regardless of where we live and how we play the game.

One-time events are great to start and end "event chains" (such as Halloween, or Lost Shores update), but they shouldn’t be tied to in-game rewards, especially rewards of such magnitude as phase 3 of this update. In the future, please reward participation in the whole event, not "turned late and contributed nothing" crowd which jumped from server to server rolling the RNG wheel lottery to obtain a precursor.

As much as this event has been fun & great in terms of loot for those who were lucky (no DCs, no crashes, no login issues), it fostered bad blood & envy in the players, dividing community instead of bringing it together. For a community-oriented company, bent on providing best social experience in the MMO world, this should be a first warning sign: don’t antagonise, divide and fragment your community with gear progression, badly-designed special events and ill-thought cash shop products.

If in doubt, please play your own game on a normal account, without developer priviledges and "insider" knowledge of how game is structured and is most optimally played. Experiencing these issues firsthand is the only reasonable way to understand the real issues your customers have, as opposed to synthetic metrics analysed through the rose-tinted glasses of confirmation-bias and self-appraisal.

PS. This is not a personal attack, excuse my strong wording. I merely ask for acknowledgement of legitimate issues. If this is a wrong thread, please move it to general feedback thread. It’s definitely not my aim to provoke a string of negative responses and thread derailment.

(edited by Demosthene.2195)

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: UnrepentantProcrastinator.7420

UnrepentantProcrastinator.7420

I didn’t like it to be honest. Some of the stuff struck me as interesting, but for the most part my impression of the event was monotony and tedium.

Using the environment to whittle away against his armor was conceptually intriguing, but the open-world (and therefore very slow, scripted) nature pretty much drained any sense of urgency to leading the Ancient into the mountain.

Mostly though it was the terrible, terrible health pools that the enemy karka had. I mean Champions, you fight so many of them… And here’s the kicker. Not only does it take longer to drain a Champions health bar than the Ancient Karka’s… IT HAS TWO!

Repeating that over and over was simply taxing. It became a game of attrition and quickly lost my interest.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Gord.8654

Gord.8654

I agree…. at first I was annoyed by the “one time event” thing but I have to say this event was a blast! Best part of the event was seeing “Finish Him!” and watching hundreds of players execute a Matrix-esque floor stomp… well done!

My apologies to those that were not able to play due to server issues. I did not read all the posts before I posted my 2 cents. Just wanted to be clear I don’t blame you!

Host of SOTD Podcast www.sotdpodcastblog.wordpress.com

(edited by Gord.8654)

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Looria.8019

Looria.8019

Id say it like this. The event was a good idea. If it ran smoothly, it would be great. But the execution was really really bad and all the consequences werent thought through. And because of that there is such a huge mess left right now.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Hudak.6809

Hudak.6809

Me and probably a lot of people on Dragonbrand think that more events like this is a bad idea. That is because this one time event bugged out from the start and we couldn’t do any of it on our server. To top it off Anet is making no mention of the bugged final event case which makes me think they’re sweeping it under the rug.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: SJL.4652

SJL.4652

In case people havent noticed, The one time events lasted so much longer than it should have, giving more chance for players to actually participate. I was one of those that missed the first time, but 3 hours later joined in on the event in the overflow. the event was supposed to start 8:00PM and end 11:00PM, but guess what? I still finished the event at 4:30AM.
So, it was more of a half day event, which i think is reasonable. I would be more understanding to those frustrated if the event had lasted only 3hours real time and never again, but the truth is, you had a pretty big window. Plus, this event had more its points to exclusivity and story progression than to everyone going for a shot at precursors.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: DoctorOverlord.8620

DoctorOverlord.8620

When the OP says world dynamic events, do they mean repeatable ones like the Shatterer or one-time events like the Karka?

I entirely disagree the length and difficulty of the last Lost Short event were appropriate for a one-time event.

For a repeated event, longer and more difficult mechanics can work because people will have the chance to learn and evolve their tactics. That could be entertaining and there is no pressure because people know they will get a second chance.

In a one-time event, a world wide event will simply get a mob. A mob is an unthinking, unsophisticated animal. And the event needs to be designed with that in mind.

People will be too pressed for time and frantic that they might miss something in a one-time event. Some guilds might be able to plan before hand, but they have no idea what to expect and far more of the participants will be the disorganized zerg. One time events needs to made for the mob, because that is what will show up.

Check my GW2 Comic Dynamic Events http://goo.gl/JyB3J (Short Google Link to Fan Content Forum here)

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Horrorscope.7632

Horrorscope.7632

I agree with the OP, but I’m mainly talking phase 3.

I would have every zone have a zone DE that runs once per week on the scale we saw Sunday, perhaps shave one hour. Standardize the loot and stagger the start time each week.

So however many zones there are say 21, that means 3 run per day and they stagger their start times. Everyone gets in on the action, loot is standardized.

Now you have DE’s for area’s in each zone and once per week that zone has a massive Zone DE.

Perhaps a one-time kickoff for each Zone DE when introduced.

I agree, this is content no one else has that makes area’s more alive vs the competition.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

2nd this AN please ignore the QQers some people will never be happy no mater what you give them.

Would you be happy if you couldn’t play at all due to the massive server lag? It’s not our fault they can’t optimize the game well.

People have every right to complain you know

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Zaken.1806

Zaken.1806

I would welcome more of these one time event. I didn’t get to do some of the Halloween event but I was fine with it. I did phase 1 and phase 3 in this event and it was fun.

Although I have no lag through out, I heard people having issues with server d/c. I hope ANet can fix those for future events.

Thanks for the great fun, ANet!

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: spadders.8792

spadders.8792

Couldn’t agree more. I feel for the people who were disconnected; I was too, but was fortunate enough to get back onto an overflow where it had just started. So I hope they get their deserved rewards.

As for those who simply couldn’t be there…. that’s life. I’m pretty casual so I won’t see a lot of the content in the game, but it’s no reason to take it away from everybody else.

I say this as somebody who made a financial loss (market value 20-slot bag aside). I simply enjoyed the content for what it was: an epic, one-time-only battle with a load of random people.

More of the same, please.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Cina Reas.6938

Cina Reas.6938

Bring less of these “events”.

I wasted round 20 hours total on phase 1 and 2, till late night hours, stalking official forums, third-party event guides and gw2 wiki to find the information on when and how bugs will be fixed, as well as general directions of rather confusing event (phase 1).

I’ve been also told that I need to complete phase 1 and 2, in order to complete phase 3. This original idea (which was later scrapped) probably meant that it wasn’t feasible for the average user to complete event chains leading up to finale more than once, if at all possible (thus, no multiple-chests-per-account exploit). In retrespection, however, I’ve been lied to in this case.

On phase 3, I had appointments and couldn’t make it exactly on time. I arrived at my PC 2 hours from the event’s start, and to my horror tried to login for 30 minutes straight to game desperately, allowing the event to end practically everywhere, even on overflows.

As a rational person, I expected “multi-hour” event to last for at least few hours, but as it turns out again, population on american/global servers outweighted interests of european/african and SEA timezones, scheduling the peak concurrency time exactly at noon (12 p.m.), PST. Clearly, working people and minors of said timezones were blatantly shut down from participation in the finale, which they’ve likely worked hard to earn access to during phases 1 and 2, based on information from official channels.

Given the time & effort given to previous phases of the event which went straight to nothing, I expect nothing less than a formal apology on this debacle. No, I’m not asking for the reward chest, or punishment of people who looted the chest multiple times. That is your responsibility now, dear Anet, in terms of “damage control”.

Damage has already been done – now I merely ask you, to provide a higher-quality entertainment value in the Wintersday event chain. Not for “peak concurrency users”, but for all of us, with families, obligations and life outside the game, regardless of where we live and how we play the game.

One-time events are great to start and end “event chains” (such as Halloween, or Lost Shores update), but they shouldn’t be tied to in-game rewards, especially rewards of such magnitude as phase 3 of this update. In the future, please reward participation in the whole event, not “turned late and contributed nothing” crowd which jumped from server to server rolling the RNG wheel lottery to obtain a precursor.

As much as this event has been fun & great in terms of loot for those who were lucky (no DCs, no crashes, no login issues), it fostered bad blood & envy in the players, dividing community instead of bringing it together. For a community-oriented company, bent on providing best social experience in the MMO world, this should be a first warning sign: don’t antagonise, divide and fragment your community with gear progression, badly-designed special events and ill-thought cash shop products.

If in doubt, please play your own game on a normal account, without developer priviledges and “insider” knowledge of how game is structured and is most optimally played. Experiencing these issues firsthand is the only reasonable way to understand the real issues your customers have, as opposed to synthetic metrics analysed through the rose-tinted glasses of confirmation-bias and self-appraisal.

PS. This is not a personal attack, excuse my strong wording. I merely ask for acknowledgement of legitimate issues. If this is a wrong thread, please move it to general feedback thread. It’s definitely not my aim to provoke a string of negative responses and thread derailment.

/agree

Thank you. You saved me a lot of time creating a similar post.

Grind Wars 2; the game that ate my brain.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Gwydion.7624

Gwydion.7624

MM, let’s see

I spend 4-5 hours standing next to bugged NPC’s in phase 1-2
I spend 2.5 hours trying to LOG ON to have a chance to do phase 3. Precursors, exotics, rares, 20 slot bags, unique shell item, … Couldn’t get any because
- Servers are crap and couldn’t handle it
- People in Asia, Oceanic TZ, … got kittend over

The good new is that I’m pretty sure Anet just made it’s playerbase a bit smaller.
But hey, people will complain about everything right? Wonder how you would feel when you are trying to logon to a game for 2.5 hours only to hear your guildmates on Skype talk about the epic loot they got and you DID NOT.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Rin Shian.1932

Rin Shian.1932

It might be interesting, that I would also say, that I would like to see more events like this one. It was a good idea, and the fact that it has worked for some people (no phase has worked properly for me and I only participated in bits and pieces here and there totally being lagged out of phase 1, phase 2 never starting on the server I was on and crashing at the end of phase 3 and loosing the revard) might indicate, that it is (at least) a workable concept (and that is a start I guess ;P ).

The technical issues would need to be solved (there have been way too many of thouse and actually I think the problems got so bad, that some hard questions should be asked within the company), the servers need to be improved or set up differently to handle the load and the time frame need to be changed so that different time zones get the chance to participate. The one time event had too many problems and I hope that they will evaluate everything and have a good plan next time such a event will happen.