No more one time events

No more one time events

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: leman.7682

leman.7682

We really would like to say it was fun… but it wasn’t.

Pls fix your game and stop this one time event misery.

Thanks.

Leman

No more one time events

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Mimir.4690

Mimir.4690

No, they shouldn’t stop one-time events. Instead, they need to adjust the populations on servers so that people who are online can actually play it.

No more one time events

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Jure Simich.6154

Jure Simich.6154

I’d second the OP, actually. One time events
-are one use only, so if you miss them, you’ll never see them again
-are always in a single spot, overwhelming the servers, making them unenjoyable

It would be better to instance them or spread them all over the map, not just LA.

No more one time events

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Vzur.7123

Vzur.7123

Design this stuff to last a few days, build it up gradually. Don’t tell everyone to log in all at once, all in the same place. How could they possibly think that would go well?

No more one time events

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Debsylvania.7396

Debsylvania.7396

No, they shouldn’t stop one-time events. Instead, they need to adjust the populations on servers so that people who are online can actually play it.

Remember that countless trial visitors were part of the deal today. Not sure how they would balance servers with that going on.

Deb ~The Chewbacca Defense [TCD];
Waiting For Death [WFD]
@ Borlis Pass Server

No more one time events

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: soistheman.7208

soistheman.7208

one time event should stop for two reasons. one is too much lag that servers cannot handle the event and playing the game with such heavy lag is simply not fun. what about people cannot join the event?

Elementalist lover since GW1. It’s the only profession I play!

No more one time events

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Vorpal.4683

Vorpal.4683

One time events are a horrible idea and should be abandoned. It’s been shown conclusively from this event and the halloween event that the servers just can’t handle it.

I think Arena.net is hoping we walk away saying “Wow I got to participate in something special!”

Instead what happens is we get booted to server, sit in log in queues, experience lag, and walk away saying “That clusterkitten was an absolute waste of time”

And that’s not even getting into how many people can’t make it to the one time events.

No more one time events

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Ianervan.3415

Ianervan.3415

Remember that countless trial visitors were part of the deal today. Not sure how they would balance servers with that going on.

It’s called Overflow. Where most of us actually are during these events.

Unemployed people should not receive any social benefits if they are already working in an MMO.

No more one time events

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: MrChipper.1594

MrChipper.1594

If one time events = 20secs of video then massive lagfest then I’m all for skipping them.

No more one time events

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Nihilus.3015

Nihilus.3015

I’d second the OP, actually. One time events
-are one use only, so if you miss them, you’ll never see them again
-are always in a single spot, overwhelming the servers, making them unenjoyable

It would be better to instance them or spread them all over the map, not just LA.

Spreading across the world would be cool. Having it in 1 tiny little corner is a bad idea. I’m not doing the rest of the event.

AmateurNet

No more one time events

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: BoA.4728

BoA.4728

Seriously i don’t like this idea of one time event, i live in Aus, i cant attend the final phase coz its on Monday morning. Now i don’t have the desire to attend the first two events…

No more one time events

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Fishbait.6723

Fishbait.6723

Definitely, never even contemplate of attempting this again.
It`s a well known fact your servers struggle when a LOT less folk are turfed out of WvWs into LA & that your software can`t handle this kind of thing at all.

Making a one time event it`s soooo obvious that this would be one huge fail.

Lag to the extent that the second the first mobs appeared I cast my elite. Ten minutes later, it finally cast.
Spent the whole time trying & failing to cast anything & even res` players took a button mash & a dozen.

It`s a nice thought, but let`s keep it to thoughts shall we?

“We want you to play the game, not the UI” Arenanet.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Top-right-GO-away/first#post2096524
Rocking Wizard Wars until this mess of a game is fixed…

No more one time events

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Regizer.1763

Regizer.1763

We really would like to say it was fun… but it wasn’t.

Pls fix your game and stop this one time event misery.

Thanks.

Who is “we”?

No more one time events

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Ruby Red.4019

Ruby Red.4019

Well that was the one time event I wish I’d missed – the worst lag ever 2 secs play 30 secs frozen and several disconnections. Fun it wasn’t while the idea is good implementation is not ANet seriously have to accept that they can’t pull off this type of event.

No more one time events

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: xtorma.1283

xtorma.1283

Rift had the same troubles with thier world events in the beginning.

Baron Irongut – Warrior-

No more one time events

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Creed.7940

Creed.7940

I had to come from forum lurking just to reply, as I am sick to my back teeth of whining. It’s ambitious, and it needs more work, but they are a great concept. The servers and tech need longer to mature as the game is 3 months old. The lag was there for around 5 mins then cleared up. And ultimately, if you don’t like it don’t do it.

I looked upon the Grim Tree and couldn’t look away
I played under the Grim Tree and found I had to stay
http://www.grimtreegames.com

No more one time events

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Inaccordance.7910

Inaccordance.7910

I disagree. One-off events add vibrancy to the game. I could see ANet extending their events from days to weeks to allow for more participation, but getting rid of them entirely is too extreme a solution in my mind.

No more one time events

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Luthan.5236

Luthan.5236

One time events every 3 or 4 months. Not october the halloween… and then november already the next event.

Then tune down the max number of players. Let’s say 4 times the amount of instances of LA and only 1 fourth of the amount of players allowed.

Then it might work.

Also serious bugfixing and betatesting of the events stuff is recommended(thats why I want less events… not completly stop the events but less – every month is much more than they can handle).

No more one time events

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Celle.2716

Celle.2716

I had a blast.
Some lag but i had fun doing it.

The sence of entitlement make me sick.

No more one time events

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Panda Shepard.1248

Panda Shepard.1248

I had a blast.

I agree. I had a lot of fun even with the lag. I love the one time events and I hope they keep doing them.

No more one time events

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Stormleaf.1769

Stormleaf.1769

If you’re someone who feels there shouldn’t be any more events, then just ignore them when they occur. That way, everyone wins.

No more one time events

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Meridian.4983

Meridian.4983

I wish I could say the same. During the opening event in LA I could barely attack once every few seconds, forget skills 2-9. My pet wouldn’t respond, and I was being attacked by invisible enemies. Invisible until I was downed anyway.
Same thing happened in Caledon Forest at the Morgan’s Spiral event. Right now I’m hoping Noll will show up again so I can make some progress.

[NA] | BP
Zombie | God | For the Pass!

No more one time events

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Agreed.

For the first time I’m actually getting to experience one of the one time events and it’s just making me even more sure it’s not worth the hassle.

I think it would be much better all around if the ran it for a week or so and let people do it in their own time. It might not have the same excitement of “OMG Supa-special 1 time event!!11!11!1” but that’s a very small price to pay for getting something which actually works and which most people can participate in, instead of hearing later about how they didn’t really miss anything because it wasn’t working anyway.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

No more one time events

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Raincrow.1840

Raincrow.1840

I agree with the OP here. Even if the lag issues were fixed, it’s still a bad idea.

Not everyone plays at the same time so for every guy that feels a small amount of coolness factor there are 2 more frustrated players who are missing out.

You can get the same exact fun / excitment from an event that happens many times over the course of a weekend as you can from a one time thing, so why make it so frustrating?

Crystal Desert; The Viking Server
When are people going to figure out there’s a war going on?

No more one time events

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: wolfwing.5917

wolfwing.5917

I had a blast.

The sence of entitlement make me sick.

I agree people have a stupidly high sense of entitlement, but this isn’t that.

When many players are not North american, setting up all these events so that only north americans get to enjoy is stupid. The sense of specialty that people have is a bigger problem, that they should be only ones to enjoy things because they are the ones all these events have in mind. Think about someone other then your own selfish self.

No more one time events

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Raincrow.1840

Raincrow.1840

If you’re someone who feels there shouldn’t be any more events, then just ignore them when they occur. That way, everyone wins.

That doens’t make any sense at all.

I love the events…. I just don’t enjoy the idea that I need top be online at the exact right moment to see tham. “Ignoring” them doesn’t solve the problem at all.

Crystal Desert; The Viking Server
When are people going to figure out there’s a war going on?

No more one time events

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

I’m going to places, I’m trying to do things, and I’m not doing anything.

I can’t enjoy the stuff because it’s not something you can retry after the fix the bugs. It’s a one time thing.

If a one time things comes bugged, and won’t work, and you can’t do anything, and lag makes things worse, you are under pressure and frustrated.
You’ll be missing something you can’t do again, like you can with all the many other bugged things.
For them you can wait for a fix. I’m patient. I don’t mind waiting. But you can’t wait for a one-time thing.

I simply can’t understand why do they do this.
Making a one time thing instead an instanced thing that you can make once per account or characters, is bad. Many people will miss it. It’s a lot of wasted resources.

Making many people come at the same time is bad, because it’ll cause lag.
And setting the trials on top of that only make things worse.
And every single time try tried that, this happens.
Lag is not something the can fix in their side, and it’s not something players an fix on their side. There’s many factors they can’t affect, like horribly bad ISPs, bad infrastructures and the like.

So why do they keep doing that?
What are we supposed to expect for the next festival?
More of this again?

I should be in-game, playing, not here, trying to read some good news that don’t seem to come.

What you should do is adding some kind of historial records NPC that allows players to revive these events inside instances.
That way people will be able to see the content anyways.

You made the game for all of us, not for those testing it in the offices and the lucky ones that do not get bugs and/or lag.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)

No more one time events

in The Lost Shores

Danikat.8537

If you had some lag and some fun you got lucky. I apparently have an excellent internet connection and usually play on max settings with no lag and this was literally unplayable. Not “OMG it’s sooooo slow it’s liek impossible to see what I’m hittin with my leet skillz” unplayable. I mean literally it was impossible to even move and every time the image did update it was rapidly followed by completely losing connection.

For a couple of minutes it got better and I was able to collect 2 karka pieces, then as I was trying to hand them in I was booted again and when I finally got back in the entire thing was over.

If expecting better than that is an unreasonable sense of entitlement all I can say is we have very different standards.

No more one time events

in The Lost Shores

Danikat.8537

Incidentally now it’s moved on to stuff spread around the world, leading to a lot less lag, it’s infinately better.

But I still can’t understand what anyone gains from thousands of players missing out on it.

No more one time events

in The Lost Shores

wolfwing.5917

Incidentally now it’s moved on to stuff spread around the world, leading to a lot less lag, it’s infinately better.

But I still can’t understand what anyone gains from thousands of players missing out on it.

The excuse given for the mad king start is that after the first time it ruins the sense of specialness, I SORTA got that one, as it wasn’t really a huge event just the statue blowing up and hard to do over and over. Nothing stops LA from being invaded every hour or two.

No more one time events

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: ZoiN.4280

ZoiN.4280

I haven’t got any lag at all – not client side, neither server side o.O.

Only thing I experienced was a delay on things popping up on my screen so I could start hitting it.

No more one time events

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Celle.2716

Celle.2716

If you had some lag and some fun you got lucky. I apparently have an excellent internet connection and usually play on max settings with no lag and this was literally unplayable. Not “OMG it’s sooooo slow it’s liek impossible to see what I’m hittin with my leet skillz” unplayable. I mean literally it was impossible to even move and every time the image did update it was rapidly followed by completely losing connection.

For a couple of minutes it got better and I was able to collect 2 karka pieces, then as I was trying to hand them in I was booted again and when I finally got back in the entire thing was over.

If expecting better than that is an unreasonable sense of entitlement all I can say is we have very different standards.

I remember orgrimmar raids with 30 sec – 2 minute lags + 3 FPS + total servercrashes.
You will see improvements in the future, GW2 is less than 3 months old. It´s a new born child.

I haven’t got any lag at all – not client side, neither server side o.O.

Only thing I experienced was a delay on things popping up on my screen so I could start hitting it.

Thats a Culling problem, but Arenanet works on it, but takes some time.

No more one time events

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: QtHuynh.1893

QtHuynh.1893

They make the reward like the rewards for normal events. So people missed this event won’t feel bad. This is just for the experience. Join the fight and enjoy the story. It’s kinda suck for people with lag. Overall, it’s good.

No more one time events

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: SirMoogie.9263

SirMoogie.9263

Please keep them. I like a world that has an involved storyline that brings about change. Just consider decreasing max zone population when you do them.

No more one time events

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Rekuja.6318

Rekuja.6318

need more overflow tech imo

No more one time events

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

I, for one, like the one-time events. Not so much the execution that we’ve seen so far, but the idea. Yeah, there will be people who will miss them. So, what?

One-time events add a level of permanence to the game that was not previously there. For instance, I could go to Orr and fight through a temple full of zombies for a standard event reward and a chest with a low chance of any good drops. Or I could do it in an hour when it happens again.

One-time events, while they don’t offer any special rewards (and rightly so), feel meaningful. We drove off the Karka from Lion’s Arch, and they didn’t come back. It feels like we actually did something.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

No more one time events

in The Lost Shores

wolfwing.5917

Maybe a solution is setting up some servers for different time zones, so if you play around 5am be at a server whose events start around 5am pst rather then always noon pst.

No more one time events

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: leman.7682

leman.7682

Well obviously something went wrong.

Either Anet didn’t approximate the volume properly, ran out of server space or just tech failed.

Regardless what happened, it wasn’t fun. It was a disaster. What will trial players who play through a refer a friend feature think?

My favourite Anet guy – Mike O’Brien – said that it’s one time events that people remember the most. This one will be remembered for some other reason than fun.
Anet needs to rethink their OTE design, otherwise it won’t work.

We are asking to fix it or let it go.

Leman

(edited by leman.7682)

No more one time events

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Have to agree. The experience was more pain than pleasure. And, I really don’t think an event a month is a good idea. I would prefer they just work on permanent content to be released when it’s ready. GW2 is a good game and, sadly, the events just detract from the game. They are not fun and they are not rewarding. I did my lag time and got nothing from today’s event. I will do my best to avoid the remainder of the event this weekend.

No more one time events

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: MajorMelchett.6042

MajorMelchett.6042

No way should they stop 1 time events, they just need to make it so the main event part (the opening part) is city wide (zone wide etc) and then the actual fighting/group part of the event is placed into group clock tower style events.

Something along the lines of how the clock tower was done, after the main opening there would be a warp point in trhe near area, you enter it and are grouped with say 20/30/40/50 people etc (depends on event size) and then you do the main action part of the event.
—-
This way allows the 1 time events BUT should cut way back on the issue we had today.

Zilori: Guardian – Desolation.
Zarturo: Elemental – Desolation.

(edited by MajorMelchett.6042)

No more one time events

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

Why in the world can’t they last for 24 hours?

Spread the population out over a day, and make sure everyone gets a reasonable chance to participate.

Everyone wins.

No more one time events

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: sturgeon.2659

sturgeon.2659

PLEASE don’t stop doing these events!

I had a lot of fun. And since I’m not a fool, I expected lots of lag and had fun anyway. Had a great day of exploring and doing things other than the normal grindy stuff.

No more one time events

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: zombyturtle.5980

zombyturtle.5980

I would suggest running the one time event for the first time at noon PST as usual.

Then for the next 24-48 hours running in within an instance once every 3 hours.

I was one of the many who wasn’t able to attend. Yes this is my own fault but it seems to be a very narrow timeslot and is a shame for those who dont have unlimited free time to adapt around the game schedule.