One-time events don't belong in MMORPGs.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: telperien.1073

telperien.1073

Because it was absolutely terrible.

I have been on the GW2 bandwagon since launch and I absolutely love this game. With that being said, I have no idea who thought it would be a good idea to have special one-time events at only one 30-minute interval a day. I understand there are no achievements or the like related to the event, but going forward I really hope you guys do not follow suit with this practice. I wanted to be a part of the action going on, but expecting me to forfeit a certain time slot over the weekend instead of letting it run on intervals like you did with the Halloween event just makes me question the rationality behind it.

Another thing: try testing your stuff more thoroughly, because I can’t complete Noll (which I know is reported by the devs for a fix), OR the Gukumatz vials event because I dropped a vial and he won’t give me another one. Seriously, why would you release something so erroneous?

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: DavidGX.1723

DavidGX.1723

Here’s the solution (I’m talking to you, Arenanet.)

The first time you enter the zone with the event, you are taken to YOUR OWN INSTANCE and you can do it that way, whatever time of the day the event happens. It can easily be a one time thing there, just, on the date it’s supposed to happen, you can do it once, in your own instance. Problem = solved.

I understand the desire to have huge epic events with dozens of other people fighting alongside you, but let’s face it, your engine/servers just can’t take it. You know it, we know it. Just scale the event for one person.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: loony.8926

loony.8926

I have more fun grinding than doing this.
(speaking for just a few…)
we miss the events due to where we live and we wait for fixes as nps are lost or busted?

Seems like just an annoying waiting game than one you play to have fun.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Spikedadragon.6015

Spikedadragon.6015

Sometimes you have to wonder if people realize what they are asking…

Did you take part in the opener Friday? Everybody was scaled up to be able to face the invading Karka’s. Even still you could be one/two-shot killed by the baby’s spit stuff, or a rampaging veteran. And woe-be-you if you got in the path of one of those Egg Layers. Lol.
You want this instance to just your own character, to take on the hordes of Karka’s that invaded?
Pretty sure by the time you finished the ‘instance’, if possible, all your armor would be broke and cost a fortune to fix up!

I’m all for instances, but in cases like these one-time events, unless they scale down the enemies health and rate, which takes away the fun of it being a ‘new’ event and just another to mow through, it isn’t worth that.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: DavidGX.1723

DavidGX.1723

Sometimes you have to wonder if people realize what they are asking…

Did you take part in the opener Friday? Everybody was scaled up to be able to face the invading Karka’s. Even still you could be one/two-shot killed by the baby’s spit stuff, or a rampaging veteran. And woe-be-you if you got in the path of one of those Egg Layers. Lol.
You want this instance to just your own character, to take on the hordes of Karka’s that invaded?
Pretty sure by the time you finished the ‘instance’, if possible, all your armor would be broke and cost a fortune to fix up!

I’m all for instances, but in cases like these one-time events, unless they scale down the enemies health and rate, which takes away the fun of it being a ‘new’ event and just another to mow through, it isn’t worth that.

What isn’t worth it, is putting too many players and enemies in the same area for the servers to handle, causing extreme lag. The poorly optimized game doesn’t help with FPS in that situation, either. It’s also really fun to miss a one time event. I thought GW2 wasn’t going to be an MMO you had to schedule your life around?

Perhaps a better solution is to separate lions arch into a bunch of instances, not for every single player, but maybe teams of 10 or 20 or so. Whatever they do, they can’t just keep doing this.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Kana.6793

Kana.6793

All they need to do is lower the number of people allowed in an overflow slightly. You can easily have 50+ together without the lag, just not the overflow completely maxed out.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Spikedadragon.6015

Spikedadragon.6015

Oh believe me David, I understand. While the opener was fun, the next few waves in Morgan’s Spiral and the Wizard’s floating castle area, could see bodies, could sometimes strike, but mostly death all around. So I would have agreed on that same front for the other map areas the event took place following LA. At least in LA you could see everything you fought, lol

I personally was hoping for a Mad King’s Clock Tower type instance. OR even the way the Labyrinth was, although that may not have been reduced from a normal map (like kessex/la) and just spread out more.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

It wouldn’t be an MMO if everybody was in his own instance. Just a bunch of people playing the same game. There have been massive performance problems and ANet should have known this would happen, everybody joked that the servers would die the moment the event starts. It also didn’t feel very “massive and epic”, because all I saw was random people popping out of nowhere and disappearing again or being one-shot by those creatures. Took me a few minutes just to figure out what was causing that massive damage in the invisible zerg and another few minutes to actually kill something because of lag and instantly being killed, then the event was over before I could even deliver one sample. At least I saw the cutscenes. Then there was a badly (or barely) beta tested event chain with NPCs being killed way too fast to be able to contribute to the event and finally a bugged NPC.
But still it was fun. Somehow. Maybe because we were laughing so hard in Teamspeak about how naive ANet was (again). I guess they beta test with a few people and think “this will work out somehow”, knowing there will be hundreds of people doing the same thing on the live servers. Sigh.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Ruby Red.4019

Ruby Red.4019

All they need to do is lower the number of people allowed in an overflow slightly. You can easily have 50+ together without the lag, just not the overflow completely maxed out.

And the realm servers themselves which 50 of the thousands capacity do you chose? We have guilds with 1000+ members. I logged in early to get out of overflow since most problems were there with the Mad King instead most of the problems this time were on home realms. I think I managed 5 secs of fighting before lag freeze in an overflow which was 5 secs more than on my home server.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Ravenblade.7685

Ravenblade.7685

[…]The first time you enter the zone with the event, you are taken to YOUR OWN INSTANCE and you can do it that way, whatever time of the day the event happens. It can easily be a one time thing there, just, on the date it’s supposed to happen, you can do it once, in your own instance. Problem = solved.[…]

Actually while a logic thing to do I believe going back to the Mad Clock’s Tower’s reasons stated for not being instanced would apply here as well: There is a system-based limitation on how many instances the servers can actually handle simultaneously. Spawning tens of thousands of instances at once would cause something similar which people had experienced when the Mad King’s dungeon was opened which were crashes and disconnect.

There is another solution to this: Don’t make single zone based events. Spread people out so there is less load per zone. It would also make sense seeing world invasions don’t happen on single front basis or at least someone would expect so.

Siqqa, Asura Engineer

When I’m playing WvW I’m really playing LSD.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Mastruq.2463

Mastruq.2463

I very much disagree with the notion of “just instance everything”. If I wanted to play a single player game I would do that.

That doesnt mean I want server-crashing lagfests, but they have to find solutions (and there are several in this and other threads) that keep the event public and reduce server load.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Ditsy.4039

Ditsy.4039

I feel they need to stop trying to concentrate the whole player base into one place for a one-time event. Why do the events have to be one-time? Just design them so they’re not one-time and can run at least a week. A lot of people are not enjoying the events currently.
- there is confusion about what time the events occur, because there is insufficient in-game information (see this thread suggestion https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Add-start-times-to-in-game-quest-information/first#post770078 ).
- events don’t seem to work the same way as personal story quests, leading to more confusion. A personal story quest has green markers for your next step. This event has multiple gold markers that don’t seem to have any relevance to the next step, and aren’t disappearing when my character has interacted with an NPC.
- events have showstopper bugs in multiple places and the fix cycle for them is far too slow, which is of course made worse by the short amount of time the events run for, and the massive amount of hype around them being ‘one-time’ only
- there isn’t one place for communication updates that has all information and is current. Assuming the forums are supposed to be the ‘source’ of information, then Twitter updates should be available here as well. If ArenaNet insists on using several social media streams to randomly communicate event information, they need to integrate them into the game, I’m not going to set up and monitor 3 separate social media accounts just to play a game. Absolutely ridiculous.