Overflow Servers Achilles’ heel

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Rioter.1390

Rioter.1390

I was one of the unfortunate players the got booted on the last leg of the main event this past Sunday. It burns. I know most go for the gear and loot – That’s always nice, but I actually enjoyed the event and played for the experience of it.

I’ve played many games and this was a new experience. Some say it was grind, but to see everyone work together reminded me of the days of DAoC Trials (which was also very controversial)… Though back then I was on Mordred so you had pvp happening while trying to complete the event… which if you’re that type of player that enjoys chaos in pvp – it was a great time.

Anyway – getting booted did ruin the end of the event. It will go down as one of the highlights remembered in future after spending that much time working through the event. However, as the topic title states – this event really opened my eyes to the Achilles’ heel of having overflow servers. Drops happen – it’s the nature of gaming… maybe not “mass” drops – but it is what it is. The biggest problem I had was not getting back to the server I was on… That was the kicker…

I really hope safety nets are put in place for future events. If it’s required that you are grouped to stay locked in a server, then let us know that. If a person drops, then maybe there’s a way to save that slot for that character for x amount of time…

Overall GW2 is a great game, though the QA team really needs to take some time and look at why so many bugs released with this patch of code. It shouldn’t have been this buggy.

Just my two cents.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Culwenimos.1594

Culwenimos.1594

Were you in a party? I think they have it so that they attempt to put you in the same overflow as your party. I remember being in Southsun overflow. I logged out and logged back in and was automatically put in their overflow. Although I guess if you were in a party, you could have tried joining them back in the same overflow.

With all the server stress and/or the fact that you were booted, they might have caused that functionality to fault.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

My party ended up on three different servers (2 overflow and 1 regular). You would get the “full server” message.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Rioter.1390

Rioter.1390

I was not in a party – but I wasn’t aware that I really needed to be – till after the drop and /map chat started talking about it… So it’s true that being in a group keeps you tagged to a server? This is good to know for future events…