Suggestions for Future One Time Events

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Karganeth.8417

Karganeth.8417

This is in my opinion of course

So the one time event happened, some people made it to the event and got the chest at the end, some people made it to the event and DC’d at the end and missed the chest, and then the rest just missed the event completely. Here’s how the One Time event should work in the future:

You are eligible for the event ONE time per account.

This solves all the problems. Why? Let’s take a look.

The lag during the event was absolutely insane even if you have a stellar PC. This caused a number of DC’s and basically made the event very lack luster, especially when you’re moving slower than a 90 year old woman using a walker. Now if this event was spread out throughout the day (24 hour period) let’s say scheduled every 2-3 hours (8 – 12 total instances) then just about everyone could participate once per account. That would eliminate virtually all of the problems.

Would there still be people who missed it? Absolutely, you can’t please everyone. However, there’s a very large number of people who missed out on the event and are unhappy, and unhappy customers will leave.

So, in conclusion, being eligible to participate in a One Time event Once per account yields the following:
- Less Lag
- Less QQ
- Less Unhappy Customers
- Some people will buy multiple accounts (easy $$ in ANets pocket) in order to do more events and collect more loot
- Every time zone has a couple shots to do it

Although the One Time event is an interesting concept it is very foolish to think that’s the best way to handle those kinds of things. People don’t like missing out on valuable free stuff, that’s just human nature. Hopefully in the future you implement what I have suggested above or come up with something better.

Karganeth – Warrior / Kathrogan – Guardian / Mallikith – Necromancer
www.addictguild.com

(edited by Karganeth.8417)

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Cerediron.3508

Cerediron.3508

Make it last 24 hours of the day, and just repeating. Only can pick up from chest 1 per character / 2-3 times per account.

in The Lost Shores

Karganeth.8417

Make it last 24 hours of the day, and just repeating. Only can pick up from chest 1 per character / 2-3 times per account.

No, you’re going waaaay overboard and missing the point. This is not about getting as much free loot as you can.

Once per account during a 24 hour period (ie it’s starts at 12PM PST Monday and it ends at 12PM PST on Tuesday).

www.addictguild.com

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Cerediron.3508

Cerediron.3508

No, you’re going waaaay overboard and missing the point. This is not about getting as much free loot as you can.

Once per account during a 24 hour period (ie it’s starts at 12PM PST Monday and it ends at 12PM PST on Tuesday).

Having 2 times per account/1 per character at least makes people able to have another 80 if they have one to be involved/have a chance at drops for themselves. I’m not going overboard saying 5-6. Just 2. Also, making it so they can’t quick log in to get the chest. Make them do it over again.

in The Lost Shores

Karganeth.8417

Having 2 times per account/1 per character at least makes people able to have another 80 if they have one to be involved/have a chance at drops for themselves. I’m not going overboard saying 5-6. Just 2. Also, making it so they can’t quick log in to get the chest. Make them do it over again.

Ah I misunderstood, however I see what you’re saying and although it’s not completely out of the realm of reason, I still believe only once per account. This eliminates the entire issue with the quick log also.

www.addictguild.com

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Taero.7243

Taero.7243

The problem with these is that if you simply don’t have enough people running when the event starts you’re out of luck, the mobs don’t dynamically spawn different amounts based upon how many players there are (I don’t think?) In our even we had about a hundred people and there were dead bodies everywhere, I can only imagine if it was me and like 10 other people on an overflow trying to do one of the later events.

in The Lost Shores

Karganeth.8417

BTW this is not a QQ post by any means. I missed the event, I don’t really care personally about drops, but as far as trying to execute this concept in the best way possible I believe ANet missed the mark, by about a mile.

Just trying to help ANet out so they don’t repeat this performance.

www.addictguild.com

in The Lost Shores

Karganeth.8417

The problem with these is that if you simply don’t have enough people running when the event starts you’re out of luck, the mobs don’t dynamically spawn different amounts based upon how many players there are (I don’t think?) In our even we had about a hundred people and there were dead bodies everywhere, I can only imagine if it was me and like 10 other people on an overflow trying to do one of the later events.

I see what you’re saying, and in order for that to work the mobs should be scaled according to the number of people in the event, simple fix.

www.addictguild.com

in The Lost Shores

Karganeth.8417

I am open to any criticisms people have, just keep in constructive. Also if you think it’s a good idea please support it so the next event will be better and everyone can experience it ONE time.

www.addictguild.com

in The Lost Shores

Karganeth.8417

Even if you liked the event, you can agree that it could have been better as a whole. The goal of this thread is to give ANet some constructive criticism and try and help them get it right for next month’s Winter Event.

www.addictguild.com

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: InfernoToad.2549

InfernoToad.2549

I see what you’re saying, and in order for that to work the mobs should be scaled according to the number of people in the event, simple fix.

I’m pretty sure they were. When I did the event, I first got in an empty server. I started inviting people in, and as the event progressed, I could see the number of mobs had drastically increased to match the amount of players participating in the event.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: inbetween.5623

inbetween.5623

Once per account is fine, Just make it run for an ENTIRE DAY. Or at least once every 8 hours for an entire day to make it more accessible.

in The Lost Shores

Karganeth.8417

Once per account is fine, Just make it run for an ENTIRE DAY. Or at least once every 8 hours for an entire day to make it more accessible.

Hmm I think once every 8 hours is a bit too long. Perhaps have it running continuously for 24 hours and instead of yielding a chest you get a random loot pop-up window similar to a zone completion only with 4 or 5 random items. Maybe a high chance of 1 random 80 exotic, 1 t6 reagent at “X” number, and 3 random items ranging from Blue to Exotic.

www.addictguild.com

in The Lost Shores

Karganeth.8417

I’m pretty sure they were. When I did the event, I first got in an empty server. I started inviting people in, and as the event progressed, I could see the number of mobs had drastically increased to match the amount of players participating in the event.

I figured it’d be the same as other events already in the game, but I wasn’t sure. Thanks for the clarification!

www.addictguild.com

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Rack.4930

Rack.4930

Definitely a good idea, or at the very least set zone scaling so you have an amount of players and mobs the system can handle. Have multiple angles to deal with at once, don’t just have a 3000 player zerg that completely crushes your game design.

in The Lost Shores

Karganeth.8417

Definitely a good idea, or at the very least set zone scaling so you have an amount of players and mobs the system can handle. Have multiple angles to deal with at once, don’t just have a 3000 player zerg that completely crushes your game design.

I believe the issue of having the event available throughout the 24 hours period would greatly help with the lag. However, ANet needs to test that and roll out a solution to where you can actually play the event smoothly and not at a snails pace.

All in all it seems like this event was rushed and, to be frank, a bit sloppy.

If anyone has anymore ideas for realistic improvements please contribute, just keep it constructive! There are enough QQ threads out there, a lot are being locked, we don’t need more, that won’t change anything.

www.addictguild.com

in The Lost Shores

Karganeth.8417

I know some of you out there either have good ideas or at least support mine, please post something if you support the idea or have anything to add. If not ANet will have a greater chance of repeating this performance.

www.addictguild.com

in The Lost Shores

Karganeth.8417

So since this isn’t a QQ post it gets no attention?

www.addictguild.com

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Sprawl.3891

Sprawl.3891

Rift does events right, why re-create the wheel.

Sprawl – Necro – Eredon Terrace

in The Lost Shores

Karganeth.8417

Rift does events right, why re-create the wheel.

I’ll agree to that, the events in Rift were handled probably the best I’ve ever seen in any MMO.

www.addictguild.com

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: LemurTron.9261

LemurTron.9261

You are eligible for the event ONE time per account.

This solves all the problems. Why? Let’s take a look.

Imo it does not solve ALL the problems but I agree, it is the foundation and most important feature.

Other suggestions to help other problems:
1) Have the event instanced, like dungeons. Reason? If there is “maintenance” or a new build like the fiasco at the end of this last event, everyone will have 3 hours instead of 3 minutes, etc
2) Availability — even 24 hours will mean some get left out. Maybe over the course of a whole weekend? Even better, maybe for a whole week?

Whatever ensures the best chance that everyone, regardless of race, profession, timezone or gear gets one shot to get the rewards on one character and one character only. Allowing alts to run the instance just ensures people will be kittened that they couldn’t run it for the n’th time, etc

I don’t know rift, but if the consensus is that they set the standard then yeah, why reinvent the wheel

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Vargos.6987

Vargos.6987

I will say I agree with the repeating “one time” event scenario for a 24 hour period. We kill the Shatterer, Claw of Jormag and Tequatl every 2-3 hours every DAY and they’re only slightly less work than Ancient Karka was (at least for the final boss fight itself, which was all that was required for the chest). I can think of a couple other scenarios that may improve the gameplay for events like this in the future.

Scenario 1: I would disagree with you, however slightly, on the once per account bit. The only way to support an event of that magnitude 8 times in a day (every 3 hours) would require a pretty large group of people. If a majority of players did the event in the first couple play-throughs, you’d lose a lot of that server’s population during the last event or two of the day and the event would have a chance of failing. Without the rewards, not many people would spend 2 hours in an event chain for the 1 silver and 360 karma we got for the reinforcements and again for the boss. However, I don’t think the chest has to be quite as rewarding after the first play through on one account.

Let’s say the first run through on an account gets the big badkitten chest with 2 exotics, 2 rares and the unique event container (karka ring & bag). Subsequent runs can simply treat the chest as a normal splendid chest and drop the unique event container again. The contents of the container are account bound and not game-breaking by any stretch, and pleny of people were able to run this event multiple times and probably have a full set of 20-slot bags for one character and enough rings for 5 alts. But in this case they also got a ton of guaranteed exotics along with it. In a proper all-day repeating event scenario, SOME reward will help encourage folks to keep running it to make sure it succeeds, but doesn’t have to guarantee the phat loot every time. And a splendid chest every 2-3 hours isn’t much different than farming Tequatl/Claw, but with the added bonus of account-bound event loot.

Scenario 2: The primary problem with scenario 1 is the issue of overflows. When an overflow instance gets created 20 minutes after a main server starts the event and gets overcrowded, the event on the overflow ends 20 minutes after the first one as well. This leads to opportunities of running a repeating event constantly throughout the day if you’re lucky enough to have friends spread among the overflow instances.

If we did go with something like the “one chest per account” option, maybe the whole zone should be forced into overflow for the day. Basically, to account for the dwindling number of players throughout the day, if an account hasn’t completed the event they are forced into an active overflow where the event is running (preferably with npc’s that can teleport someone from the entry points to where the current action is). Accounts that have completed it will default to their own home server, but can be guested in if they just want to assist a guildie and do it for the fun rather than the loot.

in The Lost Shores

Karganeth.8417

Imo it does not solve ALL the problems but I agree, it is the foundation and most important feature.

Other suggestions to help other problems:
1) Have the event instanced, like dungeons. Reason? If there is “maintenance” or a new build like the fiasco at the end of this last event, everyone will have 3 hours instead of 3 minutes, etc
2) Availability — even 24 hours will mean some get left out. Maybe over the course of a whole weekend? Even better, maybe for a whole week?

Whatever ensures the best chance that everyone, regardless of race, profession, timezone or gear gets one shot to get the rewards on one character and one character only. Allowing alts to run the instance just ensures people will be kittened that they couldn’t run it for the n’th time, etc

I don’t know rift, but if the consensus is that they set the standard then yeah, why reinvent the wheel

1. I like the idea of an instanced zone like a dungeon in order to facilitate the event. It could be something as simple as an Event portal that can be reused for future events. Obviously the zones and objectives will change to correspond with the event, but this way everyone knows where to go everytime and it’s easily manageable.

2. I see what you’re saying, and if it’s setup for ONE time per account it really wouldn’t matter how long, hell you could have it up for a whole week. So yeah longer than 24 hours would work, and definitely alleviate some stress on their servers.

You made some good points, finally glad to see more good constructive criticism and suggestions.

As far as Rift goes, when they do events they are very clear and pretty flawless for the most part. If ANet wants to take a few pages out of their book, but still make it their own, I would not complain.

www.addictguild.com

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Lorena.2973

Lorena.2973

I was thinking that a big event should run each part for more than a day, maybe 2 or 3 days. That give Anet the chance to find and fix any bugs so that anyone that wants to has a decent chance of participating. By running it for one day, anyone that has to work, go to school, has some personal life event that is important, will miss it. I was busy, made the choice no to worry about it during the day and tried in the evening to join a server where it was running, but wasn’t able to do so. I would have enjoyed being able to join the mob, experience the lag and try to help kill the Boss. It was frustrating to try to find an overflow that was running the event.

I like the idea of a one time event, but would like to see it spread out enough that people have a chance to participate and it could well cut down the lag issues and the d/c issues if it were less crowded. I suspect that there needed to be more overflow servers, that they were allowed to get TOO full so that performance was an issue, and that running the big Boss on a repeating basis for 2 – 3 days would allow everyone to have a good chance at it at least once.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: mapokl.3167

mapokl.3167

I really like the idea of chest tied with achievement for finishing event. It would solve so many problems like:

- it could make people to do whole chain before getting reward
- only one chest per account

in The Lost Shores

Karganeth.8417

I was thinking that a big event should run each part for more than a day, maybe 2 or 3 days. That give Anet the chance to find and fix any bugs so that anyone that wants to has a decent chance of participating. By running it for one day, anyone that has to work, go to school, has some personal life event that is important, will miss it. I was busy, made the choice no to worry about it during the day and tried in the evening to join a server where it was running, but wasn’t able to do so. I would have enjoyed being able to join the mob, experience the lag and try to help kill the Boss. It was frustrating to try to find an overflow that was running the event.

I like the idea of a one time event, but would like to see it spread out enough that people have a chance to participate and it could well cut down the lag issues and the d/c issues if it were less crowded. I suspect that there needed to be more overflow servers, that they were allowed to get TOO full so that performance was an issue, and that running the big Boss on a repeating basis for 2 – 3 days would allow everyone to have a good chance at it at least once.

Yes I think the best solution, based up what you and others have said, would be to have it running for a couple of days. One day causes too many problems both for the players and for ANet. After all, this event is not just about precursor’s, loot, gold, etc. There are a lot of people who want to experience the event (preferably with as little lag as possible of course from the client side) just to go through and kill the boss at the end, and they didn’t even get the opportunity.

www.addictguild.com

in The Lost Shores

Karganeth.8417

I really like the idea of chest tied with achievement for finishing event. It would solve so many problems like:

- it could make people to do whole chain before getting reward
- only one chest per account

Right, if they decide to break it up into an achievement it has to be something easily done within an hour or 2, and available for 2-3 days.

Yes, having a big loot chest on the ground, especially if ANets goal of said chest is to help reduce the price of the precursor, can be better managed with an achievement style chest just like the daily / monthly / pvp rank / tourny chests. This can easily be calculated as well to get the precursor price to where they want it.

www.addictguild.com

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: miniL.7361

miniL.7361

1 time chest loot like labyrinth would have been a good idea and perhaps 2 or 3 times the event so everyone could enjoy it.

in The Lost Shores

Karganeth.8417

1 time chest loot like labyrinth would have been a good idea and perhaps 2 or 3 times the event so everyone could enjoy it.

Can you please explain?

www.addictguild.com