Boss Thumper for a month?

in The Origins of Madness

Posted by: John.5732

John.5732

You know your Living World update is flat and lacking diversity when the daily LW achievement is Boss Thumper for a full month.

Is this the best the LW teams can come up with? This update took an extra two months to release, and no thought was put into what the daily achievements should be?

Off the top of my head, here’s some variety:
- Destroy 3 Energy Probes
- Kill 10 Probe Defenders
- Visit Scarlet’s Secret Lair
- Open a chest in Scarlet’s Secret Lair
- Visit the Energy Probe in 3 different maps (destroyed or otherwise)
- Make a cypher from 25 code fragments

And, if you want to include the latest update:
- Kill 10 players in the new EotM map
- Do 3 events in the EotM Map
- Capture 2 Reactors in the EotM Map
- etc.

Leader of the Kingdom of [Shu] Guild
Devona’s Rest

(edited by John.5732)

Posted by: Herschie.6380

Herschie.6380

I do agree as well. There should be more diversity in the LW Daily that’s “Boss Thumper XXII”

Midian Wright [Guardian]
[Maki]
Ferguson’s Crossing

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Lmao you know they got to have a holiday around Christmas right? The extra 2 months could very easily have been spent working on OTHER things that we haven’t seen yet…

The daily is there to encourage people to keep playing those two bosses so that there are enough players to do them…

Posted by: John.5732

John.5732

Lmao you know they got to have a holiday around Christmas right? The extra 2 months could very easily have been spent working on OTHER things that we haven’t seen yet…

The daily is there to encourage people to keep playing those two bosses so that there are enough players to do them…

I don’t want to deny them a holiday, but I doubt two months was their entire holiday time. Also, specific teams prepare each LW update, meaning this LW update had one team. What else was the team doing.

Also, I was making the point that releasing two bosses for a month and calling it a day is 1) flat and uninspired, and 2) repetitive as the Boss Thumper Daily Achievement has become.

Leader of the Kingdom of [Shu] Guild
Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

The Origins of Madness meta achievement is not easy to get if you’re a casual player or in a low pop server. From that perspective, I’m glad that ANet has kept Boss Thumper around for a whole month so people have plenty of chances to complete the meta. (Especially so given the recent crazy lag/disconnects people have been having at Mari.)

That said, I do agree that some variety in the daily achievement would have been nice.

Posted by: Kruhljak.2705

Kruhljak.2705

For my part, this is the first LW I haven’t even bothered with. I’m entirely uninterested in being funneled into required repetition to get some dubious meta reward. Until now, they’ve provided those alternative things to do, most importantly to me, things I could do by myself most of the time (and given my odd schedule and often short/unstable play time windows, this is critical).

I really dislike this notion of LW—aka storyline—content devolving into annoying mega-raids. Unlike many others, I’m not quite desperate enough for content to just dance on the strings like their Marionette.

As the OP laid out, there are plenty of things that could have been offered to satisfy the meta for those that don’t have time to goof around with overflow problems, bugs that don’t award proper achievement credit, and/or having to “organize” with gaggles of random others.

Hopefully, this shoehorning of all players into your open world raid content stops here. LW should be story-focused and thus easily accessible to all players, primarily solo if that’s the path they want to take. Drop your raid bosses, dungeons and other stuff in as additional content for those that will enjoy it. My advice: take care with the player manipulation concept; it breeds resentment.

I’m just one player, but I’ll definitely be going elsewhere (as I’ve done mostly since this patch dropped) to spend my time and money if this sort of content becomes the main focal point of GW2.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I actually like the boss thumper achievement. It only takes 4 minutes to get it if I guest to a low pop server.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Yea, I’m not against it being a regular daily. I just throw it in rotation like gathering or activity participation. It would be nice if they added some of what OP is talking about, but I’ve honestly got no problem with there being 22 instances of this daily.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

It’s likely going to be like this to encourage participation.

Posted by: kamedin.4698

kamedin.4698

Once that meta achievement got done, I have yet to be back and have no plans of doing it again (or the wurm).

Lyscir – Main Engi
[????] – HoD

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I guess I can see that it’s not great for those that don’t like the fights I happen to really like marionette and have all the achieves and keep doing it just for fun. So it’s an automatic daily.

Oddly though, all those things you kill and loot in lane defense don’t count for Daily Killer, even though they count for Veterans and Champions when that’s up.

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I’m sure they could have easily had other achieves. But I think the reason they wanted only Boss Thumper was to encourage players to participate in those events. Those events need large quantities of people, and some people will only do an events if they have some sort of achievement incentive.

Its also possible they didn’t want anyone to be able to do the meta-achieve without doing the Marionette / Wurm. If they had done a whole month of Probe destruction, Scarlet lair visits, ect it’d be entirely possible for players to never even see the Marionette at all.

Posted by: FateOmega.9601

FateOmega.9601

I like that it is always boss thumper. Doing the things you listed is just boring whereas the marionette fight is good.