Camera issues

Camera issues

in The Origins of Madness

Posted by: Daroon.1736

Daroon.1736

Sorry guys but you’re secret is out – I strongly suspect that several members of the Dev team have a thing about feet.

My suspicions initially surfaced during the Queens Jubilee celebration when after entering the 1v1 tournament in the floating arenas, I found that every time I entered an arena I would be staring at my characters feet! Moving around and fighting initially helped but despite my best efforts the camera stubbornly refused to stay focused on my opponent and kept returning to study my shoes.

Skip forward several months to the Mari event and OMG the arena section MUST have been designed by the same team because here I am spending a great deal of the time staring at my pinkies again!

On guild chat after the first day of this release we were chatting about the Mari platform section and not one other person who had done the event had even seen the 600ft giant marionette puppet roaming around in the middle, The only conclusion I could come to was that my entire guild had also succumb to the fetish and were quite content to spend the entire encounter staring at their footwear.

Edit: Oh and please fix the camera

Camera issues

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Yes, the boxed-in camera positioning is quite terrible, especially if circumstances drive you back against the edge of a platform. I’m used to playing zoomed out as far as possible, with the camera quite high up. The camera was my greatest enemy at the jubilee tournament, and here I’m again forced to use angles I’m not used to. I can’t get anywhere near the awareness level I feel comfortable with.

The 3rd champion is especially bad. I’ve never seen any part of it higher than its knees, because if I try to, I’m seeing the sky as a backdrop instead of the floor.

Camera issues

Posted by: Grimno.6172

Grimno.6172

Quentin Tarantino does.
Google it. There’s a website examining all the movies he’s made and it’s true.
There’s even video of Quentin Tarantino doing it I believe.

Grimno Lvl 80 WR
Lance Delgado Lvl 20 Thief

Camera issues

Posted by: zeromius.1604

zeromius.1604

It’s funny how you mention the Queen’s Jubilee and make no mention of Queen Jennah not wearing any shoes. I think that would have been much better evidence to support your claim. Of course, what you are describing is more akin to a shoe fetish.

As for the camera, adding a first person view would alleviate this problem. Having no clip for the camera and allow it to go through walls would open up a whole new can of works.

Camera issues

Daroon.1736

It’s funny how you mention the Queen’s Jubilee and make no mention of Queen Jennah not wearing any shoes. I think that would have been much better evidence to support your claim. Of course, what you are describing is more akin to a shoe fetish.

As for the camera, adding a first person view would alleviate this problem. Having no clip for the camera and allow it to go through walls would open up a whole new can of works.

The ‘foot fetish’ reference was merely my attempt at coming up with a more humorous way of illustrating the issues I (and many other people) have with the in-game camera.

The two examples I cited require a degree of skill to complete that absolutely relies on the player having a good visual overview of what is going on around him and the default camera position fails miserably. Anytime you approach the edge of the arena your view of the action is limited to the floor in front of you.

First person view is an alternative which has been discussed at length. Personally I dislike it, but others clearly want it. As I understand, Anet have looked at that and there are technical issues which are preventing its implementation.

Since launch though, at the start of several other world events (including the Wurm in this patch) the camera zooms right out allowing the player to take in all the action, so as this option is clearly technically possible, what I would like to know is why this hasn’t been implemented as a default option that can be used anywhere?

Camera issues

Posted by: zeromius.1604

zeromius.1604

First person view is an alternative which has been discussed at length. Personally I dislike it, but others clearly want it. As I understand, Anet have looked at that and there are technical issues which are preventing its implementation.

Since launch though, at the start of several other world events (including the Wurm in this patch) the camera zooms right out allowing the player to take in all the action, so as this option is clearly technically possible, what I would like to know is why this hasn’t been implemented as a default option that can be used anywhere?

As I had mentioned, being able to zoom out would require a wall to not be present. The camera is oddly enough subject to the same collision detection that your character is subject to. Allowing the camera to go through the wall would be a possible solution but it introduce other problems.

Camera issues

Daroon.1736

As I had mentioned, being able to zoom out would require a wall to not be present. The camera is oddly enough subject to the same collision detection that your character is subject to. Allowing the camera to go through the wall would be a possible solution but it introduce other problems.

Wouldn’t allowing the camera to be zoomed out so that you are above the wall not solve this problem? At the start of many of the world boss event (Jormag – Behemoth etc) the camera automatically takes up an elevated position which gives the player a much better view.

Clearly there is some internal resistance to the idea of allowing the player to adopt this view all the time (and some clarification as to why would be great to hear), but at the very least play testing should have identified that both the Queens jubilee and the Mari encounter need this ‘elevated’ camera view.

As I mentioned in the initial post, No one in my guild was even aware of the Marionette in the centre until it was pointed out and during the jubilee event I would have been much happier controlling my character from the spectator balcony looking into the arena.

Camera issues

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

There are not many walls around the new wurm.
Additionally they’ve also removed the increased zoom from Claw of Jormag. There are no walls in the way there either.

Edit: Oh and for some reason Shadow Behemoth has retained it even though you don’t need care about any of its animations and the camera tends to collide with the portals.

(edited by Khisanth.2948)

Camera issues

Posted by: Chaotic Storm.2815

Chaotic Storm.2815

is it a foot fetish or a dominatix fetish?

#ELEtism

Camera issues

Posted by: Shpongle.6025

Shpongle.6025

I don’t think it’s the same thing. They’re wired so that they get turned on by bare feet the way normal people get turned on by a woman’s intimate private lady parts, that’s why they love feet so much. It’s some wires in the brain crossed differently than in our brains. Not that there’s anything wrong with it.

Are you Shpongled?

(edited by Shpongle.6025)

Camera issues

Shpongle.6025

Quentin Tarantino does.
Google it. There’s a website examining all the movies he’s made and it’s true.
There’s even video of Quentin Tarantino doing it I believe.

Yes there was a scene he was in with that latino lady actress that had a snake around her neck, it was a vampire movie. Salma Hayek I think.

Are you Shpongled?

Camera issues

Posted by: Chaotic Storm.2815

Chaotic Storm.2815

I don’t think it’s the same thing. They’re wired so that they get turned on by bare feet the way normal people get turned on by a woman’s intimate private lady parts, that’s why they love feet so much. It’s some wires in the brain crossed differently than in our brains. Not that there’s anything wrong with it.

I though dominatix more because of the high heels

#ELEtism

Camera issues

Shpongle.6025

I though dominatix more because of the high heels

No no, dominatrix wear high heels because it displays power and domination. That whole ‘’I am above you’’ thing, literally.

Are you Shpongled?

Camera issues

Posted by: Umut.5471

Umut.5471

robot fetish, lubricated metal.

Camera issues

Posted by: Overkillengine.6084

Overkillengine.6084

robot fetish, lubricated metal.

Dem Gears.

Attachments:

Camera issues

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

Guild Wars didn’t have this camera problem. Not sure why they can’t make that happen in GW2.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Camera issues

Daroon.1736

Guild Wars didn’t have this camera problem. Not sure why they can’t make that happen in GW2.

My guess is that it has something to do with the fact that GW2 uses an up/down axis which wasn’t present in GW1.

Even so just letting players zoom out more would alleviate most if not all of the problems many players currently experience with the camera.

Camera issues

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

The game needs to be able to have barriers that block character movement but not block the camera, and all will be well.

As it is now, anything that blocks a character also affects the camera. An easily accessible place to see how that works, is the Black Citadel. It has a lot of low railings near the command core that you can’t jump over. Walk into them and swing the camera 180 degrees, and the camera will squeeze between your character and the invisible wall, causing extreem zooming.

Camera issues

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Best i can recall, the overly solid camera is not a technical issue, but an artistic one. Having it be less solid seems to risk revealing the dirty underside of all those beautifully crafted maps…