Disconnected to Overflow = bad business

in The Origins of Madness

Posted by: Moira Shalaar.5620

Moira Shalaar.5620

I must admit a certain level of frustration with the present “cap & overflow” structure. I and a full party of guild members jumped into Lornar’s Pass an hour early to make sure we were on the main instance. We did events, opened map, ran griffin rook while we waited. When the event start we were coordinating, trying to work as a team towards completing the event, but half way through the Twisted Marionette event I was disconnected from the server. Even though I immediately re-entered the game, I logged back in to an overflow, with 4 guild party members in the main instance. There was no credit for the daily boss thumper, no credit for the event, no possibility of joining them until the event was over. As you might imagine, I was, and am a tad frustrated.

Please, please, please consider some way to leave a session open for a limited time so that a reconnect will bring someone back into the instance they left. Or at least leave a way for us to join our party in instance, an option that is available at other times.

I love this game. I play it daily. I am not gonna threaten to quit. I am not trying to be discourteous to the staff there at ANET. But I do think that whatever business decision that this cap and overflow policy was framed around should be reconsidered.

mid-2011 iMac; OSX 10.9.5; 3.4 GHz Core i7;
16GB RAM; AMD Radeon 6970M 2GB VRAM

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

This just proves open world raids do not work in GW2. The whole overflow system does not work. I have no idea why Anet is still going with this. It seems as long as the people on the main server can do it, they consider it a good event.

They should either switch to some kind of instanced raid system or get better servers that can handle more people.

Posted by: dillirgaf.4715

dillirgaf.4715

This just happened to me. I was on the main server an hour and a half early just to make sure Ii got there. Event started , went 3 for with the champs all was going very well until random disconnect. Not due to internet (vent did not disconnect). log back on into a mostly empty overflow except for the other people it just happened to. This is getting frustrating.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Overflows work just fine. The fact that you get randomly disconnected isn’t ANet’s fault, nor a fault of Overflows. I’m on the fringe of my network provider and no where near the game servers yet I’ve never randomly disconnected. So I can’t help but assume the fault is on your own end somewhere.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

I’ve gotten a couple of weird disconnects in the event that were definitely not a connection problem on my end. In fact, they didn’t seem like connection problems at all.

They happen when I’m playing without any lag, everything is moving, my skills activate, I deal and take damage… in short, everything’s working just fine. Then suddenly, screen goes black for a split second, and I’m looking at the character selection screen. There isn’t any kind of delay or slowdown before or after. From playing perfectly fine to a fully loaded character selection screen in one instant.

When I get back on and mention it in chat, usually there’s a few other people who just had the same thing happen.

Posted by: Lickage.7318

Lickage.7318

Same thing happend to me. I was commanding lane 2, explained 30 minutes before start of the event warden 2 to all newcomers to the event. My reward was that my messages where suppressed for 25 minutes after.

then when I could finally speak again and my lane needed to finish the marionette off (warden 5) I quickly explained the tactics of warden 5 to my lane. and just before entering the portal I got send back to my character screen. within 8 seconds I was back online in the world of Tyria.. but of course in overflow without the reward we worked so hard far to accomplish.

things that went wrong:
- Commander’s messages getting suppressed while he explains the tactics.
- Random DC that never happend before.

pretty frustrated about both things.

Kaelyn Nightfall – Sylvari Ranger
Server: Gandara
Note: English is my second language

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

Yeah same problem is in WvW when you need to wait hrs to get in and then get dc you lose your spot even if you relog right away…

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Lickage, I’m on Gandara too, and that’s where it happened. Coincidence?

Posted by: Lickage.7318

Lickage.7318

Lickage, I’m on Gandara too, and that’s where it happened. Coincidence?

Ye it happend on Gandara

Kaelyn Nightfall – Sylvari Ranger
Server: Gandara
Note: English is my second language