Endless amounts of mob and no loot.

in The Origins of Madness

Posted by: Gasoline.2570

Gasoline.2570

Please. It’s an MMO. Whats this no loot mentality thats been going on a bit too long? These events feel very empty aside from just having an incredible quantity of dps sinks that don’t even reward you. I don’t understand this anymore. The gameplay isn’t good enough to completely drain the loot from the events like this.

The balance team is chained to SPVP, and the PVE team is all about producing carnivals

Posted by: JJBigs.8456

JJBigs.8456

Loot comes if you succeed, do the meta properly. Loot isnt rewarded for staff guardians spamming 1, not contributing to the event. Loot would make people farm it over do the objectives. Keep the event loot free please.

No Staff Guards. No engi spamming nades doing 50 damage to tag. No mindless bots running over event doing nothing but tagging. I like it this way.

Posted by: Kargath.6598

Kargath.6598

Please. It’s an MMO. Whats this no loot mentality thats been going on a bit too long? These events feel very empty aside from just having an incredible quantity of dps sinks that don’t even reward you. I don’t understand this anymore. The gameplay isn’t good enough to completely drain the loot from the events like this.

if there was loot from that champ people would just farm those champs rather than completing the event just like scarlet’s last time. Its a good thing that this time there is no look.

Posted by: Kaellok.8143

Kaellok.8143

This is probably my biggest criticism of GW2. For all the epic monsters I slay, I sure don’t get any epic loot. I don’t expect to get an ascended item on the first drop. Hell, I don’t even expect to get one on the 100th drop. But getting random blues and greens after killing a mighty foe is kinda disheartening. One of the things I enjoyed in other MMOs was that every time I ran a dungeon or world boss, I was always excited by the prospect of getting a sweet piece of loot. In GW2, I don’t even bother. Perhaps I’m being whiny, but it just never seems like you are never sufficiently rewarded for your effort.

Other than that, I’m so far enjoying the new patch. The boss fights are difficult but interesting.

Posted by: Dalent.9358

Dalent.9358

Loot comes if you succeed, do the meta properly. Loot isnt rewarded for staff guardians spamming 1, not contributing to the event. Loot would make people farm it over do the objectives. Keep the event loot free please.

No Staff Guards. No engi spamming nades doing 50 damage to tag. No mindless bots running over event doing nothing but tagging. I like it this way.

This. Remember the Portal Events when they happened every hour, people wouldn’t complete them, merely farm the champs. This is their fix for that. And considering these events don’t last as long, I think it’s great.

This is probably my biggest criticism of GW2. For all the epic monsters I slay, I sure don’t get any epic loot. I don’t expect to get an ascended item on the first drop. Hell, I don’t even expect to get one on the 100th drop. But getting random blues and greens after killing a mighty foe is kinda disheartening. One of the things I enjoyed in other MMOs was that every time I ran a dungeon or world boss, I was always excited by the prospect of getting a sweet piece of loot. In GW2, I don’t even bother. Perhaps I’m being whiny, but it just never seems like you are never sufficiently rewarded for your effort.

One thing other MMOs lack (at least from my experience) is shared-tagging. And by that, I mean 3 random people can hit a mob, and all can get individual loot. Almost all bosses are world bosses. Killing the big ones always gets you a rare (Jormag, etc.). I don’t seem to have the problem you have, but I don’t know what your MF% is at either (which is another discussion entirely). The other thing is personal loot. If you and me kill a boss, we don’t have to see each other’s loot. You could get a precursor, and I could get a green tunic. Best I can say is that RNG is RNG.

Akurn – Asura Necromancer
Elzareth – Asura Mesmer

(edited by Dalent.9358)

Posted by: Gambit.8425

Gambit.8425

This. Remember the Portal Events when they happened every hour, people wouldn’t complete them, merely farm the champs. This is their fix for that. And considering these events don’t last as long, I think it’s perfectly.

It goes both ways. Remember the Toxic Offshoots everyone stopped doing once the achievements where done? If it isn’t worth the time put in, people will do something else. At least with the Scarlet invasion, you could be a week late and still finish the AP meta.

The Wurm may be permanent but nobody’s gonna bother with it when it takes 20-30 competent players going each direction in the same overflow. Alt. roll thumbs for 2 hours on a successful server like it is with Teq now for some rares and greens.

The events are badly planned is all when every boss fight has to have a zerg of loot-free mobs surrounding it. I remember all the epic boss fights in that other MMO that had zero adds.

(edited by Gambit.8425)

Posted by: Axialbloom.8109

Axialbloom.8109

Put a champ box on the guys inside the portals.

Posted by: Fallout.1798

Fallout.1798

This, I agree with sooooooooooooo much. If these champions for the Twisted Marionette dropped loot (not counting the code fragments), then the farmers would be dominating the event. There would be only weak staff guardians and grenade engineers, all more focused on tagging the mobs/champs rather than the objective. We saw this and have seen it with Scarlet’s Invasions.
Because of the “farm farm farm, screw the objective” mentality, there is only a few viable solutions. And that is to mostly remove the loot drops. Too many players have been “taught” that all you have to do in a group or zerg is just spam your 1 auto attack key and you get loot, and this needs to be fixed.

Stormbluff Isle
[AoD]- Commander Vars Wolf

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

The events are badly planned is all when every boss fight has to have a zerg of loot-free mobs surrounding it. I remember all the epic boss fights in that other MMO that had zero adds.

Exactly this!

Time and time again I’m shocked to see the sheer amount of crap ANet is dumping in our face. Can’t make the fight interesting enough on its own? Dump a crap-ton of mobs in whose only purpose is to make your life even more miserable than it already was.

Just look at the ridiculous crap that gets thrown in our face during the Jungle Wurm event. Can’t even take 5 steps and some random mob does a launch/immobilize/push/knockdown (and more times than not dumps you straight into a poison field or into some other AoE).

We were promised some epic battle and I admit that the Marionette event seems to be a pretty decent concept (even though it has some serious design flaws with 5 individual platforms that allow no outside assistance; so if one platform fails due to a failure in design the entire stage fails).

But in my opinion you have no reason to be proud of the Jungle Wurm event; nor proclaim it to be an epic encounter because it is very poorly executed and is generally unfun.

I’ve done screenplay and sequencing for a multi-stage bossfight on another game in the past but I would never dare to pull a stunt like this by just using accumulating numbers of mobs with random cc’s during the entire fight. That’s not making the fight more interesting; it just makes the fight more annoying. The basic concept is good, but the numerous adds are simply there to hide the poor implementation on said concept.

So please take this into consideration and tone down on the misery-mobs because you guys clearly ran out of ideas.

It’s not even a real three-headed giant wurm but just 3 separate wurms like the one in Caledon Forest spread out across the zone. You guys had the chance to make a giant Hydra-like boss but instead chose to opt for the mundane approach.

Attachments:

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

Lots of mobs with zero loot and no guaranteed pay off after an hour of hard work and perhaps several hours wait.

That is the definition of soul crushing, you can not expect people to do any of that without a reward. The fact that they even had the idea to do this proves the designers do not play their own content.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

I’m glad they made it like that for this event. Did you WANT a repeat of the scarlet invasions where nobody could complete it because all the champion farmers were there just ignoring the objective and killing the champions for loot? It’s better like this, it keeps the champion farmers far away from it, and guarantees that the people doing the boss fight WANT to do it for the challenge or achievements. Though this event DOES need to scale with the number of people nearby, so we don’t have another Teq incident on our hands.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

The last two events have TERRIBLE loot. I did the Wurm one, got exactly one champ bag off the midboss. Yay. I got in fifteen minutes of chaos what I could have gotten in thirty seconds of champ train.

Then I did the Marionette thing, and while my lane was able to cut one string, and almost cut a second before the event ended (my stage cleared ours with plenty of time), the event ended anyways and all I got was a cheap green and some key bits.

No thank you.

This is just horrible loot, horrible. If you’re going to only reward success, then reward INDIVIDUAL success. If you clear your stage, you get loot. If you defend your lane well during your other four rounds, then you get loot. If you deposit a bunch of color gas into the siphons, you get loot, reward players for doing stuff, don’t punish them for the failure of others.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: Shinzan.2908

Shinzan.2908

Rather than disable loot during the event they just need to make finishing the event give better/more loot than not.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Both sides have a valid point here. Maybe ANet can look at doing a compromise; individual mobs don’t drop loot to discourage people just farming Champs and ignoring the bigger objective, but you also get incremental rewards for each successful sub-event/task you complete. For example, if you succeed at defending your lane, everybody in that lane gets 1 Champ bag plus assorted loot (and a successful event completion reward.) You do that however many times it takes to defeat the Marionette.

At the end of the encounter, you get a further reward based on how many successful events were completed, plus a big bonus if you successfully killed her.

I also think that rewards for the big three bosses (Tequatl, the GJW and the Marionette) needs to be majorly increased to compensate for the time and effort it takes to beat them. The Marionette is less of an issue since it’s temporary content, but I feel that Tequatl and the GJW should give a guaranteed Exotic in their daily chests, spurring people to keep attempting it each day even if an attempt or two fails.

Posted by: Ryan.2758

Ryan.2758

Finish the fight, win or lose, and you get a kitten ton of loot. Not only from the bag you receive, but also from the chests you can unlock REPEATEDLY with the keys you obtain.

I literally had 20 + yellows and a few exotics from playing today. Mind you I have 30% magic find otherwise.

Loot is certainly not the problem.

Posted by: Nurgle.6597

Nurgle.6597

if there was loot from that champ people would just farm those champs rather than completing the event just like scarlet’s last time. Its a good thing that this time there is no look.

That doesn’t apply here since the whole point of the event is to kill the champions before they get to the portal

Posted by: Barfoi.9537

Barfoi.9537

^

The repeatable chests seem to have a very high chance for rares, and also drop additional fragments or key-bags. I’m not sure what’s all available from them, but they do include the new recipes (e.g., JC jewel).

Posted by: TheGaryTh.1649

TheGaryTh.1649

I’d like to point out loot-less/xp-less mobs also don’t proc on-kill effect. I don’t mind having loot-less/xp-less mobs, however I kill not having on-kill effect is a problem since there are quite a few on-kill game mechanics that don’t trigger because of this(like Guardian F1 spam).

Posted by: Kanto.1659

Kanto.1659

The last two events have TERRIBLE loot. I did the Wurm one, got exactly one champ bag off the midboss. Yay. I got in fifteen minutes of chaos what I could have gotten in thirty seconds of champ train.

Then I did the Marionette thing, and while my lane was able to cut one string, and almost cut a second before the event ended (my stage cleared ours with plenty of time), the event ended anyways and all I got was a cheap green and some key bits.

No thank you.

This is just horrible loot, horrible. If you’re going to only reward success, then reward INDIVIDUAL success. If you clear your stage, you get loot. If you defend your lane well during your other four rounds, then you get loot. If you deposit a bunch of color gas into the siphons, you get loot, reward players for doing stuff, don’t punish them for the failure of others.

This. Very much this. Individual success pushes towards group success.

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

The mobs drop components for a cypher. You can open chests in Scarlet’s base with the ciphers for loot. That seems reasonably fair to me, given they don’t want to encourage the preferential champion slaying just because of the loot they drop.

Gambit.8425

With individual success everyone would just stack one lane when AP is done in a couple of days. The Marienette fight should’ve been more about the actual boss and less about the lanes.

Also, with the Wurm I’ve already noticed how people are zerging Amber over the other two paths because it only involves killing mobs.

Posted by: Pipra.7580

Pipra.7580

Lots of mobs with zero loot and no guaranteed pay off after an hour of hard work and perhaps several hours wait.

That is the definition of soul crushing, you can not expect people to do any of that without a reward. The fact that they even had the idea to do this proves the designers do not play their own content.

I attempted Marionette three times and Wurm once last night. All four failed. I got essentially zero loot from it and barely any XP. Disappointing, to say the least.

I understand that we don’t need to coddle players and reward failure, but with such dismal prospects for the time investment, I think interest for this content will wane pretty quickly.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

What you are seeing is the difference between a skill/loot central game and a TP central game.

In games like WoW Every boss and hard event drops an epic item if you manage to defeat them, but that item is always soulbound so you either use it or break it down into its powerful magical components and use those.

In GW2 everything is about the TP and how much money you can make. They need to limit the loot you get in every way possible to reduce inflation and keep items rare. You need tons of trash mobs to drop lots of random crap since every item has a cost of thousands of materials. This leads to everything feeling like a grind and the loot is always disappointing.

It is simply two different types of games.

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

Well, having no loot on the mobs for me is a sign that the designers at least see what players do. Having loot on the endless mobs spawning will just mean it’ll be another scarlet invasions, with people finding a way to manipulate the event to never proceed from the part where the mobs spawn so they can get more loot, and fighting between people trying to complete the event and people just trying to keep the loot train going as long as possible.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Posted by: Bragdras.9572

Bragdras.9572

I’m sorry, what? The amount of fragments you can grab, then head to scarlet’s lair and open up all the chests is great value, and then if you actually win the encounter itself you get a pretty good chest.

The only “bad” part of this is it renders your MF meaningless as it doesn’t affect loot chance from chests.

Posted by: Exquisitor.5076

Exquisitor.5076

It goes both ways. Remember the Toxic Offshoots everyone stopped doing once the achievements where done? If it isn’t worth the time put in, people will do something else. At least with the Scarlet invasion, you could be a week late and still finish the AP meta.

The Wurm may be permanent but nobody’s gonna bother with it when it takes 20-30 competent players going each direction in the same overflow. Alt. roll thumbs for 2 hours on a successful server like it is with Teq now for some rares and greens.

^This. Loot drives a lot of the play in this game. First Scarlett events were a blast, plus they were pretty lucrative. Then they were nerfed. No one does them anymore. Key pieces and keys are crap loot. So what you get a chest with blues and greens in it? I’d like to see a reduction in the key currencies. They take too much bag space and they’re essentially just another grind.

Biggest problem with marionette is the 2-hour interval. Some of us log in for an hour or so at a time. Watching a clock to log in to an overflow for 15 minutes of fail, yeah, that’s not particularly engaging game play.

Posted by: hedix.1986

hedix.1986

I understand that they want to avoid farms that kill the event like with Scarlet’s invasions, but with so many gold sinks introduced lately (ascended stuff, need to change builds, poor RNG), it feels like there’s just no reward for time spent. Reward should be increased for events that require ridiculous waiting times.

[QQ] – ex RoS, current Piken Square
[DV] – megaboss community

Posted by: Balsa.3951

Balsa.3951

maybe anet can do this events less frequently like 2 times a weeks but always different days and then make the loot higher.
Since this game become really huge now. Biggest mmo i ever played i feel its bigger then WOW already and keep growing.

There is so much to do now every day

Posted by: Bombsaway.7198

Bombsaway.7198

I PvE maybe 20% for fun (once and only once per encounter) and then 80% for loot to make me better in wvw. So, if the encounter lacks loot, what is the purpose?

Ideally, this should be a second way to get ascended gear as crafting is just a waste of time and effort. I want to fight not forge.

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

/slow clap

Great job ANet. You have finally convinced your players that grinding away mindlessly at never ending spawns of enemy mobs for no loot is a good thing. Lol. I applaude you.

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

You lot really fail to “get it”.

The mobs drop the cypher pieces. You convert them into items to open Scarlet’s Loot Chests. You do get loot from them in a manner of speaking, at least one completed cypher per event given the amount of watchworks you can kill. Chests have generally dropped me a couple of rares and a couple of greens or so.

You don’t get Champion loot because otherwise everyone would just use it as a champion farm and not necessarily play with the successful conclusion of the event in mind. Honestly don’t see what’s wrong with this.

Posted by: SnubFighter.7613

SnubFighter.7613

After reading through a number of these style threads. I think the summary of the issues is this:

• Not everyone likes the story, but wants new content so plays it anyway
  • Those who only get a couple hours to play feel its a waste of their valuable time
  • Hate waiting 2 hours to 90% of the time fail or be stuck in overflow
  • Not worth the 10% chance of extra special rewards(Ignoring Cypher Pieces)
    (You can get consistent results from Champ Trains, WvW Champs)
  • Hate collecting Cypher Pieces takes up room
  • Dislike having to rely on PUGs to complete an event that takes organization.

I think that pretty much sums things up.

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

The mobs drop components for a cypher. You can open chests in Scarlet’s base with the ciphers for loot. That seems reasonably fair to me, given they don’t want to encourage the preferential champion slaying just because of the loot they drop.

Figured those boxes were only for the journal. That they also drop loot makes the numbers seem more reasonable (50 once to unlock the room, 25 for each of the chests).

Posted by: Arkanaloth.3059

Arkanaloth.3059

I can see both sides…

on the one hand, people do farm events like these…. and don’t play it “to win” so I can understand taking loot drops out of the mob equation. Now people playing for farms have no reason to bother with the event at all…. course this diminishes the warm body count which is really needed to “hold the line” but that’s another topic…..

however, on the other hand…. given the difficulty of the events, it’s a pretty hefty amount of work for what amounts to a repair bill and little, if anything, else.

Gambit.8425

Yup, about 1 rare and 2 greens per chest unlock, and chance on recipes. So a fail, cause people in this game are so incredible bad and can’t kite or dodge a simple mechanic, is less loot than a normal world pinata event you can jump from one to next using a boss timer site.

Wurm on the other hand, one champion box on fail?

Arkanaloth.3059

if one is going for drops, champ farming in frostgorge has a MUCH higher RoI than any of these events.

rumor has it the odds of a precursor drop is a bit higher at big boss events, but from what I’ve seen it’s the odds of finding a needle with a .001 degree bend in a city block stacked 50 feet deep FULL of bent needles….

if you’re praying for precursor your best bet is to down a truckload of champs as many times as possible as quickly as possible and leave events like this alone.

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

So a fail, cause people in this game are so incredible bad and can’t kite or dodge a simple mechanic

YAWN

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I don’t understand what you would “farm” for this event… you are required to kill every mob that spawns already or you’ll fail the event.

You can’t farm any more than that… so saying that adding in loot would make people farm is kind of silly…

I can see for the wurm event, though most people here are complaining about scarlet.

Arkanaloth.3059

I agree… ZudetGambeous, there’s no reason for the marionette mobs to NOT drop loot.. you want as many warm bodies in that area of the fight as you can possibly get… so I don’t understand why they don’t drop loot, it’s almost like it was designed specifically against human nature to make it more difficult.

Gambit.8425

So a fail, cause people in this game are so incredible bad and can’t kite or dodge a simple mechanic

YAWN

Indeed, beyond tiresome to see the circles fill up with skulls.

Posted by: Blade Kuroda.1795

Blade Kuroda.1795

I don’t understand what you would “farm” for this event… you are required to kill every mob that spawns already or you’ll fail the event.

You can’t farm any more than that… so saying that adding in loot would make people farm is kind of silly…

I can see for the wurm event, though most people here are complaining about scarlet.

Sort of. One thing I can see happening with the marionette event if the mobs dropped loot like normal is that when it’s a lane’s turn to go through the gate… no one does that because they’re busy farming the mobs spawning.

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Sort of. One thing I can see happening with the marionette event if the mobs dropped loot like normal is that when it’s a lane’s turn to go through the gate… no one does that because they’re busy farming the mobs spawning.

Unless they made it so everybody in that lane is instantly thrown into the portal, but that could become bad if somebody was in the process of healing.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Posted by: bravoart.5308

bravoart.5308

Finish the fight, win or lose, and you get a kitten ton of loot. Not only from the bag you receive, but also from the chests you can unlock REPEATEDLY with the keys you obtain.

I literally had 20 + yellows and a few exotics from playing today. Mind you I have 30% magic find otherwise.

Loot is certainly not the problem.

Hmm…. and I got no loot for playing today and over 80% MF, funny how RNG works, right?

Even getting the shards to get the keys is nigh impossible. Thanks for giving me 3 shards, event that has 30 champions swarming players and killing them to the point that everyone’s gear is broken. It’s a slap in the face.

Loot is certainly a problem.

Finally I recalled the stopgap solution of a great princess who was told that the
peasants had no bread and who responded: “Let them eat brioche.”

Posted by: Zyphent.2967

Zyphent.2967

Other than that, I’m so far enjoying the new patch. The boss fights are difficult but interesting.

I think the only “Epic” monster I’ve really slain has been Teq. What you’re asking for is more hand-outs.

Teq pretty frequently gives me ~5 rares, thousands of Karma, sometimes and exotic, and one day (hopefully) a unique skinned Teq weapon. And look at the hardest dungeon, Aether Path, it has unique drops selling for hundreds of gold on the TP right now, I’d say the real challenges in this game do pay out.