Mari dodge achieves

Mari dodge achieves

in The Origins of Madness

Posted by: Zyphent.2967

Zyphent.2967

People are upset that they don’t get free achievement points just for tapping the dodge button once or twice? Wow.

Granted, it does suck that if you fail the whole event then its a wash, but give it time.

Mari dodge achieves

Posted by: Basket of Boxes.1976

Basket of Boxes.1976

It is not even like the achievement is that hard to do its that you need extreme luck to get competent players in your lane that can kill their wardens. I have no problem with difficult achievements, I completed 8 orbs on Liadri and loved it. Imagine if the 8 orb Liadri achievement not only required you to succeed but the next person to attempt it to succeed as well, does that make any sense. When I screwed up 8 orbs it was my fault not the spectators. However with these dodge ones you have no control over the other platforms and even when my platform kills their champion and manage to dodge the attacks there is usually one or two groups that fail.

There are two ways to fix it so these dodge achievements aren’t so ridiculous. Either A let players help out other platforms once they have completed theirs. Or B make it so if you kill the champion on your platform you get the achievement. With the current system its RNG on if each lane gets a good player who can kill the champs, at least let the good players carry the dead weight on the other platforms.

Mari dodge achieves

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

You guys do realize as long as YOUR platform completed it and YOU do not get hit by the attack for the entire duration YOU are on the platform you get the achievement right? I got the “Avoid the lightning attack!” Achievement and my platform was the only group competent enough to attack the boss from behind….

EDIT: Was totally wrong, didn’t realize how wrong I was until I got home and checked my achievements again.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

(edited by Durzlla.6295)

Mari dodge achieves

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

Should have seen this coming when people were asking for the game to be more like Dark Souls…

In Dark Souls, you can knock critters off a cliff, and a distant hit does not instaheal. Let’s get THOSE in the game.

Mari dodge achieves

Posted by: Rengaru.4730

Rengaru.4730

You guys do realize as long as YOUR platform completed it and YOU do not get hit by the attack for the entire duration YOU are on the platform you get the achievement right? I got the “Avoid the lightning attack!” Achievement and my platform was the only group competent enough to attack the boss from behind….

Thats wrong.

1. You do net get the achievement if a single other platform fails. A Dev even confirmed this in this very thread.
  2. The Champion you have to hit from behind gives the “Lightfoot” (Marionette stomping) Achievement, not the lightning attack.

(edited by Rengaru.4730)

Mari dodge achieves

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

Here is a question:

• Imagine two players.
  • Player A plays perfect. He dodges the Marionette every single time, but gets his achievement denied by another platform screwing up.
  • Player B is bad. He doesn’t know how to dodge and thus gets killed by the champion. However he lucks out and dies without the Marionette hitting him and the other players finish the encounter. Thus he gets the achievement.
  • Who earned the achievement?

By the logic of the internet… The one who complains and screams the loudest and longest.

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

Mari dodge achieves

Posted by: Lamir.6702

Lamir.6702

Please do not spread misinformation like this on the forums. As previously stated, marionette does not even use the lightning attack for that warden.

Mari dodge achieves

Posted by: Day Trooper.3605

Day Trooper.3605

Are the dodge achieves tied to particular lanes? (seems likely).

If so, does someone mind writing out each lane and dodge achieve? (lane 1 being the first portal event thru lane 5 being the last) ?

Mari dodge achieves

Posted by: CrouchingMoose.1908

CrouchingMoose.1908

it not so much tied to lanes as it is how many chains are severed. Each severed chain changes which Warden spawns and what attack the Marionette performs

Mari dodge achieves

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

Good, this game hands out too many free achievements. We need more titles/achievements that require difficult feats, with reward points to match.

This is a well designed achievement. It encourages you to actually try to do well at the event, in stead of chasing some meta gizmo that can actively hurt it. (I’m looking at you tequatl chest/failure achievements)

No, it requires you to do well AND all the others in your lane to do well. You could be awesome, but only one group needs to fail by seconds (which I had today), and you won’t get any reward for your awesomeness…

Mari dodge achieves

Posted by: Day Trooper.3605

Day Trooper.3605

it not so much tied to lanes as it is how many chains are severed. Each severed chain changes which Warden spawns and what attack the Marionette performs

Thx for clarifying – so to rephrase my question, in the event that all chain events succeed, what would the order of the dodge achieves be?

Mari dodge achieves

Rengaru.4730

Are the dodge achieves tied to particular lanes? (seems likely).

If so, does someone mind writing out each lane and dodge achieve? (lane 1 being the first portal event thru lane 5 being the last) ?

The achievements are tied to the numbers of chains already cut.

• With all chains attached the Marionette is fully mobile and stomps with both legs at the platforms -> You can get the “Marionette Lightfoot” achievement.
  • With one chain severed it loses controll of one foot and procedes to kick at the platforms ->You can get the “Marionette Sidestepper” achievement.
  • The next chain resembles the first arm (the one shooting lightning) -> You can get the “Marionette Short-Circuter”
  • The fourth resembles the second arm (the one with the sword) -&gt You can get the “Marionette Dodger” achievement.
  • The last chain holds the Marionettes head, and it screams at you -> You can get the “Marionette Muter” achievement.

In a perfect run each lane has a specific Champion and thus achievement tied to it, but if one lane fails the following lanes have to try the same Champion again, thus changing the order.

(edited by Rengaru.4730)

Mari dodge achieves

Posted by: Togashi Jack.9531

Togashi Jack.9531

The thing is, I’m actually quite certain that some of these achievements are in fact actually bugged. I’ve had several instances where I’ve gone in and avoided being hit by the High Kick attack and had the chain be severed and not had the chain click over. Its discouraging.

Mari dodge achieves

Posted by: Steel Fenrir.2791

Steel Fenrir.2791

Evading is easy, you get a target area warning for the attacks. Just kittening finish the mission folks. That big kitten robot is going down! Although I do think it will save us one day.

Mari dodge achieves

Steel Fenrir.2791

I see your point. But I think it is a good idea for it to be tied to the success of the event, since some players might just leave the others once they got the achievement, or run back and forth different lanes, not caring if the lane is doing good just so they could get more achievements. I think there should be a separate achievement for those types of players; Marionette Hit and Run.

(edited by Steel Fenrir.2791)

Mari dodge achieves

Rengaru.4730

I don’t think I get your point to be honest.

You can only enter a platform and attempt to get one of the dodger achievements every third cycle due to the debuff placed on you.

Thus people are already leaving their lanes to attempt specific achievements.

If they only had to suceed to kill a specific champion (+machine) while dodging the marionette once and not multiple times untill they get lucky, they wouldn’t even have to switch lanes in the first place.

Mari dodge achieves

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

People are getting upset that something that should be entirely in their hands is completely out of their hands. And they are right!!!!

Mari dodge achieves

Posted by: Togashi Jack.9531

Togashi Jack.9531

tbh, my sidestepper is legit bugged and doesn’t get awarded even if I’ve avoided all high kick attacks and the event succeeds..

Mari dodge achieves

Posted by: Sir Isaac The Great.5341

Sir Isaac The Great.5341

This is such a joke….because people are bad and fail this when inside I am punished as well. I finished my part and was not hit the entire time….yet kitten s who can not avoid OBVIOUS orange circles fail so I keep having to come back until I get a non fail group.

How did you think this was a good idea when you thought it up?

Mari dodge achieves

Posted by: Veydar.5017

Veydar.5017

This must be bugged or I am doing something wrong. I have completed the Marionette fight twice. I almost never get hit by anything I don’t even have to dodge the circles most of the time, you can just walk out of it. My lane has only once failed their portal phase, in all the other (8?) runs, they always succeeded and I have NO DODGE ACHIEVEMENT whatsoever.

Mari dodge achieves

Posted by: SSGroguey.5841

SSGroguey.5841

I had gotten a fairly decent load time when it was my turn to go through the portal, so I was able to react to the circles (I’ve had a few problems where I load in insta down or with no time to react from a loading screen and my character not moving as soon as I load in), but tonight I loaded in fairly quickly, killed the champ and avoided the circles. However, one group didn’t have enough dps (be it they had a small group or too many dead), so we failed. I go to double check my achievement progress and am deeply confused when I don’t have another dodge achievement done, only to read from several sources that the chain has to be successfully severed to get credit for a dodge chieve.

I think it’s kind of strange honestly that an achievement about me dodging attacks should depend on 4 other groups of people successfully killing their champion and regulator. Win or lose, I just think it makes more sense that the achievement would count after your fight.

If anything were to maybe be tied to the chain being broken, I would think killing the champion would’ve been the better option here.

Mari dodge achieves

Steel Fenrir.2791

@ Rengaru, it’s only now I learned about the debuff, but even with a debuff, there is no guarantee people won’t leave the others behind after they got what they wanted.

Mari dodge achieves

Posted by: rogerwilko.6895

rogerwilko.6895

hahah this game is great fun!
is it not?

Mari dodge achieves

Posted by: Celeras.4980

Celeras.4980

I love achievements like this. Thank you for including them in the game!

They are optional for the meta, so I don’t even comprehend the argument against them. If you don’t like them, don’t do them.

Mari dodge achieves

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

I love achievements like this. Thank you for including them in the game!

They are optional for the meta, so I don’t even comprehend the argument against them. If you don’t like them, don’t do them.

Really? People do want to do them, but they don’t want their reward to depend upon the success of others.

They say you’re only as strong as your weakest link. I’d rather control my own success than have to hope the person who I don’t know and have never talked to knows what to do so I can be rewarded.

Edit: Not to mention the bug (or working as intended?) where 1 person can get teleported to a platform by him/herself, pretty much ensuring a failure.

RIP in peace Robert

(edited by Ethics.4519)

Mari dodge achieves

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Thats wrong.

1. You do net get the achievement if a single other platform fails. A Dev even confirmed this in this very thread.
  2. The Champion you have to hit from behind gives the “Lightfoot” (Marionette stomping) Achievement, not the lightning attack.

Ah yup, just realized that when I got lightfoot tonight, the one I was thinking of was the 3rd champ, for some reason thought the first one gave it to me when we failed it….

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

Mari dodge achieves

Posted by: Frost.2908

Frost.2908

This whole living story phase is based on team work and a combined effort and that seems to be what anet is including in these achievements. Were so use to depending only on ourselves but when you communicate with the others in your map and plan ahead(a lot of people are still new to this) you have a greater chance of success.

I’ve already completed all of the living story achievements and yes with a few retries due to platform failures but that’s what will make it feel like that much more of an achievement later

Mari dodge achieves

Posted by: Sir Isaac The Great.5341

Sir Isaac The Great.5341

I have never read such a whiney bunch of rubbish. You sound like the cry babies who spit their dummy out when the Oak gets killed before the Troll in Queensdale.

Generally the only people not upset by this are the ones causing the failures.

Mari dodge achieves

Posted by: Miss Sugarific.8471

Miss Sugarific.8471

Dodging isn’t the problem for me either. It’s staying connected long enough to finish the event. Considering how many people I found in overflow reporting the same issue, I’d say the achievements need to take into account both loading screen times and the fact that the servers aren’t stable. And no, it’s not just me and my ISP. Check the bug forums. Connection issues have only been getting worse.

They either need to fix their servers or stop making achievements and boss fights that can be failed simply because the instance takes too long to load or you dc.

I agree! I could’ve gotten two achievements, but it took me 30+ seconds to load onto the platform during which time the marionette hits me, I’m assuming. I dodged everything nicely after I loaded, but didn’t get anything.

Mari dodge achieves

Posted by: Lothirieth.3408

Lothirieth.3408

I agree! I could’ve gotten two achievements, but it took me 30+ seconds to load onto the platform during which time the marionette hits me, I’m assuming. I dodged everything nicely after I loaded, but didn’t get anything.

The loading screen issue is making very angry. I dodge everything perfectly whilst I can actually play, but it seems during the 20-30s loading screens I’m experiencing (have my graphic all set to low, recent deleted the dat file) I get hit by one of the attacks.

I finally was part of a successful marionette kill (yay!) but I couldn’t even get the cheering achievement because the marionette was gone before I loaded in!!!

It’s annoying to have such horrid game performance on low settings (seriously, my PC cannot be that bad for low settings) and this now also affecting my ability to complete achievements.

(edited by Lothirieth.3408)

Mari dodge achieves

Posted by: Rayn.6437

Rayn.6437

Now after 8 trys on line 3, it is more then frustating to look other players fails. You can not help, only look the fail on other platforms. I dodge everything, every try and get nothing. This is a great fail design and not funny at all.

Thanks for hours of waiting, only to see players who can not play ….

Mari dodge achieves

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

[…]

Game development 101: When you expect people to be unresponsive in a location in which they may face danger, you put interactions with their character on hold (invulnerable but also unable to attack, etc) until they become responsive again, at which moment you remove the effect.

They already do this with vistas and other cinematics. Why not here?

My guess is that there’s a supernatural entity infiltrated among ANet’s 350 employees. This entity feeds on frustration like Canthan gaki feed on the frustration of getting your skills interrupted. In order to eat, it manages to slip in updates all sorts of frustrating things, and manages to keep them working as long as possible. When the frustrating things get fixed, this entity manages to produce and slip another one. In this case miniatures would no longer be deposited, so that was a lot less frustration to eat, and so it had to make something big to compensate.

I hope that thing gets an indigestion.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Mari dodge achieves

Posted by: Shpongle.6025

Shpongle.6025

I have never read such a whiney bunch of rubbish. You sound like the cry babies who spit their dummy out when the Oak gets killed before the Troll in Queensdale.

Generally the only people not upset by this are the ones causing the failures.

Yep.

Are you Shpongled?

Mari dodge achieves

Posted by: Shpongle.6025

Shpongle.6025

It is not even like the achievement is that hard to do its that you need extreme luck to get competent players in your lane that can kill their wardens. I have no problem with difficult achievements, I completed 8 orbs on Liadri and loved it. Imagine if the 8 orb Liadri achievement not only required you to succeed but the next person to attempt it to succeed as well, does that make any sense. When I screwed up 8 orbs it was my fault not the spectators. However with these dodge ones you have no control over the other platforms and even when my platform kills their champion and manage to dodge the attacks there is usually one or two groups that fail.

There are two ways to fix it so these dodge achievements aren’t so ridiculous. Either A let players help out other platforms once they have completed theirs. Or B make it so if you kill the champion on your platform you get the achievement. With the current system its RNG on if each lane gets a good player who can kill the champs, at least let the good players carry the dead weight on the other platforms.

Yep. Exactly. Very unpleasant experience for me.

Are you Shpongled?

Mari dodge achieves

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

Having to rely on a bunch of strangers =/= difficulty.

Mari dodge achieves

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

The thing is, I’m actually quite certain that some of these achievements are in fact actually bugged. I’ve had several instances where I’ve gone in and avoided being hit by the High Kick attack and had the chain be severed and not had the chain click over. Its discouraging.

Same thing has happened to me and some friends on multiple occasions. For one of my attempts it was down to me not loading fast enough and getting stomped while on loadscreen. But the others I loaded instantly, yet still no achieve.

Mari dodge achieves

Posted by: Sarevok.2638

Sarevok.2638

2 problems with these achievements.

1. You cannot control your character during the loading screen transitions, which is complete nonsense it’s requried because it’s LESS THAN A MINIMAP SCREEN AWAY. The Marionette can come and shatter your attempt unless you have an ungodly powerful computer and SSD.

2. Complete reliance on strangers, you can defeat your regulator with a flawless victory, the mari not touching at all and yet because some people you have ABSOLUTELY ZERO WAYS TO ASSIST screw it up, YOU get punished.

Terrible choices here.

Mari dodge achieves

Posted by: Nilas.2605

Nilas.2605

Since this is the way they choose to design it, the achievement-designers should at least have included this rather vital information in the achievement description.

Mari dodge achieves

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

I’ve done the marionette event 12 times now I believe and despite my best efforts I still don’t have any of these platform avoidance achievements. Loading times is also very wierd. Sometimes I teleport instantly, and at other times I’m looking at a loading screen for 10 seconds.

Ah well, at least I got my useless sprocket node and can just use the events to farm keys now without having to bother with these iron-fist restrictions for the platform achievements.

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

Mari dodge achieves

Posted by: Jimaruto.5389

Jimaruto.5389

Guys, I think devs should investigate more. I have just done 2 times “Marionette Sidestepper” without getting hit by Marionate attacks and all 5 cyrcles around me succeeding too and I got no achievement again. I am tired of succeeding and failing due to bugs. Pfff!

Mari dodge achieves

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

None of the achievements are bugged. The only one that could potentially be having issues is the dismisser one and sometimes you don’t get the /cheer to register. This could be due to the amount of people spamming it and the system isn’t able to count each one.

Mari dodge achieves

Posted by: ESKan.6782

ESKan.6782

I hate how there are five achievements and you need to wait two hours between each try. Plain and simple as that.

[PD] – Far Shiverpeaks.
Nameless Inversion/Ascension/Evasion/Ruination/Impression/Perdition/Compassion/Tactician
Guild Wars 2 will be an amazing game when it’s finished. Compare Prophecies to EotN!

Mari dodge achieves

Posted by: sniper general.3549

sniper general.3549

I am having same issue as jimaruto, it’s incredibly frustrating. I got one and five but when i do the same exact thing for 2 or 3 (havent done 4 yet) i dont get the achievement.

Mari dodge achieves

Posted by: Sir Black.7423

Sir Black.7423

So I’ve got to:
- Get in a lane with 20+ people so we even have a chance to beat the wardens.
- Hope we don’t get screwed over by randomness and disconnects such that one platform as too few people to succeed.
- Hope people don’t just plain suck or suffer from bad luck and fail their platforms.
- Hope I don’t miss a dodge while trying to concentrate on the champion.
- Hope the champion doesn’t insta-down me by dropping a bomb right on top of me or something stupid like that.
- Hope I don’t load in too slowly and get hit before I can even control my character.

And if my luck doesn’t hold, I’ve got at best two attempts per fight and then 2 hours between fights to even attempt this again…

Honestly, the more I do this fight the more I’m finding these achievements frustrating and depressing. I’m getting to the point where the only way I’ll enjoy this fight is to force myself to forget these achievements even exist.

Mari dodge achieves

Posted by: arkealia.2713

arkealia.2713

What’s fun with those achievements is when you get a loading screen, by the time you get there you’ve already been hit by the marionette.
And getting the last two ones is really a pain since players tend to fail the 3rd event a lot.

Mari dodge achieves

Posted by: Firefly.5982

Firefly.5982

I am adding my own disappointment and anger to this thread, because I got to let it out instead of letting it eat on me >.>

I need the 3rd and 5th warden dodge achievements. Obviously the 3rd one is the one people seem to have most trouble with and even getting to the 5th one is hard. So. I have been doing this stupid, ridiculous event over and over and over again to try and finish the 3rd and 5th warden. I play perfect every time. I dodge every time. And most of the time MY platform even kills their warden.

This system is SO messed up. And stuff like this is the reason I only ever come back to playing when a new patch comes out, finish the achievements as fast as possible and then don’t play again until the next patch. I am not enjoying this game anymore due to mechanics like this and that’s just sad

Mari dodge achieves

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

While I don’t mind the set up for this event by itself. The dodge achievements for it are counter productive. On paper you will have 20-25 people for each lane. They do their respective events and stay put. In reality, due to the dodge achievement you have people who constantly jump lanes to the one they need. I’ve seen 10 people all leave a lane at the same time to run to the next one, because a lane failed their event. This tells me they want a certain boss. By doing so the success of the entire event comes into jeopardy. On top of that the dodge achievements only get rewarded if everyone succeeds in killing their champ. So people might have to repeat the behaviour of lane jumping many times before they succeed.
How do I know, because it’s how I did it. At first it didn’t matter, but the more I got done, the less choice in which boss I needed to face I got. until I only had one boss left. I needed the third boss last so if a lane failed I skipped to the next one. In the end I just stopped participating at all until I was certain which lane would get my boss.
3 Things stopped me from being able to finish the achievements sooner.
1. Loading screen. You load and bam, attack in the face.
2. Others failing the event.
3. Lag. I’ve gotten hit, but on my screen I wasn’t inside any of the aoe areas. This was both positioning lag and loading lag. Sometimes there simply wouldn’t be an aoe circle at all.

Fixes for these could be as followed
1. Shorten the portal timer by 5 seconds and at a 5-10 second wait before the actual fight starts.
2. Create individual events for each platform. Succeed your mini event and you get the achievement. If all 5 succeed the overall event succeeds and the chain gets cut.
3. not as easy to fix, but one of the causes simply is to many people nearby. Lanes where a good idea, but maybe they needed a bit more spreading.

Achievements shouldn’t have to depend on the success of others. they should also not be counter productive and jeopardize the event’s success it is attached to.

Mari dodge achieves

Posted by: Excruciator.5249

Excruciator.5249

I have just fallen through the platform to my death for the third time after successfully defeating the lane 5 warden without being hit by the Marionette. I have no idea why or how this is happening, my character simply clips through the floor.

To fight this warden and gain this achievement, a number of criteria must be met.

1. Lanes need to successfully defeat four wardens prior to this. This is not all that common an occurence on most servers as I undrstand.

2. All 5 platforms need to succeed in killing the warden and the power regulator sufficiently expediently. Needless to say, more often than not a platform wipes.

3. I need to make sure I’m not downed during the fight, the only non common factor here since I only have to rely on my own skill.

4. I need to hope I don’t suffer from a nonsensical bug and end up falling to my death, thus adding a further random fail condition to the aforementioned common occurrences.

May I suggest you think a little more carefully about achievement suitability and completion criteria in future events?

Currently these achievements encourage players to play ultra cautiously and with a massive focus on self preservation above all else, in an event which requires a measure of coordination, teamwork and focused application of dps. I find it more than a little silly that these achievements encourage players to play in a manner which is counterproductive to these aims.

Moreover I find it massively irritating that after achieveing what should be a success despite these various factors, I am denied by a ridiculous bug. Not once, not twice, but three times.

Mari dodge achieves

Posted by: BlazerellaNine.1026

BlazerellaNine.1026

My issue with these achievements is that they are considerably more difficult to earn (need to dodge marionette while dealing with a skilled champion AND successfully cut the chain) and tied to temporary content.

If they were attached to the new wurm instead, I would love the challenge. The new achievements for Triple Trouble are ridiculous easy in comparison. I have 9/10 already and it’s permanent…

Blazerella Nine – Human Elementalist
Mercenaries Of Anarchy[MOA] (SBI)

Mari dodge achieves

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

Guys, is there some special way how to get Muter achievement? I am pretty sure I was not standing in any of her aoes and we finished the warden 5 event in time, but still i didn’t get it.