Marionette event kills people not doing event

in The Origins of Madness

Posted by: Fiddlesticks.5693

Fiddlesticks.5693

After failing the marionette living story event, there’s that laser that kills everyone. I was leveling in the zone far from the event and I got killed by that. I was a bit more than miffed. Please change it to only those participating in the event.

Posted by: DeathWraith.6341

DeathWraith.6341

It should stay how it is. It’s suppose to kill absolutely everything in the area when it wins. If it didn’t kill those not at the event the weapon test failed.

SoS
Leader of [RES]
Resonance

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Get off the map or help.

Posted by: Scumbag Mawile.6384

Scumbag Mawile.6384

For temporary content that only happens once every even hour? Nah. Not only is it hilarious, it adds a bit of meat to the marionette actually being dangerous.

Disciple of Quag

Posted by: Qaelyn.7612

Qaelyn.7612

I’ve just had the joy of being part of the event and seeing it fail in part because the instance was capped but a big bunch of players in LP refused to help out.

Consider yourselves lucky all you get is a repair bill.

Posted by: yanipheonu.5798

yanipheonu.5798

Eh honestly its a cool little bit of dynamic content.

LOL Though they should make it more clear why it happens XD Ive seen come new people clueless on the chat trying to figure out what happened.

A little message on screen would help.

It’s a bit of a problem lately: lack of conveyance.

Posted by: tweeve.3782

tweeve.3782

I agree if you are not helping please leave the area or go to an overflow server.

I know on HoD we have asked map chat that people who are not going to do the event to please leave so someone from overflow could join in. During prime time on HoD we can hard cap the server half an hour out from the marionette. I dont even want to know what the camping time on more popular servers are. So yeah if you are not going to join the fight please leave so others can join.

We figure that if someone ignores us and we do fail. We can laugh at them for dying if they say anything, as we did ask them to leave.

Posted by: timidobserver.7925

timidobserver.7925

A single death isn’t really that bad honestly.

Posted by: Lindelle.3718

Lindelle.3718

I agree with the others. People wanted content that affected you when you lose, and we got it. Death is so trivial in this game compared to other MMOs. If you lost exp or there weren’t waypoints littered all over the game map, I would understand. But this was supposed to be a “real” threat that will kill us all if we fail.

Edit: Also I agree its funny, we should all learn to laugh a little more at wipes and not take pixellated deaths so seriously.

Lindelle Ulfsvitr – Norn Ranger
“Walk with the pack. In the eyes of Wolf, we are all brothers and sisters.”

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

Taimi, Marjory, Kasmeer, Braham, Rox….all dead. Scarlet’s weapon test has left Tyria without heroes.

Oh well, time for Density’s Edge 3.0. We need a Skritt, Centaur, Ettin and Cave Troll with a Quaggan to lead them.

Posted by: Chaotic Storm.2815

Chaotic Storm.2815

I can see it now some poor guy whose new to the game and still leveling kills off some helpless rabbit only to have their kitten independance dayed right after.

#ELEtism

(edited by Chaotic Storm.2815)

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Taimi, Marjory, Kasmeer, Braham, Rox….all dead. Scarlet’s weapon test has left Tyria without heroes.

Oh well, time for Density’s Edge 3.0. We need a Skritt, Centaur, Ettin and Cave Troll with a Quaggan to lead them.

Actually all of them say something along the lines of “Save yourselves!!” and book it out of the zone, Kasmeer actually drops a portal and jumps through it lol.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

They need to buff it to kill all the mobs and wildlife in the zone as well.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

Maybe it failed because you weren’t there.

Just a thought.

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

I see nothing wrong with a super weapon acting like a super weapon.

Posted by: Lindelle.3718

Lindelle.3718

YES.

Lindelle Ulfsvitr – Norn Ranger
“Walk with the pack. In the eyes of Wolf, we are all brothers and sisters.”

Posted by: Magnethead.6075

Magnethead.6075

LOL Though they should make it more clear why it happens XD Ive seen come new people clueless on the chat trying to figure out what happened.

Maybe have it so everyone in the lanes and maybe a little bit away from the area gets killed, but everyone else ‘just’ gets downed.

Aurora Glade
Rogues Gallery [RG]

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

well they did say that the weapon has the power to wipe everyone in the region. maybe if you had helped… :P

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Chaotic Storm.2815

If anything its not enough! I say lions arc should be affected as well! it be funny to watch a whole populated city go boom.

#ELEtism

(edited by Chaotic Storm.2815)

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

it’s funnier without a message.

somewhere, someone has grown a chronic phobia of killing critters in GW2.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Chaotic Storm.2815

EXACTLY! tyrias 6 gods smit all who harm the innocent rabbits.

#ELEtism

Durzlla.6295

Lol omg, I’m just thinking of it now, someone’s running through Lornars and every time they throw a fireball at a passing critter they instantly die xD.

Chaotic Storm.2815

Lol omg, I’m just thinking of it now, someone’s running through Lornars and every time they throw a fireball at a passing critter they instantly die xD.

we can make that an living story event. some crazy asura put some new experimental chemical in the zones water supply and now everything has a random chance of mutating on death into some abomination or maybe just explodes taking you with it.

#ELEtism

Durzlla.6295

we can make that an living story event. some crazy asura put some new experimental chemical in the zones water supply and now everything has a random chance of mutating on death into some abomination or maybe just explodes taking you with it.

Lol make it so it only affects critters and some wildlife (animals) in the zone and I’d totally be down!

Chaotic Storm.2815

Lol make it so it only affects critters and some wildlife (animals) in the zone and I’d totally be down!

we can even call it “when critters attack”

#ELEtism

Posted by: Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

I agree it should wipe the area of players, participating or not.
Keep Map chat open and be aware of the conversation. If it sounds like things are going badly, zone until it is over.

“Look like the innocent flower, but be the Obaba under’t.”

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

I think the design should have gone a step further and should have changed the map partwise, like how it happens when you fail Tequatl, that the place is then full of dangerous explosive fish heads….

if you fail the marionette, the place should look alot more destroyed after that Weapon Teast .. come on, i mean, the whole place gets shot by a huge Laser Beam…

Somethign like that should leave a mark on the land… at least as long until the Marionette comes back and the signs of the last battle reset, like all the fish heads also diseapper when you battle again with Tequatl.

WOuld give simply alot more immersion, if the area would look more damaged after a fail

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: LittleFoot MacLoyd.6032

LittleFoot MacLoyd.6032

Get off the map or help.

This made me laugh xD

Posted by: FateOmega.9601

FateOmega.9601

Everything including mobs should also die for best effect.

Posted by: animalmom.1062

animalmom.1062

Hah, this would have annoyed me in Everquest or the original DAOC but since there is no death penalty in GW2, it doesn’t.

I actually think it’s pretty cool

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

Get off the map or help.

^ This. Because I can’t thumb it up enough. Because after a dozen fails in overflows, I had to camp my home server to finally make it.

I’d actually suggest putting a condition onto every player on the map who’s not fighting the boss which would drain there hp. Like, “twisted magnetic field”.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

Leave it the way it is Anet. If you are in the zone and not willing to help out with the event then you should face the consequences when that event fails. If you don’t want to, leave the zone and give the spot to someone who actually wants to help.

Posted by: Groonz.7825

Groonz.7825

I’m sure this is done on intention to give that message “This affects all of you, don’t want to die? you should help out.”

Posted by: Aenesthesia.1697

Aenesthesia.1697

After failing the marionette living story event, there’s that laser that kills everyone. I was leveling in the zone far from the event and I got killed by that. I was a bit more than miffed. Please change it to only those participating in the event.

knowing this is a temporary content, that people are queing for the event, and that many get sent to random overflows due to the zone being full, I’d say it’s rather inconsiderate behaviour for people leveling in the zone not to lend a hand (as there are many other places where you can level). Death is the least you deserved! bwa ha ha ha ha ha haha…. (evil voice)

Posted by: Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

Having been on a map when Scarlet’s invasions had just started was an “enlightening” experience. I had the choice of joining the zerg to survive, or opting out and getting overrun by mobs.
This is how Dynamic Events work, with the failure to assists some situations has an effect how you will need to play in an area if a conflict isn’t dealt with.
In Bloodtide Coast, wurms randomly spawn outside of the main event throughout the area. Scarlet now appears and attacks wherever mass concentrations of players are in combat (World Boss Trains).

“Look like the innocent flower, but be the Obaba under’t.”

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

That cannon even kills you if you turn on an invulnerability skill in time

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: HazeBot.3147

HazeBot.3147

My guild had our bounty last night and we got Bookworm so we had to go to Lornar’s Pass well it was right when Marionette started. So we had to find it in an overflow because we couldn’t get into the main map. Then from there we had to taxi people into the overflow which got hardcapped. Luckily we killed Bookworm right before the overflow failed and killed the whole guild. It was definitely a bounty to remember.

(edited by HazeBot.3147)

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I think the design should have gone a step further and should have changed the map partwise, like how it happens when you fail Tequatl, that the place is then full of dangerous explosive fish heads….

if you fail the marionette, the place should look alot more destroyed after that Weapon Teast .. come on, i mean, the whole place gets shot by a huge Laser Beam…

Somethign like that should leave a mark on the land… at least as long until the Marionette comes back and the signs of the last battle reset, like all the fish heads also diseapper when you battle again with Tequatl.

WOuld give simply alot more immersion, if the area would look more damaged after a fail

The laser blasts seem concentrated on players only, its not like there’s just a massive blast that covers the entire sky or anything, you see a single beam descend on each player. So maybe its precisely targeted at only sentient lifeforms or something.

And maybe its not a laser blast in the normal sense. Maybe its something that nullifies life force (or even draws it in) or something, so it only affects living things and not the terrain.

Seems kind of farfetched, but this IS Scarlet we’re talking about. She rejects your reality and substitutes her own.

Posted by: Kalarchis.8635

Kalarchis.8635

I wish these threads were a joke. There was one last week where the player didn’t even know what had killed him.

Look. If somehow you didn’t read the update, don’t notice the swatch of commander tags, the endless map chat about the event, or the fact that we’re all camping main server and loading overflows just to do the thing, or you did notice those things and still didn’t help, then frankly you deserve to be killed by the laser.

These two weeks are NOT a good time to be in Lornar’s unless you’re there for the event. Level somewhere else please.

Posted by: Fafnir.5124

Fafnir.5124

it is leaving in 1 week most likely so why are u complaining…

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Get off the map or help.

Don’t tell other people how they should play the game.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

By dying, you were participating in the Living Story. If we were in real life, and a villain was aiming a super weapon at the city I was leveling in, I’m not going to stick around killing ten rats and hoping the army wins. I’d be on my way out until I knew it was safe.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: JBDanger.2603

JBDanger.2603

By dying, you were participating in the Living Story. If we were in real life, and a villain was aiming a super weapon at the city I was leveling in, I’m not going to stick around killing ten rats and hoping the army wins. I’d be on my way out until I knew it was safe.

But this isn’t real life, it’s a game I play to escape real life! If this game were comparable to real life, many of us wouldn’t feel the need to play it. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to waypoint to work. Have a great night!

Posted by: Zorby.8236

Zorby.8236

At level 80 you’re looking at a 2-3 silver cost for waypoint and repair, and even lower at lower levels. Get over yourself. I love that a world boss fail have an actual consequence, we need more of this!

Yes, it should wipe everything. Players dead, Friendly npcs dead, hostile mobs dead…critters, you guessed it, dead!

~This is the internet, my (or your) opinion doesn’t matter~

Posted by: Grimno.6172

Grimno.6172

I find it to be an enjoyable mechanic.
The weapon states it can wipe out an entire Region… which is the whole map.
If someone walks into the map for the first time and gets a face-full of laser… when they ask what happened, just say

“Scarlet Happened”

Grimno Lvl 80 WR
Lance Delgado Lvl 20 Thief

Fluffball.8307

Get off the map or help.

Then don’t ruin an event for 160 people. As someone mentioned, you know what’s going on. You know people are scrambling to get on this map. GET OFF, die, or participate. Insanely rude to be on this map if you’re tooting around farming onions.

If you saw a soccer game taking place would you decide to start looking for four leaf clovers in the middle of the field?

(edited by Fluffball.8307)

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Get off the map or help.

Then don’t ruin an event for 160 people. As someone mentioned, you know what’s going on. You know people are scrambling to get on this map. GET OFF, die, or participate. Insanely rude to be on this map if you’re tooting around farming onions.

If you saw a soccer game taking place would you decide to start looking for four leaf clovers in the middle of the field?

I don’t recall any notice from Anet that says Lornar’s Pass is now reserved for people doing the LS.

Do you go to a playground and expect everyone to leave just because you want to play soccer?

Posted by: DeathWraith.6341

DeathWraith.6341

Get off the map or help.

I don’t recall any notice from Anet that says Lornar’s Pass is now reserved for people doing the LS.

Do you go to a playground and expect everyone to leave just because you want to play soccer?

Don’t cry about a repair bill when you know you could have helped out to prevent your death.

SoS
Leader of [RES]
Resonance

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Oh noes! 1s64c (tops) and a trip to the nearest waypoint for ignoring the GIANT WARNING SIGNS on the corner of your screen for 20-25 minutes.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Fluffball.8307

Yes, if it is a designated soccer game time. I mean I really can’t fathom how inconsiderate someone would have to be to shove themselves on to this map at this point just to do “defend the bridge”. You’re not doing it except to be contrary. I refuse to believe anyone is THAT rude than to do this specifically to be contrary. “Oh I don’t like this meta so I’m going to level up in the 15th overflow of some random map, let’s say… Lornar’s Pass.”