Marionette's nuke from space

in The Origins of Madness

Posted by: technonewt.2907

technonewt.2907

I really enjoyed the Marionette boss, the only thing I had an issue was when I’m clear across the map, not even participating in the event, didn’t even know it was going on, minding my own business fighting a champ near Scarlet’s Secret Lair and I get zapped dead by the Marionettes laser. -.-

Posted by: BazeDragon.3927

BazeDragon.3927

This is really the first event in the game that, to me, feels like there are consequences for failure (even though those consequences are a small monetary payment by all people in the zone).
I love it.

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I do like the Marionette fight, but zapping people on the other side of the map is unfair. These players can’t even see the notification that this event is up, and get killed out of nowhere. Kill the players that are participating in the event, not the players that are somewhere in this gigantic map.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

There was a guild about to finish their guild rush when the whole map died. They proceeded to get mad at our 11pm group that failed the marionette because it failed their rush, to which of course we wondered why the heck they didn’t come help with the Marionette because we were spamming that we needed more people the entire time.

It actually made the defeat better having them wipe. Their guild helping with Marionette would have undoubtedly seen us succeed, we wiped on Warden 5 but only because of leaks right at the very end. A problem their guild would have aided with greatly.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

If you are in the zone during the event (It’s every single even server hour) and you are not assisting in the event you can expect to pay the consequences for your failure to assist. Being blasted by the laser is entirely your own fault.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

Posted by: Darkbattlemage.9612

Darkbattlemage.9612

This looks quite familiar… oh yeah the whole argument between the farmers and other players during the Queen’s Gauntlet.

I’m the Asura Elementalist that stole all your cookies, well except the oatmeal ones.
Chaos always finds a way, who you think Evil learned it from?

Posted by: Thinsett.3789

Thinsett.3789

If you are in the zone during the event (It’s every single even server hour) and you are not assisting in the event you can expect to pay the consequences for your failure to assist. Being blasted by the laser is entirely your own fault.

I’m sorry, but are you saying that it is REQUIRED of all people on the map that they come and participate in Mari? And here I thought it was a big open world and we were supposed to be allowed to play how we want.

Kumu Honua.2751

No, you aren’t REQUIRED, but if the event fails you eat the laser. Consequences.

Thinsett.3789

What does required mean, except that you will be punished if you don’t do it? That’s like saying going to jail for murder doesn’t mean we’re not required not to kill, cos after all we still have the option, it’s just there are consequences.

The point being that the imposition of those consequences in this case is unjust, and contrary to the stated design of the game itself. If your only point is to say there are consequences, yeah we know that. That’s the point. What’s being argued is they shouldn’t be there, not for everyone map-wide. Give an argument as to why it’s better that they are there and we can talk about it.

Kumu Honua.2751

Required means that you have no choice in the matter. You have a choice. You can participate or not.

The event is part of the story of the game. You can choose to ignore it and keep doing what you are doing, but that does not mean that you are immune to consequences such as dying to the loss laser.

Much like you can be working on a heart quest only to get interrupted by a dynamic event. It’s a consequence of the game world. You either participate or not. You have that choice, but the game will carry on regardless.

Thinsett.3789

Required means that you have no choice in the matter. You have a choice. You can participate or not.

The event is part of the story of the game. You can choose to ignore it and keep doing what you are doing, but that does not mean that you are immune to consequences such as dying to the loss laser.

Much like you can be working on a heart quest only to get interrupted by a dynamic event. It’s a consequence of the game world. You either participate or not. You have that choice, but the game will carry on regardless.

That is NOT what required means, I’m sorry. See my already stated analogy about being required not to kill, despite it being an option for you to do it in many situations. You have a choice, but it’s required you avoid it in the sense that you will be punished (justly in this case) for making a certain choice because society (rightly) has deemed that choice to be wrong. Anet has effectively imposed a penalty on people for not playing (and winning!) the event, thus requiring them to participate. Now, semantics aside, as I said, whether we call it requirement or not, the question is whether the event is built in a way that is good for the game, fair to the players, and true to what anet advertises as their design philosophy. You argue that it is good for the game because it creates consequences for not helping out with the event. I can see that point, but it doesn’t move me, because it detracts from the GAME. I don’t want to have to choose between playing a crappy event my server always loses, ignoring it and getting killed for no reason, or leaving the map I wanted to play on. This is far and away more intrusive than an event popping up in the middle of a heart quest (most of which are soloable and usually contribute to the heart anyway, but at worst simply require that you approach the heart differently or come back later to that tiny spot on the map). In those cases, you aren’t forced to map out, do something you despise, or die. Really different. Apples and oranges.

Now, repair and wp costs associated with getting killed for no reason are small, and not a big deal. It’s just irritating and stupid. It contributes nothing to the marionette event itself. It just bends a number of players over a chair for no reason.

Kumu Honua.2751

You are playing Guild Wars 2. Guild Wars 2 has a living story. Parts of the living story change things in the world. One of the recent changes is that there is a superweapon in Lornar’s Pass. One in which if it’s not stopped shoots a zonewide laser to kill everyone.

You can choose to participate in the event or not. It will not stop the event from affecting you. When scarlet was invading zones it was the same thing. While you were doing something Scarlet would show up smack you upside the head and then disappear.

OR the entire zone would be covered in a massive amount of clockworks and such. It’s the same thing. Zone wide interruptions. The choices then, are the same as now. Participate or not.

Expect more of it in the future. Participate or not. Suffer the consequences either way.

Thinsett.3789

You keep saying the same thing like I haven’t already replied, but whatever.
A zone-wide invasion would be far preferable to an insta-kill just for being in the zone.

Why not just kill everyone in LA while you’re at it? After all, they should have participated. We know when and where it happens. sigh

Pragmatically, I know what I do in response. The point is if this is good game design. This one element of the story is stupid. It makes sense as a bit of story, but it doesn’t have to be there for the story to work just as well, and it’s bad for the game. End of story. I’m done repeating myself.

Kumu Honua.2751

It’s a single zone. Every 2 hours. A zone that is normally unused. It’s also temporary and will be gone in a week (Possibly. Not fully known yet.)

Suck it up buttercup.

End of story will be in a week. Then when the next event happens you can repeat yourself and complain that you shouldn’t be interrupted in LA.

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

I see nothing wrong with a super weapon functioning, as you know, a super weapon.

Why not just kill everyone in LA while you’re at it? After all, they should have participated. We know when and where it happens. sigh

So about that…….

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/prepare-for-the-escape-from-lions-arch/

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

You keep saying the same thing like I haven’t already replied, but whatever.
A zone-wide invasion would be far preferable to an insta-kill just for being in the zone.

Pragmatically, I know what I do in response. The point is if this is good game design. This one element of the story is stupid. It makes sense as a bit of story, but it doesn’t have to be there for the story to work just as well, and it’s bad for the game. End of story. I’m done repeating myself.

I don’t think the story would work very well if it only affected the immediate area of the Marionette. The point is that its a super-weapon. What kind of lame super-weapon would only hit a very small area?

You get a clear warning of the Marionette being active even if you don’t know about it in advance. If you choose to ignore the on-screen warning (and the map chat) and continue on your way as usual, that’s your choice for sure and more power to you, but you shouldn’t expect to be unaffected if the event fails. You chose to stay in the area where it was plainly announced that a super weapon was being tested. You chose to keep yourself in harms way.

If you heard your city was going to be blown up in 1 hour if a military team wasn’t able to disarm the weapon, would you ignore that warning and go about your normal business as usual? Or would you get the heck out of there?

Posted by: Trixie.7614

Trixie.7614

There was a guild about to finish their guild rush when the whole map died. They proceeded to get mad at our 11pm group that failed the marionette because it failed their rush, to which of course we wondered why the heck they didn’t come help with the Marionette because we were spamming that we needed more people the entire time.

It actually made the defeat better having them wipe. Their guild helping with Marionette would have undoubtedly seen us succeed, we wiped on Warden 5 but only because of leaks right at the very end. A problem their guild would have aided with greatly.

You see that? This is the kind of gameplay that no one wants. Arena net is forcing people to do their badly designed events that clearly no one bothers testing (talking about wurm and tequatl, but I’ll use marionette as an example). This guild should have a choice: Do we want to do the marionette or do we want to do the guild rush?
They want to do their guild rush (they have a scedule to keep, you know how hard it is to organise guild events.). If they do not do the marionette, they get wiped and fail their event. They get angry and so do the players who failed to do the marionette. Then the conflict arise on who was right and who was wrong. The marionette players will say: “We were more!” and the guild will say: “We do not care about you.”. Both sides will be right. Is Arena net trying to force conflicts against their players?

So my solution is: Make those events more friendly against less players praticipating. You say events are scaling with people, but I can hardly feel that. They always feel as if they are meant to be done by zergs, limited by the map’s player capacity.

I can complain a lot about those events, but I hope you can see my point.

Glorious Human Master Race

Posted by: FateOmega.9601

FateOmega.9601

Lol. Talk about karmic death.