So why do people still fail marionette?

in The Origins of Madness

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

People are still bringing bear/bows and mm necros and wondering why they are failing the events.

My main is a Ranger. I have only done this event with my main. My primary weapon is bow and my off pet is bear. My main pet, being a bird, melts to many of the Wardens leaving me bear and bow.

I have only failed once on my platform, the first time I did it on the first day. It happened to be Warden 2. But I was also in Path 5, so almost everyone failed.

As much as I take offense to the term Bear/Bow, I also know it doesn’t apply to me because I actually know how to play my class and succeed where others fail. Watching a polar bear backing Warden 1 up against the wall and the Ranger doing nothing to get it to move does lend credence to the claim.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

They need to tweak warden 3 a bit. Its bombs explode when you touch it, but it also explodes after a while. The thing is, there’s no area indicator of the bomb’s range. Maybe Anet could tweak it a little so that the bombs will show a red circle around it indicating the explosion area.

I’ll agree with this. Recently I’ve been having frame rate and culling issues, which I’ve mostly fixed, but these bombs were just not rendering. On the other wardens I at least had circles to avoid when my frame rate dropped and culling kicked in randomly during this fight.

It is just hard to avoid something you can’t see.

I’ve had this problem also with warden III. Just dead, no warning no nothin’. Where was the AoE circle?

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

There is no AoE circle. You have to use your eyeballs to see the wasps. They don’t place AE because they just go boom after a bit of time.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

There is no AoE circle. You have to use your eyeballs to see the wasps. They don’t place AE because they just go boom after a bit of time.

And what is the radius of that boom? Going boom after a bit of time in a radius that can potentially instant down you is precisely what red circles are for.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Redbear.5910

Redbear.5910

It’s been over a week and people still don’t grasp the concept of it it seems, even with a lot of people in each of the 5 lanes people still somehow manage to fail the event, it’s ridiculous, I can never seem to get my “achievements” because it relies too much on others, even if I complete it myself, it’s just a waste of time seeing as 99% of the time there’s always 1 platform who fails.

Getting tired of the same old same old :/ honestly its pushing me away from the game knowing most of the future achievements will most likely rely heavily on others (Temporary ones to make it worse)

It is because they are stuck with you.
Might be you who is failing alot.

Kumu Honua.2751

And what is the radius of that boom? Going boom after a bit of time in a radius that can potentially instant down you is precisely what red circles are for.

The radius is “Don’t stand near the wasps.” And to remedy the instant down aspect you can put on your wvwvw gear.

Warden 3 punishes full zerk builds.

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Warden 3 punishes full zerk builds.

It really doesn’t. Like you said, don’t stand near the helibombs and there is no way you’re going to die on that warden. You could do it completely naked with a permanently zero endurance bar (assuming you still had enough damage.)

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

If you could reach out and touch one of the … wasps, good name for them … you’re too close. Just move to the nearest clear space not holding any wasps.

Our main just lost, 4/5 chains cut, because of warden 5 of all things. Despite enormous amounts of commentary in map both before the puppet dropped and during fights as lanes got warned what to expect, lane after lane failed 5. I started in 1 and moved to 5 (got warden 4 there because lane 4 goofed), and then lanes 1, 2, and 3 all lost warden 5. It seems people aren’t reading Map because 5 is absolutely the easiest one if you just stack on the regulator and point blank aoe. You don’t even have to see the warden clones. Yep platforms had a few people running all over.

It’s got to be people who don’t read map or see the /say in the lane. Or, vaguely possible, trolls deliberately messing it up. Next fight I’ll try explaining it without any slang at all since not everyone knows what “stack” or “hug the regulator” or “pbaoe” means.

Posted by: Forsakendusk.1694

Forsakendusk.1694

It’s been over a week and people still don’t grasp the concept of it it seems, even with a lot of people in each of the 5 lanes people still somehow manage to fail the event.

» Possible reason 1: I was playing with some people earlier today that have never done the event before or are not level 80 yet. New people are coming in left, right, and center and trying their hand at the event for the first time. Reading an event guide is one thing, actually playing it is another.

» Possible reason 2: People don’t care anymore. They realize that they can complete The Origins of Madness achievement without even killing the Marionette. They also realize that you can get rewards from the lockboxes too.

» Possible reason 3: General lack of communication. Some people either don’t understand everyone, or they just aren’t reading the chat. I find a lot of people when they’re counting lanes yell out “need more in L3” and find that people who are in lanes that also need people will leave.

» Possible reason 4: People go for the easy-way. Most of the runs I’ve been in have a HUGE amount of people in L1; considered “The easiest boss/lane”. I’ve also seen people run into lanes that need people and leave right away due to the lack of people. Seriously? This bothers me more than losing. You see a lane that needs people, you stay in it.

These are the top four I can think of. I also find it aggravating that during the runs, people whine and complain about people failing, or have the nerve to map chat “NOOBS”. Some boss fights put 5 people in a circle, and 2 people in another. It’s entirely bad game mechanics and not their fault. If this doesn’t lower group morale faster, I don’t know what does. You’d think that if people cheered each other on more, they would strive to do better. Instead, we have idiots (who are most likely ‘fail’ themselves) yelling at everyone. To get back to my point before, it really doesn’t help when you’re alone with one other person trying to kill a boss, and people are yelling at you to hurry.

Probably TL;DR, but those are my main points

«Ñiymeria» {Norn Engineer}
Server:• Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

^ In addition to those excellent reasons, one other reason why Warden III sometimes fails is that people who are slow loaders warp up to the platform… right into a bomb or the Warden’s one-shot leap. If two or more players fall victim to that, barring a lucky Warbanner res it’s very difficult to recover from it.

As for Warden III’s bombs, I find it very annoying that they don’t have an AoE radius either, but you can kinda compensate for it by watching the order in which they spawn. After a bomb blows up, immediately run into that spot; it will be safe for the rest of the bomb pattern.

Of course, the Warden’s leaps and the Mari’s lightning can complicate matters. This is a boss where it’s actually PREFERABLE to have a Bearbow (or another tanky minion/character) to keep the Warden busy in the center so he’s not chasing players around.

Kumu Honua.2751

It really doesn’t. Like you said, don’t stand near the helibombs and there is no way you’re going to die on that warden. You could do it completely naked with a permanently zero endurance bar (assuming you still had enough damage.)

O.K. I meant that it punishes full zerk builds that can’t dodge or position themselves. People who are constantly getting 1 shotted should fix that issue. My guess is a complete and utter lack of vitality to be the issue because my health pool starts at the very bottom of the spectrum and is only up to 20k due to gear. If you are getting 1 shotted then that means you have significantly less health than me since I only take about 50% damage from even the stomp attack if I should screw up a blind timing.

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

I use staff 80% of the time I play guardian, but in marionette, I only use it in defending lanes.

There is no point using it against a single champ. Hammer/GS/Sceptre is much more reliable.

This isn’t entirely true. When taking down your warden, use a stronger weapon. Once it is done, switch to staff, because it can hit wardens on other platforms, and godkitten if they don’t always need the help.

Posted by: Leablo.2651

Leablo.2651

O.K. I meant that it punishes full zerk builds that can’t dodge or position themselves. People who are constantly getting 1 shotted should fix that issue.

You get 1 shotted even in PTV gear. It punishes you for getting hit, as it should, but if anything it encourages people to zerk.

Posted by: SRG.3607

SRG.3607

Same poor ratio for me, still 1 success / 10 try.
I think what explains the difference in ratio between players (some have spoken of 50% of success !) is the hour of play. As i’m working the whole day, i can only try it at 19:00 or 21:00, and there is probably more “casuals players not geared and not reading explanations on chat” on those hours. Very frustating indeed.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

So far it’s still 1 succes and around 10 fails. It’s always champ 3. If it’s the one shot kills or the weird camera angles so you dont see the flying bombbs I dont know. This champ just sux.

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Warden 3 simply hits like a truck. My character wears very high toughness gear, and even then this thing can take down 80% of my health with one attack. I’m not surprised he’s one-shotting people, especially given the abundance of zerker builds out there.

As for Warden 5, not everyone is specced to do heavy DPS. Which means a lot of people just don’t deal enough damage to kill this boss in time. Plus, when he splits up, the increase in targets often gets people with low defense killed. Again, this is a problem with the abundance of zerker builds.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Kumu Honua.2751

O.K. I meant that it punishes full zerk builds that can’t dodge or position themselves. People who are constantly getting 1 shotted should fix that issue.

You get 1 shotted even in PTV gear. It punishes you for getting hit, as it should, but if anything it encourages people to zerk.

I can assure you that I do not get 1 shot by warden 3. I take ~50% damage if I should make an error.

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fUUQNAR7dlUgiC33RLEfIFRugaBYPwYG741jESRGC-jADBIjERzUEQkFCZ0IwpmDZM7MqVWFRjVZDT9CWDbIq2bDRzmL1CBobMA-e

That’s my build (Sword instead of scepter for warden 3).

With so much active defense, you can facetank warden 3 for the entirety of the platform event. Blind from GS 3, Sword 2, Focus 4. Block from Virtue passive and active and recharge from elite, Retreat, Focus 5, Shelter. Invulnerability from Elite.

So if you are getting 1 shotted by warden 3 you need to adapt or you need to perfect your ability to dodge and position yourself since you have zero leeway.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

I can assure you that I do not get 1 shot by warden 3. I take ~50% damage if I should make an error.

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fUUQNAR7dlUgiC33RLEfIFRugaBYPwYG741jESRGC-jADBIjERzUEQkFCZ0IwpmDZM7MqVWFRjVZDT9CWDbIq2bDRzmL1CBobMA-e

That’s my build (Sword instead of scepter for warden 3).

With so much active defense, you can facetank warden 3 for the entirety of the platform event. Blind from GS 3, Sword 2, Focus 4. Block from Virtue passive and active and recharge from elite, Retreat, Focus 5, Shelter. Invulnerability from Elite.

So if you are getting 1 shotted by warden 3 you need to adapt or you need to perfect your ability to dodge and position yourself since you have zero leeway.

The problem is that it’s usualy failing on another platform, and you cant do a single thing about it :/

Posted by: Hisuichan.7983

Hisuichan.7983

Thing is, not everyone is a Guardian. And even your Guardian takes 50%. That doesn’t exactly fill any other class with confidence.

Anything squishier than the tankiest class in the game is going to have a hard time.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying it’s not user error. But it’s user error combined with oneshot punishing and no effective way to learn. I learn more from dying in 2-3 hits and having time to recognize what I do wrong than I do from “you’re out of position for a moment, bamf, you’re dead and probably didn’t even see what did it.”

I can dodge the AOE circles easily. I don’t have that much trouble with the bombs unless the camera angle gets me and I hit a bomb while dodging AOE circles. Where I die the most is probably the warden himself pouncing on me while I’m dodging the above two and dropping my Ranger trying to distance it in a single hit. And I wear a decent splash of Toughness gear.

I learn absolutely nothing from when I die to Warden 3 because I can’t spot any tell on the pounce and there’s too much stuff happening that all kills you in one hit.

Nevermind all of the times where I die because first responders already triggered the fight and I arrive third with an AOE circle already directly on top of me and get insta-downed. Because that was just a bad design decision easily avoided by having the wardens arrive 10 seconds or so after the first person is in each chamber, giving everyone reasonable time to load before the fight starts. I hope Anet takes that into account next time they do something like this,

(edited by Hisuichan.7983)

Kumu Honua.2751

Guardians share the lowest health pool with elementalists. You gain survivability with gear. If a guardian can have enough health to survive a single hit from the warden then everyone else is quite capable of such a feat. Only elementalists will have a smidge of difficulty since they share the same health deficit that guardians do while being stuck with light armor.

Warden 3’s tell for his pounce is quite pronounced. He looks like he’s trying to do a standing long jump and his arms flail upwards just like yours would when you try.

As for Insta-downed when you zone in I restate. If you have a terrible load time, then gear yourself so that you can survive a mistake. That way when you zone in and get hit by something right away, you can react, stabilize yourself and contribute to the fight.

I agree that the load screen for that part was a horrible terrible idea. Should have been an instant teleport. However again, insta-downed is your own fault. If you have that issue, then again you need to address it. Either stop fighting the champs at front when the 30 second countdown starts and get to the portal in time so that you aren’t straggling in or gear up health/armor so that you can survive a hit in order to self-stabilize and contribute to the fight instead of being a detriment requiring others to rez you (Which usually just means that they die too when the warden attacks the group of 3 people trying to rez you…)

The major cause for a full platform wipe is trying to rez people.

Posted by: Kalarchis.8635

Kalarchis.8635

Insta-downed is not the player’s fault when they load into an attack from W3, a bomb going off, and an attack from Marionette at the same time. Listen to Malafide; this thing is just concentrated death no matter what you’re running. One slip up (or a bit of lag) and everything goes south very quickly.

W3 is the only warden that will sit there and wait to attack until you do. If you wait until 2-3 other players load on your platform (and guide everyone else to do the same) the problem of loading into your death disappears. Not everyone will listen, but I’ve definitely seen less platforms wipe since I started spreading this advice.

Remember also that we need DPSers for this fight. If everyone specced for more survivability in L3 we’d be leaking champs and probably won’t kill the warden in time. It takes a mix of DPS players and good survival guards, and even if you’ve got that the platform distribution is a shuffle and sometimes one platform ends up with three DPS squishies and a bit of lag and that’s that.

Reviving the downed isn’t the problem either as long as you’re smart about it (don’t sit there and let the warden smash you unless you know you can take it.) Reviving the defeated is a different story; I’ve seen plats fail b/c of this. But quickly and carefully picking up the downed has also saved many a platform from wiping.

Posted by: Sarika.3756

Sarika.3756

Someone hinted at this earlier, but there’s one other component here. The fastest way to get folks to turn off map chat is to have a couple of folks in it spewing nasty comments and insulting people. If you want new folks to pay attention to map chat, it needs to be a friendly place, not an ugly one.