Thanks for highlighting our great community!

in The Origins of Madness

Posted by: LordHogFred.3691

LordHogFred.3691

So over the last week I’ve been reminded how good the Guild Wars community can be. I’ve had great fun in overflows helping command lanes at the marionette and running with groups at the wurm.
The vast majority of people have been cooperating and just having fun, reminds me of what it was like during release week with everyone just chatting in map chat and being amazed by the behemoth :P.
Thanks ANet for making some fun content that is encouraging the great community we have to mingle more

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

i thought this would be a sarcastic post.

i was pleasantly surprised to be wrong.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Posted by: Lost in Hyrule.2963

Lost in Hyrule.2963

Hooray for good feelings! It is nice banding together and encouraging other lanes.

Posted by: Elestian.6134

Elestian.6134

Sure, everyone is encouraging and well-wishing… until a lane fails on the platforms. Then that goodwill regularly turns into blame and vitriol, and that frustration is entirely justified. The whole “fostering community” and “splitting up zergs” thing sounds great on paper, but in practice there is nothing fun about everyone failing because of a few players. Despite those who claim this event requires “cooperation” from players, being unable to assist players on other platforms is not cooperation.

Defending the lanes from twisted clockwork minions is so easy it’s almost irrelevant. Performance on the platforms is all that matters. Moreover, poor communication of event objectives/strategy has made this event for many a process of trial and error, and leaves less skilled and knowledgeable players in the unfortunate position of being able to contribute to the failure of all, when that kind of pressure/responsibility should not be placed on those who are are new to the game and just trying to enjoy the new content. That’s not good design, in my opinion.

I’m glad your experience seems to have been better than mine, because for me this event has been frustration, punctuated by 1.5 hour waits.

(edited by Elestian.6134)

Posted by: AngelMouse.7345

AngelMouse.7345

So over the last week I’ve been reminded how good the Guild Wars community can be. I’ve had great fun in overflows helping command lanes at the marionette and running with groups at the wurm.
The vast majority of people have been cooperating and just having fun, reminds me of what it was like during release week with everyone just chatting in map chat and being amazed by the behemoth :P.
Thanks ANet for making some fun content that is encouraging the great community we have to mingle more

This, so much I’ve had a blast commanding this event and have been so encouraged by the community. I, too, thank you Anet for a great event.

“Sometimes, in madness resides genius.”

Posted by: lesliejb.3615

lesliejb.3615

commander charlotte for queen of gandara!

Posted by: Qaelyn.7612

Qaelyn.7612

OP and Elestian are both right.

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

I would prefer people speak their minds than to feign happiness and contentment. To be nice for the sake of being nice is only being dishonest with yourself and those around you.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I hope you aren’t accusing the OP of feigning. I’ve also seen a lot of can-do, jesting around, fun even when losing attitudes. Maybe the OP is being nice because s/he actually feels nice?

I know I do. Thanks, ANet, this has been a great leap forward in combat content (with a few flaws, but nothing’s ever going to be perfect).

Posted by: LordHogFred.3691

LordHogFred.3691

This was a genuine post. I’ve had a great time with people on my home server and in overflows. Obviously there are those who get frustrated and kitten at people but for the most part they are more than outnumbered by those having fun and being encouraging towards each other.

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I’ve had so much fun commanding on Aurora Glade for this event. It felt epic, and made me feel like a hero that other people could rally behind. And can the guy who did the music get a raise?

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: Tachii.3506

Tachii.3506

Wut. From what I observe there are way more raging comments than optimistic ones. I’m sitting at the neutral zone of this. This event brings the worst and best out of different people.

SBI – Thief and the occasional Guardian & Warrior.

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

Yeah, its been a lot of fun. Im on a week off from work, and really gotten involved with the community a lot more this week.

If you’re on TC, I am Vittai btw

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Wut. From what I observe there are way more raging comments than optimistic ones. I’m sitting at the neutral zone of this. This event brings the worst and best out of different people.

I mostly see praise actually. Some people are more vocal about their rage, but overall, the responses seem overwhelmingly positive.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

the people raging about this event must be dinosaurs.. i’ve seen very little of the usual ‘your not farming or exploiting correctly’ nonsense.. this update gave everyone something to do, something to read, something to watch, there’s even alil grind thrown in {very little} and if you want major coordination there are servers that like to do that sort of thing.. i really can’t see where anyone can be overly-stressed about this content.. ArenaNet finally stepped up and put in something for Everyone and didn’t penalize anyone for being a casual player

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

Posted by: Dhalis.8297

Dhalis.8297

Same feeling as OP here.

When reading posts of people who dislike the event, i see a patern: they fail the event and that always seems to be, because of a few persons to severeva chain (in my experience a failure doesn’t occure because of a few, you can fail to severe a chain 3 times) and then the flaming comes in the chat.

The ones that complete the event on a regular basis do so because they support each other, even if a platform fails and have a good time.

So in end, support each other and have a good time, then you’re also more likely to complete the event.

If you never heard that silence, it’s a godawfull sound…

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

I’ve pretty much observed that as well. People do start to work together, but it’s not always enough. And when it’s not, the usual suspects start their usual ad-hominem attacks against other players, though thankfully they tend to go ignored.

Having too few players (overflows, yay) is usually the cause of having problems with the event, but some of the platform events are just somewhat difficult and first-timers aren’t necessarily going to be able to manage. You can usually recover from those, but only so many times – and overflows just fail them too much (usually > 50% of the time) to be able to handle it.

Not for lack of trying though, so there’s that.

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I was too. And aslso pleasantly surprised. And I agree with OP. Shame the aftermath of a failed attempt can turn ugly real quick.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: SlothBear.9846

SlothBear.9846

Yeah I pinned up to help JQ/Overflow a few times and it was really fun. For every whiny ’we’re going to fail and its everyone else’s fault but mine’ baby there was a dozen or so people with good spirits who were willing to work together.

BrunoBRS.5178

I would prefer people speak their minds than to feign happiness and contentment. To be nice for the sake of being nice is only being dishonest with yourself and those around you.

maybe they aren’t faking happiness and contentment? maybe they’re just enjoying the fun of the event, wishing luck to the lanes that head to the platform, congratulating them if it succeeds and telling them to not worry too much if they fail (’cause, you know, you might fail next time).

is it that hard to believe that not being an kitten is an honest reaction?

BrunoBRS.5178

I was too. And aslso pleasantly surprised. And I agree with OP. Shame the aftermath of a failed attempt can turn ugly real quick.

closest to getting ugly i’ve seen is a random player across the map wondering why the hell they are dead :P

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

seen much more positivity after fails than not.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: DoctorOverlord.8620

DoctorOverlord.8620

I’ve seen a mix, there are some helpful people and usually a lot more vitriol. Even the people trying to be helpful have been more condescending but one gets the impression it’s due to impatience piling up from the repeated fails knowing they have to wait hours to try again.

Check my GW2 Comic Dynamic Events http://goo.gl/JyB3J (Short Google Link to Fan Content Forum here)

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Overall the atmosphere is more positive than not (at least on TC), although I agree there are always a few negative nancy’s that spoil the mood. Players yelling “noobs get out!” or “Champ X is so easy! Why can’t you dodge, you stupid $%^&s!” don’t help. There’s a myriad of factors that could cause chains to fail; don’t jump to conclusions.

One particular type that never fails to bug me are the players who insist that X player or build is not welcome at the Mari fight. This is blatantly untrue. Yes, there are certain bosses where certain builds are not ideal, but that does not mean they are completely useless.

As an example, recently I’ve seen lots of players telling Rangers to keep their pets on Passive at all times when on the platform. This is a BAD idea because it hurts DPS; the only Warden where pets could be a problem is the second one, and that’s ONLY if the boss aggros onto the pet in the first place. (Tip for Rangers on the 2nd Warden: don’t zone in too early. Let some players go up first and get the aggro from the boss, then join. Less chance of your pet grabbing initial aggro that way. And if it does get aggro, recall your pet (F3) or swap it out to kite the boss around.)