The End

The End

in Match-ups

Posted by: Shadow.9641

Shadow.9641

… but you always have to see those “forum warriors” making the situations unfriendly and bad

And why doesn´t ANet react against those persons in a hardlined way (but balanced to the basic PvP-background) to clarify, that such kind of forums-missuse isn´t tollerated?
If the punishment is hard enough such individuals and all others will check.

But closing subforums instead of punishing the missusers is the wrong way, cause every visitor of the subforums gets affected and punished by this step

Big Heimdal
Pikeneer

The End

in Match-ups

Posted by: Space.8053

Space.8053

It’s unbelievable that Anet try to make WvW competitive and then scratch their heads thinking “why are they being so mean to each other in the forums?”

Yes, forum trolls need to be slapped down, but the heavy handed approach to everyone is unnecessary.

Fat Rob
[TCHU]
Gandara

The End

in Match-ups

Posted by: Jal.5894

Jal.5894

Ok, if we can’t flame, troll and otherwise cause unecessary drama how are we all supposed to get through the work day?

I mean seriously, these forums are at best average for readability anyway, and without the abilty to call other guilds/servers blobbers/hackers/griefers in a public space this dimisnishes.

Bay far the best forums I’ve ever had the pleasure to troll on were the WHA forums, a place where moderation came to die. The threads were amusing, the characters unforgettable and the bashing of Legio/Unnamed/Moonlapse gave players from both sides common ground. People still speak in hushed tones about the ‘Boozie hackpak self own’ and ‘that Bruglir’ thread. By comparison the GW2 forums are sanitised and over-moderated enough.

This gives us an opportunity to move the forum population to a place where ‘There be internet trolls’. I’d rather read about Gandalf (gandara) calling out Tankolation guilds, Far Shiverpeaks guilds moaning about Gunnar’s Handhold living upto it’s name and SFR arguing with every other server than some random boring posting about ‘which spec is better for pve lolz’

Let’s take this as blessing. We have the chance to move to a place where we can freely troll, flame and abuse each other like no other whilst we while away our working days waiting for 17:30 to hit so we can go home and kill each other in game.

HoB – Aurora Glade (EU) [ ex- Piken Square (EU) ]

The End

in Match-ups

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

Why am I not surprised by this turn of events? Hmmm, it could be due to the fact that we’ve been rather pidgeonholed into the closest thing I’ve (MMO-wise, with my experience thereof … YMMV) encountered which represents a “G” rated forum.
Here’s the issue that the Mods aren’t noticing. Yes, there is a fair amount of griefing, trolls, and (virtual) tears here. However, you have a forum subsector that focuses, as it were, upon a virtualised WAR. With all due respect, gents and ladies:

1. A simulated war is going to run emotions high. Competition breeds extremes of emotion. We all know this.
  2. Also realise that for every thing you guys have an issue with, there is also an equal
    thread/post that promotes “decent” behaviour.
  3. And the most important aspect: Honestly, what competitive online game does NOT come with a degree of “smacktalk?” Heck, if you get your company’s wish of PvP being the next big “E-Sport,” do you honestly think you won’t see far worse forumwarrioring? And, no, I’m not just saying this to be rude, but merely as an honest observation.

Eh. I called this kind of thing months ago, when I mentioned that the current cultural obsession with being “PC” is weakening us on a fundamental level. It used to be, folk
in competitive endeavours expected a certain amount of personality friction. Now, we’re rather down to the point where we have to worry that someone might get their feelings hurt. Meh. What ever happened to the old concept that “Adversity Breeds Character?” Or does this concept only apply to the “Real” world?

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

(edited by Advent.6193)

The End

in Match-ups

Posted by: bob.8632

bob.8632

1. Make (somewhat) competitive game mode.
2. Make Matchup Subforum.
3. Act shocked and appalled when people speak angrily and competitively to each other.

2/3 Make sense.

The End

in Match-ups

Posted by: FrownyClown.8402

FrownyClown.8402

This was the only way to troll because of the stupid wvw seperation with normal chat. Some people have fun grieving others. You will never find a competitive mmo without some good trolls. I for one got infracted in those forums yesterday for saying “wow jerk. We can’t be bros anymore” How about you worry about improving the game and not the forums.

Bad Elementalist

The End

in Match-ups

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

It’s totally my fault guys, my trolling powers have grown too powerful and this is the only way to contain it.

#allisvain

Yo momma is so troll that she got the entire subforum locked…

#VLKfeelings

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing

The End

in Match-ups

Posted by: The Hammer.5960

The Hammer.5960

Hey, Anet.

I’m not sure who you guys have running your community management team, but they seem to lack even the slightest grasp of what a competitive pvp forum looks like.

Of course you need to slap people wrist now and again, but what you seem to be doing is effectively killing off the most passionate part of your community here.

That’s right, Passionate.

Some people have spend the last year working for their servers, each server has it’s own characters and feel.

For example what you saw in the SFR vs Vizunah vs Piken, matchup threads should have seemed like pure gold to you. Here were huge numbers of incredibly passionate people posting about something that mattered a great deal to them. Of course there was going to be some smack talk.

This is a pvp game mode, have you ever played one before? These are actually the most important people you have in your game – the people keeping it alive.

When people get mad, it’s because they care. Don’t silence them.

[CoN] Atom
- aka The Iron Baby

The End

in Match-ups

Posted by: Ironvos.9014

Ironvos.9014

Most of the trolling and complaining is actually due to bad design decisions on Anet’s end imho.
People complain about blobbing, because somehow the game rewards the people doing it.
People complain about getting ganked, because the game favors dps and chain cc.
People complain about hacks and exploits, because after more than a year nothing has been done about them.

Just removing the forum subsection will not solve anything at all.

Far Shiverpeaks
Luna Solares – Mesmer

The End

in Match-ups

Posted by: Gab Superstar.4059

Gab Superstar.4059

I mean, it’s not like you go to the WvW subforums and NOT expect to see trashtalking, trolling and general kittentery. 50% of the people who use this subforum do it themselves and 50% like to read it.

Why not put a “NOT MODERATED” notification before you enter this subforum, if that’s what you want to (not) do?

Very Good Detectives [VGD]
Devonas Rest 4 lyfe

The End

in Match-ups

Posted by: Furiousbeard.7602

Furiousbeard.7602

This is the biggest troll move ever. GG

FA Soldier of Fortune – Flashypants (20,078 WvW kills) http://m.youtube.com/user/Duppa81
Roamer: 99.99% BLs / 0.01% EB

The End

in Match-ups

Jeknar.6184

Now, I don’t really understand why would someone close a subforum due “high ammount of poison”… Like some people already posted, we are playing a technically competitive game mode and we can’t even have some smack-talk? I already find the fact that we can’t see our enemy names stupid enough, and now we won’t be able to call each other on forums because the over-zealous moderators are “working too hard”.

Take a look on the old WvW discussion subforum… If you get all this week matchups together you can cover at least 30 pages (in total of posts). Either because there isn’t much to be discussed or because the people that actually used to post there were people that came for reading their matchup thread and saw some interesting thread in the first pages of the discussion and decided to take part of it (I’m sure a lot of people used do that).

Of course, some players are too blame for their stupidity in taking “internet forum insults” too serious… If you just come around, chill a bit, do some trash-talk and don’t worry about it, you will be fine. Many of the forum warriors which I fight around here are my friends today because we don’t worry too much about this to go raging around like some cry-baby.

WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points

The End

in Match-ups

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

Well kitten…. I came here to read that smack talk.

Now all we can do is creatively criticize Anet’s poor management and decision making skills.

SBI

The End

in Match-ups

Posted by: WingedDante.9821

WingedDante.9821

Man, I enjoyed reading people going at it back and forth, it was like watching angry 4 year olds after any sports-type game. Like soccer. Or actually maybe the parents. Now where am I going to find the tears of crazy people I need for sustenance?

[SG] Guardian Dante
WvW Commander/ PvP Brofessional

The End

in Match-ups

Posted by: deathTouch.9706

deathTouch.9706

Mission accomplished fellow Maguumans.

V deathTouch V – Warrior
STD [Scarlet Gave Me Harpies]
Maguuma

The End

in Match-ups

Posted by: eithinan.9841

eithinan.9841

“Match-up sub forums closing” troll post 1/10. Would not read again. April fools day is still months away.

Are you closing this because there were too many exploit/hack accusations? Maybe fix the exploit/hacks instead??? or stop moderating those posts and save your self the time and money. A lot of the “high amount of poison” on these forums were accusations against different servers or guilds using those.

The End

in Match-ups

Posted by: Jaxs.5830

Jaxs.5830

I like that they complain that folks post about hacking/exploits and yet after 1.5 years they couldn’t add them as an option to the in-game reporting tool, because adding to a drop down is a huge amount of effort. They could of course find time to add LFG System Abuse to the list… go pve game.

The End

in Match-ups

Posted by: kerona.3465

kerona.3465

Maguuma’s PvFers will GvG you, ANet.

Bring your best.

Maguuma [PYRO]
Oblyth, Mes ~ Nadeshiko Naito, War ~ Hwertu, Gua
Evenree, Necro (M) ~ Ran Still Died, Thief

The End

in Match-ups

Posted by: Silent Shino.7239

Silent Shino.7239

Now that the mods are going to have free time, how about improving the matchup system a bit?

Shino: Guardian of the Glade
Aurora Glade EU [JUST] roamer
All is vain: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/gf-left-me-coz-of-ladderboard/first

The End

in Match-ups

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

It’s totally my fault guys, my trolling powers have grown too powerful and this is the only way to contain it.

#allisvain

Yo momma is so troll that she got the entire subforum locked…

#VLKfeelings

Good job mom #whogonstopme

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

The End

in Match-ups

Posted by: Chris.3290

Chris.3290

back to guru, I guess.

The End

in Match-ups

Posted by: Burl.9567

Burl.9567

ANet really wants me to stop playing this game. With every patch and announcement they just keep pushing me towards the door more and more. As soon as something even remotely good comes out as a substitute to GW2 (no, ESO is not it), these servers are going to be ghost towns.

The ability for me to report posts just because of the person and ignoring the content in effect getting them banned is more trollish than me saying another server sucks. The indiscriminate “reporting” feature is the problem here, not the players.

(edited by Burl.9567)

The End

in Match-ups

Posted by: nothing.7941

nothing.7941

So silly, what exactly is the point of having mods then? I survive reading mean comments in the match up threads, is it really such a big deal that they have to be shut down? People have become so sensitive to words they don’t want to hear, it’s just pitiful.

Martin Firestorm, Borlis Pass
Gaile Gray wrote:
Oh wait, read Martin Firestorm, he says it better…

The End

in Match-ups

clint.5681

I would like to give a special shout out to some forum warriors that deserve recognition.

I would like to thank SF’s forum warrior crew, we really grew over the months, couldn’t have made it here without you.

Breh and Jeknar, we had been trolling each other for months now, it’s been fun.

Ynot, Solostice, it’s been a great time

Everyone from HoD, keep training one day you can forum warrior like us (oh wait the forums are shutting down nvm)

Mooncow, thanks for keeping it original

People from AR, all the tears and infractions I harvested were worth it.

Savannah for being hilarious

Everyone who reported me for posting that .gif of cartman licking tears that got me temp banned, it was worth it.

That detective guild who always made those funny posts.
The MU guild who would stalk SF in our threads
The buns guild, just because the name was funny
Everyone who took these forums too seriously
Everyone who helped me build my waterpark that runs on tears( now where will I get them?)

All the moments where I 1 versus server on the forums and in game.

ANET for making gw2 a Carebear friendly place.

The rest of bronze league who I won’t go into detail with since I know this post has a 90% chance of being deleted.

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior

The End

in Match-ups

Posted by: FrownyClown.8402

FrownyClown.8402

RIP mag sbi yaks sub forum post.

Bad Elementalist

The End

in Match-ups

Posted by: Arius.7031

Arius.7031

I would like to give a special shout out to some forum warriors that deserve recognition.

I would like to thank SF’s forum warrior crew, we really grew over the months, couldn’t have made it here without you.

Everyone from HoD, keep training one day you can forum warrior like us (oh wait the forums are shutting down nvm)

Everyone who reported me for posting that .gif of cartman licking tears that got me temp banned, it was worth it.

Everyone who helped me build my waterpark that runs on tears( now where will I get them?)

The rest of bronze league who I won’t go into detail with since I know this post has a 90% chance of being deleted.

But how can bronze league servers stalk and trash talk SF if that sub-forum is ending? This is truly the end of an era.

All is vain.

Jorek/Etharin/Raylus
Darkhaven Commander
Co-leader of [Sold]

The End

in Match-ups

Posted by: Easterbunny.6170

Easterbunny.6170

http://www.ign.com/boards/forums/guild-wars.7695/

VN is slow loading but lightly modded.

Also how did Taquito not get a mention up there :p

Mummies R Us
Gates of Madness Community
DUI Co-Founder

The End

in Match-ups

Posted by: Hydrobutter.9172

Hydrobutter.9172

(crosspost from WvW forums)

I just mushed something together now. Test site here (which I can transition to a domain name if it’s liked)

http://wvwforums.denravialliance.com/

It’s a self moderating forum. On 5 or more votes on comments, if the comment is below a 2 star average it’s deleted. I can adjust that as its needed.

Comments welcome, if you as the community want to use it as ‘live’ let me know here and i’ll transition it to a full website.

Right now it’s very barebone, but can be fleshed out as features are requested.

NOTE: If you register, check your junk email for an email from vyxe@theblackappendage.com (older gaming site I made) for the user registration mail

lmao asking Maguuma people to post on an HoD board is just the best thing ever. what a magical idea

Radio
Co-Guildleader: Wobbly Cat Squad [WCS]

The End

in Match-ups

Posted by: AeonTheAvaricious.3640

AeonTheAvaricious.3640

Well-being is vain and always fades to nothing. So at this hour, without delay, pluck the vibrating strings. Since Fate strikes down the strong man! Everyone weep with me.

The End

in Match-ups

Posted by: Maladon.5760

Maladon.5760

http://www.ign.com/boards/forums/guild-wars.7695/

VN is slow loading but lightly modded.

Haven’t been to VN boards since the Mordred days

Malzarius – Guardian
Malzerius – Thief
Dark Covenant (SBI)

The End

in Match-ups

Posted by: Sororita.3465

Sororita.3465

No one from GoM was mentioned, except Everyone who took these forums too seriously , because you guys are the main reason for reports and infractions in the first place, cant count the number of times light hearted posts with gifs have been infracted. Oh well, as long as you’re the only ones able to post them.

The main cause is people need to understand that trolling is trolling and doesnt affect you personally and not to respond with personal attacks. People need to understand the difference of what is trolling and what is not.

There is one good thing though, not having videos of people using siege to kill people posted, thinking its skill, and having to hear about cupcakes, i hear it more here than from actual bakers!

Commander Starlight Honeybuns[BUNS]
Timelord to Lillium Honeybuns, IoJ
Forever together, or not at all.

(edited by Sororita.3465)

The End

in Match-ups

Posted by: Darek.1836

Darek.1836

wow anet
such censor
such anger
all is vain

Holy
Sharks With Lazers [PEW]

The End

in Match-ups

Posted by: Samhayn.2385

Samhayn.2385

Wounder what would happen if I went to my boss and was like “you know that machine people requested and use, well it breaks alot and we spend alot of time fixing it and replacing worn out parts, we should just get rid of it. No, sir that was not a joke and if you could stop laughing it would be nice.”

It was 2 vs 20 but its ok we got’em both!

The End

in Match-ups

Posted by: Gracious.4279

Gracious.4279

The game is slowly dying anyway…

dude, this game is no where near close to death. I played guild wars 1 when it was REALLY dying, and Ill let ya know when it looks even remotely close to that.

r54 pvp | Ebay | Female Mind Games

The End

in Match-ups

Posted by: Burl.9567

Burl.9567

The game is slowly dying anyway…

dude, this game is no where near close to death. I played guild wars 1 when it was REALLY dying, and Ill let ya know when it looks even remotely close to that.

While the PvE game mode may not be dying, the WvW game mode is clearly on its way out the door. Most of us are here only because we have no other options right now. As soon as something better comes out, I can see SoR dropping to a near tier 4-5 server overnight. That’s how serious many of the guilds are to leaving. If I had another game to go to, I wouldn’t be here. The utter lack of respect by ANet for this game mode and the disrespect they have shown to the community over and over (GvGs, lack of patches/fixes, etc) proves that ANet really does not care about this game mode. If they put as much effort into WvW from the start as they did into their sPvP system, this game would be in a much better place.

The End

in Match-ups

Jeknar.6184

This subforum work much like a planet on Starcraft:

It’s full of Terrans (Users) living peacefully. Then come the zerg (Trolls) and start infecting people/structures (Threads) on the planet (Subforum). Then the Protoss (Anet), send it’s zealots (Moderators) to start culling (infracting/banning) the zerg. Seeing how it didn’t worked out, the High Executor (Community Coordinator) says “Purge it with fire to cleanse it” (Shut down the forum, so it stop).

The End

in Match-ups

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

Danicia, I wonder if with the new tools you all have (flood control, etc.) if it may be worth keeping these forums around another month (through January) to see the effects those changes have? For a lot of us these are the favorite threads of all, and to add new tools and simultaneously close the forums before the tools have a chance to be felt feels a little premature. They do work, I know this first hand (remember the haiku?). Yes, there’s been a lot of toxicity in these threads, but also fun and memorable stuff as well. Shoot, I even tell my kids to “Go to bread” now.

I now moderating is a thankless job for the most part, but hopefully you’ll consider at least an extension to see how things play out. A lot of the community enjoys these particular forums, and regardless of how valid the reasons seem for removal a lot of people will be affected that are not in any way the cause of the problems.

Thanks!

#TeamJadeQuarry

The End

in Match-ups

Posted by: Easterbunny.6170

Easterbunny.6170

Really? I did not realize we personally destroyed everything. Thanks for pointing that out. I heard we came to your home one night and stole your cat as well.

I will tell you right now I personally did no such thing Bunsie. Frankly that would involve caring.

Mummies R Us
Gates of Madness Community
DUI Co-Founder

The End

in Match-ups

Posted by: bokkieskitten.8023

bokkieskitten.8023

Really? I did not realize we personally destroyed everything. Thanks for pointing that out. I heard we came to your home one night and stole your cat as well.

I will tell you right now I personally did no such thing Bunsie. Frankly that would involve caring.

We don’t have a cat, how dare you steal from NSP like that. Just before Yule too… shameful.

Her Majesty Lillium Honeybuns, Queen of IoJ[BUNS]
Companion of Starlight Honeybuns.
You stole me, and I stole you.

The End

in Match-ups

Posted by: STAY SEXY.4360

STAY SEXY.4360

Maguuma wins
All is vain

Skeeth [Ark]ham
Swaguuma native

The End

in Match-ups

Posted by: LetoII.3782

LetoII.3782

Guilds are dying off anyways. Within the last few weeks I’ve seen many hardcore WvW guilds and commanders pack up and leave. It’s going downhill, and fast. I do not think EoTM will solve the problem, even though it was created with good intent.

Meh, the new map features long narrow channels and lots of fall-to-your-death edges. If it wasn’t intended to induce blobbing I’m not sure what WAS intended. For a game that calls itself guild wars it doesn’t seem to promote guilds or their ethos much. The hardcores that saw this early appear to have been the more prescient of us.

The End

in Match-ups

Posted by: Chris.3290

Chris.3290

It’s conventional wisdom that letting the fanbase dictate your decision processes is generally a bad idea. Given the number of bad ideas put forward on this forum on a daily basis, it seems to be backed by a cornucopia of examples.

However, the way the fanbase is being disregarded rather shocking. I can go down a list, that I know the devs are aware of; of functionality widely asked for, hinted at or planned in the early stages, or that people have been flat out begging for.

Home instances: we got a Obelisk Shard; because 30 feet outside Hoelbrak is just too far to transmute a limited item that’s not standard in the game.
No trophy room, no crafting at home, nothing.

Guild capes: nope

GvG: Treated almost hostilely until an ANET member publicly embarrassed himself, and then changes happened very quickly. Still not really part of the game and totally fan organized (which will be harder with matchup forums removed).

Polymock and mini-pet arena: I don’t really miss these; but they are examples of work began then abandoned.

Now forums are going away that take away any interaction between members of the opposing servers. We can all agree that this frequently devolves into childish bickering and antics; but most forms of competition feature similar outbursts.
From Football to Chess, any form of competitive endeavor features poor sports, talking of smack, and Jimmies rustled.

It’s simply good for the game.

The End

in Match-ups

clint.5681

But how can bronze league servers stalk and trash talk SF if that sub-forum is ending? This is truly the end of an era.

All is vain.

Indeed all is vain

The End

in Match-ups

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

Every time I see this thread title it reminds me of Soul Calibur’s Ivy. “This is the end” stupid flaming boot/whip nonsense.

On topic:

All is vain.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

The End

in Match-ups

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

I am thinking the truth hurts doesn’t it ANET.. you couldn’t contain your embarrassment of the situation any longer so decided to play your perceived ace card and … close forums and the truth will be hidden.. I guess someone didn’t like allisvain too much back at base…. the biggest reason a competitive gaming environment like WvW has turned so toxic of late is down to your ignorance of the issues within your game and now you don’t like reading all the reaction to it.. heck why not go the whole hog now and close the entire forums, you can drink your coffee and eat your donuts in relative peace then, safe in the knowledge that servers are healthy, the game is bug free, no one exploits or hacks and the butterfly population is on the increase once more…. how has ANET become so far removed from its own ambitions and expectations as it followed on from the success of GW1? .. you have forgotten what makes your product tick- – your customers – yes US!!

Now the real toxic alliance will come out to play on an interweeeeb near you – only difference is you wont have the same heavy handed control you levy on here and it has the potential to hit a wider audience… hell of a way to attract new life into a game that can so easily be seen to be spiralling.

Spring 2014 could be an interesting time in ANET space, but for all the wrong reasons.

The End

in Match-ups

Posted by: Mark Katzbach

Mark Katzbach

Content Marketing Manager

Please keep the this discussion relegated to the thread in the WvW discussion forum:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/wuv/wuv/WvW-matchup-forum-being-wiped