Could someone explain who this Scarlet is?

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Bob F It.5701

Bob F It.5701

I’m a little confused after killing the hybrid for the first time. I’ve only been able to get back on GW2 starting with Tower of Nightmares. Throughout the content I’d been fighting a mix of krait and Nightmare Court in a similar way that I’d been fighting off the Dredge and Flame Legion in Flame & Frost.
While going up the Tower, there had been the disembodied voice of someone called Scarlet taunting me at every step. I’ve never had contact with her, and as such I don’t really care.

Apparently she’s important.

She’s important enough that when I beat the Toxic Hybrid, there’s a cutscene where her face can take up 45% of the screen. As I said, I’ve never come across her, but at this point I’m meant to know who she is and have a motivation to oppose her.

So could someone explain what the hell that cutscene was all about?

Right click your GW2 shortcut > “Properties”
“Shortcut” tab > “Target”
Add to the end " -bmp"

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Riot Inducer.8964

Riot Inducer.8964

Good to see you’ve gotten off on the right foot with our illustrious queen of the living story. And no that wasn’t sarcasm, the more you know about Scarlet the less you will care about her.

Essentially she is the catch all mastermind behind the vast majority of the living story plots up until now. (I think the Southsun stuff is the only time she or her agents weren’t at least peripherally involved).

To summarize her story she started off as Cera, the smartest sylvari ever, so smart in fact she surpassed even the smartest asura and graduated from all three of their colleges (this has since been retconned to read she merely studied at the colleges). Then having academically trounced the asura she set off across Tyria and studied under the greatest Norn blacksmith and Charr engineers mastering their crafts in weeks then left because, “meh”. Eventually she gets involved with an asuran experiment that involves sealing her in some sort of chamber to improve her intelligence (iirc). Well it instead lets her “see the eternal alchemy” (basically life, the universe and everything) and she goes crazy after that, taking the name Scarlet Briar and basically devolving into a Saturday morning cartoon villain.

Since then she’s basically been forming alliances (like the Molten and Toxic ones) and generally making a big rukus for our heroes to deal with all because, reasons. She apparently has some grand plan but she’s yet to even hint at it.

The cutscene you saw was basically her summarizing all the crap she’s done over the past year before heading off on holiday for a while. You basically caught the season finale of the show that ends on…well it’s not really a cliffhanger just sort of a lame recap, not sure what to call it honestly.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Argon.1563

Argon.1563

You know as much as we do. I’m among the very small minority of people who like Scarlet, but the fact AN is so enigmatic about her is annoying. I want to know what shes trying to do.

“You’ll be seeing me again, very soon.” -Scarlet
We don’t even know what you want, Scarlet. We don’t even have anything to speculate on.

Although I like Scarlet, I cant get round the idea that shes probably a smokescreen to draw out the game’s longevity, in terms of lore. Because by now, if Scarlet and Living Story wasn’t a thing, we probably could’ve beaten the crap out of another Elder Dragon or 2 by now.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Trolaw.7095

Trolaw.7095

you also just don’t wanna know xD

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: WereDragon.6083

WereDragon.6083

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/short-story-what-scarlet-saw/

That’s what you’re looking for, official.

What do we say to the god of death? Not Today….
Eleshod|80 Thief|Tarnished Coast
Malsavias|80 Necromancer| Tarnished Coast

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Phillip.6485

Phillip.6485

It would have been better if she’s hot.