Hallucinations

Hallucinations

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Notice how the enemies say they’re hallucinations? NOT illusions?

In the final cutscene of the tower, Scarlet blatantly says our friends are dead, and we have her to thank for it.

That begs the question, who exactly are we REALLY killing?

Hallucinations

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Sulist.2408

Sulist.2408

Not sure how no one has responded to this… would have earlier but I read it shortly before work. Honestly, it begs the very question you have presented. After all, the short personal story when entering the zone makes a point to show just how the hallucinations can turn allies into enemies. While I am sure many of them we see are just that… hallucinations, and perhaps altered images of our enemies, who knows what other atrocities we have committed against our allies.

Hallucinations

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: uberman.2619

uberman.2619

Yeah, I have no friends amongst NPCs.

When you reach the top of the tower, the corpses of your guildies should be hanging from the walls. Checking the roster shows all their locations as ‘Tower of Nightmares.’ I’d be freaking out, maaannnnnn.

Hallucinations

in The Nightmare Within

Kain Francois.4328

Anyone notice Braham is missing from the final instance?

Seriously, why is no one talking about this? This is HUGE, yet no one else noticed it?

Hallucinations

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

Seriously, why is no one talking about this? This is HUGE, yet no one else noticed it?

He got lost on the way.

Hallucinations

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

He got lost on the way.

He does that. Remember, Norn do not ask for directions.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Hallucinations

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Norn have no need of directions. They are norn.

Seriously, though, it is a discussion I’ve had with Konig – we have a lot of stuff labelled as “hallucinations”, but really, who knows if there’s anything under the hallucination – and, for that matter, who knows if the things that appear to be real actually are?

Given the theme, it’s actually vaguely plausible, albeit admittedly improbable, that Scarlet was actually never involved and our characters and allies just imagined her presence because that’s what we expected, and that expectation fed the hallucinations, and the hallucinations fed the expectation, and so on.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

Hallucinations

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Norn have no need of directions. They are norn.

Seriously, though, it is a discussion I’ve had with Konig – we have a lot of stuff labelled as “hallucinations”, but really, who knows if there’s anything under the hallucination – and, for that matter, who knows if the things that appear to be real actually are?

Given the theme, it’s actually vaguely plausible, albeit admittedly improbable, that Scarlet was actually never involved and our characters and allies just imagined her presence because that’s what we expected, and that expectation fed the hallucinations, and the hallucinations fed the expectation, and so on.

Especially what you hear if you talk to the NPCs in Nightmare Chambers . . . they came in there following someone who we know isn’t in there.

Could it turn out instead of killing hallucinations we accidentally killed Zojja? Wait, where’s the downside to that . . .

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Hallucinations

in The Nightmare Within

Kain Francois.4328

Well Scarlet is taunting us the whole time, whispering in our ears things like “breath deeply”, and “don’t look behind you”.

I’m assuming we kill a bunch of members of the Vigil.

Hallucinations

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: OmaiGodman.2098

OmaiGodman.2098

She’s just taunting you, don’t let it get to your head. :P

Any plan that involves dead quaggans is, by design, foolproof. I’m an unmitigated genius!

Hallucinations

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Talonblaze.3175

Talonblaze.3175

The problem with the hallucination thing is that apparently -everyone- can see the same thing. Hallucinations spawned by others suddenly hurt you despite not being harmed by toxic.

None of the other characters react any indifferently to who is presented that could be a potential ally. The chances of someone hallucinating someone they never met before yet know them down perfectly in personality, extremely unlikely.

Duty is heavier than death.