MMO Achievements 101

MMO Achievements 101

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: BaconCatTheGreasy.9542

BaconCatTheGreasy.9542

Don’t have anything that has its progress affected by other players in the open world.

Seriously, when you have achievements that are tied into people not completing the events, and having people who do the events simply to frustrate others, it seems like ANet is run by amateurs.

MMO Achievements 101

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: jason.2043

jason.2043

Not a big deal if it weren’t for the ridiculous spawn timer. Seems like ANET seems to be using the achievements more in the direction of getting players to keep repeating content that is no longer exciting after the first time through.

Especially frustrating are the "Kill X achievements that unlock achievements to “Kill X more times” or even worse unlock the achievements to “Kill X’s minions—- you know the minions you just killed the first time killed X”

MMO Achievements 101

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

It’s an MMO. If you want to play single player achievements go play a single player game.
As for the X number of X achievements – they’re specifically there for you to accumulate over time. They don’t intend for you to stand there and grind through them. Achievements are a side aspect to playing the game – not the game itself.

MMO Achievements 101

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Lalocat.6793

Lalocat.6793

As for the X number of X achievements – they’re specifically there for you to accumulate over time. They don’t intend for you to stand there and grind through them. Achievements are a side aspect to playing the game – not the game itself.

Yeah, but when I just play the game normally, I very rarely have any reason to go to Kessex Hills.

MMO Achievements 101

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

It would not have been such a problem in the wurm event if the shockwaves were like Tequatl’s.

But these are aimed, and had a very limited amount of targets, so very few people gets hit by them, and it’s mostly about luck for which direction it’s going.

I was lucky and I got into an overflow.
Then I waited there until people left to the main instance, then I did all achievements alone.

But yeah, someone in ANet should sew a nice embroidery that says: “Achievements should NEVER, EVER put players on the same side against aeach other”, frame t, and hang it on the walls near anyone involved in making achievements.

Something similar happened with WvW Season achievements.

When achievements say “capture tower” but never “defend tower”, you get people letting the enemy capture towers to take them back, since it’s easier with nearby towers.

Baaaad idea.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

MMO Achievements 101

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Yeah, but when I just play the game normally, I very rarely have any reason to go to Kessex Hills.

Hence the LS in Kessex…..you know, to drive people there that normally wouldn’t go there. The LS is designed to try and make the earlier zones a little bit more relevant.

From what I understand the tri-color chest will be permanent? (could be wrong) Which would be an attempt to bring people into the zone that normally would never venture back and also tie it into the Living Story.

There actually is logic to what they are attempting to do. I realize it doesn’t always hit the mark, but they are trying and I commend them for it. If each zone affected by the LS had some lasting gimmick that could draw people back to it on a daily or weekly basis, then I’m sure they (and I) would consider it a successful endeavor. I personally am not a fan of a chest that requires 3 different pieces, but I’m sure they can collect data on how many people actually open those chests (once the LS achievement reward for it is removed) and can learn from it.

I think they can expand on the LS (and even remove the temporary aspect of it) by making the story repeat NPCs permanent. I mean, once you finish the story part of this LS you can redo it by talking to the person and kind of “reminisce” on what had happened, which basically means you’re doing it again, but in “reality” you’re just telling the story of you doing it again to someone. They would make SO MANY PEOPLE happy if every LS story dungeon/event was repeatable in this manner. Go to the zone and area it took place, talk to person and either they “tell you the story of what happened” or if you’ve completed it in the past “you tell them the story of what happened” and actually get to do it all over again. Would only work on instanced content.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….