Rhyme or Reason on key drops?

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: bigtimetopbanana.9725

bigtimetopbanana.9725

Q:

I’ve been in the tower for 2 hours and haven’t had a single blue key drop yet. Is there any rhyme or reason as to who drops them? Elites, Champs, Vets, or totally random?

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Well I’ve seen it said in other threads (and apparently in key description) that each color key only drops on a specific level of the tower. So if you want blue, you need to farm level 2 of the tower. I haven’t tried to confirm this or not, but thats what I’ve read in other threads. Maybe other people can confirm this.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Dagraan.2854

Dagraan.2854

the chambers can drop the keys from the end chest. from what iv’e seen the drop rates on the chambers are better than the zerg fest events.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Kupper.8074

Kupper.8074

Green – First Floor
Blue – Second Floor
Pink – Third Floor

JQ – The ‘veggie’ Knight
Berserker = Skilled http://i.imgur.com/g1rkIub.jpg
Never forget – http://i.imgur.com/Oxra9sj.jpg

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

The keys are not limited to those floors. And sadly, Blue is what I have the most of, by a factor of 2.

Pink is my nemesis. I seem to get more blue keys on 3rd floor than anything.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Delvoire.8930

Delvoire.8930

Yeah.. i’ve been gettin lots of green key drops. I have like 5 of them and 0 of the other two.

80 ~Thief~ Isabella Angel | 80 ~Eng~ Ratchet McClank
80 ~Warrior~ Delvoire | 80 ~Ele~ Azalea Avenir
80 ~ Guardian~ Rag Nor | Server ~ FA

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

Thankfully at most you only need 3-4 days (depending if you grabbed a key from the vendor before reset) to get the 5 total you need for the achievement. If you are going for the mini/skin, then some grinding may be required.

At least the price on the keys isn’t “outrageously” expensive, but is still a money skin ~45s and 30 spores for a guaranteed rare (or better). Sure it’s at a loss, but at least its a sure way to get a chance.

Edit: Also I wonder if MF has a factor on the drop rate. In about 2-3 hours or so of running around in there (and doing only 3-4 chambers where I got keys twice) I had enough for a full key (not counting the free one you get in the mail) and then about 2-3 of green, 1-2 blue, and 0 pink left over. Oh and then a key of your choice from finishing the “story” instance of the tower. I have about ~105% MF and was using some food for most of my time running around. I did notice getting a good amount of rares (about 6) and exotics (1 from drop, 1 from the ~10 or so champ bags I got) dropping inside the tower too.

(edited by Wallace MacBix.2089)

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: bigtimetopbanana.9725

bigtimetopbanana.9725

So after another two hours of grinding in the first level, I got one blue key from a chamber (from four chambers visited) and one blue key from a champ (out of one champ faced). No blues from elites, vets, or hallucinations. Kind of makes sense.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Kupper.8074

Kupper.8074

The keys are not limited to those floors. And sadly, Blue is what I have the most of, by a factor of 2.

Pink is my nemesis. I seem to get more blue keys on 3rd floor than anything.

I’m the opposite, I have 6 Pinks and no other colors. I may avoid the third floor for a while to see if I can make a few keys before heading to the top. Also, if I get a bunch of blues or greens then I will just buy the other one.

JQ – The ‘veggie’ Knight
Berserker = Skilled http://i.imgur.com/g1rkIub.jpg
Never forget – http://i.imgur.com/Oxra9sj.jpg

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: BoogerSammich.7189

BoogerSammich.7189

Edit: Also I wonder if MF has a factor on the drop rate. In about 2-3 hours or so of running around in there (and doing only 3-4 chambers where I got keys twice) I had enough for a full key (not counting the free one you get in the mail) and then about 2-3 of green, 1-2 blue, and 0 pink left over. Oh and then a key of your choice from finishing the “story” instance of the tower. I have about ~105% MF and was using some food for most of my time running around. I did notice getting a good amount of rares (about 6) and exotics (1 from drop, 1 from the ~10 or so champ bags I got) dropping inside the tower too.

I personally doubt that magic find has any effect on anything. Which is probably why they removed it from gear stats. If it ever was intended to actually increase drop rates, I think Anet’s lack of any discernable explanation on the subject is testament to the fact that, even they have NO IDEA if/how it actually works.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Green.

Bane of my existence.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

I personally doubt that magic find has any effect on anything. Which is probably why they removed it from gear stats. If it ever was intended to actually increase drop rates, I think Anet’s lack of any discernable explanation on the subject is testament to the fact that, even they have NO IDEA if/how it actually works.

Umm, we know how magic find works actually.

To paraphrase the wiki, if something has an unmodified 10% drop rate and you have +100% MF, you have a 20% chance for it to drop.

I’m not exactly sure how it works with getting multiple drops from one enemy, but I’d assume there is either a roll to determine the number of items you get and then each one is chosen with additional rolls, or one roll is made to give you an item, then a second roll is made (at a reduced chance) to see if you get a 2nd item, and so on, until you fail. A similar argument can be made for the rarity of the gear (if you have a 40%/30%/24%/5%/1% to get a white/blue/green/rare/exotic what does +100% magic find do? It can increase all numbers and give you an “extra” item roll or more likely it can just make masterwork/rares/exotics more favorable and reduce the chance for whites and blues.)

My comment was aimed at a different point: does MF effect the festive items. Going by gw1, the festive items always had their own roll on the loot table, independent of normal loot. I believe this is the same for gw2 (you can get zhaitaffy, for example, without it “taking” one of the normal loot drops). I just have no idea if MF effects those items drop rates. That was my point.

Also I’d say they removed MF from gear because the speed dungeon runners kept complaining that it was a selfish stat and that those people were not contributing to overall dps (not gonna argue if that statement is valid or not, but I’m pretty sure that’s the main reason. Plus they decided to make it a money sink, so 2 birds with one patch).

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Black Regent.5897

Black Regent.5897

I have an increasingly aggravating pile of pink keys.

The freaking random dice rolls that lead to an actual drop in this game are like matryoshka dolls.

You might get keys drops
———Which might be the colors you need
——————Which might yield something good once combined to open the chest

Whee.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

buy them instead, can buy 1 set to make 1 key per day.

Or if you get drops of one colour buy up the other colours.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Clark Skinner.4902

Clark Skinner.4902

pretty sure i got green in level 1 and 2, and just got one for sure on lv 3

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Aly Cat.9415

Aly Cat.9415

It wasn’t just a selfish stat. As a player that doesn’t frequently run dungeons, I still didn’t like having to choose between a chance of better drops and being more powerful. I like the new system. It’s fun and acquiring magic find doesn’t take away from other things. And I have been seeing a difference in drops as my magic find increases.

I forgot you could trade for the keys.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Gabby.3205

Gabby.3205

Green – First Floor
Blue – Second Floor
Pink – Third Floor

The instances doesn’t count, however, since I’ve got a blue key inside an instance on the third floor.

I can’t drop a pink key to save my life, though. 5 blues, 4 greens, no pink.

Tarnished Coast
Astrid Strongheart, Norn Ranger.
“I wish juvenile wolves were bigger”

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Green – First Floor
Blue – Second Floor
Pink – Third Floor

The instances doesn’t count, however, since I’ve got a blue key inside an instance on the third floor.

I can’t drop a pink key to save my life, though. 5 blues, 4 greens, no pink.

We should average out our drops. Mine is the exact opposite.

The keys drop “primarily” on the floors list but they can drop outside of it. I was killing stuff on the 1st floor trying to get a green key but got a pink one instead.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Alerno.1425

Alerno.1425

Additional keys can be found as drops via the mobs all over the tower. The key drops off the random mobs inside the tower are random. However, if you complete the chambers on various floors, they have a chance to give you specific colored keys
First level chambers drops Mysterious Blue Key
Second level chambers drops Mysterious Green key
Third level chambers drops Mysterious Pink key
- Dulfy

If I understand that correctly the key drops from mobs are random and it don’t matter what floor you are on. But the chests in chambers have a chance to drop key related to the floor where the chamber is.

I had the biggest trouble of getting my fifth pink key. Run around the 3rd floor and did all those 3rd floor chambers several times with no luck. Then went and bought it from the vendor.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Clark Skinner.4902

Clark Skinner.4902

had 2 green, 1 blue key to start.
Went in today, hoping to get a red key.

Gained 7 green, 1 blue in a full run from bottom to top, hitting every chamber that was open.
:/

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Luthan.5236

Luthan.5236

You should mainly try running chambers and events(champs there). Chests often drop the keys. Don’t know if the chest after event usually is event chest or from the killed champ by rarity loot displayed as chest. But I often get keys from events.

Also buy at the merchant the ones missing only. Might still not be enough to get an equal number of all of those keys but it’s random. That’s just how it is.

And yes they can drop from all floors afaik. Only some have higher chance on the floor/level mentioned in the description I think.