Third floor has a new party paradigm

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Up till now we’ve had two methods of getting together with other players. You either have an instanced dungeon where you form a workable team before going in, and know that you must work as a team or it’s all a waste of time. The other is open world, where you see someone doing something, and join in because that looks like fun, leave when you’re done.

The third floor is open world, but you can’t just wander in and start the third floor by yourself, hoping someone will join you and you’ll make a new friend. You need to have a party already formed to assure success. And since we’ve never done that for open world content before, it’s a little off putting. The players also have to be very proactive to form that party, since the goal is so open ended. The closest thing I’ve seen is the LFG tool being used to find a party for the hybrid daily.

An open world dungeon is an awesome concept, but I think the challenge should come from things like the bosses or puzzles within. The challenge of the tower comes from just existing in it, and that does not condone ad hoc parties.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

“The third floor is open world, but you can’t just wander in and start the third floor by yourself… "

I can make it up the third floor just fine by myself. The only thing that stops me is the “you have to complete this event to pass” part. But that part can be duoed. Everything else on the third floor I can run past or smash on my own.

in The Nightmare Within

Fluffball.8307

I figured someone would respond with how amazing they are at the third floor, and miss the point of all this for an excuse to brag. I’m not talking about running past the hordes of elites while you are bombarded with permanent health degen and conditions, I’m talking about the third floor as playable content. You can not solo play the third floor.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

If stuff didn’t respawn every 1-3 minutes, it could be soloable. Every time I’ve gone up there lately, the tower has been empty, so I’ve had to do all the events solo. Very annoying.

Back when people used to do it regularly (and after the zergs), I was able to walk into floor 3 solo and end up with a group. There was always people just waiting by the entrance of the floor that would either follow or run. If it wasn’t for the chambers, it would be much easier to create groups on the way up the tower with a snowball effect.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

This isn’t new. The labyrinth had the same problems but people would just leave if they didn’t like it since there was pretty much no reason to be there.

in The Nightmare Within

Fluffball.8307

This isn’t new. The labyrinth had the same problems but people would just leave if they didn’t like it since there was pretty much no reason to be there.

That’s actually a good point. The queen’s pavilion had a similar feeling.

The third floor stands out because you literally can’t exist on it, so you can never form an ad hoc party. You need to make one before hand, like an instanced dungeon. Even unofficially grouped players will break up at the third floor because it’s difficult to do anything but save yourself at the expense of others. A formal group in an instance doesn’t have that choice.

I did actually make some ad hoc parties in the labyrinth and pavilion because I was able to exist there long enough to find other players. That’s the only way open world ad hoc grouping can work.

I’d also toss out WvW as a great example of ad hoc group forming. You can be on your own just fine, but seeing another player opens up additional opportunities.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

I too have been having third floor problems and its more of an issue of “skills” than it is “skill.”

With a zerker ranger or a zerker ele, the run just isn’t possible with either of my setups. For the most part, I see warriors and guardians successfully making the run. If only there was a trait reset at the bottom and the top I wouldn’t have issues.

Whenever I get in an ad-hoc group, the same VERY annoying thing happens every time. And that is we all end up fighting the easy parts, but as soon as we show up at a difficult section almost everyone goes into run mode and NO ONE makes it out alive. They just get themselves and me killed.

Soloing isn’t an option because it’s only a matter of time before a runner brings the whole place down on me.

I’m an experienced player. I run zerker gear and builds because I can survive with it. The tower is an exception and if I change my build to support the run, I won’t be pushing out nearly as much DPS on the hybrid when I get there.

If I tag up I have to wait for about 15 people before I move, because if I go with 5 we’ll lose 3 at the run parts.

Oh and if you do high DPS and run up on a few veterans, you better get moving FAST after you kill them because respawns are just around the corner.

I actually really like this type of content. I just think we need some good anti-running mechanics in it so it can scale more accurately. It also needs to scale all the way down to solo if no one else shows up. And of course we also need to account for the warrior effect. Example: Run a PvE ranger build against a PvE warrior build in a PvP fight and the ranger will likely win. However, compare them in PvE content and the warrior build works out easier.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: OmaiGodman.2098

OmaiGodman.2098

When the update was first released all floors were easy because the tower was filled up with players, but now you will need to find yourself a party. I don’t really see the problem, or are you put off by the fact that you have to show initiative of your own instead of the game holding your hand and telling to to form a party?

Any plan that involves dead quaggans is, by design, foolproof. I’m an unmitigated genius!

in The Nightmare Within

Fluffball.8307

are you put off by the fact that you have to show initiative of your own instead of the game holding your hand and telling to to form a party?

This kind of post is what ruins these forums. No one can have a discussion of game mechanics; it has to turn in to passive aggressive insults.

Reread the first post and try to understand the thoughts of others without immediately starting under the impression they’re an incompetent person and bad player.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

I went in last week to retake the golem portals. It was for me just a question of pick-up. The first 2 floors I was going through with 2 others, we cleared what was needed to clear and moved on. The only problem is the spider, with 2 people one is always in a cocoon and the other is surrounded by the plant mines. The third floor I got lucky and a group had already started up and I met them halfway to the first roadblock. There is a huge amount of luck required to time it but you do not need to from organized groups.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Morbridae.8607

Morbridae.8607

The only problem is the spider, with 2 people one is always in a cocoon and the other is surrounded by the plant mines.

You can completely skip the spider. Just use the way on the left when you reach the fork just before the spider.

Morbridae (Norn Necromancer)
@ Sorrow’s Furnace (VE)

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

The only problem is the spider, with 2 people one is always in a cocoon and the other is surrounded by the plant mines.

You can completely skip the spider. Just use the way on the left when you reach the fork just before the spider.

Did not realize that. Thanks.