Why are we still getting single use skins?

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

The gasmask is cool but now I can’t use it encase it looks better on an alt, just like every other back skin in my bank. What exactly is the goal here, to flood our banks? You added an achievement window holding zenith, radiant, and hellfire, why are metas not going in there as well?

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: kailin.4905

kailin.4905

Agreed. I currently have probably 20+ unused skins in my bank. I never use them because I don’t want to lose them after many hours of work or hard cash spent on them. Something needs to change with this fast because if people are hesitant to actually use the only thing we get as a reward whats the point of them continuing to play? Do the devs even understand how big a deterrent this is?

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I am all for a PVE skin locker or achievement skins tied to the achievement tab
that said
I use all my skins- just use transmute stones to keep them and the transmute to white trick to make it unbound if you want to move them around

Gunnar’s Hold

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: havellian.4073

havellian.4073

Why you ask? the answer is money. How you ask? the answer is transmutation crystals

/thread

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Ukon.6350

Ukon.6350

Honestly wondering why the reward for the meta isn’t an account wide multiple use skin. It’s related to achievements so you’d think it would work just like the others would. Hope they change this.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Protoavis.9107

Protoavis.9107

It’s about money, the whole soulbound item status boils down to money, soulbound items don’t benefit the player in any way, they benefit anet by making players grind for things on alt this means they “play more” which means they are logging in more, logging in more and more likely to buy gems or generate gold inflating the gem to gold value which encourages others to buy gems to sell.

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: havellian.4073

havellian.4073

It’s about money, the whole soulbound item status boils down to money, soulbound items don’t benefit the player in any way, they benefit anet by making players grind for things on alt this means they “play more” which means they are logging in more, logging in more and more likely to buy gems or generate gold inflating the gem to gold value which encourages others to buy gems to sell.

actually, I don’t agree with this. Soul-bound items is largely a mechanism to control inflation. By making items soul-bound (non-tradeable) you are essentially removing currency out of the economy and setting up gold sinks (ie. if alts want to have it, must repurchase). Largely necessary and indirectly beneficial to the playerbase.

Single-use skins do boil down to money, but its basically money from purchase of transmutes + storage panes/bag slots/chara slots for pack rats.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Xalugami.2096

Xalugami.2096

I think it’s too late to convert event items to infinite account use. There’s far too many event-related items. They should at least give out free bank tabs if they’re gonna go this crazy with it…

Attachments:

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: cmud.5689

cmud.5689

If there would be a reliable way (other than g/store) to get transmutation crystals, it would be more acceptible. My main is 83% world completation, Alt is 43% + 3 more alts that are not yet lvl 80 so I dont count. Thusfar, I saw one transmutation crystal. But this is obvious…since it’s an item that is basically required getting from the store, I dont expect much more to see. Let’s dont slip into economics of anet, I simply wish to see a way to use meta skins for more than once…

banished from time and space

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Nikkinella.8254

Nikkinella.8254

Skins you get for free from achievements should be in the achievement panel like zenith/radiant/hellfire. Skins from gem store should be single use. Everyone is happy that way. There’s no need to make some achievement stuff reusable and some single use. Consistency Anet! Make ALL achievement skins reusable if you’re going to make some reusable. It shouldn’t be too difficult to just put it in the same little achievement window as the skins earned through AP. So, get on that.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Skins you get for free from achievements should be in the achievement panel like zenith/radiant/hellfire. Skins from gem store should be single use. Everyone is happy that way. There’s no need to make some achievement stuff reusable and some single use. Consistency Anet! Make ALL achievement skins reusable if you’re going to make some reusable. It shouldn’t be too difficult to just put it in the same little achievement window as the skins earned through AP. So, get on that.

Well I wouldn’t say everyone is happy with the single use gem store skins. I know I’m not, but I’ve kind a just accepted it. Wish we could get a skin vendor dude like in GW1.
As for the achievement reward skins (and minis), we definitely should be able to get out of that AP panel thing. Its kinda wasted space if all they’re going to use it for is the zenith and hellfire/radiant skins.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Anyone who has ever played MMOs knows that the soulbound mechanic is in place to prevent item deflation.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

Why you ask? the answer is money. How you ask? the answer is transmutation crystals

/thread

which is completely dumb and backwards on their part. i won’t buy or use transmuatation crystals to permanently destroy an event skin while i would use a crystal if i had infinite uses of the skin.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Handin.4032

Handin.4032

Why? Well, the way it works is you develop this whole new system of handling meta skins. (Wait for it..). Then you advertise it, give everyone a bunch of AP chests to show off how well it works with Zenith/Radiant/Hellfire items. THEN……you never touch it again and go back to the old system. Seems like a good idea right?

TC Golden Dolyak – [DOLY]
Mesmer – FURY
Rank 55 – Bunker Engi, Top 300

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Direksone.3867

Direksone.3867

/thread

Do the same system and just make it cost a transmutation stone/crystal each time. Problem solved. Everyone happy. They get their money from the stones and crystals, we get permanent skins. The new system with the Zenith etc. skins is awesome, the ‘old’ system is terrible for game that’s all about looks.

Should’ve just adopted the DCUO wardrobe system.

Blood And Metal is a guild on Gunnars Hold that is all about metal, punk,hard rock etc.. Join us!

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Handin.4032

Handin.4032

/thread

Do the same system and just make it cost a transmutation stone/crystal each time. Problem solved. Everyone happy. They get their money from the stones and crystals, we get permanent skins. The new system with the Zenith etc. skins is awesome, the ‘old’ system is terrible for game that’s all about looks.

Or the lotro costume system which was completely fantastic! And they made money by allowing people to buy more costume slots for them to swap around. It allowed you to have your set of armor, and then around 3 different “outfits” you could change to.

TC Golden Dolyak – [DOLY]
Mesmer – FURY
Rank 55 – Bunker Engi, Top 300

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

“Complete the meta achievement for The Nightmares Within to unlock a special Gasmask Skin!”

As it specifically states the skin is unlocked, this indicated that it would be made available to the entire account in the “Unlocked Rewards” area and would be unlimited use, just as the other “unlocked” skins/items have been.

By using the word “unlock” in the description, this should, indeed, have been an account unlock skin with unlimited uses.

Since it appears it is a single use skin that it is not “unlocked”, the wording was not just misleading, it was flat out wrong. They should not have included “unlock” within the description of the meta reward.

I brought this and the “any piece of head armor” release page wording issues up days before this patch was released and there was plenty of time to make the correction to the wording so they would accurately describe the items.

::sigh::
silage

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Malganis.7468

Malganis.7468

I completely agree. The zenith skins and the radiant/hellfire skins being unlocked for the whole account and accessable any time is awesome.

I bought one of Majory’s axe skins using gems and I can’t even use it on other characters. Gem-store items should be unlocked for the whole account.

Legion of Honour [XIII]: http://operationunion.enjin.com/home
Tarnished Coast

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

I turn all of mine into PvP skins, since those are multi-use. I don’t see them as often, but at least it gives me three copies and I don’t have to commit.

I agree that gem store skins and achievement skins (like the Gas Mask or Slickpack) should be unlimited like Hall of Monuments or Achievement Rewards skins.

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

(edited by EnemyCrusher.7324)

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

I would not mind having to buy Transmutation Crystals, my issue is about how once they’re soulbound, you can’t remove them from one character and put it on another (especially back items).

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: wookiee.4631

wookiee.4631

Agreed. I’d be fine if they didn’t convert all old skins to that skin window in achieve’s, but it’d be great if all future skins you unlock were added to it, so that all your characters could use them.

Guild: Northern Wolf Clan [WOLF]

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

Not really. This stuff isn’t for selling in the TP to begin with. The frustration is you can only have one skin for all the characters you have, which is pretty lame. Crystals won’t multiply the amount of skins though.

I ? Karkas.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Protoavis.9107

Protoavis.9107

Anyone who has ever played MMOs knows that the soulbound mechanic is in place to prevent item deflation.

supply/demand and inflation/deflation are not the same thing….

soulbound is about increasing demand, in hopes of keeping players logging in for a longer period if they have alts.

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: ZBeeblebrox.4928

ZBeeblebrox.4928

I agree that it would be fine to pay the cost of an xmute crystal to pull something out of that achievement rewards panel. Whatever. Still much better than having to use two crystals to xmute onto a white item to get rid of soulbound (ugh), and I don’t have to waste bank space “just in case” I ever want to use something.

Really, the new gasmask skin looks REALLY good. But I’m afraid to use it because it’ll be stuck on that character. No one should ever be “afraid” to use a reward…

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: sephard.2470

sephard.2470

I would love having the skins actually unlocked in the achievement window, the same as radiant/hellfire/zenith skins.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I would vastly prefer an achieve panel unlock as well. However, at the very least, this should be like the dragon helms — one of each armor weight. I have two warriors, two guardians, two mesmers, two necromancers, and a thief almost all of whom are RPd. I also have an elementalist, a ranger, and an engineer that aren’t RP’d or max level. But I really think I should be able to transfer the account bound skin around to any alt, not get locked in to one weight class.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Luthan.5236

Luthan.5236

All stuff unlocked by meta achievements + account bound should have unlimited uses an be in the tab with the achievement rewarded skins.

But they probably don’t want to do it because of the transmutation splitters that would be bought less then.

Other stuff: Random drops that are tradeable… that of course should be one time use. So you still can earn money when selling it. Or not tradeable but you still could get more… and they want you do to some random stuff.

Unlocked by achievements = one and only way to get 1 use of this skin. Should be multiple uses.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Sophrael.6538

Sophrael.6538

Why not adding the Skins to the hall of monuments, for people wich haven’t played guild wars 1 it’s frustrating and empty there ^^.
You could place Banners on the walls or Asura-holograms of defeated content-encounters to give achievements something visual there

I have the same Problem like a lot of you, i just don’t use the skins because i don’t kone on which character i would like them the most or if this will Change in a few weeks :/ .

When talking about shopskins i am not really sure what to do, endless hse would be great but i think that may be a little bit much although they are a little pricey IF you buy them with real money but thats something for a different thread.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: LostBalloon.6423

LostBalloon.6423

/thread

They should not do this to items that are a “limited edition”. Its not about putting it on another character or changing stats, its about the space they take uselessly.

There are plenty of skins and stuff I don’t dare get from the gem store (like those cool looking new weapons)… I dont want to waste that many gems to then have to keep using transmutation stones or have to store that weapon.

The meta rewards & gem items should be account bound with the ability to obtain them from a panel similar to the achievement panel. They could easily make it so that you can only have X quantity of that item/skin checked out….

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Tukaram.8256

Tukaram.8256

Or the lotro costume system which was completely fantastic! And they made money by allowing people to buy more costume slots for them to swap around. It allowed you to have your set of armor, and then around 3 different “outfits” you could change to.

That would be great for us and a money maker for them! And I would prefer the items are account bound, not soul bound. Arena Net would still get the money – but I would be more inclined to work for the items/buy some. Actually I will not buy anything that is not useable by all my alts.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: nachtritter.8961

nachtritter.8961

I got stuck with Marjory’s Dagger skin because the description of this update’s weapon skins doesn’t say it’s only usable once, unlike the armor slins which specifically state that they are one-use each. At 600 gems, compared to 800 for a six-piece armor set, I thought I’d get a skin item that could be applied more than once.

I’m not looking forward to receiving this “account-bound” mask that’s actually bound to the one character I use it on.

This is seriously kitten ing me off, especially since I know all that stuff could be unlocked in a panel and retrievable multiple times like the AP skins, if ANet wanted to.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

Agreed, this is absolutely nuts. They have a wonderful system in the Acheivements panel to allow for skin unlocking, but don’t use it! A back slot is good, but frankly the best option would be to USE WHAT IS ALREADY THERE. I hate this system of a new single use skin with every event.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

My bank keeps getting filled with these.

If I use them, then there’s no way to ever get them again, and if split, the split items are still soulbound.
You never know what you will do in the future.

Unlocks are always better.

One of the things I liked the most of GW1 was the “pay once philosophy”.
Pay once for the game, pay once for each campaign, pay one for each costume, pay once for each account unlock. Even the way a character unlocks access to the xunlai storage is a nod to that. A single 50 coin fee for the storage tabs, another 50 coin for the collections.

I want “pay once” back.

They should add 3 new tabs to the bank.

• A town clothes wardrobe. Put there all town clothes ever obtained. And the starting town clothes, and any town clothes skins people get, like the bandana and festival hats. For these, the purchase would directly unlock the item. Store records would be used to retroactively unlock those already purchased two who got more than one would get gem refunds for the extra ones they bought. Players would also be able to right click town cloth items to unlock them, for those obtained in other ways, like the starting town clothes or the bandana, that have no records of purchase. Destroy a piece of town clothes, and it also unlocks if it wasn’t unlocked. Just in case. Town clothes would be usable with any character. Activities would use by default town clothes, but players would be able to choose between PvE, PvP and town clothes in them.
  • A toys and tools box. Move there all miniatures. And put there all everlasting/infinite/unlimited tonics, miniatures, gathering tools, instruments, toys, etc. Tradeable ones (tradeable tonics, the unbreakable bell) would stack instead being unlocked like miniatures do now, so people can still take them out and sell them. But those account bound or soulbound that can’t ever be traded, would simply unlock, so once you get one you can make as many as you want. Much like PvP upgrades in the PvP locker. Untradable toys and tools would also become unlocked if destroyed.
  • A PvE skin locker. Those acquired from the store would be unlocks that produce unlimited sin apppliers. There could also be a way for players to unkitten PvE skins too. For example, a gem store item that can be used like a kit on item. Use it once and it will work only in that skin from them on, losing uses. Use it enough times until it loses all uses, and it unlocks the skin permanently. The rarer the skin the less items you have to consume like that. (eg.: Cultural T3, just one, basic armor skin, 250, etc,).
  • There could even be a price to make more copies for some of those. For example, with gathering tools, you’d pay full price for the unlock and a complimentary first tool, then 10…100 gems for extra ones for your other characters. Pay 800 to unlock an armor set and get a complimentary 6-piece set, then you pay 5..50 gem for each separate extra piece of the set. Unlock a certain PvE skin piece, you have to pay 5silver…5gold for each skin applier of that piece, and so on.
    For these items, “unlock” just means that you keep access to the item from them on, even when it’s no longer in the gem store.

I’d rather have them as direct unlocks, but even unlock with a price for extras is better than no unlocks.

Oh, and talking with the trainer of your profession, you should also be able to get more copies of the piece of gear you got at the start. A PvP version and a PvE version. The PvE version could be a level 0 item you still have to transmute, although it’ll be even better if it was an unlock. So players don’t have to keep an empty character slot just in case they ever want one of those again, and so they can use them in PvP.

/thread

I think they are actually selling less.

The splitter items will make soulblound items. So you can’t use them to trade skins between characters.

With a single character, you wither lose the old ones as you apply new ones, or keep using splitters and transmutters accumulating soulbound items, which is simply unreasonable.

Those not fooled by how this works save them in the bank instead, hoping for a change in how they work. If that change never happens, they’ll probably never use them.

If they really wanted to sell transmutaton crystals, they’d make these items account bound unlocks that produce a level 0 item with the skin. So people can make infinite ones for any character but still need the crystals.

But it’s not even that. It’s just a single perishable skin. You have to choose wihch character will ever use it, or if you want to use it in PvP. Once used, you’ll never be able to get the item again or use them in a different character again if used on PvE items.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Kerushi.7609

Kerushi.7609

Yes, I have a ton of skins in my bank. Some that I kinda like, but I’m not sure that I want to use, and I’m sure I don’t want to lose them.

It would be cool if they were like the achievement chest skins, in a separate bank, reusable and not soulbound. If I want two toons to have the gas mask I’m out of luck. :/

~Shirin Shi (Silvari Necro)
TFG Os Northern Shiverpeaks

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

I remember this game I used to play for 5 years which had a costume maker that you took your acquired event skins to. The costume maker would then allow your other characters on your account to purchase and use those skins too for about 10gp. I can’t remember the name of the game though, something Wars. Maybe if someone knows the game I mean they can let ANet know and they can check it out because that would be nice to have in this game :P

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: uberman.2619

uberman.2619

I’ve learned not to horde things just because I “might need it later.” In ANY video game, even in real life, such an attitude only brought me sadness.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

MithranArkanere has some really top rate ideas there. Though as someone who’s bought multiple skins of cool things so more alts could have them (winter clothes, for example), I’d still shy away from asking for a gem refund. I chose to spend the money, after all, and I want the game to continue to make a profit.

However, how awesome would it be to make the extras (once MithranArkanere’s system is in place) -giftable-? I would be so very happy if I could give my friends skins no longer available in game. It would still be a one time thing, it wouldn’t create any more of the items than were originally bought, but more people could enjoy the use of them.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Jacksonxxxxxx.4930

Jacksonxxxxxx.4930

Hey guys so i made the mistake of using the mask on my guardian assuming that we could use it several times.. so i think i’m stuck with it on him, do you think that they are gonna make it for other toons?

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: videoboy.4162

videoboy.4162

Collin has stated that they are currently looking into some version of a PvE Locker. He gave no release date or anything, just mentioned that it was something they felt was big piece missing from the game.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

^ Source? I would be thrilled if that were true, but the last time I heard Colin speak on the subject he said that they were “happy” with the way PvE aesthetics was currently being handled.

in The Nightmare Within

StinVec.3621

^ Source? I would be thrilled if that were true, but the last time I heard Colin speak on the subject he said that they were “happy” with the way PvE aesthetics was currently being handled.

PAX 2013, around the 21min mark.

(edited by StinVec.3621)

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: videoboy.4162

videoboy.4162

Thanks for posting that for me, StinVec.

in The Nightmare Within

StinVec.3621

Thanks for posting that for me, StinVec.

No problem. I saw you mention that video the other day and figured I would assist.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Nice! Here’s hoping a PvE wardrobe comes sooner rather than later then.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Overkillengine.6084

Overkillengine.6084

/thread

This. Just let us use a crystal or stone to copy a skin to our achievement tab. Then we get what we want and Anet gets their precious casheses too.

Right now the flood of single use skins just means I am not spending as much as I would otherwise because I am only willing to spend money on the cream of the crop if I only get it once.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Lamont.5973

Lamont.5973

My bank keeps getting filled with these.

If I use them, then there’s no way to ever get them again, and if split, the split items are still soulbound.

I agree we need account wide unlock for achievement skins

However, the soulbound thing is sort of true and sort of not true. If the item has a “skin” on it a splitter will give you a level 0 req account bound item with the skin appearance and you can freely put it on another character. It will however, be limited to the armor class you originally used it on. So we are still limited to one item at a time and, if the item was on an armor piece, it is permanently locked to a particular class.

Account wide unlock would be a thousand times better.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: Eis.6984

Eis.6984

LotRO really was the gold standard of cosmetic systems in gear based MMOs. GW2 has one of the clunkiest systems I’ve seen; SWTOR is the only modern MMO cosmetic system I thought was worse. Even WoW’s transmog system, which they had to backfit onto a nearly decade old game and couldn’t really build it the way they wanted is a better experience than GW2’s.

Arenanet clearly HAS the tech to make a better system. Hopefully they will make use of that tech more in the future.

in The Nightmare Within

Posted by: ktynn.9735

ktynn.9735

Just adding my frustration with how the single use skin was handled…

After very long and stressful week at work I finally got around to finishing the META and get the helmet. It being really THE piece to finish my set (with Jetpack and The Predator <3), I got a little too excited and added it onto the helmet of my elementalist instead of engineer. Silly mistake, even made a ticket but got the same response I now read everywhere else… “Policy = never refund items”

Now even if it was possible to switch it out with a splitter and/or crystal, I wouldn’t even mind too much to pay for it, but nope, LIGHT armour class to MEDIUM, forget about it.

Really Anet, in the very minor chance this will be read, fix stuff like this ASAP. I’ve spent more money on this game then I ever did in the past for my WoW subscription, which I’d gladly keep doing in the future to support the game, your jobs and the further development of what is shaping up to be an interesting ride.

But for now, you won’t see one more cent until stuff like this is fixed. Really dissappointed in these user-unfriendly limitations.

[COIN] Elementalist – Loyal Gregori