How tall should I make my Norn?

in Norn

Posted by: Kamayor.9403

Kamayor.9403

Well. I want to be a Norn Male… I don’t want to tower over other players and NPC’s, yet I want to feel reasonably big. How far should I set that slider. I don’t want to regret being too big or too small later.

in Norn

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I’d put the slider to maximum height, then reduce it by 2 or 3 steps. That should leave him being “large”, but you still won’t be the biggest Norn around. (Most male Norns PCs tend to be the maximum height, I’ve noticed.)

in Norn

Posted by: DanielGames.5198

DanielGames.5198

You can’t go wrong with the upper portion. Click on Ranger and look at where the default slider position is. That and above won’t make you feel too small compared to other norn npcs.

(Most male Norns PCs tend to be the maximum height, I’ve noticed.)

Knut Whitebear is a shorty.

in Norn

Zaxares.5419

“Most male Norn PCs”.

The NPCs tend to have varying heights, but almost every single male Norn PC I’ve seen tends to be the tallest and widest possible option.

in Norn

DanielGames.5198

You can’t play with my dyslexia like that! :P

Almost every male norn NPC I’ve seen is set closer to the tallest option. The only short male norn npc I’ve seen is Knut. Ido is like 1 or 2 ticks away from tallest height.

(edited by DanielGames.5198)

in Norn

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

Go tallest. I made mine just over mid range thinking he would be average height. Not so! There are so many other characters of other races that are max height (especially human males) that it really dwarves the norn. I used a kit to make my norn max height just so I could feel like a norn.

in Norn

Zaxares.5419

Yeah, that’s one thing I’ve noticed. Every single Asura NPC is at max height (probably so players could see them more easily). I had to remake my Asura Ele just so he didn’t feel like a midget compared to them. >.<

in Norn

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

Hmmm my first toon is a Human Male Guardian and he is medium height. I want to level my Warrior in Norn land but i hate the super gigantic male norns so was thinking of actually making him the shortest possible height which is still taller than the tallest human male. I feel that the tallest male norns looks so “clunky”.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

in Norn

DanielGames.5198

Hmmm my first toon is a Human Male Guardian and he is medium height. I want to level my Warrior in Norn land but i hate the super gigantic male norns so was thinking of actually making him the shortest possible height which is still taller than the tallest human male. I feel that the tallest male norns looks so “clunky”.

The tallest option looks fine if you choose the top right option for body physique.

in Norn

Posted by: Sweetblue Huntress.9856

Sweetblue Huntress.9856

This might be useful http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/44575-full-size-comparisons-of-races-and-genders/ in comparing sizes. However, Norn are meant to tower over others! I made my female norns tall as can be and I love it! On a side note, I made my asura (male and female) short as can go and I love that too!

You can always create your toon, go into Hoelbrak then to Lion’s Arch quite easily and then compare your toon to the crowd standing around the bank. Nothing lost in rerolling to change size if you don’t like it.

Leta Lorelei – Luwythea – Too many more to name
Jade Quarry

in Norn

Posted by: Amethyst Lure.5624

Amethyst Lure.5624

I think tall norn men look awesome but the extra wide body is a little too weird to look at…

Generally my female norn are around the center upper part of the slider as I feel that is where it starts to scale exponentially taller. If you absolutely have to feel like you fit in around human lands etc I would go near the bottom but it will instead make you feel really short in Hoelbrak. :P

in Norn

Zaxares.5419

I made my female Norn around that same height too. I moved it up a couple of notches from the lowest height, making her a little bit shorter than average. She’s still twice as tall as the average human, but she’s about the same height as most female Norn NPCs. (She still looks really slender compared to the max height, max width male Norn PCs though.)

in Norn

Posted by: TriEdge.5149

TriEdge.5149

As tall as possible

[KILL]SlavicVarg / Fissue of Woe /
Should I go left where nothing is right,
or right where nothing is left?

in Norn

Posted by: ittoujuu.3076

ittoujuu.3076

There are 15 distinct “ticks” in the height bar. I found that about 7-8 ticks of height puts my Norn characters at around the average NPC heights, so they fit in well around Hoelbrak. I worked out my heights using Eir as a comparison model (she’s about 8-9 ticks of height, though she may be getting a little extra height with her hairstyle), but humorously enough, when I’m in story instances with Eir and she has her combat model out, she’s noticeably shorter than when you visit her in her homestead.

The tricky thing about sizing is that it’s not just height, but also proportion. My Norn Warrior and Necro are 8 and 7 ticks of height respectively, and my Ranger is 6 ticks, but my Ranger just -looks- more petite, like her face is smaller than the NPCs’. It may simply seem odd because most NPCs are in a pretty close height range, and player characters tend to push the upper reaches of the height bar, but you don’t see that many smaller Norns.

in Norn

Posted by: Lazuli.2098

Lazuli.2098

There are reasons to have smaller characters.

My male Norn guardian is the smallest I could make him. I mistakenly thought that it would make jumping puzzles easier. He seems like a midget when around other Norn.

My female Norn ranger is medium height. Don’t know exactly how many ticks since she is my oldest character (just had her 2nd birthday yesterday). She seems to fit in fine around other Norn although some of the male characters seem like giants.

I made my female Charr engineer as small as possible too and it also doesn’t seem to help with tight situations like jumping puzzles either.

I made my Asura female mesmer as small as possible, with taupe colors that blend in, with a very short name (K Ki). If I were to play pvp or wvw again I would use her hoping that it would be harder to tell her from her clones and harder to see what skill she was going to use.

in Norn

Posted by: samo.1054

samo.1054

I went from tallest, to shortest and back to tallest.

I like my character to stand out in the crowd

It especially makes sense to make the tallest character possible if you’re happy with your character looks. I mean … I couldn’t roll an asura, because it really doesn’t matter what you wear, no one can see those little tiny details anyway. All asuras look the same to me, the only difference I can notice is their heads and hair.

It’s different with Charr and Norn…