Human and Norn Romance?

Human and Norn Romance?

in Norn

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

Not happening. Devs said it, no crossbreeding. We can have all the fan-fiction, but it simply doesnt make sense and will never happen.

Norns and humans are 2 completely different species.

Bah…who cares what the Devs say. In my paid for MMO it works. Besides which, in a more practical sense, its impossible for humanoids sharing a common world to not see some sort of interbreeding by now (in game or in real life).

If neanderthal mated with humans, its far more likely Norns are compatible with humans. Devs not being geneticists and all.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/insidenova/2010/05/did-neanderthals-mate-with-modern-humankittenml

Norns are actually not related to humans in any way. You have to think of them as mythological giants, really. Shape-shifting viking giants.

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

Human and Norn Romance?

in Norn

Posted by: BuddhaKeks.4857

BuddhaKeks.4857

Norns are actually not related to humans in any way. You have to think of them as mythological giants, really. Shape-shifting viking giants.

This. They probably don’t even originate on the same planet (humans aren’t from Tyria).

You don’t win friends with salad! Sorry I just got caught up in the rhythm.

Human and Norn Romance?

in Norn

Posted by: Darkorox.5784

Darkorox.5784

I am sorry but I have to wonder why the devs said it was impossible because if you think about it it’s not that far fetched for human and norn to have offspring. A far fetched example is half-orcs , half-dranei half-anything from wow, but here clearly this isn’t the case.

Human and Norn Romance?

in Norn

Oglaf.1074

Dungeons & Dragons =/= Guild Wars

They probably said it to avoid the sort okittenward questions that arises with a male norn/female human pairing. Sexual questions.

Do you even lift, bro?

Human and Norn Romance?

in Norn

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

Not happening. Devs said it, no crossbreeding. We can have all the fan-fiction, but it simply doesnt make sense and will never happen.

Norns and humans are 2 completely different species.

Bah…who cares what the Devs say. In my paid for MMO it works. Besides which, in a more practical sense, its impossible for humanoids sharing a common world to not see some sort of interbreeding by now (in game or in real life).

If neanderthal mated with humans, its far more likely Norns are compatible with humans. Devs not being geneticists and all.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/insidenova/2010/05/did-neanderthals-mate-with-modern-humankittenml

Genetic doesn’t really work that way. Myth aside, the 2 races obviously share some gene pairs. Different species often mate all the time. May take a few thousand years to find a compatible gene pairing, but it they are sharing the same world, its going happen. Especially as close as the races are.

But my Tyria appears to be different than yours. All any game does is provide each of us a framework for each of our interpretation. I don’t give kitten about GW1 or GW2 lore…in my world they are compatible.

If they aren’t in your Tyria…thats okay. Our worlds don’t really mingle anyway.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

Human and Norn Romance?

in Norn

Oglaf.1074

What does it matter?

Your Tyria isn’t the in-game Tyria!

Your Tyria has zero credibility!

“Yeah, you say the sky is blue, but that isn’t my sky. My sky is coloured pink due to the pink fecal matter left there by floating unicorns!”

Do you even lift, bro?

Human and Norn Romance?

in Norn

BuddhaKeks.4857

Genetic doesn’t really work that way. Myth aside, the 2 races obviously share some gene pairs. Different species often mate all the time. May take a few thousand years to find a compatible gene pairing, but it they are sharing the same world, its going happen. Especially as close as the races are.

But my Tyria appears to be different than yours. All any game does is provide each of us a framework for each of our interpretation. I don’t give kitten about GW1 or GW2 lore…in my world they are compatible.

This is a factual discussion. Fact is Norn and humans can’t have children, because the two species are not related. As I said before, they probably don’t even originate on the same planet. They just look similar because of some cosmic coincidence.

You can dance around and pretend that Norn and humans are long lost siblings as much as you want for all I care, if it makes you happy. But it’s still wrong and it’s ignoring the truth.

Human and Norn Romance?

in Norn

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

“Yeah, you say the sky is blue, but that isn’t my sky. My sky is coloured pink due to the pink fecal matter left there by floating unicorns!”

O.O
Can…can I live in your world?
Because that would be awesome and scary at the same time!

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Human and Norn Romance?

in Norn

Raf.1078

This is a factual discussion. Fact is Norn and humans can’t have children, because the two species are not related. As I said before, they probably don’t even originate on the same planet. They just look similar because of some cosmic coincidence.

You can dance around and pretend that Norn and humans are long lost siblings as much as you want for all I care, if it makes you happy. But it’s still wrong and it’s ignoring the truth.

Factual discussion? There is no truth or fact in a fantasy video game…there is only imagination.

Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

Human and Norn Romance?

in Norn

Raf.1078

What does it matter?

I paid 65 bucks for my Tyria. Since I don’t have to interact with you or anyone else for that matter, I’ll play the kitten game any kitten way I want.

(edited by Raf.1078)

Human and Norn Romance?

in Norn

Oglaf.1074

What does it matter?

I paid 65 bucks for my Tyria. Since I don’t have to interact with you or anyone else for that matter, I’ll play the kitten game any kitten way I want.

You can. You can not, however, argue against real lore using your own made-up lore like you’ve been doing in this thread. It makes you look rather insane in the membrane.

O.O
Can…can I live in your world?
Because that would be awesome and scary at the same time!

Sure, just remember to pack an umbrella.

Do you even lift, bro?

(edited by Oglaf.1074)

Human and Norn Romance?

in Norn

Raf.1078

(sigh)….Ok, I can still make it work with a storyline based on a human/norn relationship with grown children (half brothers and sister by marriage) and deceased spouses on both sides. Met in the service of the Vigil.

If you lorehounds have no problem with them shacking up?

Human and Norn Romance?

in Norn

BuddhaKeks.4857

If you lorehounds have no problem with them shacking up?

None at all.

Human and Norn Romance?

in Norn

Oglaf.1074

Especially if you provide a video or two.

Do you even lift, bro?

Human and Norn Romance?

in Norn

Posted by: Ulhan.8540

Ulhan.8540

Long story short: It was implied to be possible for Norns/Humans to have children in GW, then refuted and stated to be impossible in GW 2. On a related note:

DEATH BY SNOO-SNOO!

I had SNOO-SNOO

I came into this world kicking and screaming, covered in someone else’s blood.
I have no problem going out the same way.
Ulhan Sturmfaust [TW]

Human and Norn Romance?

in Norn

Posted by: Bob.8456

Bob.8456

Because there is actual evidence? You apparently never played GW1, but in these two quests, http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Prenuptial_Disagreement_%28female%29 and http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Prenuptial_Disagreement_%28male%29 it’s pretty evident that bith a male and a female Norn want to marry and (included with this) boink our human player character.

Yup. My Ranger in GW1 was enamored with the Norn culture, I ran Norn armor and weapons and spent a lot of time AFKing in their outposts. When the time came to choose my race for my GW2 Ranger there was no hesitation, it had to be Norn. I gave my GW1 Ranger’s name to her and RP’d her origins (in my own mind, at least) so as to trace her back to this very quest from the original. I even made her short for a Norn to play this up a bit…and then I hear this talk about ANet stating that they cannot cross breed. Whatever.

Human and Norn Romance?

in Norn

BuddhaKeks.4857

Yup. My Ranger in GW1 was enamored with the Norn culture, I ran Norn armor and weapons and spent a lot of time AFKing in their outposts. When the time came to choose my race for my GW2 Ranger there was no hesitation, it had to be Norn. I gave my GW1 Ranger’s name to her and RP’d her origins (in my own mind, at least) so as to trace her back to this very quest from the original. I even made her short for a Norn to play this up a bit…and then I hear this talk about ANet stating that they cannot cross breed. Whatever.

Your Ranger and a Norn could still have adopted a child.

Human and Norn Romance?

in Norn

Posted by: Brennus.1435

Brennus.1435

They said this once about kitten Sapiens Sapiens and kitten Sapiens Neanderthalensis. But now we have reason to believe that kitten Sapiens and Neanderthal mated. I’m just throwing kittens in the crockpot here to add to discussion.

Edit: They edit Hoe-moh, lol. Use it appropriately.

“Everyone is born a 5 signet Warrior,
what we become later only depends
on how hard we try and how good we want to become.” -HannaDeFreitas

(edited by Brennus.1435)

Human and Norn Romance?

in Norn

BuddhaKeks.4857

They said this once about kitten Sapiens Sapiens and kitten Sapiens Neanderthalensis. But now we have reason to believe that kitten Sapiens and Neanderthal mated. I’m just throwing kittens in the crockpot here to add to discussion.

The difference is, the modern human and the neanderthals belong to the same family. Norn and humans don’t and we know that. There is no point in discussing how they look similar, Anet said they can’t have offspring, so this is a fact, until they dicide otherwise, but I highly doubt they will.

Human and Norn Romance?

in Norn

Posted by: Brennus.1435

Brennus.1435

The difference is, the modern human and the neanderthals belong to the same family. Norn and humans don’t and we know that. There is no point in discussing how they look similar, Anet said they can’t have offspring, so this is a fact, until they dicide otherwise, but I highly doubt they will.

That’s sort of a roleplay bummer. I still want Norn beards on my human.

“Everyone is born a 5 signet Warrior,
what we become later only depends
on how hard we try and how good we want to become.” -HannaDeFreitas

Human and Norn Romance?

in Norn

Oglaf.1074

You want Norn beards? You can’t handle the beardsome, you puny Human!

Do you even lift, bro?

Human and Norn Romance?

in Norn

Posted by: kenshinakh.3672

kenshinakh.3672

As far as the wiki goes, it just says they can’t interbreed. Romance/love is not mentioned, so I’m sure you could just imagine it.

Biggest male norn and smallest human female… or Biggest female norn and smallest human male… those pairs would be so comical to see XD.

Human and Norn Romance?

in Norn

Posted by: SouthernCross.5286

SouthernCross.5286

I imagine the average norn looks at humans like humans look at asura, sure you may think some of them are cute and become close to one but an actual romance would be a step too far.

Now there could be exceptions for example I imagine Hercules could get it on with any norn because the things he excelled at where the most highly prized in norn culture, in the same way if a human hero can live and exell amongst Norns then that would earn him enough respect to get a mate like it happened to the GW1 hero.

Human and Norn Romance?

in Norn

Oglaf.1074

That’s not really fair. Asura look like shaved badgers while Humans and Norns look a lot like each other.

Do you even lift, bro?

Human and Norn Romance?

in Norn

Atlas.9704

I imagine the average norn looks at humans like humans look at asura, sure you may think some of them are cute and become close to one but an actual romance would be a step too far.

I’ve seen furries love Charr. Nothing is sacred to me anymore. :P

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Human and Norn Romance?

in Norn

Posted by: Loltha.2390

Loltha.2390

Did I see somewhere where the Kodan were supposedly related to the Norn? I can’t remember if it was supposed to be ancestors or if that was what the Norn would eventually ascend to.

Would make sense tho. Kodan are like the Buddhist monks of GW2. And you never see Kodan children. Maybe when they find religion they skip the boink boink.

A humanoid Norn maybe a fit romance for a human…but a Kodan? Better match for a Charr, I’d say.

Human and Norn Romance?

in Norn

BuddhaKeks.4857

Did I see somewhere where the Kodan were supposedly related to the Norn? I can’t remember if it was supposed to be ancestors or if that was what the Norn would eventually ascend to.

Would make sense tho. Kodan are like the Buddhist monks of GW2. And you never see Kodan children. Maybe when they find religion they skip the boink boink.

A humanoid Norn maybe a fit romance for a human…but a Kodan? Better match for a Charr, I’d say.

The idea that Norn and Kodan are related comes from the Kodan alone and it’s not very likely. Kodan are always bears, Norn can transform into one (among other animals) for a short time, but their true form is humanoid.
The reason we see no Kodan children is probably that almost all Sanctuaries we see are in danger to be attacked by the Icebrood. The Icebrood attack and kill Kodan, so they would also have to attack and potentially kill children, something that I’m pretty sure is not aloud to be shown in games (atleast not with that age rating), even if it’s non-human children. So to get that issue out of the way, we simply see no Kodan children, that does not mean they don’t exist (on a similar note, we see no Icebrood Grawl, that does not mean Grawl are immune to the corruption).
Now there are some DEs where groups of children are attacked, but those are all build around the players to protect them, and if the event fails the kids simply run back home. The sanctuary however is their home and outside it’s even more dangerous. So there is no place Kodan children could flee to. In other words, we have to asume that some Kodan children die, when we fail to protect their homes. Yeah, let that thought sink into you. Now be happy that we don’t have to see that, thinking about it is gruesome enough.

And to get rid of the arguments, for all we know the Norn are not related to humans or Kodan. I personally think they are related to either the dwarves, or giants, or even both. I mean it would be strange if 4 humanoid races live on the same planet (with the humans being basically “ridiculously human aliens”) and none of them is related to another.

Human and Norn Romance?

in Norn

Posted by: viennapleads.1784

viennapleads.1784

My norn would like to make a man of Logan. In fact here she is showing Queen Jennah how superior her height is. XD

Attachments:

Human and Norn Romance?

in Norn

Posted by: Lionera.7908

Lionera.7908

in future patches maybe, anet can always rescrap and branch out storylines. it could be asuras finally finding a cure to finally combat the inability of the different races to cross reproduce(excluding asura and sylvari, as sylvaris for me seem like the type to just grow oout of the ground and asuras are just too small to handle races twice their size ;D)

Human and Norn Romance?

in Norn

Atlas.9704

My norn would like to make a man of Logan. In fact here she is showing Queen Jennah how superior her height is. XD

thumbs up
I approve.

Human and Norn Romance?

in Norn

Posted by: Briggins.1526

Briggins.1526

No crossbreeding? Then how do you explain my Elonian Norn?

Attachments:

Human and Norn Romance?

in Norn

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Let’s not get into that ugly debate about whether or not dark-skinned Norns are lore-breaking… :/

Human and Norn Romance?

in Norn

Oglaf.1074

Let’s not get into that ugly debate about whether or not dark-skinned Norns are lore-breaking… :/

Lore-breaking, sure. But you can make one helluva cool Mr. T look-alike! If only our jewelry accessories showed up on your character…

Do you even lift, bro?

Human and Norn Romance?

in Norn

BuddhaKeks.4857

I made a pretty acurate Uncle Phil from Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. He always looks like he just found out about Will’s latest screw-up.

Also the Carlton Dance works wonderful on him.

Human and Norn Romance?

in Norn

Posted by: Sharkinu.8096

Sharkinu.8096

I think we have evidence that romance between a norn and a human is possible.

Attachments:

Human and Norn Romance?

in Norn

Oglaf.1074

That’s not a Human.

It is a very, very ugly Oompa Loompa.

Do you even lift, bro?

Human and Norn Romance?

in Norn

Posted by: Brutalistik.6473

Brutalistik.6473

I think we have evidence that romance between a norn and a human is possible.

Norns are like the same height as Charrs, so we speaking of 8ft or 10ft. I think 6ft are the smallest a norn can go.

Pineapples

Human and Norn Romance?

in Norn

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Assuming Norn have the manpart and girlpart in the first place, logically they should be able to do it with a human, but probably not be able to reproduce.

At least, Human Men can do it with Female Norn. Come on, how many people in this thread want to Snoo-Snoo with Eir?

Human and Norn Romance?

in Norn

Oglaf.1074

It’d be like throwing a hotdog down a hallway… A very tiny hotdog and a huge hallway.

Do you even lift, bro?

Human and Norn Romance?

in Norn

Atlas.9704

Still might be worth it.

Human and Norn Romance?

in Norn

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

In my opinion norn are just big humans. I think that they are at least part of the homogeneous which would account for variations in bone structure. For example : if a neanderthal and human kitten sapiens) can mate , why can’t norn and human too ? If a german shepherd can have little dog babies with a chihuahua , why can’t norn and human have babies too ? I think lore wise it should have been a moral dilemma , not “norn and human cant have babies because ArenaNet said so”

I understand this post is a month old, but the one flaw I see here is Your comparison of dog breeds. Yes the two are different breeds but they are the same species which allows for reproduction. With the exception of those darn hybrid animals.

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

Human and Norn Romance?

in Norn

Posted by: Setun.4368

Setun.4368

Norn male and human female I definitely cannot see just because of ‘size issues’ as it were….human male and Norn female most likely will would suffer the same problem as well.

Human and Norn Romance?

in Norn

Zaxares.5419

Norn male and human female I definitely cannot see just because of ‘size issues’ as it were….human male and Norn female most likely will would suffer the same problem as well.

You could always have an abnormally small Norn male or an unusually large human male. The shortest Norn female is only about a head taller than the largest human male, for example. That’s well within normal size variation between human males and females.

Human and Norn Romance?

in Norn

Oglaf.1074

That’s not the kind of size he is talking about…

Do you even lift, bro?

Human and Norn Romance?

in Norn

BuddhaKeks.4857

Well there is an old german saying that goes: “If it does not fit, make it fit.” /cough

Human and Norn Romance?

in Norn

Zaxares.5419

That’s not the kind of size he is talking about…

Oh, I knew that, but genitalia size would also shrink commensurately with the decrease in size of the Norn partner. If a near human-sized male Norn were to have as big a “sword” as a gigantic Norn, he’d probably pass out every time he had an erection because of the sudden decrease in blood circulating in his body.

Human and Norn Romance?

in Norn

Posted by: Thia.4891

Thia.4891

Romance? Of course. Offspring? Not so much. I’m guessing there are no offspring because A) Science say that’s pretty unlikely and The artists don’t want to have to make models for half-this and half-thats.

That being said, my (female) norn Ranger and my (female) human Mesmer are madly in love. They are both Lightbringers, so I would say their legend is pretty equal.

(Sigurdas MoonEyes and Ronja) (Myrin Crowneguarde) (Yarza Steelfang) (Luqq) (Nevnia)

Human and Norn Romance?

in Norn

BuddhaKeks.4857

That being said, my (female) norn Ranger and my (female) human Mesmer are madly in love. They are both Lightbringers, so I would say their legend is pretty equal.

Tell me more…

/places pillow on his lap

Human and Norn Romance?

in Norn

Posted by: Ramethzero.3785

Ramethzero.3785

Edit: I have two norns. My ele looks very obviously mongol wearing furs and looking very warriorlike. I pretty much count him as Siberian Canthan. My other norn is russian/slavic necromancer. I am debating on whether or not ANet purposely made Norns so that they can be so easily stereotypical.

For the Toast!
Tarnished Coast Server

(edited by Ramethzero.3785)

Human and Norn Romance?

in Norn

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

I made a siberian norn. Looks like a mongol warrior, only HUGE! No one said that all norns had to be entirely descended from norwegian style stock.

Pic please!

and i agree. Mine is Native American.